MX isn't the only motorsport having financial problems

mojoman42
Edited Date/Time 2/16/2013 9:30am
|
JeremyL
2/15/2013 11:12am
My interest in F1 only extends to casual watching on speed, so it is interesting to hear that they are suffering this way. I also wasn't aware that the teams shared in the profit of the organization as a whole. It seems like there wouldn't even be an F1 series if it weren't for that.
BIGRIGGIN
2/15/2013 1:53pm
Everyone but Red Bull team is suffering. They seriously figured out a way to print money and lots of it. I've always wondered why Apple doesn't budget a small percentage into the sports marketing world ... their target demographics are pretty much everyone so it's a win win and last time I checked they had a big piggy bank full of ca$h.
yz414
2/15/2013 2:03pm
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Everyone but Red Bull team is suffering. They seriously figured out a way to print money and lots of it. I've always wondered why Apple doesn't...
Everyone but Red Bull team is suffering. They seriously figured out a way to print money and lots of it. I've always wondered why Apple doesn't budget a small percentage into the sports marketing world ... their target demographics are pretty much everyone so it's a win win and last time I checked they had a big piggy bank full of ca$h.
X2 didn't SONY have a team of some sorts? like GP1or something
mojoman42
2/15/2013 2:51pm
It really makes you realize how hard it must be for MX teams to get funding when even F1, a sport with huge global reach, is having trouble staying afloat.

The Shop

BIGRIGGIN
2/15/2013 3:18pm
mojoman42 wrote:
It really makes you realize how hard it must be for MX teams to get funding when even F1, a sport with huge global reach, is...
It really makes you realize how hard it must be for MX teams to get funding when even F1, a sport with huge global reach, is having trouble staying afloat.
I would guess the Tire Budget of a F1 team would run a first class Moto team. Big giant dollars in F1. Can't even compare it to anything else.
WhKnuckle
2/15/2013 3:26pm
mojoman42 wrote:
It really makes you realize how hard it must be for MX teams to get funding when even F1, a sport with huge global reach, is...
It's like Michael Jackson running out of money - no matter how much you have, you can find a way to spend it all if you try hard enough. And I wonder if motocross is doing the same thing. Does a motocross team really need 10 employees to support one rider? Does the bike really need new plastic every time it goes out on the track? Does the rider really need suspension that costs more than the average person makes in a year? How big of a shock would it be if the rider showed up for two consecutive practices wearing the same gear? I'm not suggesting a return to the days when one of the best riders in the world would show up at the races in a box van with a mechanic, a girlfriend and a dog; but maybe the sport is blinging its way to the poorhouse.
kwhite199
2/15/2013 4:19pm
Here is an article that has some figures on what they were spending before the financial crisis. I think "struggling" is a relative term. I doubt that many of the bigger teams are in danger of folding. There might be a couple of the back markers that are struggling and risk having to pull the plug. It's funny, what one of the back markers spends in a year could probably finance everything that happens in SX/MX for the entire season.

F1 Budget Info
2/15/2013 6:13pm
mojoman42 wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
It's like Michael Jackson running out of money - no matter how much you have, you can find a way to spend it all if you...
It's like Michael Jackson running out of money - no matter how much you have, you can find a way to spend it all if you try hard enough. And I wonder if motocross is doing the same thing. Does a motocross team really need 10 employees to support one rider? Does the bike really need new plastic every time it goes out on the track? Does the rider really need suspension that costs more than the average person makes in a year? How big of a shock would it be if the rider showed up for two consecutive practices wearing the same gear? I'm not suggesting a return to the days when one of the best riders in the world would show up at the races in a box van with a mechanic, a girlfriend and a dog; but maybe the sport is blinging its way to the poorhouse.
Amen, my man.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/15/2013 9:23pm
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Everyone but Red Bull team is suffering. They seriously figured out a way to print money and lots of it. I've always wondered why Apple doesn't...
Apple doesn't really need to IMO. Their stuff pretty much sells itself. It would probably just be throwing money away for them. I do think it would be cool if they did put some money into the sports marketing world though, I just don't see it happening.
Neutra
2/15/2013 10:41pm
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Electro21 wrote:
Apple doesn't really need to IMO. Their stuff pretty much sells itself. It would probably just be throwing money away for them. I do think it...
Apple doesn't really need to IMO. Their stuff pretty much sells itself. It would probably just be throwing money away for them. I do think it would be cool if they did put some money into the sports marketing world though, I just don't see it happening.
Apple is a dream sponsor. Cool brand, cool products. Unfortunately they keep all their cash, no sponsorship and if they did it would not be for motorsports. They have this fact in their dna. Too bad, I coud imagine our sick would look Team Apple Honda.
Neutra
2/15/2013 10:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2013 10:46pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
It's like Michael Jackson running out of money - no matter how much you have, you can find a way to spend it all if you...
THIS Exactly!!!!!
The JDR team is a great exemple in my opinion. I do not know the details of the expenses but it seems like evrything they did was first class (which I admire) but at one point you've got to go the distance and cut before it too late.
Some industry insider told me it cost about $500k per yr to have a 450 rider at every race and that's not including his salary.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/15/2013 10:46pm
Neutra wrote:
Apple is a dream sponsor. Cool brand, cool products. Unfortunately they keep all their cash, no sponsorship and if they did it would not be for...
Apple is a dream sponsor. Cool brand, cool products. Unfortunately they keep all their cash, no sponsorship and if they did it would not be for motorsports. They have this fact in their dna. Too bad, I coud imagine our sick would look Team Apple Honda.
Totally agree with you except for the Team Apple/Honda. I think it would be totally cool to see Team KTM/Red Bull/Apple. Wink
Neutra
2/15/2013 10:59pm
Any team would look cool with Apple as a title sponsor.
All white bikes and some Matte silver parts. And a big chrome apple logo on the shroud!
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/15/2013 11:08pm
Neutra wrote:
Any team would look cool with Apple as a title sponsor. All white bikes and some Matte silver parts. And a big chrome apple logo on...
Any team would look cool with Apple as a title sponsor.
All white bikes and some Matte silver parts. And a big chrome apple logo on the shroud!
I agree with you, I am just a big fan of KTM. The Apple logo would be cool on any machine.
GHR
2/15/2013 11:17pm
mojoman42 wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
This X1000000
ando
2/16/2013 12:25am
Not surprising. You can see the same profile in any motorsport. The top, say, 20-25% of teams can survive, because they get the exposure and/or are backed by factories that are less reliant on sponsorship. The remainder of the field are basically a revolving door of smaller teams.
2/16/2013 1:18am
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Electro21 wrote:
Apple doesn't really need to IMO. Their stuff pretty much sells itself. It would probably just be throwing money away for them. I do think it...
Their wealth is helped by paying just 1.9% tax outside of the US by using subsidiaries,these tax-avoidance loopholes used by those who can afford big fancy lawyers are being found out and cracked down on

They're not exactly going to go poor though are they,its strange that some companies are into sponsorship and some not,Starbucks can probably be ruled out they got found out for tax avoidance here last year and their shops are pretty deserted now.Thankfully for motorsport,the energy drinks companies have been around,its worrying to think how things would be if they slowed up
PressPassP
2/16/2013 1:24am
WhKnuckle wrote:
Neutra wrote:
THIS Exactly!!!!! The JDR team is a great exemple in my opinion. I do not know the details of the expenses but it seems like evrything...
THIS Exactly!!!!!
The JDR team is a great exemple in my opinion. I do not know the details of the expenses but it seems like evrything they did was first class (which I admire) but at one point you've got to go the distance and cut before it too late.
Some industry insider told me it cost about $500k per yr to have a 450 rider at every race and that's not including his salary.
Indeed,I've seen/heard of Everts and more recently Herlings rock up in a Sprinter van and blitz events,super talented I know but you get what I mean
Shawn142
2/16/2013 4:59am
Struggling is certainly all relative. Like the story says, F1 produces 1.5 BILLION world wide and has significant profit sharing with the teams according to where you finished in the constructor championship. There are a few bottom rung teams struggling just to make it to the paddock, but they were hardly stable to begin with. There are new circuits being built all over the world to house this series and their viewership is measured in the hundreds of millions. MX and its financial failings aren't even a pimple on the ass of F1.
JustMX
2/16/2013 5:58am
WhKnuckle wrote:
nail hit squarely on the head

and it even seems to be that way in the amateurs
2/16/2013 9:10am
WhKnuckle wrote:
JustMX wrote:
nail hit squarely on the head

and it even seems to be that way in the amateurs
I've thought the same for a while. Why do teams need Featherlite Haulers big enough to haul 2 NASCAR's with parts around for just 2 dirt bikes and parts? That's like buying a foot long hot dog and only eating 6 inches of it before throwing it away. Just a waste of money. Then you have privateers talking about flying to the races and renting cars and hotels for the weekend. What ever happened to driving and saving money?? Just because you were once in a position to have those amenities doesn't mean it's a forced requirement once it goes away.
Brent
2/16/2013 9:30am
WhKnuckle wrote:
winner winner chicken dinner.

" Blinging its way to the poorhouse"

Todays motocross/ supercross has zero resemblance to the sport that hooked me many years ago. Somebody show me a first time rider who is willing to spend $ 8500.00 for a dirt bike that needs endless maintenance.

Post a reply to: MX isn't the only motorsport having financial problems

The Latest