MX customer pet peeves

10/25/2017 7:01pm
We saw the post about dealership pet peeves, lets give dealers and personnel a chance to list pet peeves of THEIR customers.

1. Customers that want a part, and they dont know what year bike they have or even what model or brand. And they insist that all parts interchange, they want to look at every single part you have in stock, after an hour of looking through parts, then they dont buy shit

2. Customers cant sit on a bike without scraping their muddy work boots over the rear fender and side panels. After they leave you see how many scratches they left on the bikes.
|
newmann
10/25/2017 7:05pm
Not to mention 90% of them are cheap asses who want you to sponsor their D class child prodigy?
10/25/2017 7:08pm
Distributors that sell backdoor direct to customers. I know it's not a "pet peeve about customers" but as a dealer, it's a pet peeve.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/25/2017 7:08pm
i could go on for ever,

the call, it does not matter what year it is, they are all the same??

when someone sends there partner in with no real idea of what they want, or what bike they have,

do i get a discount if i race?

but i can get it online cheaper, (this is normally on a saturday morning)

10/25/2017 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 7:17pm
Distributors that sell backdoor direct to customers. I know it's not a "pet peeve about customers" but as a dealer, it's a pet peeve.
And they all say the other distro's are the ones doing it, not us. Companies dealers have supported for years are stabbing them in the back. I had a PU rep tell me that he couldnt say if Dennis Kirk was owned by PU

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
10/25/2017 7:35pm
Customers that can’t understand why you didn’t carry parts for their 1983 xr350. Or the guy that doesn’t like the fact that you don’t have plastic in stock for his 92 cr125. The guy that complained about the work being too much money, so he picked up his bike and took it to another shop that let it sit around for two months and did nothing, only to bring it back to us and want it done if two days.
jeffro503
10/25/2017 7:49pm
It isn't just about this sport though.....it's about every single thing on earth. Everyone wants to save every penny they can , on every single item. Every once in a while I'll get a customer that calls me ( I'm in the remodel construction business ) and they'll fill me in what they need done , or have me swing by so I can make a proposal. I can actually get a little irritated and get a good chuckle out of it at the same time , when they mention they have already gotten bids , and want to see if I'll beat it. I just tell them " My price is my price.....and I'm not the walmart of drywall ". Either except my bid or don't. Pretty simple. They have the right to refuse my price , just like a customer can refuse to pay for a certain item , when they can get it 30% cheaper online....delivered.

I personally do my best to support my local shop , but there are times and certain items I will not buy from them , because I busted my ass to make the money I'm spending.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
10/25/2017 8:33pm
jeffro503 wrote:
It isn't just about this sport though.....it's about every single thing on earth. Everyone wants to save every penny they can , on every single item...
It isn't just about this sport though.....it's about every single thing on earth. Everyone wants to save every penny they can , on every single item. Every once in a while I'll get a customer that calls me ( I'm in the remodel construction business ) and they'll fill me in what they need done , or have me swing by so I can make a proposal. I can actually get a little irritated and get a good chuckle out of it at the same time , when they mention they have already gotten bids , and want to see if I'll beat it. I just tell them " My price is my price.....and I'm not the walmart of drywall ". Either except my bid or don't. Pretty simple. They have the right to refuse my price , just like a customer can refuse to pay for a certain item , when they can get it 30% cheaper online....delivered.

I personally do my best to support my local shop , but there are times and certain items I will not buy from them , because I busted my ass to make the money I'm spending.
Nailed it.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
10/25/2017 8:56pm
What about moto companies selling directly to consumers via Hookit under the guise of "sponsorship"?
10/25/2017 9:15pm
SPYGUY wrote:
What about moto companies selling directly to consumers via Hookit under the guise of "sponsorship"?
Yep. Same problem.

It's not like more gear gets sold throughout the year. They just screw their dealer network. Everyone loses in the end.
FiendzCC
10/25/2017 9:56pm
SPYGUY wrote:
Yep. Same problem.

It's not like more gear gets sold throughout the year. They just screw their dealer network. Everyone loses in the end.
I've worked in the industry almost a decade. Would love to hear both of your thoughts on the overall (if any) benefit(s) of "sponsorship", and the actual effectiveness of it in benefitting sales in this current time of rapidly advancing technology. My favorite aspect that I've grown to find humorous rather than frusturating is that a tap of a few buttons on a smart phone and "tagging your sponsors" in an often illiterate instagram post littered with emojis has beome the norm, and is reason enough for a hard working small business that actually pays their taxes to drop their pants on price, and anything they're doing that's actually making them money because Johnny is racing the reigonal qualifier Saturday, and we're leaving Thursday which just became your problem on Wednesday afternoon near closing, BRO...
10/25/2017 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 10:26pm
FiendzCC wrote:
I've worked in the industry almost a decade. Would love to hear both of your thoughts on the overall (if any) benefit(s) of "sponsorship", and the...
I've worked in the industry almost a decade. Would love to hear both of your thoughts on the overall (if any) benefit(s) of "sponsorship", and the actual effectiveness of it in benefitting sales in this current time of rapidly advancing technology. My favorite aspect that I've grown to find humorous rather than frusturating is that a tap of a few buttons on a smart phone and "tagging your sponsors" in an often illiterate instagram post littered with emojis has beome the norm, and is reason enough for a hard working small business that actually pays their taxes to drop their pants on price, and anything they're doing that's actually making them money because Johnny is racing the reigonal qualifier Saturday, and we're leaving Thursday which just became your problem on Wednesday afternoon near closing, BRO...
Sponsoring amateur riders? Complete waste of money. You're literally giving money to your customers. They're supposed to be giving YOU money!!!

Sponsoring pro's? I dont see the benefit from a dealership standpoint. Too expensive. Do it for the fun of it and know going in you're burning money and it will be much more enjoyable of a experience.

Sponsoring your own race team? It only works if you have a service to sell as a performance shop. If you can do something unique. IE: top level suspension, engine building, etc. Otherwise it's just a labor of love. Plan on burning money and it can be enjoyable.

Sponsoring events so that your customers have a place to ride/compete? Worth it if you can get a OEM to pay the bill. Just dont expect brand loyalty from it. Customers are price whores. Just because you sponsor a event, doesnt mean those racers are going to be beholden to you. But giving your local riders a reason to spend money is always a good thing.

Sponsoring lifestyle or promotional events at your dealership? A far better allocation of marketing resources that actually leads to cold hard sales. Consumers enjoy the hell out of them as well. It's a win-win for everyone.
Racer142
10/25/2017 10:21pm
scott_nz wrote:
i could go on for ever, the call, it does not matter what year it is, they are all the same?? when someone sends there partner...
i could go on for ever,

when someone sends there partner in with no real idea of what they want, or what bike they have,

I will say I do expect dealers to try to earn my business. I had a good relationship with my last local dealership and they would pretty much match am online price and then add local and state taxes and I was fine with that. I almost never purchased online unless it was something on clearance and my dealer couldn't match it. I recently moved across the country and went to another dealership and asked if they would attempt to match online prices minus taxes and was simply told no. Not I'll see what we can do our we will try just basically if you don't like it leave. If you're not going to make an effort to earn my business I'll go elsewhere.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
10/25/2017 10:24pm
scott_nz wrote:
i could go on for ever, the call, it does not matter what year it is, they are all the same?? when someone sends there partner...
i could go on for ever,

I would hang out at the shop my mate worked at (the manager at the time was a fucking legend, not to mention we spent a lot of money there) and your second line is something I witnessed a lot of!

No idea what make or model and calling for a super specific part.Laughing
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
10/25/2017 10:28pm
Not to mention the amount of heroes that would come in wanting discounts and support when buying their Metal Mulisha caps.
10/25/2017 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 10:32pm
As a business owner, my main goal is to please my customers. Sometimes, that means offering additional discounts and not making a profit. However, in the long run, I have created a loyal customer. With that said, I don't think it's wise for all of us who work in the industry, to publicly state our pet peeves. We must remember that our customers act as the foundation of our companies.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/26/2017 1:41am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 1:42am
scott_nz wrote:
i could go on for ever,

Racer142 wrote:
I will say I do expect dealers to try to earn my business. I had a good relationship with my last local dealership and they would...
I will say I do expect dealers to try to earn my business. I had a good relationship with my last local dealership and they would pretty much match am online price and then add local and state taxes and I was fine with that. I almost never purchased online unless it was something on clearance and my dealer couldn't match it. I recently moved across the country and went to another dealership and asked if they would attempt to match online prices minus taxes and was simply told no. Not I'll see what we can do our we will try just basically if you don't like it leave. If you're not going to make an effort to earn my business I'll go elsewhere.
i owned a dealership for 10 years, and worked in the industry for nearly 20, plus my father was in the industry for 40 plus years,

when i owned a dealership we ran up to 10 trail rides or fun day flat track mxers a year, plus we helped run the local mx club with thier events as well ( i was the president) , we were the biggest mx shop in the country (and it still is) , i loved my time doing it,

i am now have been out for 3 years, and I enjoy my racing now more than i have in years, its not an easy industry at dealer level, esp when you can buy online from big stores cheaper than i can buy the same part off the local distributor of the product,

Post a reply to: MX customer pet peeves

The Latest