MXA

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 8:33 AM

Does anyone know if the editors @ MXA ever reached Pro level in MX?

|

6/13/2018 8:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 8:37 AM

A believe a few of them did. As far as pro level grammar & editing, no!

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

6/13/2018 8:38 AM

What difference does it make? Sure never reached Pro in the proofreading class.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/13/2018 8:40 AM

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

|

6/13/2018 8:42 AM

Jody invented the motorcycle

|

6/13/2018 8:46 AM

I don't think Michael from Vital has ever reached the pro class and he's pretty damn knowledgeable.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/13/2018 8:49 AM

mx43 wrote:

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

Maybe its because they have been the only strictly Moto mag for over 40 YEARS and the staff probably ride/race more in one month than the bulk of the readers on here do in a year ?? Just a guess though...........


|

6/13/2018 8:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 8:51 AM

mx43 wrote:

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

I'd say they are experts because it's what they do day in and day out. They've been in the game since the early 70's. I know a lot has changed and things aren't as good as their glory days and people like to crap on them, but I'd still consider opinions from them. Oh and what the guy above me said too.

|

6/13/2018 8:55 AM

Darrell, Stapleton and Jody all raced pro. I believe others have too, but those are the ones I know for sure.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

6/13/2018 9:08 AM

I saw Jody at CMC races at Saddleback in the late 70's. He was not riding the pro class then.

|

6/13/2018 9:29 AM

mx43 wrote:

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

Maybe 50 years of racing almost every weekend, testing every MX bike made, riding almost every Works/Factory Bike made, testibg most top tier products, most hop-up shops products, etc have taught them a few things....

|

6/13/2018 9:32 AM

How dare you ask that question here, in this sacred sanctum of knowledge, with only a handful of Pro riders. silly

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

6/13/2018 9:34 AM

mx43 wrote:

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

There's a million members here who think they're experts and never raced A class.

|

6/13/2018 9:52 AM

How many magazine staff, editors, or journalists anywhere raced at pro level? And why would that even be necessary to contribute to a magazine? Does racing a bike fast make you a better writer? More knowledgeable? Not in my view.

In regards to Jody, he’s raced pretty much every weekend for more than forty years. He’s probably raced the most motos of anyone in the world, ever. He’s ridden, (or more likely, raced) practically every motocross bike that’s ever been built and I’d wager he’s forgotten more about motocross than most people will ever know. He also has a Masters degree.

I’d say he’s adequately qualified.

|

6/13/2018 10:00 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

How dare you ask that question here, in this sacred sanctum of knowledge, with only a handful of Pro riders. silly

holy sh!t this made me almost spit my coffee out LOL

|

6/13/2018 10:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 10:03 AM

Anyone who has worked in the business for that long is pretty knowledgeable. Being a pro racer is not a requirement to be an expert. I really don't understand the hate for MXA here. They have been one of the few constants in MX for the 40+ years I've been following the sport. It's only been quite recently that any other outlets have matched their bike testing and information provided to readers.

|

6/13/2018 10:46 AM

Some of the guys have been wicked fast over the years and Daryl Ecklund I believe is probably their fastest test rider that's on staff.

|

6/13/2018 10:52 AM

mx43 wrote:

Does anyone know if the editors @ MXA ever reached Pro level in MX?

Does anyone know if @GuyB even owns a dirt bike?

How about doing a little background checking on who has tested bikes and contributed to MXA over the years before you go making yourself look too silly.

|

6/13/2018 10:57 AM

mx43 wrote:

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

Squirrelings wrote:

There's a million members here who think they're experts and never raced A class.

w00t grin
|

6/13/2018 11:03 AM

PRM31 wrote:

Anyone who has worked in the business for that long is pretty knowledgeable. Being a pro racer is not a requirement to be an expert. I really don't understand the hate for MXA here. They have been one of the few constants in MX for the 40+ years I've been following the sport. It's only been quite recently that any other outlets have matched their bike testing and information provided to readers.

Is it really hate or simply poking fun at them for the proofreading/editorial stuff and the whole add a tooth to the rear sprocket thing?

I used to buy their magazine years ago but now only visit their site once in a while. Personally there's no hate from me. I just think the stuff I mentioned is funny.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/13/2018 11:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 11:09 AM

Their proof reading, or lack thereof, is worthy of poking fun at!

|

6/13/2018 11:15 AM

mx43 wrote:

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

They have been around from the start and have forgotten more about MX than most riders will ever know. Just because they might come off as tools doesn't mean they dont know what they are talking about.

|

Ed Johnson

6/13/2018 11:18 AM

Look at the list of test riders. McGrath,Brooks,Moorewood,Stapleton etc etc. These guys are just a few and they know a thing or two about MX/SX and going fast.

|

Ed Johnson

6/13/2018 11:26 AM

Nothing I read relaxes me more than my monthly MXA on the crapper.... Only mag I still get mailed to me.

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

6/13/2018 11:26 AM

PRM31 wrote:

Their proof reading, or lack thereof, is worthy of poking fun at!

But their cut and paste skills and the ability to reuse some of the same articles every 3-5 years is top notch! Even if they post a photo with it that doesn't match up to what they're writing about.

Seriously, spelling, grammar, and proper journalism skills died about a generation ago and I don't see them coming back. Read any of the so called newspapers or, even worse, their online versions and you can see that getting the facts straight is a distant second to supporting their desired narrative. Unfortunately, the instant gratification generation takes it all in as gospel.

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

6/13/2018 11:28 AM

You lost me after Brooks. Never heard of the last two dudes. Obviously no championships. So not that fast?

|

6/13/2018 11:31 AM

Well, take the goat. Look what he did to his Honda. So the best rider in history would say to put the bars in your lap?

|

6/13/2018 11:38 AM

mx43 wrote:

You lost me after Brooks. Never heard of the last two dudes. Obviously no championships. So not that fast?

Well,who might you be ?

|

Ed Johnson

6/13/2018 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 11:44 AM

mx43 wrote:

Just wondering why they think they are experts in their field!

Because they race EVERY single weekend possible (more than 40 races a year) and often ride the other weekends. They test new products over long time periods and compare them back to back, head to head and test rider to test rider....not just for one day. They use test riders ranging from mini beginners to vet pros. They are tight with a lot of the factory teams...they had the Pro Circuit suspension guru, Jim "Bones" Beacon writing articles for them!...I don't know how you get any more "expert" than that! Oh, and they don't rely on hot chicks to sell mags. I don't know of ANY other American mags that do this.

I wonder...if you're the ONLY ONE in your field, is it wrong to consider yourself an expert?

|

6/13/2018 11:38 AM

Robgvx wrote:

How many magazine staff, editors, or journalists anywhere raced at pro level? And why would that even be necessary to contribute to a magazine? Does racing a bike fast make you a better writer? More knowledgeable? Not in my view.

In regards to Jody, he’s raced pretty much every weekend for more than forty years. He’s probably raced the most motos of anyone in the world, ever. He’s ridden, (or more likely, raced) practically every motocross bike that’s ever been built and I’d wager he’s forgotten more about motocross than most people will ever know. He also has a Masters degree.

I’d say he’s adequately qualified.

Jody actually has a Ph.D.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!