MX, injuries, and painkillers

Torco1
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:55pm
I've been wanting to bring this up for a while but havent, but with Devil1's ankle replacement topic going on I figured....what the hell?

Most of us that ride, if not all of us, have been injured at one point or another....some pretty bad. If you're like me and have had a lot of pretty bad injuries over the years then your body is shot to hell and hurts all the time. I was just curious if anyone has to rely on painkillers from time to or all the time for that matter and if so, how do you go about it? I'm not talking about Tylenol or Aspirin either. I mean Vicodin, Oxy, Percocet, etc......

Has it become a problem for you, does it affect your riding or make you more fatigued when riding? Has it ever got to a point where you got worried about addiction? I'm just curious cause I'm at the point where I hurt like hell all the time and it's either live with pain and be miserable or give in to pain meds and have to worry about that whole situation.
|
DanDunes818
11/18/2010 1:43pm
Torco1 wrote:
I've been wanting to bring this up for a while but havent, but with Devil1's ankle replacement topic going on I figured....what the hell? Most of...
I've been wanting to bring this up for a while but havent, but with Devil1's ankle replacement topic going on I figured....what the hell?

Most of us that ride, if not all of us, have been injured at one point or another....some pretty bad. If you're like me and have had a lot of pretty bad injuries over the years then your body is shot to hell and hurts all the time. I was just curious if anyone has to rely on painkillers from time to or all the time for that matter and if so, how do you go about it? I'm not talking about Tylenol or Aspirin either. I mean Vicodin, Oxy, Percocet, etc......

Has it become a problem for you, does it affect your riding or make you more fatigued when riding? Has it ever got to a point where you got worried about addiction? I'm just curious cause I'm at the point where I hurt like hell all the time and it's either live with pain and be miserable or give in to pain meds and have to worry about that whole situation.
I've battled with them off and on , like most MXers, most of my racing life. At this point in my life , at only 39 years old, I have arthritis in my knees (100's of bone spurs and two reconstructions) , chronic carpal tunnel in both wrist and degenerative disc disease in my back after two surgeries on it. I depend on pain pills to live a normal life. I have battled with abusing them before but I seem to have made the proper adjustments to reel in the issue. I got to a point where my wife actual gives them to me (2 a day) so I don't take more than prescribed. I take Opana extended release daily. Opana is new and is similar to Oxycontin. If there's anything I take to much of it's ibuprophen.

As far as riding on them goes I never really did that much and the times I did I was just play riding so I can't really say whether it helped or hindered my riding.
Brent
11/18/2010 2:09pm
Dude I'm old, and have so many injuries right now I have a Vicodin dispenser installed inside my helmet...

The Shop

Torco1
11/18/2010 2:17pm
Torco1 wrote:
I've been wanting to bring this up for a while but havent, but with Devil1's ankle replacement topic going on I figured....what the hell? Most of...

I've battled with them off and on , like most MXers, most of my racing life. At this point in my life , at only 39...
I've battled with them off and on , like most MXers, most of my racing life. At this point in my life , at only 39 years old, I have arthritis in my knees (100's of bone spurs and two reconstructions) , chronic carpal tunnel in both wrist and degenerative disc disease in my back after two surgeries on it. I depend on pain pills to live a normal life. I have battled with abusing them before but I seem to have made the proper adjustments to reel in the issue. I got to a point where my wife actual gives them to me (2 a day) so I don't take more than prescribed. I take Opana extended release daily. Opana is new and is similar to Oxycontin. If there's anything I take to much of it's ibuprophen.

As far as riding on them goes I never really did that much and the times I did I was just play riding so I can't really say whether it helped or hindered my riding.
I've had Opana before too. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've had to do the same thing, give them to my wife and have her give them to me so I dont take too many at a time. It sucks, I tried the Fentanyl patches for a while.......those things are scary man. They say they are about 100 times stronger then morphine and about 80 times stronger than oxy. They worked better than anything else I've ever had as far as pain control, but I was literally afraid to fall asleep sometimes because I was so loaded I didnt think I was going to wake up. It was pure hell to get off those though, the withdrawals lasted so long and were worse than anything else I've been on.
11/18/2010 2:17pm
When i broke my hip they cut me off from Percs because I was taking them too quickly. They are insanely addictive. The problem is, not only are you hurt-- you're bored, bedridden, and probably a little depressed.
I've seen people's lives destroyed by these things. I mean they lost everything- liveliehoods, careers, houses, vehicles. And still they take them. It creates a complete illusion of well being and intoxication that completely takes people over.

Torco are you doing any regular stretching or yoga? You will find it works wonders. I mean you can eliminate a great deal of the pain. If you are old and busted up (like me) and just ignore it and go through day to day life- you will get stiff and sore. You have more choices than just suffering, or taking painkillers.

11/18/2010 2:20pm
Torco1 wrote:

I've battled with them off and on , like most MXers, most of my racing life. At this point in my life , at only 39...

Opana is similar to oxycontin in that is synthetically derived from the poppie, but Opana is MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger!
Torco1
11/18/2010 2:26pm
When i broke my hip they cut me off from Percs because I was taking them too quickly. They are insanely addictive. The problem is, not...
When i broke my hip they cut me off from Percs because I was taking them too quickly. They are insanely addictive. The problem is, not only are you hurt-- you're bored, bedridden, and probably a little depressed.
I've seen people's lives destroyed by these things. I mean they lost everything- liveliehoods, careers, houses, vehicles. And still they take them. It creates a complete illusion of well being and intoxication that completely takes people over.

Torco are you doing any regular stretching or yoga? You will find it works wonders. I mean you can eliminate a great deal of the pain. If you are old and busted up (like me) and just ignore it and go through day to day life- you will get stiff and sore. You have more choices than just suffering, or taking painkillers.

Yeah, I strectch and ride an excercise bike regularly. I still ride mx 1-3 times a week, its just like you said though, its the down time when the pain and boredom sets in when things get bad. I'm only 34 and my doctors have told me straight up that I'm screwed. I have a hip replacement, my left ankle needs either fused or a replacement, I broke my T7 & T8, multiple ribs, sternum, collar bone, and had collapsed both lungs. My upper body is literally crooked and bones are misshaped and where they shouldn't be. It hurts just to breath in deep all on the left side of my upper body. The doctors just say to keep the pain meds to a minimum now so I dont build up to much of a tolerance because I will really need them later on in life.
DanDunes818
11/18/2010 2:30pm
Torco1 wrote:

Opana is similar to oxycontin in that is synthetically derived from the poppie, but Opana is MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger!
To be specific Opana is Oxymorphone. Oxymorphone is actually the active drug that Oxycontin turns into after it's metabalized through the liver. So technically it's the same as oxycontin but it cuts out the middle man. If you take oxycontin and are drug tested you will test positive for opana (oxymorphone). It doesn't get more similar than that IMO. Tongue Because the middle man (the liver) is cut out of the equation opana is exactly twice as strong as Oxycontin. A 10 mg opana therefore is the same as a 20mg Oxycontin.
Torco1
11/18/2010 2:36pm
Yep, Opana is way stronger. They just make it more "abuse resistant", that's why you dont hear to much about it like you do oxycontin.
Torco1
11/18/2010 2:39pm
Well, you know what this means. The next time there is a Vital event and we all show up, there is going to be one hell of a pill party. Grinning
DanDunes818
11/18/2010 2:42pm
Torco1 wrote:
Yep, Opana is way stronger. They just make it more "abuse resistant", that's why you dont hear to much about it like you do oxycontin.
Very true in the past. Now the oxycontins they have out are even more abuse resistant than opana is though. A few months back they changed the time release formula in the oxycontins.

Like you torco I try to keep it to a minimum because if I'm in this much pain at 39 I can't imagine how bad it will be at 60-70. I only take 2 10mg opana ER's a day at this point. I get two months at a time and we all know how it is when you run out early so , with my wife handing them out to me, I don't let that happen.

The biggest problem I had w/the pills is when I was on the 10mg vicodins (norcos). I was getting over 200 a month and asking for more and more because my tolerance was getting out of whack quickly. That's why he switched me to the opana ER's. They seem to work well and w/out the high I got from swallowing 4 norcos.
Torco1
11/18/2010 2:50pm
Torco1 wrote:
Very true in the past. Now the oxycontins they have out are even more abuse resistant than opana is though. A few months back they changed...
Very true in the past. Now the oxycontins they have out are even more abuse resistant than opana is though. A few months back they changed the time release formula in the oxycontins.

Like you torco I try to keep it to a minimum because if I'm in this much pain at 39 I can't imagine how bad it will be at 60-70. I only take 2 10mg opana ER's a day at this point. I get two months at a time and we all know how it is when you run out early so , with my wife handing them out to me, I don't let that happen.

The biggest problem I had w/the pills is when I was on the 10mg vicodins (norcos). I was getting over 200 a month and asking for more and more because my tolerance was getting out of whack quickly. That's why he switched me to the opana ER's. They seem to work well and w/out the high I got from swallowing 4 norcos.
I heard that about the oxy's, I didnt know it was an abuse issue though, I just thought they had a new manufacturer. That's going to piss off a lot of junkies. I think I'm going to ask my doctor to go back on the Opana's. I think those worked really good and like you said, it's nice to only have to take 2 pills a day instead of handfulls.

I just recently stopped the Fentanyl patch and my doctor started giving me 240 Norcos a month again and it only took a few weeks before I started going overboard. I made myself stop before I got out of hand and now I only allow myself 5 a day at the most. I see him next month and I'm going to ask for Opana. He's cool about giving me anything I ask for, he trust me cause he's seen every injury I've been through and knows I'm not making shit up.
MXMattii
11/18/2010 2:51pm
Devil1nNj wrote:
120mg of oxy a day.
How do you stay awake? Before my hip replacement I was taking 100 a 120mg and it's maybe different because in those days I was also taking some other stuff like happy pills but I was sleeping all day long 16 of the 24u. Crazy Shit ...

Now I keep it on 30 a 40mg a day and I hope if I get mine new knee (if I can convince mine doctor to place knee by a 20yr old)
DanDunes818
Torco1 wrote:
Well, you know what this means. The next time there is a Vital event and we all show up, there is going to be one hell...
Well, you know what this means. The next time there is a Vital event and we all show up, there is going to be one hell of a pill party. Grinning
Yep..lol

I remember when I was racing in Seattle I had a bike shop sponsor up there that bought all our pills when we got hurt. I'll leave the shop and guys name out of this but anyone that raced in Seattle may know who I'm talking about because his shop and his habit was pretty well known. I used to think it was weird that someone would pay $5-$10 a pill. I for sure understand why he did it now later in life. Myself and a few other guys from the team got to talking once and we wondered if we were given such a good sponsorship deal because we were accident prone racers that got pain pills a lot. lol

One thing for sure is if you've raced your entire life , like a lot of us have, either pain pills and/or pain will be a part of your life at some point. Also because MX is done by addictive personalities that love thrills a good % of us will battle addiction associated with those pills.

Period!!
BobbyM
Torco1 wrote:

i've been through some bad shit and never took much in the name of pain pills...a few friends always helped themselves to most of em anyways so i pretty much had to do without.

pain is relative for the most part and you really don't need them except in extreme cases imho.

englishman
11/18/2010 3:19pm
Torco1 wrote:
Yeah, I strectch and ride an excercise bike regularly. I still ride mx 1-3 times a week, its just like you said though, its the down...
Yeah, I strectch and ride an excercise bike regularly. I still ride mx 1-3 times a week, its just like you said though, its the down time when the pain and boredom sets in when things get bad. I'm only 34 and my doctors have told me straight up that I'm screwed. I have a hip replacement, my left ankle needs either fused or a replacement, I broke my T7 & T8, multiple ribs, sternum, collar bone, and had collapsed both lungs. My upper body is literally crooked and bones are misshaped and where they shouldn't be. It hurts just to breath in deep all on the left side of my upper body. The doctors just say to keep the pain meds to a minimum now so I dont build up to much of a tolerance because I will really need them later on in life.
How have you got hurt so badly ??
Torco1
11/18/2010 3:32pm
Torco1 wrote:
Yeah, I strectch and ride an excercise bike regularly. I still ride mx 1-3 times a week, its just like you said though, its the down...
englishman wrote:
How have you got hurt so badly ??
All from riding. I broke my hip when I was 13 racing at Ascot, it wasnt even that bad of a crash but because of my age and being that my bones werent completely "matured" yet, it was just one of those freak things.

The first time I broke my ankle I was 20 and at Competition Park and I got cross-rutted off a jump and got thrown of the bike and landed with all my weight on it. 4 months later and the first time back riding I crashed again and broke it again and had to have another surgery.

3 years ago I was at Competitive Edge and there was this step up triple thingy, I dont remember what happened on that one but I had to be airlifted out and basically put on life support for a couple of days. The ER doctor told my family that I had the injuries of someone that would've been in a 50mph head on car crash. My whole body from the waist up was pretty much exploded on the inside. I had a lot of internal injuires and bleeding, broken ribs, chest, back. It was real early in the morning and not a lot of people were there yet, my friend came around the corner and saw me laying there, so nobody really knows what happened.
Trent179
11/18/2010 3:39pm
Devil1nNj wrote:
120mg of oxy a day.
Jesus christ! You can snort half that and get real jacked up...
leighracer
11/18/2010 3:39pm
I'm just getting over a broken knee/ tib/ fib, multiple fractures. It's the first really serious injury I've had. Having never had to use any pain meds before this one, I really didn't understand why people were so into these things. Now I understand! Wow some of these pills are amazing and although I never reached the point of losing control, I sure feel like I was close at times. It's been 4 months since my surgery and I'm down to 1 pill a week, but I really look forward to it.
Trent179
11/18/2010 3:48pm
Having a shitload of screws, plates, aches, and pains does suck. I struggle with pain all the time. I've been on loratabs, vicodin, and perkecets. I can't take that stuff for a long time cause I got so addicted. It wouldn't be anything to throw down 5 of them at the same time and feel great for a few hours, only downfall is you can't shit! lol When I finally got off the pills I had horrible withdraws.... I swear it seemed like forever, cold sweats, so sore all over, diahrea, and all kinds of flu like symptoms. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting on any of those drugs unless you are in killer ass pain. Those pills are the devil, I still think about slamming some tabs from time to time. Stay away from them.
MXMattii
11/18/2010 3:48pm
Stupid question but if I ever come to the US how do I get mine Oxy and inflammatories and other pills true the Customs??
Devil1nNj
11/18/2010 3:50pm
leighracer wrote:
I'm just getting over a broken knee/ tib/ fib, multiple fractures. It's the first really serious injury I've had. Having never had to use any pain...
I'm just getting over a broken knee/ tib/ fib, multiple fractures. It's the first really serious injury I've had. Having never had to use any pain meds before this one, I really didn't understand why people were so into these things. Now I understand! Wow some of these pills are amazing and although I never reached the point of losing control, I sure feel like I was close at times. It's been 4 months since my surgery and I'm down to 1 pill a week, but I really look forward to it.
thats how it starts bud. just stop now if you're not hurting.
Devil1nNj
11/18/2010 3:51pm
Devil1nNj wrote:
120mg of oxy a day.
Trent179 wrote:
Jesus christ! You can snort half that and get real jacked up...
yeah cause that helps me walk lol
Faceaz
11/18/2010 4:01pm
Shattered my leg a few years ago & already have arthritis from many dislocations in both knees @ 36. Was hooked on the Norco after I shattered my leg, but made a clean break. Once I was off for a few months, I realized I will have a degree of pain from now on. Not hooked on any hard pills, but I take 2 tramadol (weak pain reliever) & 1 excedrin each day. Without the excedrin as a blood thinner, my leg throbs & swells.
Torco1
11/18/2010 4:09pm
MXMattii wrote:
Stupid question but if I ever come to the US how do I get mine Oxy and inflammatories and other pills true the Customs??
I think as long as you have the prescription bottle with your name on it showing it really belongs to you, there shouldnt be any problem.
alphado
11/18/2010 4:11pm
Occasionaly I need to pop a vic before I run when my back gets bad. They gave me tramadol now, I guess that is pretty pussy shit compared to what you guys are popping.
Torco1
11/18/2010 4:16pm
alphado wrote:
Occasionaly I need to pop a vic before I run when my back gets bad. They gave me tramadol now, I guess that is pretty pussy...
Occasionaly I need to pop a vic before I run when my back gets bad. They gave me tramadol now, I guess that is pretty pussy shit compared to what you guys are popping.
Tramadol works pretty decent, I'll switch over to that when I want to take a break from the other stuff. BUT, Tramadol can actually be more dangerous than all of the other stuff depending on the person. It's known to cause seizures in people, even just taking 1 pill. That stuff messes with other parts of your brain, not just the pain controlling areas.

Post a reply to: MX, injuries, and painkillers

The Latest