MX tracks near Savannah, Bluffton, Beaufort area?

Indy mxer
Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 4:44am
My wife and I aren't too far from retirement. Hopefully 3 years or less.
We hate winter!!
So we're looking to buy a place to live for the winter months in or near these areas. I plan on riding moto until I can't, so having a place to ride is very important.
I was wondering if there are many tracks within an hour or two? Are they any good? Is there a moto scene?

We're going back to Savannah and Charleston in a couple weeks to look around these areas and check out the real estate.

Thanks in advance!!
|
ZM956
7/10/2017 6:13am
I'm out of Augusta, and there is four tracks anywhere from a 30 minute drive to about a hour an half drive away. Savannah is about 2 1/2 hour trip from Augusta, and I have seen a few folks from that area come out and ride 296 MX or mad goat mx. Its in Stapleton, Ga and that track rips!
Indy mxer
7/10/2017 6:16am
Thanks for the info. How far is it down to WW in Jacksonville? I love that place.
7/10/2017 6:38am
Plenty of room in south Georgia in Black River Development...just three miles from NFMX and 40 minutes to WW. Hint, hint...
ZM956
7/10/2017 7:08am
Indy mxer wrote:
Thanks for the info. How far is it down to WW in Jacksonville? I love that place.
I am about four hours from Jacksonville but from Savannah it should only be a two hour drive down there.

The Shop

Indy mxer
7/10/2017 6:50pm
Plenty of room in south Georgia in Black River Development...just three miles from NFMX and 40 minutes to WW. Hint, hint...
We're open to other ideas. But we don't want to build.
My wife has decided she doesn't want to move, just get a nice smaller home to spend the winter and keep our place here. Since we now have grandchildren, she's not wanting to permanently relocate.

Our 2 main requirements are: Places to ride moto, and reasonable distance to the beach.
And of course good neighbors like you and your wife. lol
Wade221
7/10/2017 7:02pm
Might consider Saint Simons Is. When I lived there, it was about a 30 minutes drive to NFMX and Dirt Farm, and 20 minutes to Menards in South Newport. Just about an hour to Bostwick and Pax
MX47
7/11/2017 5:01am
I live about 50 miles from Savannah in winter and summers in Minnesota. Other than my own track the closest is a little over an hour Northwest of me (296mx). After that it is over 2 hours everywhere.

If it were me I would look for a place in Extreme Southern Ga. or Northern Florida. That gives you WW, Bostwick, Dirt Farm, NFMX, Etc. And a little farther to County Line, Gatorback, Orlando MX and others.
Not sure what you are looking to spend but of course St. Simons Island will be expensive. Should be plenty of places in South Georgia very reasonably priced.

It will not be typical beach weather in the winter with highs in the 60's-70's and lows from 40-50 just generally speaking depending on month. But it usually is perfect weather for moto!

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hope this helps.
Indy mxer
7/11/2017 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 3:45pm
MX47 wrote:
I live about 50 miles from Savannah in winter and summers in Minnesota. Other than my own track the closest is a little over an hour...
I live about 50 miles from Savannah in winter and summers in Minnesota. Other than my own track the closest is a little over an hour Northwest of me (296mx). After that it is over 2 hours everywhere.

If it were me I would look for a place in Extreme Southern Ga. or Northern Florida. That gives you WW, Bostwick, Dirt Farm, NFMX, Etc. And a little farther to County Line, Gatorback, Orlando MX and others.
Not sure what you are looking to spend but of course St. Simons Island will be expensive. Should be plenty of places in South Georgia very reasonably priced.

It will not be typical beach weather in the winter with highs in the 60's-70's and lows from 40-50 just generally speaking depending on month. But it usually is perfect weather for moto!

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info MX47!! We're open to a little farther south.

Good riding weather is what I want for the winter. It sucks here! We'll have time to hit the beach when we go down during the warmer weather.

Our Son lived in Myrtle Beach for a while so I'm kind of familiar with the winter weather there. We're looking to live a bit out in the country or in a smaller town. Just a nice home, but smaller than we have here.

We've heard good things about Beaufort/Bluffton area, but if the mx tracks are too far that's a problem. lol
MX47
7/11/2017 6:02pm
MX47 wrote:
I live about 50 miles from Savannah in winter and summers in Minnesota. Other than my own track the closest is a little over an hour...

Hope this helps.
Indy mxer wrote:
Thanks for the info MX47!! We're open to a little farther south. Good riding weather is what I want for the winter. It sucks here! We'll...
Thanks for the info MX47!! We're open to a little farther south.

Good riding weather is what I want for the winter. It sucks here! We'll have time to hit the beach when we go down during the warmer weather.

Our Son lived in Myrtle Beach for a while so I'm kind of familiar with the winter weather there. We're looking to live a bit out in the country or in a smaller town. Just a nice home, but smaller than we have here.

We've heard good things about Beaufort/Bluffton area, but if the mx tracks are too far that's a problem. lol
Since you have no attachments down there I would definitely go for extreme South Georgia. You should be able to get something really nice for cheap, especially in a small town. The cost of living there is very low compared to most places.
That area has a lot of open area if you want to live in the country or a small town. Altho my idea of a small town may differ from yours as the one I live in on I-16 West of Savannah has 2500 people and no I didn't leave out a "0" lol. I find that my friends who live in the Atlanta area think 20,000 is a small town.

Also that far South tends to be much warmer than South Carolina, I have ridden every weekend thru the winter many times as the weather is very predictable and dependable, nothing like here in Iowa/Minnesota lol.

Anyway if riding is the #1 priority the closer to Florida while staying in Georgia for the cheap cost of living would be the best bet imo.
AngryBear
7/11/2017 8:22pm
i lived in savannah for 5yrs. have been fortunate to have lived in/around some prime mx areas (so cal, east texas). currently live 4hrs north of savannah, and visit family still there several weeks out of the year. also have a father in law that lives in beaufort, so i'm very familiar with the area.

not an ideal spot if you are moving with motocross being a big draw. tybee is savannah's beach, and it can be a good haul/trafficy to get to on busy weekends, depending on where exactly around savannah you live. GA has a small strip of barrier islands that are very nice, jekyll or st simons are the ones to check out. boht of those are about 1hr south of SAV and 1hr or so away from jacksonville tracks (WW/etc, good stuff). on the SC side, lots of barrier islands between beaufort and georgetown. myrtle beach basically is your first beach thats not on an island on the entire span of coastline north of jacksonville. it's either marshes or islands.

FL has more/better tracks than GA and SC put together. from savannah, almost everything will be a 2+ hr drive. columbia, sc is not my favorite city, but it has a few tracks around it. if moto was a main draw, i'd be looking at FL, or the FL GA border area, or inland around ATL. although you couldn't pay me to live near ATL...

i know those areas well, let me know if you have other questions i can help with.
Indy mxer
7/12/2017 3:32am
AngryBear wrote:
i lived in savannah for 5yrs. have been fortunate to have lived in/around some prime mx areas (so cal, east texas). currently live 4hrs north of...
i lived in savannah for 5yrs. have been fortunate to have lived in/around some prime mx areas (so cal, east texas). currently live 4hrs north of savannah, and visit family still there several weeks out of the year. also have a father in law that lives in beaufort, so i'm very familiar with the area.

not an ideal spot if you are moving with motocross being a big draw. tybee is savannah's beach, and it can be a good haul/trafficy to get to on busy weekends, depending on where exactly around savannah you live. GA has a small strip of barrier islands that are very nice, jekyll or st simons are the ones to check out. boht of those are about 1hr south of SAV and 1hr or so away from jacksonville tracks (WW/etc, good stuff). on the SC side, lots of barrier islands between beaufort and georgetown. myrtle beach basically is your first beach thats not on an island on the entire span of coastline north of jacksonville. it's either marshes or islands.

FL has more/better tracks than GA and SC put together. from savannah, almost everything will be a 2+ hr drive. columbia, sc is not my favorite city, but it has a few tracks around it. if moto was a main draw, i'd be looking at FL, or the FL GA border area, or inland around ATL. although you couldn't pay me to live near ATL...

i know those areas well, let me know if you have other questions i can help with.
Thanks AngryBear. Definitely food for thought.

Been to Savannah a number of times and Charleston once. We really like both areas.
But moto is important to me.
As long as we can get to a beach in about 2 hours my wife is good with that. so going south or inland more might work.

I'm just trying to figure out where to start looking. I'd like to buy something this year if we can find what we want in a
area we like.

I may hit you up when we get farther along. Thanks for all the help.

And no, I don't want to be near Atlanta either.

Firefly47
7/12/2017 5:15am
We used to live in Savannah. Very happy we left.
The crime and violence led us to move away. Not sure if you have kids, but the schools in the area are a joke.
If I were you, look further south towards Brunswick area.

Post a reply to: MX tracks near Savannah, Bluffton, Beaufort area?

The Latest