MX and SX coverage next year?

Mit12
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2021 11:11am
We are loosing fox sports coverage of SX and MX next year. Any idea who is going to replace the coverage? Please don’t say streaming, the sport need TV I order to grow.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/11/2021 5:22pm
Mit12 wrote:
We are loosing fox sports coverage of SX and MX next year. Any idea who is going to replace the coverage? Please don’t say streaming, the...
We are loosing fox sports coverage of SX and MX next year. Any idea who is going to replace the coverage? Please don’t say streaming, the sport need TV I order to grow.
Losing NBCSN not Fox Sports.

Going to be streaming on Peacock.
Dutch348
6/11/2021 6:03pm
So who were the geniuses that negotiated this deal?

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
6/11/2021 6:12pm
Dutch348 wrote:
So who were the geniuses that negotiated this deal?
Probably the ones that are laughing at all the patsy's that are paying for a service that has been free since around the year 2000.
6/11/2021 7:19pm
Mit12 wrote:
We are loosing fox sports coverage of SX and MX next year. Any idea who is going to replace the coverage? Please don’t say streaming, the...
Peacock is cheap and been really good but this is bad for the sport. Where is this info coming from?
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
6/11/2021 7:33pm
Maybe they listened to y’all bitch long enough about the broadcast. They probably figured if you’re so “core” then you’ll pay to watch it live on peacock.
mb60
6/11/2021 9:05pm
Put it all on Mav TV and stop with online streaming crap.
chasetwo79
6/11/2021 9:09pm
Every week there is a complaint about streaming races and that more regular television would get more eyeballs on things.

Cord cutting is real. Most people don’t just put TV on anymore. Partnerships, content, and better advertising are the way to drive new traffic these days.

Steaming is the future. Quit yelling from your front porch that we “need more regular TV”. Television sucks and the majority of the demographic under 45 these days aren’t watching cable or traditional tv.
Mit12
6/11/2021 10:03pm
Mit12 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

NBCSN, i was wrong about it being Fox Sports. NBCSN decided to drop tv coverage and go to streaming, why doesn’t FELD and MX sports go after a TV network to keep the racing main stream? Name one motorsports series that is successful without TV? Better yet name one successful sport that only has streaming! This will hurt the sport. Manufactures and sponsors want TV time, this will put an end to out side sponsorship.
Mit12
6/11/2021 10:13pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
Every week there is a complaint about streaming races and that more regular television would get more eyeballs on things. Cord cutting is real. Most people...
Every week there is a complaint about streaming races and that more regular television would get more eyeballs on things.

Cord cutting is real. Most people don’t just put TV on anymore. Partnerships, content, and better advertising are the way to drive new traffic these days.

Steaming is the future. Quit yelling from your front porch that we “need more regular TV”. Television sucks and the majority of the demographic under 45 these days aren’t watching cable or traditional tv.
Streaming is so great than why is NASCAR and Hockey staying mainstream TV?
A wise man once said, Be careful of what you wish for you just might get it.
PMR 3
Fantasy
594th
6/11/2021 10:18pm
Peacock is pretty good.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
6/11/2021 10:47pm
But on the plus side, you can watch it on your 3 inch I phone screen on the toilet
When one is desperate anything will do....live timing has bailed me out a few times over the seasons..
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1232nd
6/11/2021 11:21pm
as I understand it NBC currently has the broadcasting rights for SX and MX, they are also doing away with NBCSN. It is possible that NBC will show some of the races on a different NBC channel, but the best way to watch will probably be through Peacock.

While I am a big fan of streaming apps, I have had issues with the peackock app, its not the most straight forward to use, and could be way better. On the plus side, I have noticed quite a few sports bars now carry a variety of the streaming apps including peacock, so it would still be possible to meet up with friends to watch a race.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/11/2021 11:38pm
Mit12 wrote:
NBCSN, i was wrong about it being Fox Sports. NBCSN decided to drop tv coverage and go to streaming, why doesn’t FELD and MX sports go...
NBCSN, i was wrong about it being Fox Sports. NBCSN decided to drop tv coverage and go to streaming, why doesn’t FELD and MX sports go after a TV network to keep the racing main stream? Name one motorsports series that is successful without TV? Better yet name one successful sport that only has streaming! This will hurt the sport. Manufactures and sponsors want TV time, this will put an end to out side sponsorship.
That's a question for DC. Maybe he'll chime in when he sees this thread. He's pretty good at addressing people's concerns when it comes to his series.

I do believe that having MX on TV is difficult to get because it takes up 4 hours. That's why the current broadcast is split between 2 networks (Mav TV & NBCSN). With streaming that's a non-issue. They also don't have to fight for a certain time slot.

Currently some of the motos are delayed to later in the day/night and people complain about that when they want to watch the races live. There's no delays with streaming and you're also free to watch the races when it's convenient for you. I suppose you can do that with TV as well as long as you have a DVR, but that's not always guaranteed if moto happens to get pushed due to NHL, MLB, NFL, etc.

Not to mention, but with streaming you also get access to qualifying which you don't get with TV.

In regards to manufacturers and sponsors that want TV time, I'm not sure how that's going to play out. I believe that currently you only need the basic Peacock membership in order to watch SX/MX which is commercial free, however you get commercials on other shows. With the sport moving to Peacock only, who knows, that model might change next year where they'll have commercials during SX/MX if you subscribe to the basic membership and if you want to watch it commercial free you'll have to subscribe to the premium membership. I suppose that's one way they could get exposure.

Streaming is the future of TV and might actually help grow the sport. Some sports are on specialty channels on TV, meaning that you have to subscribe to that channel in order to view it. With specialty channels people can't just flick through the channels and accidentally stumble across MX/SX. Having the sport on Peacock might help grow its audience for that reason.
chasetwo79
6/12/2021 1:00am
chasetwo79 wrote:
Every week there is a complaint about streaming races and that more regular television would get more eyeballs on things. Cord cutting is real. Most people...

Mit12 wrote:
Streaming is so great than why is NASCAR and Hockey staying mainstream TV? A wise man once said, Be careful of what you wish for you...
Streaming is so great than why is NASCAR and Hockey staying mainstream TV?
A wise man once said, Be careful of what you wish for you just might get it.
Because they have traditional broadcast deals that are billion dollar deals. Major sports will be the last domino to fall on the traditional model. It’s still probably 10 years out.

A better comparison would be - UFC is on ESPN plus. Why? Because they want to attract the 25-40 year old demographic and create lifelong fans to replace the aging out baby boomer crowds in the next 10-20 years.

This is a generational-long change and we are in the middle of it. Better to look forward than backwards.
GabeM
6/12/2021 6:11am
Streaming seems better for the average MX fan. We are in a universal transition so everything is going to change. Perhaps streaming sucks now but that can change overnight.

"Change is not permanent but Change is....."
GabeM
6/12/2021 6:21am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2021 6:22am
My grandpa grew up listening to the races on the AM radio. It was a difficult transition to go from live on the AM radio to delayed on a black and white TV but the TV was a technological upgrade and now you could see the races with your own eyes. My grandpa didn't buy it. He always felt what he imagined the races looking like was far more exiting than they actually looked once he saw them delayed on TV.

Kind of like us when we had to listen to a internet audio cast of the races over dialup. I enjoyed those nights almost as much as I did driving to the dealership to get the latest Cycle News

DC
6/12/2021 6:32am
Mit12 wrote:
NBCSN, i was wrong about it being Fox Sports. NBCSN decided to drop tv coverage and go to streaming, why doesn’t FELD and MX sports go...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
That's a question for DC. Maybe he'll chime in when he sees this thread. He's pretty good at addressing people's concerns when it comes to his...
That's a question for DC. Maybe he'll chime in when he sees this thread. He's pretty good at addressing people's concerns when it comes to his series.

I do believe that having MX on TV is difficult to get because it takes up 4 hours. That's why the current broadcast is split between 2 networks (Mav TV & NBCSN). With streaming that's a non-issue. They also don't have to fight for a certain time slot.

Currently some of the motos are delayed to later in the day/night and people complain about that when they want to watch the races live. There's no delays with streaming and you're also free to watch the races when it's convenient for you. I suppose you can do that with TV as well as long as you have a DVR, but that's not always guaranteed if moto happens to get pushed due to NHL, MLB, NFL, etc.

Not to mention, but with streaming you also get access to qualifying which you don't get with TV.

In regards to manufacturers and sponsors that want TV time, I'm not sure how that's going to play out. I believe that currently you only need the basic Peacock membership in order to watch SX/MX which is commercial free, however you get commercials on other shows. With the sport moving to Peacock only, who knows, that model might change next year where they'll have commercials during SX/MX if you subscribe to the basic membership and if you want to watch it commercial free you'll have to subscribe to the premium membership. I suppose that's one way they could get exposure.

Streaming is the future of TV and might actually help grow the sport. Some sports are on specialty channels on TV, meaning that you have to subscribe to that channel in order to view it. With specialty channels people can't just flick through the channels and accidentally stumble across MX/SX. Having the sport on Peacock might help grow its audience for that reason.
NBC Sports is going away, we've known this for some time now. The network has other channels to place SX/MX, as well as the peacock streaming service. Everything is being worked out for 2022 and beyond.

DC
Racer X
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/12/2021 6:33am
Mit12 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
That's a question for DC. Maybe he'll chime in when he sees this thread. He's pretty good at addressing people's concerns when it comes to his...

I get streaming is the future but doesn’t work for all. I have directv, it sucks paying for it but only choice where I live. Also have satellite internet, again no other broadband choices. The internet isn’t terrible but not perfect. I can stream Netflix and 99% of the time no buffering. Same with YouTube videos. Peacock always buffers for me. Not sure why but the couple SX that weren’t broadcast live and the last 2 MX second motos that weren’t live tried to watch live in peacock and it just got frustrated and turned it off until it came on tv. I know it’s my problem and no one else’s but I’m sure others are in the same boat. Steaming doesn’t work for all no matter how much I want it to work
DonM
6/12/2021 7:35am
Mit12 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Mit12 wrote:
There are many other motor sports that are in the same boat as MX/SX Indy car for example…pretty sure that NBC will have other options for viewing than other Peacock but I expect that the trend to continue with services like Peacock….Paramount + is one as you see these large entertainment conglomerates combining all their individual channels onto a streaming platform in fact Paramount + is taking a few of their highest rated CBS shows and putting them exclusively on their streaming platform….like it or not it’s the future and its also outgrowing the viewership of traditional TV
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/12/2021 7:59am
DC wrote:
NBC Sports is going away, we've known this for some time now. The network has other channels to place SX/MX, as well as the peacock streaming...
NBC Sports is going away, we've known this for some time now. The network has other channels to place SX/MX, as well as the peacock streaming service. Everything is being worked out for 2022 and beyond.

DC
Racer X
Well, there you have it folks.

Thanks, DC.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/12/2021 8:08am
Love the streaming package, hope it aspires to the raise it's game to the level top the MotoGP stream, which is a seamless delight.
6/12/2021 8:10am
Mit12 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

yak651 wrote:
I get streaming is the future but doesn’t work for all. I have directv, it sucks paying for it but only choice where I live. Also...
I get streaming is the future but doesn’t work for all. I have directv, it sucks paying for it but only choice where I live. Also have satellite internet, again no other broadband choices. The internet isn’t terrible but not perfect. I can stream Netflix and 99% of the time no buffering. Same with YouTube videos. Peacock always buffers for me. Not sure why but the couple SX that weren’t broadcast live and the last 2 MX second motos that weren’t live tried to watch live in peacock and it just got frustrated and turned it off until it came on tv. I know it’s my problem and no one else’s but I’m sure others are in the same boat. Steaming doesn’t work for all no matter how much I want it to work
This is exactly what happens to me as well.
ktmusa
6/12/2021 8:12am
PMR 3 wrote:
Peacock is pretty good.
Peacock is atrocious. Look back a few months and there are numerous threads on peoples inability to get the damn thing to work. I eventually figured it out but it took quite a while and lots of help from the people on here. They seem to have most of the problems figured out but when it first started it was crap. Mostly with peoples inability to load it on their system. Lack of network coverage is going to hurt.
Holigan
6/12/2021 8:54am
Love the streaming package, hope it aspires to the raise it's game to the level top the MotoGP stream, which is a seamless delight.
The MotoGP app is amazing. Everything that happens on the track live and recorded, interviews and stories, and a library of race broadcasts since MotoGP began. As well as probably the best racing of any motorsports at this time.
2thefront
6/12/2021 10:41am
cason402 wrote:
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/03/17/cable-and-satellite-tv-use-has-dropped-dramatically-in-the-u-s-since-2015/ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/12/497354/s1200_tttd.jpg[/img]
This is good for most people but sports fans are really who are going to lose out and end up paying more. Cable and satellite packages are built around subsidizing costs to make it affordable for sports fans. Unless you only care about 1 or 2 sports, get ready to open the wallet.

Post a reply to: MX and SX coverage next year?

The Latest