MXA

mitch199
Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 3:38am
This is a serious 'off-season' topic..

But has MXA's website (read, mid season report) just become shit?

I used to love it...
|
9/13/2017 1:19am
The web site part of MXA have always been shit. Used to love MXA but they are stuck in the past.
TJMX947
9/13/2017 5:35am
When John Basher left MXA and went to JGR the Mid-Week report got really bland.
omalley
9/13/2017 6:14am
MXA has allowed time to pass them by. I also used to enjoy them, but given Jody's tone on everything I suspect he is most of the reason. I admire him for trying to keep the sport's integrity and roots intact, to a point. However, there's only so much "the sport was so much better in the 70's, we didn't need water cooling or long travel suspension" a person can take before they move on. He reminds me of the old guy in the stained recliner surrounded by beer cans and cigarettes, telling you "how it was in his day" and offering his solutions to the world's problems.

On the testing side, they continue to bash play riders and their "hardcore racing" level on setups is a joke. Not to mention their fix for everything is +/- 10cc fork oil and one tooth on the rear.

They need to realize that a ton of riders are now what they call "professional practice riders" myself included. Racing? Been there, done that (over 20 years), got (numerous...) t shirts...with a family of four who rides, unless my kids show an interest in racing, why the hell would I pay more money for 8-16 laps, sitting around all day while they run 30+ classes, just to call myself a "racer"? I can go to an open ride day, and ride until the entire family is worn out, for less money.

The Shop

rongi#401
9/13/2017 6:43am
omalley wrote:
MXA has allowed time to pass them by. I also used to enjoy them, but given Jody's tone on everything I suspect he is most of...
MXA has allowed time to pass them by. I also used to enjoy them, but given Jody's tone on everything I suspect he is most of the reason. I admire him for trying to keep the sport's integrity and roots intact, to a point. However, there's only so much "the sport was so much better in the 70's, we didn't need water cooling or long travel suspension" a person can take before they move on. He reminds me of the old guy in the stained recliner surrounded by beer cans and cigarettes, telling you "how it was in his day" and offering his solutions to the world's problems.

On the testing side, they continue to bash play riders and their "hardcore racing" level on setups is a joke. Not to mention their fix for everything is +/- 10cc fork oil and one tooth on the rear.

They need to realize that a ton of riders are now what they call "professional practice riders" myself included. Racing? Been there, done that (over 20 years), got (numerous...) t shirts...with a family of four who rides, unless my kids show an interest in racing, why the hell would I pay more money for 8-16 laps, sitting around all day while they run 30+ classes, just to call myself a "racer"? I can go to an open ride day, and ride until the entire family is worn out, for less money.
are you aware that daryl was a dam good pro and knows more about racing than you ever will?
bvm111
9/13/2017 6:44am
omalley wrote:
MXA has allowed time to pass them by. I also used to enjoy them, but given Jody's tone on everything I suspect he is most of...

Bingo!!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself
Bigfoot
9/13/2017 7:08am
It seems that their website has no proofreader. Every article has elementary school level grammar and spelling errors, sometimes even in the headline!
TJMX947
9/13/2017 8:18am
I read MXA for the nostalgia articles and they do some pretty good bike builds. As mentioned I admire Jody's effort to keep the core roots of the sport in tact.

They do produce a lot of grammatical errors these days and I've found shit that is factually wrong regarding old bikes and racers...like obvious stuff that anybody who was born after 1993 should know.

Still my magazine of choice but RacerX is gaining ground. I feel like Basher gave the Mid-Week report spice with behind the scenes look at what they had going on, a little local flair in whatever MX community he happened to be in, products, and just the general 411. Since Ecklund took over it has the high school "I did this book report because I had to" feel. No jabs at him because I think he's a funny guy and enjoy his bike test videos.
omalley
9/13/2017 8:31am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 8:39am
omalley wrote:

rongi#401 wrote:
are you aware that daryl was a dam good pro and knows more about racing than you ever will?
Funny, I don't recall him being on any factory teams. In my mind a "really good pro" is someone consistently in top 10 in SX/MX and typically on a factory or semi-factory ride (not always)..and please try something more original than the "so and so was a pro, so they automatically know more than you" line. First, it isn't automatically true (and in many cases is totally false), second, MXA is also about the mechanical side, and as a rule I know more pros who don't know the difference between a Phillips and a straight blade than do.
I might also point out that you have no idea who I am. For all you know I could be an ex-factory guy. I'm not, but the point is valid.
davistld01
9/13/2017 8:39am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 8:40am
Why a new thread just to bash MXA? Jeez...

I realize a lot of what is posted here is fact, but MXA has done a lot toward keeping this tiny little sport of ours out front, in color and on the newstands for a long, long time. Also, the publisher (still?) Roland Hinz was very stringent about keeping the magazine family-friendly for everybody, so he never allowed any NSFW pics of hot young models dresssed in bikinis or even less in the advertising at all. That's not for everybody, I know...and for the opposite we have RacerX and TWMX, so to each their own...but I think the guy deserves kudos for doing what he thinks is right, and that's keeping the magazine cool for moto-kids coming up, and that's what will keep this sport alive...not us old farts who have quit racing to be full-time trail riders.

Yeah, Jody is showing his age by being overy nostalgic (like I get sometimes), but he's been around a long time and seen a lot more than most. Like him or not, he's still involved and keeping the sport alive.
tblazier
9/13/2017 8:47am
Personally, I still really enjoy MXA and it is one of the few magazines I actually still read cover-to-cover each month. Their web site is pretty awful, but the magazine is still solid IMO.
9/13/2017 8:50am
Mxa is still MILES better than racerx or the other "lifestyle" mags. I want to see bikes, articles about bikes, and pics of bikes. I care not about any of the other shit.
mx_563
9/13/2017 9:01am
Growing up I was a huge fan of Hi-Torque publications (Dirt Bike and MXA). I come from the Tim Tolleson, Ed Arnet, old-school Tom Webb, and Rick Sieman era.

A small group of people seem to have made good money on these magazines while getting to do a lot of dirt bike riding on the latest and greatest equipment. If I'm not mistaken, Jody owns an airplane, Wolfman's daughters have horses, these are not cheap hobbies. So understandably, despite their age, these guys don't want to give up what has arguably been the best gig in the business.

But at this point, it seems like Wolfman has long since run out of funny colloquialisms, and I've seen the same Jody's Box articles repeated in multiple issues of MXA. About a year ago I was in Valencia and drove up Anza Dive to check out Hi-Torque headquarters. The parking lot was empty and the doors locked. It was a weekday. It felt sad.

I feel like the Hi-Torque torch was never passed down to the next generation and now it's become a moot point because the flame is all but extinguished.

mx_563
9/13/2017 9:07am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 9:08am
Mxa is still MILES better than racerx or the other "lifestyle" mags. I want to see bikes, articles about bikes, and pics of bikes. I care...
Mxa is still MILES better than racerx or the other "lifestyle" mags. I want to see bikes, articles about bikes, and pics of bikes. I care not about any of the other shit.
It's not a competition between RacerX and MXA. Everyone agrees that bike articles are desirable. But not if they lack credibility. We've got AARP members adjudicating the performance of products designed primarily for the 20-something demographic. Would you buy a cell phone based on a 70 year old's opinion, under the premise that he used telephones before you were born - therfore he must be an expert?

mx_563
9/13/2017 9:11am
tblazier wrote:
Personally, I still really enjoy MXA and it is one of the few magazines I actually still read cover-to-cover each month. Their web site is pretty...
Personally, I still really enjoy MXA and it is one of the few magazines I actually still read cover-to-cover each month. Their web site is pretty awful, but the magazine is still solid IMO.
Tony, I respect you and your opinion but surely you've noticed how Jody re-uses his old Jody's Box columns from time to time. Doesn't this get under your skin a bit?
Motoxdoc
9/13/2017 9:48am
mitch199 wrote:
This is a serious 'off-season' topic..

But has MXA's website (read, mid season report) just become shit?

I used to love it...
I just read your first sentence and knew I didn't need to read more...but I did anyway and confirmed my thoughts. Yes they allow time to pass them by....but not without riding, racing and testing new products for the consumers benefit. Furthermore, who DOESN'T allow time to pass them by?....seems like an arbitrary thing to say. MXA staff races EVERY weekend they possibly can and ride every other weekend. They race test the newest bikes, often ones we haven't even seen yet. They enlist test riders from all realms...mini riders to beginners to pros to vets. IMO, it's the best mag out there for the serious racer OR the serious play rider that's concerned about performance of their products. EVERY MX rider/racer I know fits into one of these two categories. With that being said, I also like Transworld and Racer X. Motocross is such a small niche industry in the big picture of life. Why wouldn't we all try to empower those who empower our sport? After all, the worst MX mag is still better than the best fashion mag....right?

NorCal 50+
9/13/2017 10:00am
It is pretty clear Jody DGAF anymore- he's rich, he flies his planes, he is the ultimate SoCal moto insider, the magazine is his personal moto diary. He has seen a million hotshots come and go and nothing impresses him except his R.E.M racing buddies.
rongi#401
9/13/2017 10:34am
omalley wrote:

rongi#401 wrote:
omalley wrote:
Funny, I don't recall him being on any factory teams. In my mind a "really good pro" is someone consistently in top 10 in SX/MX and...
Funny, I don't recall him being on any factory teams. In my mind a "really good pro" is someone consistently in top 10 in SX/MX and typically on a factory or semi-factory ride (not always)..and please try something more original than the "so and so was a pro, so they automatically know more than you" line. First, it isn't automatically true (and in many cases is totally false), second, MXA is also about the mechanical side, and as a rule I know more pros who don't know the difference between a Phillips and a straight blade than do.
I might also point out that you have no idea who I am. For all you know I could be an ex-factory guy. I'm not, but the point is valid.
well ive seen him in person throw down some serious heat at the wyvern/redbull sx track.
and he was in team wyvern in 06/07 under a big rig.
how many night shows have you made?
rongi#401
9/13/2017 10:35am
rongi#401 wrote:
omalley wrote:
Funny, I don't recall him being on any factory teams. In my mind a "really good pro" is someone consistently in top 10 in SX/MX and...
rongi#401 wrote:
well ive seen him in person throw down some serious heat at the wyvern/redbull sx track. and he was in team wyvern in 06/07 under a...
well ive seen him in person throw down some serious heat at the wyvern/redbull sx track.
Tracktor
9/13/2017 10:41am
rongi#401 wrote:
well ive seen him in person throw down some serious heat at the wyvern/redbull sx track. and he was in team wyvern in 06/07 under a...
What fucking difference does that make now that he is a journalist? Just because someone can ride an MX bike doesn't automatically make them good at everything. Plenty of guys have made night shows and are almost illiterate. You are arguing from a standpoint that has no basis in reality..................No dog in this fight as I haven't read MXA in over 10 years so have no idea if this guy can write or not.........
pete24
9/13/2017 10:54am
i used to have a pile of mags come every month now i only get MXA
im old and like it or not most of the people buying new bikes these days are too
they race, i race, i listen to them
rongi#401
9/13/2017 11:21am
rongi#401 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
What fucking difference does that make now that he is a journalist? Just because someone can ride an MX bike doesn't automatically make them good at...
What fucking difference does that make now that he is a journalist? Just because someone can ride an MX bike doesn't automatically make them good at everything. Plenty of guys have made night shows and are almost illiterate. You are arguing from a standpoint that has no basis in reality..................No dog in this fight as I haven't read MXA in over 10 years so have no idea if this guy can write or not.........
well bro is trying to discredit mxa for no reason
mx317
9/13/2017 11:24am
I've seen some bad spelling and grammar on other magazine websites lately. That may be why RacerX is hiring an online editor.
gsxr6
9/13/2017 11:58am
Mxa will be missed when it is gone. Places like vital have unfortunately made the print side basically irrelevant. Guy deserves credit for jumping on the wave earlier than many, and mxa will need to spend serious time and money on the online side if they want to survive. Jody is good friends with the publisher right? Don't be surprised if mxa folds up when he packs it in. On a side note, don't be surprised if ktm goes down hill when Roger retires, as Honda and Suzuki weren't really ever quite the same after he left imho. Sport wouldn't really be the same without these guys, would it?
9/13/2017 12:07pm
The whole thing is Jody's soap box. They need some new blood. Time to sail of into the Glen Helen sunset Jody and let the mag continue. Let it go man. Let it go
Bruce372
9/13/2017 1:03pm
MXA should get an environmental award for all the recycling they do on their articles.
MelonFan123
9/13/2017 1:14pm
the obsession/hate - or even the obsession to hate - on MXA fascinates me.

The ratio of MXA threads to other magazine threads started on Vital has to be like 10 to 1 Laughing

Motoxdoc
9/13/2017 1:53pm
the obsession/hate - or even the obsession to hate - on MXA fascinates me. The ratio of MXA threads to other magazine threads started on Vital...
the obsession/hate - or even the obsession to hate - on MXA fascinates me.

The ratio of MXA threads to other magazine threads started on Vital has to be like 10 to 1 Laughing

You can tell who the people are that eat, breathe, sleep and live MX. Hint: they AREN'T the ones who bash the magazine who's had our sports back for more than 4 decades....or is it 5?
IceMan446
9/13/2017 2:36pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
You can tell who the people are that eat, breathe, sleep and live MX. Hint: they AREN'T the ones who bash the magazine who's had our...
You can tell who the people are that eat, breathe, sleep and live MX. Hint: they AREN'T the ones who bash the magazine who's had our sports back for more than 4 decades....or is it 5?
Completely disagree with this.

Opinions are considered bashing now. Who would have thunk it would come to this.

Post a reply to: MXA

The Latest