MX World - Season 1, Episode 6 - Europeans vs. Americans

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
SKlein
11/27/2018 1:09pm
Great work as usual, wish he had more time to show even more behind the scenes stuff but this is still high quality.
Aryen
11/27/2018 1:48pm
Last sentence: “put in the effort, not to look silly”

Nail on the head Roger. Better commit to some grueling sand practice.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
11/27/2018 2:49pm
Man they could feature the national championship in Mongolia and I would probably watch every episode.
The way these are produced is just world class

The Shop

bents
Fantasy
710th
11/27/2018 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 8:37pm
The man telling it like it is. That is reality these days. SX is killing MX speed and technique and bike set up and anything else you might want to include because of this shift in emphasis. Not saying it is bad or wrong, but at this point we are seeing the effects of this specialization. And, what a great series! Love watching it and sure wish Tony would have won the Nations. Dang it.
c0ncEpT
11/28/2018 7:36am
Decoster is a great team manager. He has a great ability to look at things for how they are not how he wants them to be.
ATKpilot99
11/28/2018 8:15am
c0ncEpT wrote:
Decoster is a great team manager. He has a great ability to look at things for how they are not how he wants them to be.
Absolutely. I really hope our guys get another one with him still the team manager. Next season will be a tall order for sure but man it would be sweet if they could bring it home there. Excellent video.
mccread
11/28/2018 11:53am
Imagine if Europe actually had a team and raced against America at a Ryder Cup style event instead of their top riders being split into different countries against team USA.

yz133rider
11/28/2018 11:55am
mccread wrote:
Imagine if Europe actually had a team and raced against America at a Ryder Cup style event instead of their top riders being split into different...
Imagine if Europe actually had a team and raced against America at a Ryder Cup style event instead of their top riders being split into different countries against team USA.

Lol so yeah literally america vs the world
Motofinne
11/28/2018 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 2:05pm
I wonder if Roger will stick to what he said in this episode. Pick the riders that are actually willing to commit to the race. That would mean Osborne, Barcia and Covington. Both Osborne and Barcia are on record saying they are willing to go weeks before and prepare, i assume Covington is willing to do the same and he is the best 250 pick considering his 2018 result at Assen GP.

Anyways, this has been an amazing series! I hope they continue it next year.
mccread
11/28/2018 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 2:34pm
mccread wrote:
Imagine if Europe actually had a team and raced against America at a Ryder Cup style event instead of their top riders being split into different...

yz133rider wrote:
Lol so yeah literally america vs the world
Huh? Every country is racing the rest of the world just like America. It’s holland v the world, Italy v the world. Britain against the world. It’s the Motocross of Nations.

You’ve missed the point.

The title was Europeans v America... America have a team at the event Europe don’t... America winning the MXDN doesn’t prove they are better than the “Europeans.” Just like the French riders aren’t better than Prado, Cairoli, Herlings because they win the MXDN.

It’s not a fair comparison as the title suggests because it gives America huge advantage because Europe’s best riders aren’t in one team and America’s are.

The reciprocal would be like having team Europe v USA states with Cairoli, Prado and Herlings in one team against the individual states of America.

To have a fair Europe v America team race, it would need to be like the Ryder Cup. Two actual teams.

But there is an individual world championship out there for any American who wants to become the best motocross rider in the world... the true test of any rider outdoors. That’s the real measuring stick.

mccread
11/28/2018 2:37pm
Motofinne wrote:
I wonder if Roger will stick to what he said in this episode. Pick the riders that are actually willing to commit to the race. That...
I wonder if Roger will stick to what he said in this episode. Pick the riders that are actually willing to commit to the race. That would mean Osborne, Barcia and Covington. Both Osborne and Barcia are on record saying they are willing to go weeks before and prepare, i assume Covington is willing to do the same and he is the best 250 pick considering his 2018 result at Assen GP.

Anyways, this has been an amazing series! I hope they continue it next year.
That would be a strong team, I think Tomac will want to go too though for some revenge.
Whip
Fantasy
3240th
11/28/2018 2:43pm
As much as I like to declare the European riders as the best in the world, I don't think comparing outdoor sand riding abilities is fair.

The USA season is simply too long. Whilst the Europeans take a few months off to enjoy themselves and prepare for sand training, the Americans barely get a couple of weeks before preparing for circus-cross.
joeellis
11/28/2018 3:46pm
Aryen wrote:
Last sentence: “put in the effort, not to look silly”

Nail on the head Roger. Better commit to some grueling sand practice.
Preparing on European style tracks is definitely a must, but even with 4 weeks of preparation, I feel the Americans will still be at a disadvantage because the European riders have competed on these types of tracks their entire lives. I'm sure this has been answered on this forum, but I'm curious to know who had the power to set up the Red Bud track this year. You would think that it would have been left as is to better favor the American riders. After all, it seems as though the home nation would want their riders to have the best chance. That may not have had a big impact (America would still not have won), but a familiar track would certainly have helped the Americans

If the AMA is hopeful of our riders being better prepared, a change in the schedule to give American riders more time to prepare may be necessary. Maybe other things that could be looked at for the outdoor series is changing certain tracks to better emulate MXGP style racing and choosing not to groom the tracks prior to racing like happens at MXGP races.

I also feel that Supercross techniques may have a negative affect on true motocross style racing. No doubt, Supercross is exciting to many and gives a huge audience an opportunity to better witness it live, but the style of racing is definitely different.

I do believe that the American riders who want to dedicate the preparation time to compete in the MX des Nations should be our picks, regardless of overall standings. I'm in no way saying that our guys didn't feel this way, but it does take a certain amount of dedication, especially when being held on foreign soil.
ATKpilot99
11/28/2018 4:05pm
The luster is long gone. We're just another team now and maybe that's a good thing going forward. Back to basics.
drudd21
11/28/2018 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 5:17pm
I can't wait for MXdN next year. The Netherlands were extremely unlucky this year. They have to be favourites at Assen. But I'm starting to think that maybe the pressure for the USA team is starting to build up, and maybe changes will be made. You can't really change Supercross or its schedule; it makes too much money and brings too much attention to the sport. But picking a team early and working with them on training in sand for the Nations is a good idea. DeCoster certainly seems to think so. Lets hope they do it.

And from an Aussie point of view, I'm super excited about our prospects going forward. 4th this year with two 18 year olds was a huge effort. Hunter Lawrence, Jett Lawrence, Jed Beaton, Mitch Evans, Bailey Malkiewicz - none of these guys are 21 yet and they are already kicking goals on the world stage. Maybe I'm biased, but I can see a 1st place for Australia in the not-too-distant future.
Sully
11/28/2018 5:49pm
joeellis wrote:
Preparing on European style tracks is definitely a must, but even with 4 weeks of preparation, I feel the Americans will still be at a disadvantage...
Preparing on European style tracks is definitely a must, but even with 4 weeks of preparation, I feel the Americans will still be at a disadvantage because the European riders have competed on these types of tracks their entire lives. I'm sure this has been answered on this forum, but I'm curious to know who had the power to set up the Red Bud track this year. You would think that it would have been left as is to better favor the American riders. After all, it seems as though the home nation would want their riders to have the best chance. That may not have had a big impact (America would still not have won), but a familiar track would certainly have helped the Americans

If the AMA is hopeful of our riders being better prepared, a change in the schedule to give American riders more time to prepare may be necessary. Maybe other things that could be looked at for the outdoor series is changing certain tracks to better emulate MXGP style racing and choosing not to groom the tracks prior to racing like happens at MXGP races.

I also feel that Supercross techniques may have a negative affect on true motocross style racing. No doubt, Supercross is exciting to many and gives a huge audience an opportunity to better witness it live, but the style of racing is definitely different.

I do believe that the American riders who want to dedicate the preparation time to compete in the MX des Nations should be our picks, regardless of overall standings. I'm in no way saying that our guys didn't feel this way, but it does take a certain amount of dedication, especially when being held on foreign soil.
"...but I'm curious to know who had the power to set up the Red Bud track this year."

This is the part I'm curious about as well. Why was the decision made (and who made it) to make the track more "European" at des Nations, but they don't/didn't haul in truckloads of sand in Thailand or Indonesia.
hyler199
11/28/2018 6:09pm
I think for the guys to practice for 4 weeks i think only a couple teams would do it and it makes sense for the Husky/KTM guys

I think Anderson, Osborne and *insert 250 rider might be a good combo

jemcee
11/28/2018 6:43pm
drudd21 wrote:
I can't wait for MXdN next year. The Netherlands were extremely unlucky this year. They have to be favourites at Assen. But I'm starting to think...
I can't wait for MXdN next year. The Netherlands were extremely unlucky this year. They have to be favourites at Assen. But I'm starting to think that maybe the pressure for the USA team is starting to build up, and maybe changes will be made. You can't really change Supercross or its schedule; it makes too much money and brings too much attention to the sport. But picking a team early and working with them on training in sand for the Nations is a good idea. DeCoster certainly seems to think so. Lets hope they do it.

And from an Aussie point of view, I'm super excited about our prospects going forward. 4th this year with two 18 year olds was a huge effort. Hunter Lawrence, Jett Lawrence, Jed Beaton, Mitch Evans, Bailey Malkiewicz - none of these guys are 21 yet and they are already kicking goals on the world stage. Maybe I'm biased, but I can see a 1st place for Australia in the not-too-distant future.
Yep it's looking up for us.. Well to think next year if everyone is healthy and in form, we could pick Ferris, Beaton/Evans and Lawrence! No weak link there and like you say even without Ferris we got a bunch of super young fast kids!

Excellent!
jemcee
11/28/2018 6:56pm
Sully wrote:
[i]"...but I'm curious to know who had the power to set up the Red Bud track this year."[/i] This is the part I'm curious about as...
"...but I'm curious to know who had the power to set up the Red Bud track this year."

This is the part I'm curious about as well. Why was the decision made (and who made it) to make the track more "European" at des Nations, but they don't/didn't haul in truckloads of sand in Thailand or Indonesia.
Maybe it was more 'European' so there wasn't a distinct advantage for 1 team and fairer for all the others..
I've heard Roger say a couple times that it was not like the red bud they were used to but it was the other teams first time there! The owners of the track said there was only sand added to a few corners..
Also dunno about his claim that the other countries work together to beat the US! They all seem pretty keen to win the event not just beat one particular (slightly paranoid) team
agn5009
11/28/2018 7:13pm
mccread wrote:

That’s just stupid. If you want to make it about our series vs yours then fine. AMA riders vs MXGP riders would be the only thing that makes sense. Why the hell would America vs everybody else make sense? Unsure
Sully
11/28/2018 7:36pm
jemcee wrote:
Maybe it was more 'European' so there wasn't a distinct advantage for 1 team and fairer for all the others.. I've heard Roger say a couple...
Maybe it was more 'European' so there wasn't a distinct advantage for 1 team and fairer for all the others..
I've heard Roger say a couple times that it was not like the red bud they were used to but it was the other teams first time there! The owners of the track said there was only sand added to a few corners..
Also dunno about his claim that the other countries work together to beat the US! They all seem pretty keen to win the event not just beat one particular (slightly paranoid) team
So does that mean they'll haul a lot of the sand out of Assen next year? Because the home team has a definite advantage there. My guess would be no, they won't.
jemcee
11/28/2018 7:49pm
Sully wrote:
So does that mean they'll haul a lot of the sand out of Assen next year? Because the home team has a [i]definite[/i] advantage there. My...
So does that mean they'll haul a lot of the sand out of Assen next year? Because the home team has a definite advantage there. My guess would be no, they won't.
Yeah they definitely do and pretty good reason why next year may not be as good or as competitive as these last few years, but at least most of the other teams riders have ridden and raced there..
crowe176
11/28/2018 11:53pm
I still don’t get the track excuse. That track was about as good as it could get with all the rain we had. October in MI is a lot different than July. West MI is literally a big sand dune and eventually if you till redbud up enough like they have the last two decades, you’ll find that sand. Look at the 90’s races there compared to now. It doesn’t even look like the same track. Hell, Spring redbud doesn’t even look close to the same as national weekend.

Bottom line, October, lots of rain and trying to prep the track for rain, this is what you end up with. Hats off to Redbud, that track was prepped as good as it gets.

Motofinne
11/29/2018 12:40am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 2:19am
joeellis wrote:
Preparing on European style tracks is definitely a must, but even with 4 weeks of preparation, I feel the Americans will still be at a disadvantage...

Sully wrote:
[i]"...but I'm curious to know who had the power to set up the Red Bud track this year."[/i] This is the part I'm curious about as...

How is it possible that people still believe that they put a lot of sand on the track? The owner clearly stated that they put sand on the new section and the banked "corner". That was it. 2 sections on the whole track.

The track prep on the other hand saved the track from becoming an absolutely brutal mudder. Now it was "only" wet dirt. I would assume that a mudder would have been even worse for team USA?
Prejump
11/29/2018 1:29am
Agree with last two comments completely.

Quite sad Plessinger & Decoster are still playing the "Euro" style track excuse.

The track was always going to ride different because of the time of year, those of us that have raced a long season would have experience the same track ride totally different many times, nothing unusual.

The track owner stated he added sand in case of heavy rain, the sand no doubt helped with absorbing the rain.

The only way this track is euro style is the fact the euro riders ride in heavy conditions more. The US riders could too but they choose not too, so stop making something you choose not to do an excuse.

Build a fucking deep sand track, invite all your friends to ride it & never fucking grade it all year. That's your answer to Assen. Wink
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
11/29/2018 2:50am
If tomac takes that race seriously and practices in the sand a few weeks prior to the race I'm sure he can beat almost anyone but herlings and Cairoli
Covington is good already.
Missing one more guy. Maybe Anderson
joeellis
11/29/2018 3:04am
I haven’t read all these responses the track owners have made. I’m only going on what the American riders stated.

American racers aren’t dominant in the event as they once were. That’s the bottom line. No excuses will change that. We still have riders capable of landing our team on the podium however. This group was talented enough in my opinion, but the fact is; if any of the top 5 teams or so aren’t at their best, they will find it very difficult to finish in the top 3. That is why I commented that the American team needs to try and find 3 riders who want to be there. Maybe these 3 did very badly, I don’t know. Maybe those 4 teams wanted it more, I don’t know. Maybe those 4 teams are more talented, I don’t know. What I do know is the rest of the world is improving and have some very good riders. Our guys need to have the heart and desire to accept nothing but first and not expect it. That is the mentality of the other nations and I feel it was the mentality of our guys in the past.
Huckster
11/29/2018 3:48am
Listen to what DeCoster says at the 11:40min mark.

Post a reply to: MX World - Season 1, Episode 6 - Europeans vs. Americans

The Latest