MX related - Supply and demand

stangkag
I'm curious what everyone thinks the sport needs more of? My wife and I are wanting to start our own business and ideally we are seeking something moto related.

Do we need more suspension shops, motor builders, mechanics, graphics shops, etc. I personally love working on and building bikes, I live in northwest Colorado and moto near me isn't very big. Most people own snowmobiles and side by sides.

If there's a need we could fulfill that would pay the bills that would be ideal, Thanks for the input

Kyle
Poll

Which MX niche has a greater need?

Choices
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/28/2021 5:58pm
Independent mechanic is the most likely from all those choices. Not everyone does their suspension or needs motor work, but sooner or later they'll need repairs.
EngIceDave
2/28/2021 6:43pm
I'll give you a business....free to anyone

Key to a successful business - "Find a problem and solve it"

Problem - People who have busy lives or are poor mechanics but like to ride or race.

Many people need a place/person to care for their bikes between rides. Many people also live in more urban areas and have no place to store a bike or work on it. Many also do not have truck/vans/trailers for same reasons or needs.

Point is, there are people who want to ride, but it is inconvenient or problematic.

This is kind of how I see it..... You become the "valet" for the owner's bike. You will not only store it, but also transport it to the track. Set up a tent (with all your logos and info), gas and everything...all for a fee, of course.

All your customer needs to do is spring out of his Lexus or BMW, into his gear and onto the bike.

When he's done, he leaves and you pack it all up.

Now, since you have the bike, you're doing all the work....wash, filter, chain, oil, etc....as well as watching the hour meter to perform necessary duties.
and again, all for a fee, of course.

Get a few bikes and a good rotation, you could be working with a fleet of bikes regularly. As more people see what you're doing and realize it's actually easier and cheaper because there's no more storage, transport, lubes, fuel or other things.....riders just ride

Almost like a local factory ride.

It's not a rental service. It's their own bikes, you are only the mechanic and valet.

Truck, trailer, warehouse and you're in business (Insurance, fees, blah, blah, blah...)

It'll work and don't listen to naysayers.
I'm a shit mechanic, I'd do it. I'd pay for it
SEE ARE125
2/28/2021 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2021 7:13pm
^ That’s a great idea, but I’d probably skip the transport to and from the track. Person A needs his bike at 10am at this track, Person B also needs his at 10am at another track 2hrs away. It’d be a logistical nightmare running bikes all over the place. I would offer cleaning, storage, and maintenance for bikes, UTVs, and snowmobiles. Customer drops off a filthy bike/UTV after a ride and leaves you with it. You clean it, give it a good look over and handle any maintenance issues before storing it. Next weekend, they call a couple hours before pickup, and you give the bike a pre-ride inspection, fill it with fuel and it’s ready for pickup. It’s like a marina, but for off-roaders.
stangkag
2/28/2021 7:55pm
You guys might just be on to something here! Ive read your replies to the wife and she likes it, just mentioned that moto is pretty well dead here though but we could offer this same service for all motorsports bikes, quads, sxs, snowmobiles etc.

I like it, thanks alot Dave and See Are125!

The Shop

EngIceDave
2/28/2021 8:22pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
^ That’s a great idea, but I’d probably skip the transport to and from the track. Person A needs his bike at 10am at this track...
^ That’s a great idea, but I’d probably skip the transport to and from the track. Person A needs his bike at 10am at this track, Person B also needs his at 10am at another track 2hrs away. It’d be a logistical nightmare running bikes all over the place. I would offer cleaning, storage, and maintenance for bikes, UTVs, and snowmobiles. Customer drops off a filthy bike/UTV after a ride and leaves you with it. You clean it, give it a good look over and handle any maintenance issues before storing it. Next weekend, they call a couple hours before pickup, and you give the bike a pre-ride inspection, fill it with fuel and it’s ready for pickup. It’s like a marina, but for off-roaders.
Make a schedule.

Initially, go where ever you got to go and make it work. Once you get busy, one option is scheduling (Track A this week, track B next) or hire on a buddy to do the runner/valet part to the track and play track butler.

Think about it....Guy can roll up, bike is there, you're like factory mechanic, y'all go over everything, he gets his gear on, goes out, flounders around like a fish on a dock, you tell him he's awesome, take his bike back to your place and send him a bill at the end of the month.

He gets to chill, you have a cooler of water, gatorade, maybe some fruit....remember, none of this shit is free, you're putting it all as part of the overall "valet fee." He gets done, packs shit and goes home, hopefully tips your guy out at end of the day.

It's a good plan. The right person with the right vision will crush it.
Think of as "How would I make it for some rich bratty rich guy?"
Even though most of your clients will just be regular guys who are just too busy with work, family, home, chores.
Guy spends a few hundred a month and he can ride without the hassle
EngIceDave
2/28/2021 8:25pm
One thing to be careful of is tier pricing.

If you have varied pricing....different packages, someone will always feel slighted.

"I'm sorry, your package doesn't include..."
Everyone hates that shit

One price - One package

Everyone gets the same stuff and attention
EngIceDave
2/28/2021 8:27pm
BTW, think of all the poor guys who's HOA doesn't allow trucks or trailers

What do they do?

You fix their problem
EngIceDave
2/28/2021 8:30pm
stangkag wrote:
You guys might just be on to something here! Ive read your replies to the wife and she likes it, just mentioned that moto is pretty...
You guys might just be on to something here! Ive read your replies to the wife and she likes it, just mentioned that moto is pretty well dead here though but we could offer this same service for all motorsports bikes, quads, sxs, snowmobiles etc.

I like it, thanks alot Dave and See Are125!
Awesome.

Maybe different things different seasons?

Good luck

2/28/2021 9:36pm
A lot of people travel for work. Working a lot more now, no time for bike prep, etc. Maintence, storage, transportation, etc as listed above, good ideas. I,m having a huge problem trying to find a cr125. The chance of finding a bike on home time every 2.5 to 3 even 8.5 months. Is close to impossible. Start a co. That buys bikes for clients. I give your co. X amount, you find it. I pay a fee. Or threw a cash onto credit card your co has, you charge 350.00 fee. For finding , buying a bike. I don,t hv time to play games with people. I thought I had a mint cr125, then it’s sold. Next time I,m home same thing, if I even find a bike.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/2/2021 8:48am
^ Pala Raceway wanted to do the storage/valet service thing when they first opened and nobody utilized it. I don't know if they ever got it off the ground at all. I don't want to be a naysayer, but I just want to provide info for the OP.
kb228
3/2/2021 9:07am
Engine builders and mechanics are swamped in work.

Literally all of the work i get is mostly because i can get them in and out in a week(assuming parts arrive) instead of weeks or months later.
EngIceDave
3/2/2021 9:27am
Falcon wrote:
^ Pala Raceway wanted to do the storage/valet service thing when they first opened and nobody utilized it. I don't know if they ever got it...
^ Pala Raceway wanted to do the storage/valet service thing when they first opened and nobody utilized it. I don't know if they ever got it off the ground at all. I don't want to be a naysayer, but I just want to provide info for the OP.
It'll take tweaking. Problem I can see with a place like Pala doing it is no one wants to ride the same place every time if they don't have to.

Variety is the spice of life, right?

If it looked super professional, well set up and cost effective and you can show it, it'll become popular with those who need it. Your target marketing is a little different, because you don't know how many are on the sidelines due to time and storage space. How many can be brought back in? Need to target those in as well as entice those on the sides back in through an easy service where it's not a rental, it's just a storage and valet service for your own bike.

Rupert X
3/2/2021 9:35am
Mobile bike mechanic. If you could take your Sprinter to peoples driveways, do maintenance and minor repairs on bicycles and motorcycles....(?)
EngIceDave
3/2/2021 10:54am
Rupert X wrote:
Mobile bike mechanic. If you could take your Sprinter to peoples driveways, do maintenance and minor repairs on bicycles and motorcycles....(?)
That's good too. Same basic idea.

I'm a shit mechanic, even basics. But I can store my own bike. Someone to drop by once in a while and do a bit more than wash and filter
Denn700
3/3/2021 2:56am
I need someone in Louisiana or Texas that can fix vintage bikes. I have a garage full and every time I take them to the shop no one can fix them or they just don’t want to mess with them. I just want to ride/race them once or twice a year when I’m not taking my son to the track.
Wiff3
3/3/2021 6:47am
Rupert X wrote:
I did this for a couple of years. It went well. Regular maintenance can be done at the customers home. Anything larger (engine rebuilds, fork or shock service) the bike gets taken back to the shop.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/3/2021 7:40am
Falcon wrote:
^ Pala Raceway wanted to do the storage/valet service thing when they first opened and nobody utilized it. I don't know if they ever got it...
EngIceDave wrote:
It'll take tweaking. Problem I can see with a place like Pala doing it is no one wants to ride the same place every time if...
It'll take tweaking. Problem I can see with a place like Pala doing it is no one wants to ride the same place every time if they don't have to.

Variety is the spice of life, right?

If it looked super professional, well set up and cost effective and you can show it, it'll become popular with those who need it. Your target marketing is a little different, because you don't know how many are on the sidelines due to time and storage space. How many can be brought back in? Need to target those in as well as entice those on the sides back in through an easy service where it's not a rental, it's just a storage and valet service for your own bike.

I like your idea but I don't know about the liability when/if something breaks. Is it because you didn't oil the filter correctly? You said you would set up my suspension and it works like crap. I'm sure repair shops have the same issues so maybe it isn't a thing. I like the mobile repair service idea. Many people are getting into that type of thing with mobile dog groomers, barber shops, food trucks, etc.
ktmdan
3/3/2021 8:00am
I think suspension and graphics are extremely saturated these days. Probably because they are easier to manage than running a rebuild shop. One issue we have run into is that in order to gain access to some of the bigger distributors, you must have an actual storefront (AKA can't work out of shop at home). Having a storefront increases the overhead by a massive amount and is not totally feasible unless you're willing to go all in (aka quit your full time job that provides you with insurance.)

Post a reply to: MX related - Supply and demand

The Latest