MX-Tech National Shock, opinions?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 5:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2018 6:02 AM

It looks like they now have it for KTM/Husky, Kawasaki and Suzuki. It is also sold by Enduro Spec for the Beta's and comes with an annual service for life. $2400 and it looks legit.

5 way adjustable, Kashima and DLC, Huck valve speed sensitive bottoming, hybrid piston/bladder Tank system, spring and valving setup included. I would have like to seen a quick adjuster for sag.

https://mx-tech.com/shop/shock-parts/new-category/
https://www.endurospec.com/store/c4/Works_Parts.html

Photo

No I don't work for them or know them, but their work has been well respected and copied, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried one out yet, they seem to be very new.

|

6/13/2018 6:15 PM

I have not tried or seen one in real life, but 5 minutes of conversation with Jeremy always makes me feel like I didnt get past 4th grade. He is a very smart dude.

|

6/13/2018 6:22 PM

Awesome! I would love to try and bottom that ass out.

|

6/14/2018 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2018 11:55 AM

I had missed this last week, MXA was testing them the day of Jason's incident. It looks like they are about 1 month old and apparently Steinke was the 1st to run one at Hangtown, and they visited the Glen Helen and Colorado round testing and tuning.

Photo

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mwr-thursday-of-jason-andersons-incident-mx-tech-ktm-125sx/

Jeremy Wilke with some test bikes with the new shock, not the Honda yet.
Photo
Photo

https://www.facebook.com/mxtechsuspension/

It's not cheap, but this thing looks special.
|

6/14/2018 12:25 PM

I don't see the annual service for life anywhere. MX-tech has this on their site

"• Low friction piston band and low inertia piston design for excellent pressure balance and instant response to pressure.
• Custom valved for each customer
• Includes spring for rider weight
• Free shipping in the USA
• One free service includes all labor for original purchaser (wearable items and oil are not included)."

Its the same price as the WP Trax shock. It would be nice to get some back to back comparison on the two to see how they perform.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

6/14/2018 12:55 PM

AJ565 "I don't see the annual service for life anywhere."

I knew that would be confusing, Enduro Spec has the exclusive for the MX Tech Beta products. They also sell all of the MX Tech line and offer the lifetime service.
They are also currently developing a new Tank system for forks to go with the Lucky cartridge systems.

"Lifetime service includes all labor, fluids and nitrogen charge for original purchaser. Wearable items are not included. Includes ONE service per 12 months. Service through Enduro Spec only."

https://www.endurospec.com/store/c4/Works_Parts.html

|

6/14/2018 3:31 PM

so they didnt reinvent the wheel, but they did reinvent the shock absorber.

|

6/14/2018 5:14 PM

Spizzy wrote:

I have not tried or seen one in real life, but 5 minutes of conversation with Jeremy always makes me feel like I didnt get ...more

Agree with that. I actually said that to him on the phone. Like bro idk wtf you’re saying. Speak English at me

|

6/14/2018 5:17 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

AJ565 "I don't see the annual service for life anywhere."

I knew that would be confusing, Enduro Spec has the exclusive for ...more

Warren from endurospec is down the street from me. He got second or third last year for A or AA locally ( I don’t remember ) ...has his own suspension company and he runs the lucky forks and now the national shock, I think that says something. Met him a few time. Super chill

|

6/14/2018 5:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2018 8:55 PM

Yep, I'd say he can ride, obvious skills. When he says that he can make the dual cartridge "Lucky" system work better than any valving he can put in Closed cartridge Showas or KYB's or WP's, that is saying something. The "common knowledge" that suspension can only be correctly set up for fast or slow, but not both is being
challenged here.

The National Shock piloted by Warren @enduro_spec took a #firstplace at the #silverstate #300 #ironman #bestinthedessert #bitd #shockingtalent #kylesdesk #shockwave #shockandawe #shockabsorber #shockthenation #chakakhan #dropweight #huckvalve #topshock #mxtengineeredforsuccess #

Photo

|

6/14/2018 6:54 PM

I just find it amazing that you need to spend an additional $3-5000 on a new bike to make it ridable. CRAZY!!!

|

6/14/2018 7:10 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Yep, I'd say he can ride, obvious skills. When he says that he can make the dual cartridge "Lucky" system work better than any ...more

When did Stank do that?...

|

6/14/2018 7:18 PM

ML512 wrote:

When did Stank do that?...

He hasn't to my knowledge. I think Aldredge ran in the top ten for a while.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

6/14/2018 8:57 PM

My bad on Steinke, I even got the class wrong unsure I misread an old Twitter from him thinking it was this year.

|

6/14/2018 9:58 PM

Autotech1957 wrote:

I just find it amazing that you need to spend an additional $3-5000 on a new bike to make it ridable. CRAZY!!!

What bike are we talking about?

|

11/25/2019 5:30 PM

I am not here to sell you a product:

"Try this protein powder, you'll get bigger", or "Buy these shoes, you'll run faster", or "Buy this bike, and you'll win more races". I've been both the guy trying to sell you something (in which I believed the products to be sound), and I've also been the guy buying these different products. For the most part, the results from many of them have been less then stellar. Some from my lack of commitment, others didn't meet my personal requirements, but mostly because they were simply J.U.N.K... 

So why do I feel a bolt on dirt-bike shock should be excluded from my original statement? Because I only want to sell you an experience...

I can only relate my experience as "threading the needle" as I felt most of this story is exactly that. Though the performance of the National Shock was recognized on paper, the reality of how good the National Shock really is became apparent when I hit the dirt. In 2nd gear, on the throttle hard coming out of a right hand turn into a straight stretch I never shut the throttle off as I threaded perfectly though a recent fresh cut log, approx. 15in in diameter and less then 12in apart hiding in the grass. It was at that moment the National Shock revealed how good suspension could really be. Not once did the fear of the rear end stepping out, the lose of traction or some unexplained event cause me to shut the throttle off. I could simply say it was confidence. In no other times in questionable traction conditions (or any conditions I imagine) would I have thought this was possible. That single experience has carried the way I have tested this shock since. I have 'threaded the needle' in most every situation I can think of and not once have a thought any less of the performance offered by this Mx-Tech National Shock. There wasn't an area I didn't feel the shock didn't offer top level performance above not only my stock shock, but my highly modified stock shock also by Mx-Tech. 

We have a sand track with a hard base that get baked in the summer, the rollers that develop are not of envy. They are difficult to time correctly, deep, rutted and offer no mercy to half-throttle riders. Even the best tire quickly if not conditioned. I hit the track with a bit of intimidation. but the result was a shock that never faulted. If it did bottom, I couldn't feel it... Maybe I imagine the shocks bottoming characteristics are one of those of dropping a bowling ball onto a mattress, not a concrete floor? Everything felt smooth, comfortable and in control, no packing or such. I do believe the shock overall was too soft for the kind of riding as it was setup for off-road but still... An example being a small step-up that you need to land off the previous jump and bounce back on top The shock was absorbing the impact and not giving me the full 'pop' or bounce I needed. I always clipped with top with the rear wheel but never out of control. If the stop-watch was on I bet I still did this section faster. Flat corners, bermed corners, inside or outside, I was able to put the bike where I wanted with more accuracy then before. 

When coming into braking bumps both large and small, the National Shock followed the ground with more control, eliminating the 'shock or sting' of bottoming while not kicking in both a side to side/up and down direction. The bike felt stable and comfortable as the shock was not transferring any feedback through the bike either. Braking could be done considerably later, and with more precision and control. When coming into corners I could not only hit them faster but with more accuracy, which in turn allowed me to carry more speed out of the corners then I might have been previously familiar with. The traction coming out allowed for the bike to push forward with more drive and confidence knowing the rear end was sticking to the ground and not hunting. Everything displayed was welcomed and not one single fault could be found.

Being a off-road guy I took to the trails as part of my test(s). In every single situation on my loops, the National Shock found traction that otherwise was not previously there due to the slippery conditions. Whether is was up some of the rock faces, or through rock gardens the shock followed the ground, never skipping, kicking or becoming unpredictable. The traction created more drive, in turn more momentum which allowed me to hit obstacle with not only more speed but more control too. I'm a good log hopper... Any size, angle, or multiples in a row I have always felt comfortable jumping them. The shock seemed to absorb them better with no kick. Lining up logs became easier, micro-corrections took less effort. Could I complain the shock was maybe a little too good in this are? When jumping logs in sequence, you want it a little firmer so you can get both the distance and height. Unfortunately the shock absorbed logs too well. When it came to ruts, or muliple ruts, the bike tracked straighter and didn't want to climb out. Side-hills could be hit with more speed and accuracy, and with less fear of the rear end stepping out causing you to slide to the valley bottom. 

Overall, two things I found to be most important are 1.) I could 'thread the needle' on every obstacle. I could do everything closer to the edge then I could have done before. I could hit a log straighter, jump off it farther while coming into a corner with braking bumps, brake late and get on the throttle sooner while lining up a rutted hill-climb. Straight up, I was faster. and with a higher level of confidence. The other being that because I could do this with less effort, I wasn't as tired as I might have been before. Since starting this review I have ridden multiple times with National Shock and every time has been better then the last as I am looking to find something that would show me otherwise. One downside? The shock weighed against my stock WP shock with no spring is not lighter, in fact its a few grams heavier. I am hoping Mx-Techs claims of being 1lb lighter then stock are measured against the Japanese brands.

With that being said, The Mx-Tech National Shock is on my short-list for Santa for 2020 off-road season. Its simply that good....

|

11/25/2019 8:03 PM

Simply put, if you get to ride one (which I did) , you will either

A. Buy One

or

B. Want to buy one...

|