MX Sports & Electric Motorcycles

DonM
4/5/2018 6:37am
Obviously most missed the one thing that makes everyone's argument moot....one guy signed up for LL qualifiers on an Alta...ONE GUY!!! there is no ban...the decision is not forever...it's "Lets take a year and look at this new technology"
There is nothing wrong with this decision...in fact it's the smart thing to do...you all act like this is an earth shattering life changing decision....ONE GUY...FFS....
snydes
4/5/2018 8:03am
DonM wrote:
Obviously most missed the one thing that makes everyone's argument moot....one guy signed up for LL qualifiers on an Alta...ONE GUY!!! there is no ban...the decision...
Obviously most missed the one thing that makes everyone's argument moot....one guy signed up for LL qualifiers on an Alta...ONE GUY!!! there is no ban...the decision is not forever...it's "Lets take a year and look at this new technology"
There is nothing wrong with this decision...in fact it's the smart thing to do...you all act like this is an earth shattering life changing decision....ONE GUY...FFS....
Exactly, allegedly only one guy as DC wrote. Why bring all this negative publicity and controversy upon your organization for the sake of one guy in an open class. Just go along with what the AMA already said they were ok with and let him run.

What was the problem?
DonM
4/5/2018 8:12am
DonM wrote:
Obviously most missed the one thing that makes everyone's argument moot....one guy signed up for LL qualifiers on an Alta...ONE GUY!!! there is no ban...the decision...
snydes wrote:
Exactly, allegedly only one guy as DC wrote. Why bring all this negative publicity and controversy upon your organization for the sake of one guy in...
Exactly, allegedly only one guy as DC wrote. Why bring all this negative publicity and controversy upon your organization for the sake of one guy in an open class. Just go along with what the AMA already said they were ok with and let him run.

What was the problem?
Are you sure it was in an open class?? Maybe it was a 250 class.... Again to repeat what DC said "They are not homologated nor have they asked to be yet...Nobody is getting hurt here...this thread is full of piling on and let's take it to the man thug mentality....with zero knowledge of the facts...
motomike137
4/5/2018 8:28am
DonM wrote:
This is nit picking but there are still a lot of area qualifiers yet to be run. How do we know that there wouldn't have been a few more?

The Shop

snydes
4/5/2018 8:42am
DonM wrote:
Are you sure it was in an open class?? Maybe it was a 250 class.... Again to repeat what DC said "They are not homologated nor...
Are you sure it was in an open class?? Maybe it was a 250 class.... Again to repeat what DC said "They are not homologated nor have they asked to be yet...Nobody is getting hurt here...this thread is full of piling on and let's take it to the man thug mentality....with zero knowledge of the facts...
The homologation point is null and void in the open classes, which again is really why everyone is upset. If they would have just followed suit with the AMA... and I realize they were well within their rights NOT to... none of this argument would have started. Anyone showing up expecting to run one in a 250 class did absolutely no homework on the subject and I personally wouldn’t feel sorry for them being turned away.
OldYZRider1
4/5/2018 9:50am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 9:51am
This is nit picking but there are still a lot of area qualifiers yet to be run. How do we know that there wouldn't have been...
This is nit picking but there are still a lot of area qualifiers yet to be run. How do we know that there wouldn't have been a few more?
Yea its very early in the racing season to make claims either away about riders wishing to try and qualify on them. I don't know alot about the process but I think there's only been one area qualifier run as I write this and apparently one guy trued to race but couldn't. According to the rules there is no pre-registration ahead for the qualifiers unless the promoter offers it, so its unknown how many guys were thinking of racing them this season.
Robgvx
4/5/2018 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 12:26pm
1. I’d love to test ride an Alta. I’d probably even buy one, purely because noise complaints are the biggest reason we lose tracks these days and it’d be nice to be able to ride locally without giving Kiljoys a reason to complain.

2. That said, what I don’t want to see is a rule being passed hastily which gives electric bikes a current, or future (with advancement in electric/battery technology) advantage that sees the ICE rendered obsolete. That’s exactly what happened with two strokes.

3. Once a rule is passed it’s not easy to go back on it. Manufacturers invested in that new technology on the strength of a black and white rule won’t take kindly to the goal posts being moved later on. That’s why they can’t simply change the cc equation with two and four strokes.

4. For those reasons I can’t really see how electric bikes can ever compete in the same class as ICE bikes - not in a competition that really matters to the manufacturers. Whatever the rule, one type will be more competitive and the other will die out. And I don’t want to see either type of machine become extinct.

It doesn’t matter how the two types of engines/motors are measured/classified, one of them will have an advantage - either right now or in the future. That’s just the same with 2 and 4 stroke ICE’s. You’ll never make an equation for electric v ICE, (or indeed 2 stroke v 4 stroke), that creates parity forever, and you can’t keep changing it to neuter the stronger bike.

For those reasons I think Davey’s making the right decision.
Bry145
4/5/2018 12:57pm
Robgvx wrote:
1. I’d love to test ride an Alta. I’d probably even buy one, purely because noise complaints are the biggest reason we lose tracks these days...
1. I’d love to test ride an Alta. I’d probably even buy one, purely because noise complaints are the biggest reason we lose tracks these days and it’d be nice to be able to ride locally without giving Kiljoys a reason to complain.

2. That said, what I don’t want to see is a rule being passed hastily which gives electric bikes a current, or future (with advancement in electric/battery technology) advantage that sees the ICE rendered obsolete. That’s exactly what happened with two strokes.

3. Once a rule is passed it’s not easy to go back on it. Manufacturers invested in that new technology on the strength of a black and white rule won’t take kindly to the goal posts being moved later on. That’s why they can’t simply change the cc equation with two and four strokes.

4. For those reasons I can’t really see how electric bikes can ever compete in the same class as ICE bikes - not in a competition that really matters to the manufacturers. Whatever the rule, one type will be more competitive and the other will die out. And I don’t want to see either type of machine become extinct.

It doesn’t matter how the two types of engines/motors are measured/classified, one of them will have an advantage - either right now or in the future. That’s just the same with 2 and 4 stroke ICE’s. You’ll never make an equation for electric v ICE, (or indeed 2 stroke v 4 stroke), that creates parity forever, and you can’t keep changing it to neuter the stronger bike.

For those reasons I think Davey’s making the right decision.
"2. That said, what I don’t want to see is a rule being passed hastily which gives electric bikes a current, or future (with advancement in electric/battery technology) advantage that sees the ICE rendered obsolete. That’s exactly what happened with two strokes."

ICE bikes won't be made obsolete by a rule change. In a sport that is primarily skill-dependent with the machine playing a much smaller role, the rider/racer is still the biggest piece of the puzzle. An A rider on a 125 can/will outride a C rider on the best 450 or e-bike. This will never change.

Two-strokes weren't made obsolete by four-strokes. The only reason four-strokes gained popularity was due to a displacement advantage. This displacement advantage also makes them easier to ride for lesser skilled riders.

From a bang for the buck perspective, two-strokes are still the best motocross machines. This means nothing for those that are well-off, but many working class folks only have finite amount a year to spend on dirt bikes. For people of limited means, the two-stroke is the best bike.

In a perfect world the Alta would be allowed in Vet Classes at LL to see how they fit in. Then, in the immediate future, integrate them into the other classes. I think a much bigger controversy is allowing professional racers who still compete for money and are on OEM payrolls to compete at amateur nationals against those who never raced for money. But that is a different topic entirely.

The Japanese will soon have e-bikes. Sorting all of this out with the Alta would allow them to be raced right away.

The lack of noise of the e-bikes will be a good thing for everyone. Unless they are taken places they should not be (MTB trails, golf courses, ect.), which could be a big clusterf___.

Zoom
4/5/2018 6:37pm
DonM wrote:
snydes wrote:
Exactly, allegedly only one guy as DC wrote. Why bring all this negative publicity and controversy upon your organization for the sake of one guy in...

What was the problem?
Pretty short sided of to think that only one Alta owner was the only one that wanted to make a run at Loretta's. Now that the new and improved 2018 MXR is out, I know of about 5 riders just in Texas that wanted to give it a shot. It's only been out for a few weeks now, I'm sure there will be many more that would have tried.
make1go
4/6/2018 7:01am
snydes wrote:
In regards to the complaining, it would appear the lack of prompt corrective actions are the root problem in both cases.
Funny how history is repeating itself.
Also funny how the same people are involved.
You know what they say about repeating the same mistake over?
Funny how people with vested interests dig their heels in when something might change.

Fact is A LOT of people have lost respect for the governing bodies and the actual peole involved. But hey moneys is far more important than respect when you are corrupt.
dkg
4/6/2018 11:46am
make1go wrote:
Funny how history is repeating itself. Also funny how the same people are involved. You know what they say about repeating the same mistake over? Funny...
Funny how people with vested interests dig their heels in when something might change.

Fact is A LOT of people have lost respect for the governing bodies and the actual peole involved. But hey moneys is far more important than respect when you are corrupt.

Johnny Depp
4/7/2018 10:44am
Once again, the AMA has no interest in setting any rules for the sport that might step on anyone's toes that promote races and bring in the cash. Let the promoters make all the rules they want, just send the money.

The organizations that "Own" the contracts to the AMA series get to call the shots and E-bikes will be welcome first in series where competing financial interests don't exist.
Katoomey
4/7/2018 10:57am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 11:00am
make1go wrote:
Funny how history is repeating itself. Also funny how the same people are involved. You know what they say about repeating the same mistake over? Funny...

i'm not corrupt, but I'd put money before your "respect" of the sport. why wouldn't I? why wouldn't they? are you paying their mortgages?

you say "Funny how history is repeating itself? what's your point even? they made money before and now they are going to make more money? OH NO?!?!?!?! just because you've concluded in your mind, that the AMA has gone the wrong direction doesn't make it true. That's just regurgitated nonsense you've borrowed from other people. here's an idea. Have an original thought for once in your life.

not everyone blames 4-strokes for whatever "perceived" loss in monies or participation that has occurred in this sport.
Ted722
4/7/2018 11:05am
Ready to go to print Jody! http://altaownersforum.com/threads/2018-alta-redshift-mxr-review-mxa-st…

2018 ALTA REDSHIFT MXR

I own a 2017 Alta Redshift MX. Yesterday Alta Motors had a demo day at Hollister Hills SVRA , south of San Francisco. I got to check out and ride the 2018 Alta Redshift MXR. Below is the review. MXA has never written an Alta review, so I will write one for them.

Q: IS THE 2018 ALTA REDSHIFT MXR BETTER THAN THE 2017 ALTA REDSHIFT MX?

A: You're damn right it is better. A whopping 25% increase in power, quicker charging, latest and greatest WP suspension, proper MX tires, grippier footpegs. And the most important change is the white plastic.

Q: WHAT DID ALTA CHANGE ON THE MX(R) FOR 2018?

A: A plenty of things that matter the most. So much that Alta had to introduce the MXR moniker.

(1) New battery. Same 5.8KW capacity, but it can now be charged and discharged much quicker. Thanks to this, the bike can now produce 50HP, a whopping 25% increase. Kids, this is 50HP for you. The power and the hit of a 250 2-stroke with the delivery, the traction and control that is superior to that of a 4-stroke, and the holeshot acceleration that is faster the fastest 450. The 147 ft-lbs of torque is greater than in most 2.0L passenger sedans. Additionally, reportedly, the new battery has no thermal issues of the old battery, this is why it is possible to discharge it so much quicker, producing more power. And the re-charging now takes only 1.5 hours from a 240V source. The riding range is the same, but you can now drain that battery faster and charge it faster.

(2) AER48 fork. The latest venerable WP air fork replaces the 4CS fork. That saves ~3 lbs. The bike's "fueled" weight is now 259 lbs.

(3) The shock. The latest WP shock replaces the older WP shock. It also comes with a new linkage. The result is a ~10% motion ratio change. The new spring itself is probably softer, but the whole rear end is definitely stiffer. Pump up that AER fork and the bike is no longer undersprung.

(4) White plastic. Gone is the Suzuki-yellow, we do not want to associate with that manufacturer. Thank you, Alta!!!

(5) Footpegs. New less slippery and more grippy footpegs.

Q: THE BURNING QUESTION ON THE MIND OF ALL CURRENT ALTA OWNERS: HOW CAN I ADD 25% MORE HP TO MY CURRENT REDSHIFT?

A: You need to buy a new battery, flash a new software, and we suspect that's it. However we emailed this question to Alta today and are expecting a confirmation and the pricing details.

Q: THE QUESTION ON THE MIND OF ALL FUTURE ALTA OWNERS: IS THIS BIKE A REAL MX BIKE? IT IS COMING TO MY TRACK?

A: It is real, and it is coming. And it will beat your current bike weekend after weekend, after weekend. If you can't beat it -- buy it.

Q: HOW IS THE POWER?

A: Awesome. Instant. Plentiful. Ridiculously easy to control with a twist of the throttle. Say hello to power slides at both low and high speeds, and wheeling over obstacles. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. All my current bikes, with the exception of the classic '05 CRF and '95 CRs, are for sale.

Q: HOW IS THE NEW SUSPENSION?

A: The demo bike's fork was slightly underinflated compared to the rear, for my liking. But that's a 30-second fix, just do not get an arm pump before the race. The shock is valved very decently from the factory, but it could use more low-speed rebound damping. But I would not have hesitated racing this bike as-is.

Q: HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE GAS-POWERED BIKES THAT ARE CURRENTLY ON THE MARKER?

(1) Weight. It weighs 259 lbs, which is what YZ450F and RM450 weight when topped off with fuel. But, as a rider, you only feel this weight when lifting the bike onto the center stand. On the track, in motion, the bike feels as light as a 250cc 2-stroke. This is due to the lack of the rotating flywheel inertia.

(2) Power. As it was said before, the power is awesome. The MXR will beat the 250cc bikes on any track. It will accelerate out of corners faster than the 450cc bikes. Being 10 HP short of the 450cc 4-strokes, it may not climb Mt. Helen as fast as the big bikes. But it will holeshot and will be running up front, and this is half of the victory.

(3) Handling. It can turn tighter and cut under any other bike, including the proverbial Suzuki. Perhaps only a 125cc bike could rotate quicker. It is also super easy to place the Redshift anywhere on the track and get it to follow any line desired. Best of all, it does exactly as it is told and never does any weird unexpected kicks or tricks that happen due to a sudden rear wheel spin.

(4) Ergonomics. Both the standing and the sitting positions good and feel right. The bike is on the narrow side. Some people like narrow bikes, but I like something a bit fatter between my lags. The "radiator shrouds" are a little bulging, and I hope Alta redesigns them in future models to make them flow with the seat and the frame a little better. The footpegs are located a little lower than on other bikes. On one hand, this creates more cockpit room. On the other, get used to riding properly on the balls of your feet with the toes in, else your toes can get banged up or hooked onto things. The footpegs are interchangeable with the YZ250F/YZ450F footpegs.

(5) Bodywork. The plastic is made by Acerbis. The front fender and front number place have the same shape as the '09 CRF. There are a few dubious molded-in nuts in various plastic parts. Never over-tighten the screws that do into those nuts. Use medium or low-strength Loctite instead. Best of all, the Redshift boasts a no-tools air filter replacement. Just kidding!

(6) Brakes. They are Brembo brakes, exact same as on all KTMs and Huskys.

Q: WHAT ARE THE WORST ATTRIBUTES OF THE REDSHIFT, AND CAN THEY BE FIXED?

A: There are a few small things.

(1) Rear brake. The rear brake is too touchy. Having no flywheel inertia is equivalent to braking with the clutch pulled in. The solutions are several. The simplest one is to buy an add-on Rear Brake Return Spring made by Fasst Company. It makes the rear brake pedal easier to feel, and also makes it harder to lock up the rear wheel. Another solutions is to add a Left Hand Rear Brake (LHRCool . Alta is working on this product, stay tuned.

(2) Mud collector. A lot of mud gets collected under the motor. It is not easy to get to, even with a pressure washer. The solution is to use a skid plate. SXS makes one. Alta also makes one, which it installs on the EX models. Or you can cut your own MX skid plate from a sheet of plastic and attach it with a couple of bolts and zip ties. This will be not for protection but to keep the mud out.

Q: IT IS WORTH UPGRADING OR TRADING UP FROM THE 2017 MX TO THE 2018 MXR?

A: Probably. But you mileage may vary. The new MSRP prices are $10,495 for the 2018 MX and $11,995 for the MXR models. If you need more power and must recharge the battery quicker, then yes. However, the riding range is the same. I would not do it for the suspension, as it is likely to also need a revalve, eventually. Although the MXR suspension is race-ready from the factory, so you do not have to mess with it right away. Additionally, if you shelled out $15K for the 2017 model (you know who you are!), then you can surely spend a little more.

Q: HOW DOES THE ALTA REDSHIFT COMPARE TO THE KTM FREERIDE E?

A: Are you kidding? The Freeride is a 20hp moped with a cheap short travel suspension. No contest.

Q: WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT AN ELECTRIC BIKE?

A: It is fast. It is almost maintenance free. But the biggest reason is that it is so much fun! This might be painful to hear, but the Redshift is more fun that any 2-stroke. An instant response, always 'on the pipe', always in the right gear, no clutching, no starting, no stalling. It is quiet enough to ride in your backyard every day after work. In fact, this is what I am going to start doing.

Q: DOESN'T IT SOUND LIKE AN RC CAR? THE 2-STROKE AND THUMPERS SOUND BETTER.

A: It does sound a bit like an RC car. But listening to the sound of the rear tire throwing roost beats the crap out of BRA-A-A-AP.

Q: WHAT DID WE HATE?

(1) Rear brake. Buy a Fasst Rear Brake Return Spring and install it right away. You will need the KTM Brembo model.

(2) Molded-in nuts. You will start hating them the first time you over-tighten one. Therefore, finger tighten those bolts and use a drop of Loctite to keep them in.

(3) No noise. A quiet bike can be very good, until you need to get around someone at the track. You have to get too close or yell for them to notice you. I think Alta needs to sell an air horn as an option.

Q: WHAT DID WE LIKE?

A: The like list is:

(1) Power. It is awesome, instant, plentiful, easily controllable.

(2) Traction. In the 1st or 2nd mode, I climbed such hills that I was afraid to look at.

(3) Handling. This is perhaps the best handling big bike ever made.

(4) No noise. Yes, the no-noise made both the hate and the like list. No noise can be very good as well.

(5) The sound. Hearing the rear tire slide, hook up, or throw roost is amazing.

Q: WHAT DO WE REALLY THINK?

A: The Alta Redshift MXR is definitely the most fun and the most radical new bike of the millennium. It is going to be popular. It is already competitive. Some people are curious. Some are ignoring it. Some are hating. The AMA is afraid of it, they probably want to ignore or dismiss it. But it is coming, whether they want it or not, and it is coming fast! We will still keep and never sell the gas-powered bikes that we love. We will still take them out to the track and make noise and roost dirt. But when the time comes to change oil, filters, adjust the valve clearances, or rebuild the top end, it is very likely that we will just roll out the electric one out of the garage and ride it instead. And then keep riding it, and riding it. Never underestimate the power of the lazy, or the size of the wallet of the guy who wants to holeshot and be the fastest on the track, or the determination of the guy who wants to have the most fun. The future of electric dirt bikes is looking very bright.
Johnny Depp
4/8/2018 8:04am
That MXA style review is very eye opening and a great read.

Let's assume the Alta would have kicked butt at Seattle last night. Should progress be held back?
4/8/2018 3:12pm
Stretch67 wrote:
Really dumb and short sighted IMO. I understand the A and B classes but the Vet and open classes. From Release: "Until further information is known...
Really dumb and short sighted IMO.

I understand the A and B classes but the Vet and open classes.

From Release:

"Until further information is known on the performance comparison between combustion and electric motorcycles, it would be pre-mature to allow these machines to compete at the national level."

You don't gain a further information by excluding. Let them race and then next year you can change something if need be.

To me this has the big OEM's putting a stop to it.

Did they say the same sort of thing when four strokes were on the horizon?
Bry145
4/9/2018 3:25pm
Did they say the same sort of thing when four strokes were on the horizon?
Back in the good old days they had a four-stroke class.

Not offering a e-bike class with them on the horizon breaks precedent.

A good compromise would be allowing them in the Vet Class, but imagine if Darryn Durham showed up and won. "Oh the humanity!"

4/9/2018 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 6:29pm
Ted722 wrote:
Ready to go to print Jody! http://altaownersforum.com/threads/2018-alta-redshift-mxr-review-mxa-style.6/ [b]2018 ALTA REDSHIFT MXR[/b] I own a 2017 Alta Redshift MX. Yesterday Alta Motors had a demo day at...
Ready to go to print Jody! http://altaownersforum.com/threads/2018-alta-redshift-mxr-review-mxa-st…

2018 ALTA REDSHIFT MXR

I own a 2017 Alta Redshift MX. Yesterday Alta Motors had a demo day at Hollister Hills SVRA , south of San Francisco. I got to check out and ride the 2018 Alta Redshift MXR. Below is the review. MXA has never written an Alta review, so I will write one for them.

A: You're damn right it is better. A whopping 25% increase in power, quicker charging, latest and greatest WP suspension, proper MX tires, grippier footpegs. And the most important change is the white plastic.

A: A plenty of things that matter the most. So much that Alta had to introduce the MXR moniker.

(1) New battery. Same 5.8KW capacity, but it can now be charged and discharged much quicker. Thanks to this, the bike can now produce 50HP, a whopping 25% increase. Kids, this is 50HP for you. The power and the hit of a 250 2-stroke with the delivery, the traction and control that is superior to that of a 4-stroke, and the holeshot acceleration that is faster the fastest 450. The 147 ft-lbs of torque is greater than in most 2.0L passenger sedans. Additionally, reportedly, the new battery has no thermal issues of the old battery, this is why it is possible to discharge it so much quicker, producing more power. And the re-charging now takes only 1.5 hours from a 240V source. The riding range is the same, but you can now drain that battery faster and charge it faster.

(2) AER48 fork. The latest venerable WP air fork replaces the 4CS fork. That saves ~3 lbs. The bike's "fueled" weight is now 259 lbs.

(3) The shock. The latest WP shock replaces the older WP shock. It also comes with a new linkage. The result is a ~10% motion ratio change. The new spring itself is probably softer, but the whole rear end is definitely stiffer. Pump up that AER fork and the bike is no longer undersprung.

(4) White plastic. Gone is the Suzuki-yellow, we do not want to associate with that manufacturer. Thank you, Alta!!!

Q: THE BURNING QUESTION ON THE MIND OF ALL CURRENT ALTA OWNERS: HOW CAN I ADD 25% MORE HP TO MY CURRENT REDSHIFT?

A: You need to buy a new battery, flash a new software, and we suspect that's it. However we emailed this question to Alta today and are expecting a confirmation and the pricing details.

Q: THE QUESTION ON THE MIND OF ALL FUTURE ALTA OWNERS: IS THIS BIKE A REAL MX BIKE? IT IS COMING TO MY TRACK?

A: It is real, and it is coming. And it will beat your current bike weekend after weekend, after weekend. If you can't beat it -- buy it.

A: Awesome. Instant. Plentiful. Ridiculously easy to control with a twist of the throttle. Say hello to power slides at both low and high speeds, and wheeling over obstacles. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. All my current bikes, with the exception of the classic '05 CRF and '95 CRs, are for sale.

A: The demo bike's fork was slightly underinflated compared to the rear, for my liking. But that's a 30-second fix, just do not get an arm pump before the race. The shock is valved very decently from the factory, but it could use more low-speed rebound damping. But I would not have hesitated racing this bike as-is.

Q: HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE GAS-POWERED BIKES THAT ARE CURRENTLY ON THE MARKER?

(1) Weight. It weighs 259 lbs, which is what YZ450F and RM450 weight when topped off with fuel. But, as a rider, you only feel this weight when lifting the bike onto the center stand. On the track, in motion, the bike feels as light as a 250cc 2-stroke. This is due to the lack of the rotating flywheel inertia.

(2) Power. As it was said before, the power is awesome. The MXR will beat the 250cc bikes on any track. It will accelerate out of corners faster than the 450cc bikes. Being 10 HP short of the 450cc 4-strokes, it may not climb Mt. Helen as fast as the big bikes. But it will holeshot and will be running up front, and this is half of the victory.

(3) Handling. It can turn tighter and cut under any other bike, including the proverbial Suzuki. Perhaps only a 125cc bike could rotate quicker. It is also super easy to place the Redshift anywhere on the track and get it to follow any line desired. Best of all, it does exactly as it is told and never does any weird unexpected kicks or tricks that happen due to a sudden rear wheel spin.

(4) Ergonomics. Both the standing and the sitting positions good and feel right. The bike is on the narrow side. Some people like narrow bikes, but I like something a bit fatter between my lags. The "radiator shrouds" are a little bulging, and I hope Alta redesigns them in future models to make them flow with the seat and the frame a little better. The footpegs are located a little lower than on other bikes. On one hand, this creates more cockpit room. On the other, get used to riding properly on the balls of your feet with the toes in, else your toes can get banged up or hooked onto things. The footpegs are interchangeable with the YZ250F/YZ450F footpegs.

(5) Bodywork. The plastic is made by Acerbis. The front fender and front number place have the same shape as the '09 CRF. There are a few dubious molded-in nuts in various plastic parts. Never over-tighten the screws that do into those nuts. Use medium or low-strength Loctite instead. Best of all, the Redshift boasts a no-tools air filter replacement. Just kidding!

(1) Rear brake. The rear brake is too touchy. Having no flywheel inertia is equivalent to braking with the clutch pulled in. The solutions are several. The simplest one is to buy an add-on Rear Brake Return Spring made by Fasst Company. It makes the rear brake pedal easier to feel, and also makes it harder to lock up the rear wheel. Another solutions is to add a Left Hand Rear Brake (LHRCool . Alta is working on this product, stay tuned.

(2) Mud collector. A lot of mud gets collected under the motor. It is not easy to get to, even with a pressure washer. The solution is to use a skid plate. SXS makes one. Alta also makes one, which it installs on the EX models. Or you can cut your own MX skid plate from a sheet of plastic and attach it with a couple of bolts and zip ties. This will be not for protection but to keep the mud out.

A: Probably. But you mileage may vary. The new MSRP prices are $10,495 for the 2018 MX and $11,995 for the MXR models. If you need more power and must recharge the battery quicker, then yes. However, the riding range is the same. I would not do it for the suspension, as it is likely to also need a revalve, eventually. Although the MXR suspension is race-ready from the factory, so you do not have to mess with it right away. Additionally, if you shelled out $15K for the 2017 model (you know who you are!), then you can surely spend a little more.

A: Are you kidding? The Freeride is a 20hp moped with a cheap short travel suspension. No contest.

A: It is fast. It is almost maintenance free. But the biggest reason is that it is so much fun! This might be painful to hear, but the Redshift is more fun that any 2-stroke. An instant response, always 'on the pipe', always in the right gear, no clutching, no starting, no stalling. It is quiet enough to ride in your backyard every day after work. In fact, this is what I am going to start doing.

A: It does sound a bit like an RC car. But listening to the sound of the rear tire throwing roost beats the crap out of BRA-A-A-AP.

(1) Rear brake. Buy a Fasst Rear Brake Return Spring and install it right away. You will need the KTM Brembo model.

(2) Molded-in nuts. You will start hating them the first time you over-tighten one. Therefore, finger tighten those bolts and use a drop of Loctite to keep them in.

(3) No noise. A quiet bike can be very good, until you need to get around someone at the track. You have to get too close or yell for them to notice you. I think Alta needs to sell an air horn as an option.

(2) Traction. In the 1st or 2nd mode, I climbed such hills that I was afraid to look at.

(4) No noise. Yes, the no-noise made both the hate and the like list. No noise can be very good as well.

A: The Alta Redshift MXR is definitely the most fun and the most radical new bike of the millennium. It is going to be popular. It is already competitive. Some people are curious. Some are ignoring it. Some are hating. The AMA is afraid of it, they probably want to ignore or dismiss it. But it is coming, whether they want it or not, and it is coming fast! We will still keep and never sell the gas-powered bikes that we love. We will still take them out to the track and make noise and roost dirt. But when the time comes to change oil, filters, adjust the valve clearances, or rebuild the top end, it is very likely that we will just roll out the electric one out of the garage and ride it instead. And then keep riding it, and riding it. Never underestimate the power of the lazy, or the size of the wallet of the guy who wants to holeshot and be the fastest on the track, or the determination of the guy who wants to have the most fun. The future of electric dirt bikes is looking very bright.
4/9/2018 6:28pm
Ted722 wrote:
Ready to go to print Jody! http://altaownersforum.com/threads/2018-alta-redshift-mxr-review-mxa-style.6/ [b]2018 ALTA REDSHIFT MXR[/b] I own a 2017 Alta Redshift MX. Yesterday Alta Motors had a demo day at...

2018 ALTA REDSHIFT MXR

How was the fucking gearing though? Go down a tooth or GTFO.
Connor Holio
4/9/2018 7:31pm
How was the fucking gearing though? Go down a tooth or GTFO.
Must go up 1 tooth in the rear to get a full MXA's approval. If you can find a KTM rear sprocket larger than the Alta's stock 53 teeth.
MotoMo165
4/9/2018 8:11pm
there is going to be an electric bike race in downtown portland
leighracer
4/9/2018 10:10pm
MotoMo165 wrote:
Someone should start a ten page thread about how butthurt they are that ICE bikes aren't going to be allowed to compete and the endless conspiracy theories about who benefits from it. Oh....wait.....
ando
4/9/2018 10:37pm
This is one of the downsides of production model racing. The OEM's have to make a financial commitment to support the series. Changing the rules too often doesn't do anyone any good, as it stops being production based.
make1go
4/10/2018 12:44am
Katoomey wrote:
i'm not corrupt, but I'd put money before your "respect" of the sport. why wouldn't I? why wouldn't they? are you paying their mortgages? you say...
i'm not corrupt, but I'd put money before your "respect" of the sport. why wouldn't I? why wouldn't they? are you paying their mortgages?

you say "Funny how history is repeating itself? what's your point even? they made money before and now they are going to make more money? OH NO?!?!?!?! just because you've concluded in your mind, that the AMA has gone the wrong direction doesn't make it true. That's just regurgitated nonsense you've borrowed from other people. here's an idea. Have an original thought for once in your life.

not everyone blames 4-strokes for whatever "perceived" loss in monies or participation that has occurred in this sport.
You obviously like showing how ignorant you are.
And your good at both.
4/10/2018 7:18am
hard2kill wrote:
I would be curious to know if ktm has plans to release a bike comparable to the alta next year. If so it will sure be...
I would be curious to know if ktm has plans to release a bike comparable to the alta next year. If so it will sure be interesting to see if they are handled with the same amount of "caution" or will it be said that Alta paved the way for their platform?
They are planning to build mini e-bikes to replace the KTM 50's. It will be interesting to see where those get to race when released next year.
andy
4/10/2018 7:33am
MotoMo165 wrote:
leighracer wrote:
Someone should start a ten page thread about how butthurt they are that ICE bikes aren't going to be allowed to compete and the endless conspiracy...
Someone should start a ten page thread about how butthurt they are that ICE bikes aren't going to be allowed to compete and the endless conspiracy theories about who benefits from it. Oh....wait.....
Leigh... Do you know what the acronym ICE is? Obviously not. Do you know what to do when you encounter an injustice? Obviously not.
leighracer
4/10/2018 7:55am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 7:58am
andy wrote:
Leigh... Do you know what the acronym ICE is? Obviously not. Do you know what to do when you encounter an injustice? Obviously not.
Andy. In this context it means Internal Combustion Engine. Some people prefer IC. What's your point? If you were thinking of the government agency with the same acronym, maybe you would be more comfortable in the Non-moto section.
andy
4/10/2018 8:27am
Pretty funny twist you made there. You win that one. You said ICE bikes were not allowed to compete. Makes me wonder if you are knowledgeable. And your comment about butthurt. The comments in this 10 pager stem from a perseption of corruption within our loved sport. To call that butthurt is pretty lame.

Post a reply to: MX Sports & Electric Motorcycles

The Latest