MX racing dead in my area.....

Steve 396
Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 1:50pm
So, I live in NW Florida and we have no races here. We have a few tracks within 1.5 hours but none of them hold races and what a bummer that is. The rider base is not as good as it used to be and I am sure the economy has taken a bite out of our sport. There was a glimmer of hope as one of the 3 was supposed to join the series we run in Alabama but they backed out saying they couldn't be ready with the level of prep and commitment that the series deserved. The closest track that races is 1:45 min away so I have a question or two about what needs to be done. I don't have the resources or the time / money to buy land and start a track but I would really like to see a resurgence in this area.

1. It seems that 95% of the riders that we do have only practice, how can they be convinced to race?

2. How do we convince the track owners to invest in the sport and build something good here?

3. Our local dealerships do not support mx (probably because nobody buys bikes or gear there). How can we change that?

It sure would be nice to be able to attend a 5-6 round series like TWMX has in both ends of California. It would be nice to have something like Vet X or OTHG racing here with some support classes for the kids. Can someone help me with that in our area? Ok, I know that isn't going to happen but it would be nice to have that level of racing here.

I know all of the track owners here and can pass on some ideas.

Thoughts??????
|
trailhopper
8/25/2014 4:53pm
That GIF of a country gentleman smacking a horse lying on the ground with a stick inserted here.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
8/25/2014 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 5:14pm
It's tough. Here in michigan I'm conflicted by the proposition of 3 tracks to practice for free (1 AMA, 2 practice) and doing races at other AMA tracks. I don't care to line up every weekend and would rather spin 100 laps instead of 10.... That's the tough spot for promotors.

So-cal seems tightly regulated as far as private land riding, so maybe that helps push people to mid week practices and weekend races.(chime in Cali guys)

The Shop

Steve 396
8/25/2014 5:28pm
[img]https://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif[/img]
Maybe you are right but entertain a noob here......
228YZ
8/25/2014 5:28pm
Steve check with Oak Grove. They just started up again and they used to race regularly.
Steve 396
8/25/2014 5:31pm
228YZ wrote:
Steve check with Oak Grove. They just started up again and they used to race regularly.
I have talked to Eric and he wants to try and hold races in the future. I raced there when Kevin owned it. As you well know we need more places to ride and race here!
vet323
8/25/2014 6:00pm
Do it yourself, Steve. Rent a track, buy liability insurance and some modest trophies. Talk to all the local dealers and explain what you are doing, be realistic about the value you can offer them as far as advertising and ask for some kind of help. If you are honest and open to them, they will all help in some way with sponsorship $ or swag.

It's ok to plan big, but start small and learn the drill-you will have to learn how to handle sign-up. scoring and track prep and that will be easier with fewer racers/motos to deal with.

One of the local track owners would probably be able to work out a rental fee based on entry numbers so neither of you are left hung out to dry. Maybe they would agree to talk the bulk of the gate fee and leave the entry fees to you. Build it steadily and you could have a nice local series that is fun first-serious second.

Just don't go into this looking to get rich-watch the money and be careful about going into business with any other people.
JB 19
8/25/2014 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 7:34pm
I think the way to get people to race is to give them something that is worth their time and money. Motocross in Ohio had been kind of stalled out for awhile.

The last few years a handful of tracks have stepped up with with great track prep, a fun atmosphere, and a respectable pro purse.

The result? 500-600 entries and 30+ pro entries. This weekend we had 40 riders in the pro class. Earlier this year one track had a 5000$ pro purse with no entry fee.

Pro riders draw a crowd. Shocking right?

Crush
8/25/2014 6:46pm
[img]https://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif[/img]
Steve 396 wrote:
Maybe you are right but entertain a noob here......
I love that Gif! hahaha...
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
8/25/2014 7:00pm
vet classes seem pretty solid. around 15 to 20 on the gate. one thing would change is the laps. 4 laps at the last one. thats not worth getting up for,lol. if you want more laps its 2 classes ,so thats 25-30 more bucks. like posted earlier,you can pay 20 and practice all day instead of $50. i would like a saturday night race. they are my favorite but nobody does them anymore around here.
8/25/2014 9:06pm
Approach a track about having outlaw (non AMA) races in the evening after 5PM for example on Saturdays or Sundays during the summer. This allows the track to hold their usual practice until that time. Obviously the track will collect money from all the gate fees for both their practice riders and your racers. Hold your riders meeting around 4:30 and have the first group of practice take off immediately after the riders meeting. Do a separate practice for A, B, C, 85cc, 65cc and 50cc Doing practice this way allows people who could not attend practice all day to get a few minutes on the track and it only takes an hour out of your allocated time. Start racing immediately at 6PM. Keep your classes simple. Maybe even offer a money class where all the entries go back to the riders (Giving the money class guys the option to vote on whether the money is divided or winner takes all usually spices it up too!). Depending on the time restraints, you may have to combine classes like 250/450 C, but that won't be an issue in the beginning because you probably will not have full gates. $20 for one class, $10 for an additional class. Talk with companies, not just local companies, about contributing something for the winners and offer trophies to the races you cannot line something up. Plaques are usually cheaper than trophies. Do around 1 race per month on one of the three tracks so it is not too overbearing on any of your local tracks. This gives local guys the opportunity to compete in an affordable friendly environment. If it takes off, you will have more room to negotiate with tracks and sponsors of your events. Getting tracks to prep before your races will be tough, but it is possible.

One more thing, always round up flaggers, bring the flags yourself and ask for volunteers. If you are short of flaggers offer discounted class prices or a free class and allow them to switch off during their moto with someone else. No one wants to race without flaggers.

We used this system to hold races at tracks in Pennsylvania, and it worked pretty well for us. Some tracks we had more room to negotiate for more time and help as the series grew. We ended up building a small little community and it was a blast for many years. Hope this helped some and if you have any questions you think I could assist with, let me know!
8/25/2014 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 9:25pm
For racing or practice I would go to Riverside Raceway in L.A. (lower Alabama) they are good people and take good care of their track and grounds.
Ghouldini
8/27/2014 8:58pm
vet classes seem pretty solid. around 15 to 20 on the gate. one thing would change is the laps. 4 laps at the last one. thats...
vet classes seem pretty solid. around 15 to 20 on the gate. one thing would change is the laps. 4 laps at the last one. thats not worth getting up for,lol. if you want more laps its 2 classes ,so thats 25-30 more bucks. like posted earlier,you can pay 20 and practice all day instead of $50. i would like a saturday night race. they are my favorite but nobody does them anymore around here.
Don't know where in Ohio you are but Delta runs Saturday night racing - although they are part of the MRA not AMA .

https://sites.google.com/site/mraracing1/
JB 19
8/27/2014 9:42pm
vet classes seem pretty solid. around 15 to 20 on the gate. one thing would change is the laps. 4 laps at the last one. thats...
Malvern also does Saturday night races. racemalvern.com
The Rock
8/28/2014 12:51am
TeamGreen wrote:
Move
Be careful grasshopper. I don't want my home state (OH) invaded by Floridians in search of Buckeye moto nirvana. Laughing z
hillbilly
8/28/2014 6:24am
Yep,that is the reason local racing is dead. High cost,low track time and if the run them damn quads the track is shot after their race.

I've thought a great way to have competition at a practice track would be transponders and lap times.

That way you could point at your buddies lap time and laugh at him.
TeamGreen
8/28/2014 6:30am
TeamGreen wrote:
Move
The Rock wrote:
Be careful grasshopper. I don't want my home state (OH) invaded by Floridians in search of Buckeye moto nirvana. Laughing z
Oh, don't sweat that...I was gonna send him to your current location for the free-internet and the great hiking...Laughing
-eagle-
8/28/2014 6:44am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 8:16am
Trim classes, add laps, shorten the program.
All these LL specific classes are pointless for weekend warrior racing.

8/28/2014 7:22am
We have a series around here called Masters of Motocross that caters to older riders. They start much later and with fewer classes. It works great. The vibe is much more relaxed and fun, and you don't have to be on your bike at 7:45 in the morning.
it's a point series and they do legit tracks like buds creek and Tomahawk.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzergj8v/mastersmx/id9.html

2014 Classes
30+A
30+B
30+C
35+A
35+B
40+A
40+B
45+A
45+B
50+A
50+B
55+
60+
Open A
Open B
Open C
250B
250C
Beginner
Women
Unlimited B/C

mmain62
8/28/2014 7:33am
I feel as if it goes in spurts, I wish I could trust people enough to come ride my personal track without getting hurt but I can't. My local track Galesburg IL has zero practice days, its membership only allowance, and when they do have moto races their plan of action is to make practice a mudder, 1st moto will still have some moisture, 2nd moto is so dry and choppy if you can even manage to see through your goggles you'll surely be terrorized by acceleration bumps like moguls and braking bumps like stadium whoops. It seems like nobody cares about prep work any more atleast in my 45 minute circle of tracks. Hopefully you can find some help down there.
yz763
8/28/2014 8:03am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 8:03am
Having been a former resident of North Flroida, MX is dead around there as it is everywhere else. Most of the tracks are pretty bad (with the exception of Riverside). The people that run the tracks are borderline incompetent, and there is no incentive or reason to even race for a racer or a promoter. The parents and people at the track are enough for me to want to get a boat and a fishing pole and never even see a motocross track again.
I also think the bikes are so good that your normal average joe can't jump on a bike and go race it or even ride it a day or two a week. The bikes these days require so much setup and time(read..$money$) to make them safe that you can't even ride at 100% unless MX is your full time job. I got to the point where I was bored because I was cruising around at 65% which is no fun so I bailed. The technology is amazing but technological progression is slowly taking this sport from BMX style simplicity to the complexity of a real motorsport. Most people don't have the time or resources to compete at that level which results in a trickle down where turnout suffers and dealerships can't sell bikes so they quit stocking them. This sport/ industry is in a serioius depression and is on the verge of becoming a distant memory for the local racer.
Toste
Fantasy
794th
8/28/2014 9:24am
hillbilly wrote:
Yep,that is the reason local racing is dead. High cost,low track time and if the run them damn quads the track is shot after their race...
Yep,that is the reason local racing is dead. High cost,low track time and if the run them damn quads the track is shot after their race.

I've thought a great way to have competition at a practice track would be transponders and lap times.

That way you could point at your buddies lap time and laugh at him.
Although you're probably only joking about the timed qualifying for open practice idea, I think it could really work if people in this sport were actually capable of thinking outside the box.

Have one or two long motos at the end of the day for anyone who qualified top 40 in open practice (or however many riders the track could accommodate). All the benefits of open practice days, plus real full-length motos. Would stop the sandbagging problem dead in its tracks too.
bvm111
8/28/2014 9:59am
Follow the money trail... If it stopped (as in a recession) the racing stops. Simple economics really....
user760a
8/28/2014 10:13am
bvm111 wrote:
Follow the money trail... If it stopped (as in a recession) the racing stops. Simple economics really....
Im not sure it is that simple. the moto scene died in my area some years back. did everyone just quit riding? no. The off road racing (hare scrambles, etc) scene is huge now and continues to expand.
The Rock
8/28/2014 10:34am
TeamGreen wrote:
Move
The Rock wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Oh, don't sweat that...I was gonna send him to your current location for the free-internet and the great hiking...Laughing
Now that's funny.
dedi684
8/28/2014 10:45am
Too many classes! Shorter motos while the cost keeps increasing. Thats the cause but the end result is these outlaw races and new orgs. Problem is the competition is watered down as hell and now im paying all that money to race against only 5 guys for 4 laps.
bigborefan
8/28/2014 1:20pm
dedi684 wrote:
Too many classes! Shorter motos while the cost keeps increasing. Thats the cause but the end result is these outlaw races and new orgs. Problem is...
Too many classes! Shorter motos while the cost keeps increasing. Thats the cause but the end result is these outlaw races and new orgs. Problem is the competition is watered down as hell and now im paying all that money to race against only 5 guys for 4 laps.
Outlaw race? In whose eyes?

AMA is a joke in IL.
dedi684
8/28/2014 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 1:51pm
dedi684 wrote:
Too many classes! Shorter motos while the cost keeps increasing. Thats the cause but the end result is these outlaw races and new orgs. Problem is...
bigborefan wrote:
Outlaw race? In whose eyes?

AMA is a joke in IL.
I think you misunderstood me, there is virtually no AMA racing around here. The AMA sucks!
Seems like most tracks are deciding to have their own series.

Post a reply to: MX racing dead in my area.....

The Latest