MX race rig debate

Edited Date/Time 6/4/2021 9:21am
So I wanted to get some input from the mx community on this, here is the deal.

My daughter and I ride/race/open practice around New England, my current rig set up is a Nissan Titan SV 4x4, (5.6 v8), and a really nice Forest River No Boundaries toy hauler model 19.1. (the 19.1 has nothing to do with the length as this is 24'+? lol).

Issues-
The truck- It has a 6" lift kit on it and huge 35" tires. So you feel every little bump and the rolling resistance is way more with the tires, so I am sure Im down on HP and Torq. It tows fine around town, but when we travel up at elevation in NH, Maine, etc, the hills and engine rpm, (and trans temp) is an issue. It hasn't overheated but close a few times. The motor and trans are tight, only has 84k on it but I find myself really romping on it to get it up long hills and as soon as we hit the back roads, the pace is slower and again, romping on it. Removing the lift and going backwards with the tire size is not an option on this set up as some stuff was made to fit and it is not going back correctly if I had the stocker stuff, (I don't).

The toy hauler- it is one of the nicer ones we could find, it is new, all works, but it is a hair "tight" inside after you load up spare wheels, (2) bikes, gear bags, tools, etc..so we have to put the pressure washer, gas cans, extras in the bed of the truck and it is like a load and unload every time we go to use it bc the truck is also our truck we use to get stuff like hay, (I own a farm), move large things, etc.

SO, there are a few options I have come up with and this is where I would like to table them and see if there are some different points of view on it.

Options-
Sell the truck and buy one that has a larger motor, no lift/large wheel kit. The Chevy/GMC 2500 series has a 6.6L motor in it and can haul the mail and then some all day long. The issue with this is Covid prices at the dealers and the price points. I have found a few that will work, crew cab, etc, but they are $50k, (my truck was $16k), the local dealer basically told me that they are going to get MSRP on the truck from me or someone else, the days of truck deals are gone, ouch. Do I want to spend $50k on a truck? NO. My contention to this was gas is going to $4 a gal here soon, I am not sure sure the dealers will still be getting MSRP, but I feel that the truck market will still be strong.

Keep the current truck and buy a used one with a huge motor that is dedicated to only hauling the race rig. The used prices are also nuts, AND most of these trucks have a crap ton of miles on them, used, beat on, etc. I could easily spend $29K on a used truck with 150k miles. And also now (2) trucks to register, taxes, maintain, etc.

Buy a funmover- this serves a few purposes and I keep coming back to this...it serves as a camper, mx hauler, etc,,one of the issues I have with this is if I have to leave or go somewhere, all your stuff has to be left or secured somehow. We used to have a class c motorhome and ran into this a few times and it sucked..I do have a line on a 2004 Thor 31' that is mint for not a lot of $.

Buy a dedicated boxvan and have it kinda converted. If it were just me, I would do it, but I have my daughter with me and I don't really feel like I want her taking a dump in a bucket at this stage of my life. I have had a few of these over the yrs with my boys and it was fine, but she needs a little bit of the private factor. I could make it so it had a shower, sink, beds, heater, use a genni for food, etc..that typical 90% race rig that you see that someone put a lot of time into to make it work, I don't have the time right now.

Please post back but be kind, thanks-
|
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
5/30/2021 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2021 2:58pm
How much does your camper weigh loaded? I just picked up a 2021 Chevy Silverado 6 cylinder duramax diesel and I absolutely love it in every way imaginable. I’m getting 26-27 MPG around town and 30 on trips. And depending where I go, I’m getting around 13-15 MPG pulling my Forest River Salem FSX toy hauler. I was lucky to get 16 MPG with my old 2018 Silverado with the V8 when I wasn’t hauling anything.
captmoto
5/30/2021 3:06pm
Simple fix, get your truck regeared for the larger tires and towing.
Agree. This will be your cheapest way out. Think about an aux trans cooler too, maybe add some capacity with a deeper pan. The overheat may be coming from the trans temps when hauling uphill.
5/30/2021 3:34pm
agn5008 wrote:
How much does your camper weigh loaded? I just picked up a 2021 Chevy Silverado 6 cylinder duramax diesel and I absolutely love it in every...
How much does your camper weigh loaded? I just picked up a 2021 Chevy Silverado 6 cylinder duramax diesel and I absolutely love it in every way imaginable. I’m getting 26-27 MPG around town and 30 on trips. And depending where I go, I’m getting around 13-15 MPG pulling my Forest River Salem FSX toy hauler. I was lucky to get 16 MPG with my old 2018 Silverado with the V8 when I wasn’t hauling anything.
4200lbs dry, plus two bikes, gear, etc,,,I would 5k or so, we don't tow with water as that can get heavy.

The Shop

5/30/2021 3:34pm
Simple fix, get your truck regeared for the larger tires and towing.
Thanks, I will look into what it has for gearing and see if there are even options.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/30/2021 3:53pm
I agree. The best bet is to maximize the efficiency of your existing rig. It's never really a financially sound idea to spend another $50K+ so you can save on gas mileage. Also, you say you've never actually had a failure with your current rig.

Unless you really WANT the Fun Mover. In that case..... Cool
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1232nd
5/30/2021 4:06pm
with gas and diesel prices on the rise, I would expect truck prices to drop, especially those with bigger engines.
crusher773
5/30/2021 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2021 1:24am
If you can't re-gear yours I'd go used route like a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins. Spend 10-15 get a good truck and it would be something for around the farm too. Maybe even sell your current one and buy 2 trucks 1 little truck like a Colorado or something for running around and the bigger truck for hauling and big stuff.
Dimblewambie
5/30/2021 9:41pm
Thanks, I will look into what it has for gearing and see if there are even options.
Surely someone will offer gears for those axles/differential. Like also mentioned look into additional cooling for the trans, potentially tuning as well. If the truck has tow/haul mode use it as it should lock up the converter earlier on acceleration which will in turn cause less heat. You don’t want your trans temp going over 220-230° for very long.
Dimblewambie
5/30/2021 9:42pm
crusher773 wrote:
If you can't re-gear yours I'd go used route like a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins. Spend 10-15 get a good truck and it would be something...
If you can't re-gear yours I'd go used route like a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins. Spend 10-15 get a good truck and it would be something for around the farm too. Maybe even sell your current one and buy 2 trucks 1 little truck like a Colorado or something for running around and the bigger truck for hauling and big stuff.
He’ll spend more keeping a 2nd gen dash together than a new truck!
Timo
5/30/2021 9:48pm
Just remove the lift and put stock size tires back on it.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
5/30/2021 11:31pm
Or you can test the market...

isn't MCR rig up for sale yet?
crusher773
5/31/2021 1:26am
crusher773 wrote:
If you can't re-gear yours I'd go used route like a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins. Spend 10-15 get a good truck and it would be something...
He’ll spend more keeping a 2nd gen dash together than a new truck!
Nah I got a vinyl cover for mine when it just started to crack. It was a glue on and unless you are looking for it can't even tell. Those dashes do suck though. Especially if you don't do anything about it.
Jack mehoff
5/31/2021 5:52pm
Nissian had a Cummings until 19 I pull a race car in a 20 ft box or a 29 ft boat around all the time with mine . If you are looking for a strong gas motor the Toyota Tundra 2008 up are a great truck also put air bags in the back to keep the weight even with the trailer and it will pull better . May be it was just mine but my Chevy that had the 6.0 had a nice motor but it rusted out like a cheap tin can and I had the weirdest stuff break on that truck
dedi684
5/31/2021 6:41pm
My 2500 hd 6.0 destroys fuel making those same trips. Horrible....
TeamGreen
5/31/2021 8:12pm
Ford F250 Tremor Lariat in your favorite color.
5/31/2021 9:06pm
Always get more- heavy duty truck, to pull a large trailer. I,ve seen 1/2 ton trucks pulling trailers , get out of control and roll. If you feel the trailer pushing the truck around at all. You need a bigger truck, 1 ton dually.
6/1/2021 12:24am
Take this with a grain of salt as I don't live in the states, but is there any reason you couldn't pick up a used F150/250/350? Seems like there are quite a few good examples in your neck of the woods for under $10k. From what I've heard there are loads of guys running long-haul towing businesses with them so would be well suited to the task.

That would be my pick of the solutions, everything else either requires inconvenience or massive cost you'll likely regret.

JBecker 72
6/1/2021 2:49am
Take this with a grain of salt as I don't live in the states, but is there any reason you couldn't pick up a used F150/250/350...
Take this with a grain of salt as I don't live in the states, but is there any reason you couldn't pick up a used F150/250/350? Seems like there are quite a few good examples in your neck of the woods for under $10k. From what I've heard there are loads of guys running long-haul towing businesses with them so would be well suited to the task.

That would be my pick of the solutions, everything else either requires inconvenience or massive cost you'll likely regret.

No way are there good examples of F250 and F350 under $10k right now. If so please post links. The used truck market is crazy.

Any reason you can’t just remove the lift and go back to the stock wheel and tire size? That would make the truck more useful to you overall.
6/1/2021 3:41am
Take this with a grain of salt as I don't live in the states, but is there any reason you couldn't pick up a used F150/250/350...

JBecker 72 wrote:
No way are there good examples of F250 and F350 under $10k right now. If so please post links. The used truck market is crazy. Any...
No way are there good examples of F250 and F350 under $10k right now. If so please post links. The used truck market is crazy.

Any reason you can’t just remove the lift and go back to the stock wheel and tire size? That would make the truck more useful to you overall.
Like I say, I'm not even in the states so don't really have a feel for the market or the technicalities. I just ran a search on AutoTempest for F150/250/350 newer than 2005, and under 150,000 miles 🤷🏼‍♂️ Seemed to be quite a few.
JBecker 72
6/1/2021 6:00am

JBecker 72 wrote:
No way are there good examples of F250 and F350 under $10k right now. If so please post links. The used truck market is crazy. Any...

Like I say, I'm not even in the states so don't really have a feel for the market or the technicalities. I just ran a search...
Like I say, I'm not even in the states so don't really have a feel for the market or the technicalities. I just ran a search on AutoTempest for F150/250/350 newer than 2005, and under 150,000 miles 🤷🏼‍♂️ Seemed to be quite a few.
Any full size late model truck under $10k right now is a ragged out rust bucket.
6/1/2021 8:10am
So I wanted to get some input from the mx community on this, here is the deal. My daughter and I ride/race/open practice around New England...
So I wanted to get some input from the mx community on this, here is the deal.

My daughter and I ride/race/open practice around New England, my current rig set up is a Nissan Titan SV 4x4, (5.6 v8), and a really nice Forest River No Boundaries toy hauler model 19.1. (the 19.1 has nothing to do with the length as this is 24'+? lol).

Issues-
The truck- It has a 6" lift kit on it and huge 35" tires. So you feel every little bump and the rolling resistance is way more with the tires, so I am sure Im down on HP and Torq. It tows fine around town, but when we travel up at elevation in NH, Maine, etc, the hills and engine rpm, (and trans temp) is an issue. It hasn't overheated but close a few times. The motor and trans are tight, only has 84k on it but I find myself really romping on it to get it up long hills and as soon as we hit the back roads, the pace is slower and again, romping on it. Removing the lift and going backwards with the tire size is not an option on this set up as some stuff was made to fit and it is not going back correctly if I had the stocker stuff, (I don't).

The toy hauler- it is one of the nicer ones we could find, it is new, all works, but it is a hair "tight" inside after you load up spare wheels, (2) bikes, gear bags, tools, etc..so we have to put the pressure washer, gas cans, extras in the bed of the truck and it is like a load and unload every time we go to use it bc the truck is also our truck we use to get stuff like hay, (I own a farm), move large things, etc.

SO, there are a few options I have come up with and this is where I would like to table them and see if there are some different points of view on it.

Options-
Sell the truck and buy one that has a larger motor, no lift/large wheel kit. The Chevy/GMC 2500 series has a 6.6L motor in it and can haul the mail and then some all day long. The issue with this is Covid prices at the dealers and the price points. I have found a few that will work, crew cab, etc, but they are $50k, (my truck was $16k), the local dealer basically told me that they are going to get MSRP on the truck from me or someone else, the days of truck deals are gone, ouch. Do I want to spend $50k on a truck? NO. My contention to this was gas is going to $4 a gal here soon, I am not sure sure the dealers will still be getting MSRP, but I feel that the truck market will still be strong.

Keep the current truck and buy a used one with a huge motor that is dedicated to only hauling the race rig. The used prices are also nuts, AND most of these trucks have a crap ton of miles on them, used, beat on, etc. I could easily spend $29K on a used truck with 150k miles. And also now (2) trucks to register, taxes, maintain, etc.

Buy a funmover- this serves a few purposes and I keep coming back to this...it serves as a camper, mx hauler, etc,,one of the issues I have with this is if I have to leave or go somewhere, all your stuff has to be left or secured somehow. We used to have a class c motorhome and ran into this a few times and it sucked..I do have a line on a 2004 Thor 31' that is mint for not a lot of $.

Buy a dedicated boxvan and have it kinda converted. If it were just me, I would do it, but I have my daughter with me and I don't really feel like I want her taking a dump in a bucket at this stage of my life. I have had a few of these over the yrs with my boys and it was fine, but she needs a little bit of the private factor. I could make it so it had a shower, sink, beds, heater, use a genni for food, etc..that typical 90% race rig that you see that someone put a lot of time into to make it work, I don't have the time right now.

Please post back but be kind, thanks-

My son and I went round and round on what to do. I have a High Country Duramax and had a 28' 5th wheel toy hauler. I was wanting an all in one rig for road tripping and not having to deal with the 5th wheel or constantly load and unload the pick up. We have been riding a lot and the 3 times a week loading and loading was getting old quick. I thought about Sprinters/Transits etc but even fully outfitted you still don't get a bathroom/kitchen or enough space and they end up in $70k range done right. I ended up with a '21 Outlaw 29j Class C Funmover Motorhome and I absolutely love it!!! My son and I use it like a sprinter. I take it to our local tracks and far away. It's nice having everything all in one.
The new ones went from the V10 to the Ford Godzilla 7.3 8 cylinder gas and it rips!! We drive over the Cascade Mountains and fully loaded it cruises at 65-70 fairly easily on the passes. It's sweet being at the track and having everything you need and if it gets cold or hot or windy, you just cruise inside and hang out comfortably. They are spendy AF but I found it's worth it. MSRP is $130k-$140k but I found a small dealer that wanted it off their books and they did it for $95k OTD.. The big dealer in Texas seems to wholesale them pretty affordably also.
Meister
6/1/2021 9:46am
I went the cheap dedicated hauler route and am searching for the right 5th wheel toy hauler.. for how cheap I picked up a true old man's 03 cummins dually for, it's afforded me to look at bigger nicer 5th wheels..
ChubbyCat113
6/1/2021 10:39am
If you go 3/4 ton or bigger get a Diesel engine! Those trucks will carry the weight you want but will drive just like your half ton! I was fortunate enough to have a friend sell me his dually......
Bruce372
6/1/2021 12:59pm
agn5008 wrote:
How much does your camper weigh loaded? I just picked up a 2021 Chevy Silverado 6 cylinder duramax diesel and I absolutely love it in every...
Yeah, I love my new duramax 3.0L..... 600 miles on a tank of diesel no matter whether it's freeway or around town.

Care to post a pic of what you are towing with it?
Bruce372
6/1/2021 1:02pm
My 2010 5.3L silverado sucked down the gas, maybe 300, 350 miles on a full tank on a good day.

When I last looked at gas V8 full sized trucks, the Nissan titan had the worst mpg ratings of all of them... can't imagine running one with a lift kit and big tires.

What happened to the Nissan titan diesel? Didn't it have a all new Cummins engine?
fourfourone
6/1/2021 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2021 1:42pm
agn5008 wrote:
The new Silverado is a nice truck but the reliability of new diesel in the 1500 is just plain awful. I had a 2019(new body style) with the 5.3. I ended up having to sue GM to get rid of it, it was such a turd. The diesel is even worse.

Bruce372
6/1/2021 2:15pm
agn5008 wrote:
The new Silverado is a nice truck but the reliability of new diesel in the 1500 is just plain awful. I had a 2019(new body style)...
The new Silverado is a nice truck but the reliability of new diesel in the 1500 is just plain awful. I had a 2019(new body style) with the 5.3. I ended up having to sue GM to get rid of it, it was such a turd. The diesel is even worse.

Oh shit. Thanks for ruining my day. Love this truck.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/1/2021 4:11pm
agn5008 wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
Yeah, I love my new duramax 3.0L..... 600 miles on a tank of diesel no matter whether it's freeway or around town. Care to post a...
Yeah, I love my new duramax 3.0L..... 600 miles on a tank of diesel no matter whether it's freeway or around town.

Care to post a pic of what you are towing with it?
I took this pic when I was setting up the weight distribution bars and hitch so don’t judge the sagging in the back. It’s good now but I didn’t take a picture of it hooked up after.

Post a reply to: MX race rig debate

The Latest