MX on blood thinners

kennyc
3/6/2022 6:41pm
New to the group of blood thinners... 46yo, male, normal exercise 3 days/week, plus Moto 2x month.

Brief story.
Sudden loss of breath when riding 2 weeks ago. Tried normal jogging, couldn't breathe. Went to the doctor who ordered CT Angiogram with contrast. Large PE between heart and right lung. Emergency surgery - thrombectomy - double tubes like a catheter up femoral vein, to heart, out to lungs. 2 days later and all good.

But now I'm starting Eliquis. I will report back with info from family doc and in 3 months will see hematologist. Going to not ride until I at least speak to the doc.
3/6/2022 7:56pm
kennyc wrote:
New to the group of blood thinners... 46yo, male, normal exercise 3 days/week, plus Moto 2x month. Brief story. Sudden loss of breath when riding 2...
New to the group of blood thinners... 46yo, male, normal exercise 3 days/week, plus Moto 2x month.

Brief story.
Sudden loss of breath when riding 2 weeks ago. Tried normal jogging, couldn't breathe. Went to the doctor who ordered CT Angiogram with contrast. Large PE between heart and right lung. Emergency surgery - thrombectomy - double tubes like a catheter up femoral vein, to heart, out to lungs. 2 days later and all good.

But now I'm starting Eliquis. I will report back with info from family doc and in 3 months will see hematologist. Going to not ride until I at least speak to the doc.
Good luck !
zehn
3/6/2022 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2022 8:03pm
I've been on Eliquis now for more than a year and for me its so much better than warfarin in every way. Risk of catastrophic or dangerous bleed events is lower, don't have to monitor or worry about INR, no dietary restrictions or considerations, I notice no chronic fatigue, etc.

If Eliquis is an option for anyone on blood thinners I would highly recommend speaking with your hematologist about switching over.

The only downside is the cost
Grouper
3/6/2022 8:20pm
Little hijack lol but can blood thinners be used as a “PED” of sorts to alleviate arm pump? Be nice, I don’t study medicine.

The Shop

zehn
3/6/2022 8:21pm
Grouper wrote:
Little hijack lol but can blood thinners be used as a “PED” of sorts to alleviate arm pump? Be nice, I don’t study medicine.
No
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
3/6/2022 10:11pm
Grouper wrote:
I wouldn't think so. "thinner" is a bit of a slang term. The medication doesn't really thin your blood. Instead it helps to limit your blood's ability to coagulate.
Dirt.Squirt
3/6/2022 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2022 10:40pm
kennyc wrote:
New to the group of blood thinners... 46yo, male, normal exercise 3 days/week, plus Moto 2x month. Brief story. Sudden loss of breath when riding 2...

Brief story.

Your doctor is going to tell you not to ride because well basically he has to. He can’t say oh yeah go huck some triples then have you or your insurance come back on him trying to sue because “the doctor said I could”

Eliquis Pradaxa and Xarelto all have “reversal agents” in the event where say you do crash real hard and suffer internal bleeding the staff at the hospital or in the EMT could administer one of these reversal agents to stop it.

The way I see it is Theres just as much risk riding as there is falling down your stairs or getting in a nasty car wreck and suffering the same fate….

I’m a lifer, took two years off and got so fat and depressed that I couldn’t handle it anymore. These days I go much slower and take into consideration that I need to ride well within my ability. Wear all the protective gear that you can, no sketchy jumps and keep it in the control zone

Ultimately it’s up to you.
RK651
3/6/2022 11:08pm
Grouper wrote:
fuck off
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
3/7/2022 12:15am
Your doctor is going to tell you not to ride because well basically he has to. He can’t say oh yeah go huck some triples then...
Your doctor is going to tell you not to ride because well basically he has to. He can’t say oh yeah go huck some triples then have you or your insurance come back on him trying to sue because “the doctor said I could”

Eliquis Pradaxa and Xarelto all have “reversal agents” in the event where say you do crash real hard and suffer internal bleeding the staff at the hospital or in the EMT could administer one of these reversal agents to stop it.

The way I see it is Theres just as much risk riding as there is falling down your stairs or getting in a nasty car wreck and suffering the same fate….

I’m a lifer, took two years off and got so fat and depressed that I couldn’t handle it anymore. These days I go much slower and take into consideration that I need to ride well within my ability. Wear all the protective gear that you can, no sketchy jumps and keep it in the control zone

Ultimately it’s up to you.
Actually, one of my doctors told me it probably doesn't matter. If I have some internal injury that kills me, it probably won't be Eliquis that makes the difference in killing me.
Hank_Thrill
3/7/2022 12:34am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2022 12:37am
Shit. I'm at the Cleveland Clinic now about to have surgery on three clots that developed in my stomach. They have been there for years apparently...
Shit. I'm at the Cleveland Clinic now about to have surgery on three clots that developed in my stomach. They have been there for years apparently and I did one of the biggest marathon mountain bike races in the world last year.

I've been wondering if I'll be able to race mountain bikes again after next week.
kinda old thread but wanted to see if you ever got to ride again
I just read this.

I recovered from the surgery and started riding in the winter of 2017. Became fitter than I had ever been pre-surgery in 2018 thanks to coaching from a good friend and normal blood flow.

I’ve raced mountain bikes and gravel events since then. Last year I won a 24 hour geared solo mountain bike championship in Palo Duro, TX (“24 hours in the canyon”). I was pretty stoked on how I raced. I bought a PS4 in the fall so the only motocrossing I do now is with a controller lol. After some races this summer I plan on focusing more on career. Thx for checking.

shanegray
11/4/2023 6:37am

Hey Guys,

I am 36 years old, been riding since I was 5 and just suffered a second heart attack while I was out riding at a local track. The ironic part is it happened exactly 6 years (to the date) from my first one; while also out at the track. Fortunately this time around, my doctor seemed to determine that this was a genetic issue where I have an aortic aneurysm. Doctors put me on Eloquis now but I have also been on Plavix the last 6 years. The cardiologist said absolutely no more motocross due to risks of a brain bleed. I’ve never been a trail guy, but may have to stop riding tracks altogether. Fortunately I live in Colorado where there are plenty of trails to ride but it just doesn’t satisfy my desire to fly. I’ve been really depressed after finding this out but I have a family and a small business and don’t want to risk serious injury or death due to a fall. 

I had a prettt nasty hematoma in my leg a couple years back due to the Plavix, and it was not even a nasty fall. This really sucks!! Motocross is the only thing I really enjoy in my free time. 
IMG 4924 1.jpeg?VersionId=tWTfa2p4

RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
11/4/2023 12:24pm
shanegray wrote:
Hey Guys, I am 36 years old, been riding since I was 5 and just suffered a second heart attack while I was out riding at...

Hey Guys,

I am 36 years old, been riding since I was 5 and just suffered a second heart attack while I was out riding at a local track. The ironic part is it happened exactly 6 years (to the date) from my first one; while also out at the track. Fortunately this time around, my doctor seemed to determine that this was a genetic issue where I have an aortic aneurysm. Doctors put me on Eloquis now but I have also been on Plavix the last 6 years. The cardiologist said absolutely no more motocross due to risks of a brain bleed. I’ve never been a trail guy, but may have to stop riding tracks altogether. Fortunately I live in Colorado where there are plenty of trails to ride but it just doesn’t satisfy my desire to fly. I’ve been really depressed after finding this out but I have a family and a small business and don’t want to risk serious injury or death due to a fall. 

I had a prettt nasty hematoma in my leg a couple years back due to the Plavix, and it was not even a nasty fall. This really sucks!! Motocross is the only thing I really enjoy in my free time. 
IMG 4924 1.jpeg?VersionId=tWTfa2p4

I recommend getting other medical opinions. One of my doctors just recommended that I skip my Eliquis for 24 hours before riding. 

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
11/4/2023 12:47pm
Waylon wrote:
Need some honest knowledge. Does anyone ride / race on blood thinner? Last year I developed clots in my left leg and was on Xarelto for...
Need some honest knowledge. Does anyone ride / race on blood thinner? Last year I developed clots in my left leg and was on Xarelto for 6 months. Was instructed no riding/mountain biking/surfing or generally anything fun. Blood work was done after 6 months and A clean bill of health was given. Now 4 months later they are in my right leg and lung. Now I'm not asking for diagnostics or sympathy, but I've come to the conclusion I'll be on this crap the rest of my life. I wear top end equipment and I know my limits, but I'll be damned if I'm sitting on my ass the rest of my life. So the question is, anybody out there ride on blood thinners? Thanks boys in advance for any input.
GuyB wrote:
[b]I can't express this strongly enough. This is a question for your doctor, not "medical experts" here[/b]. A friend of mine who was a world-class mountain...
I can't express this strongly enough. This is a question for your doctor, not "medical experts" here.

A friend of mine who was a world-class mountain bike racer had a heart valve replacement (with a mechanical valve), and had to run blood thinners afterwards. The sanctioning bodies wouldn't allow him to race because they feared that if he had a crash, he would bleed out before medical help could reach him.

It bugged him enough that he went back, had the surgery redone with a natural valve, and he came back to race a few more years.

I understand the desire to ride, and the reluctance to change your lifestyle. But if you have an issue with an injury at a track, you're going to also affect your friends, family, medical first responders, the track, etc.

Was he a great downhill rider? 

shanegray
11/4/2023 1:09pm
RichieW13 wrote:

I recommend getting other medical opinions. One of my doctors just recommended that I skip my Eliquis for 24 hours before riding. 

That’s a good idea! I have a follow up appointment with my normal cardiologist next week, so I will bring that up for sure. If the doctor at the hospital was adamant that I do not give any medication even once, but a second opinion is always a great idea.

shanegray
11/4/2023 1:10pm
RichieW13 wrote:

shanegray wrote:
That’s a good idea! I have a follow up appointment with my normal cardiologist next week, so I will bring that up for sure. If the...

That’s a good idea! I have a follow up appointment with my normal cardiologist next week, so I will bring that up for sure. If the doctor at the hospital was adamant that I do not give any medication even once, but a second opinion is always a great idea.

* skip any medications

ZinAZ
11/5/2023 9:20am
RichieW13 wrote:

shanegray wrote:
That’s a good idea! I have a follow up appointment with my normal cardiologist next week, so I will bring that up for sure. If the...

shanegray wrote:

* skip any medications

maybe switch to 4 wheels and a cage, colorado has some amazing offroading and the new SxS machines are unreal.  nothing will ever replace moto but this is as close as it gets.

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
11/5/2023 10:11am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2023 10:19am
Waylon wrote:
Thanks guys, and I an very aware of the risk. And as far as A quad, no effing way! I don't need A 800lb couch rolling...
Thanks guys, and I an very aware of the risk. And as far as A quad, no effing way! I don't need A 800lb couch rolling over me. Lol. I'm 48 ride with the vets and have ridden since I was 3. I know it's easy to say "find another hobby" but have you tried? It ain't that easy! Fishing and golf are not my thing.

I did this more for a change of scenery. I did a complete sell off of my motorcycles and motocross, but kept the MTB's and bought Porsche and been doing autocross and high performance education track days with the PCA (Porsche Club of America). Depending on your budget, you can get a Porsche Cayman under 30k these days if you don't want to go full in. But I have found going 4 wheels and doing track days has been as gratifying as the MX without the abuse on your body and cage for age. Can be budget friendly as MX, mostly tires, oil and gas. Their is plenty of social events which is nice to talk shop with other guys about our cars and admire the more expensive ones people show up with.  All regions of a local chapter. Here is mine...  https://rmr.pca.org/   The main site is https://pca.org/ We have made a lot of new friends and found Porsche owners to be way less pretentious then the other sports car clubs. 

I would recommend a Cayman S for lower budget and a GTS or GT4 if you can afford more. 

https://www.cars.com/shopping/results/?dealer_id=&keyword=&list_price_max=&list_price_min=&makes[]=porsche&maximum_distance=all&mileage_max=&models[]=porsche-cayman&monthly_payment=&page_size=20&sort=list_price&stock_type=used&trims[]=porsche-cayman-s&year_max=&year_min=&zip=80111

Post a reply to: MX on blood thinners

The Latest