MX track insurance?

MM Racing
Are there any track owners that can share their experience with track insurance? Do you insure races and practice? Racers and spectators? What company do you use? Rough estimate of premiums? Claims process? Thanks.
|
zippytech
11/17/2019 7:55am
It's a secret.. I have looked around a little bit and have never got a price or answer. One company I called wanted 12,000.00 per month that was not going to work.
Indy mxer
11/17/2019 8:00am
We pay about $600 for an open practice and about $1200 for a race. We use an Insurance company that deals in this type of stuff. Demo derbies, flat track and such.

Most tracks around here don't carry insurance for practice days. We have to, since we lease the land for our track from the City here.
MM Racing
11/17/2019 8:00am
zippytech wrote:
It's a secret.. I have looked around a little bit and have never got a price or answer. One company I called wanted 12,000.00 per month...
It's a secret.. I have looked around a little bit and have never got a price or answer. One company I called wanted 12,000.00 per month that was not going to work.
That's insanity! $12k per month would be prohibitive to track owners
zippytech
11/17/2019 8:27am
Yea it was.. K&K Insurance is who gave me a rough estimate. I did not need a quote after the ball park figure.

The Shop

Indy mxer
11/17/2019 11:33am
zippytech wrote:
Yea it was.. K&K Insurance is who gave me a rough estimate. I did not need a quote after the ball park figure.
Holy hell that's a lot!
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
11/17/2019 1:29pm
MM Racing wrote:
Are there any track owners that can share their experience with track insurance? Do you insure races and practice? Racers and spectators? What company do you...
Are there any track owners that can share their experience with track insurance? Do you insure races and practice? Racers and spectators? What company do you use? Rough estimate of premiums? Claims process? Thanks.
If you don't carry insurance you;re asking to be bankrupted. Also, some insurers will require you to have EMS on site for practice days, and every one I've ever heard of requires on site EMS for races (going to cost at least $125/hr for an ALS ambulance), So there's that. If you're all AMA sanctioned, you will have to have insurance and EMS for practice and racing. The flip side is using their preferred insurer typically costs less than just going it on your own.

If you're going it alone, shop around...best way to get decent rates. Also check out Markel insurance...they're a specialty underwiter and they do handle powersports events.

The club I belong to runs MX, harescramble, and flat track events. We typically pay about $1000 per race for insurance, and about $1200 for EMS per race. Practice days insurance is about $250 and our insurer does not require on site EMS for practices
Paw Paw 271
11/17/2019 2:45pm
Do your practice riding as a "membership only" set up. That will help with insurance and liability issues.

Paw Paw
Johnny Depp
11/17/2019 3:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2019 3:19pm
In Central TX the property policy is usually used for practice on a monthly basis. NM National Motorsports is a good insurer for events. Prices are based upon estimated riders and spectators. Spectator fencing is required, as well as photos and survey's of the property with drawings of your layout. For promoter's, often the track will have it's own insurance company and you can utilize that. 1 Day for under $500 in my case..
JustMX
11/17/2019 3:24pm
Do your practice riding as a "membership only" set up. That will help with insurance and liability issues.

Paw Paw
There is a little more to that than your post implies.

If you are going with the membership you best talk to an attorney or perhaps another track that has a good set up. Also ask the insurance companies if they have policies that are set up for that. A lot do for practices. If you run races then requiring memberships can hurt your turnout unless you are the only show in town.

Depending on the state you will probably have to have a detailed membership agreement. Throw in a clause that requires any disputes to be settled by binding arbitration.

No matter which way you go, post notices about dangers of riding and be hyper diligent on release forms. Regardless of what some vital experts will tell you about "they aren't worth the paper they are printed on", they can be very valuable.

No membership agreement or release is going to keep some people from filing litigation, but being knowledgeable and diligent can go a long way in determining how far it will go and how it ends.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
11/19/2019 2:06pm
There’s only a handful of Insurance companies that will insure tracks. K&K is the most known and will take on new operators for a hefty fee. If you have a good track record there are other companies that will cover it.

It just depends on where you are and what you want to insure.

Call K2 Insurance brokers in California, they helped us get insured for multiple venues, but it’s been five years since I was in the moto track insurance game. Dave knows the moto game. He might be able to get you in the right direction.

https://www.k2brokers.com/about/our-staff
Racerx930
11/19/2019 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2019 5:36pm
Call a broker and tell them you want a quote from western world insurance. We have family involved with the Street Outlaws TV show and they got us hooked up with them. VERY reasonable.
11/19/2019 5:58pm
Some of the training facilities use National Motorsports. Ours was reasonable for a facility that runs Monday thru Friday 49 weeks a year.
jtetchila1
11/19/2019 7:38pm
I promoted flattrack for 12 years and it was $792/race, if you did a two day race, it was 1/2 price for day two. Had to have an ambulance on sight. Feel free to email me at Jimterchila@yahoo.com if you have any other questions.

Post a reply to: MX track insurance?

The Latest