MX Sports & Electric Motorcycles

MohMoto14
4/1/2018 5:22am
Its the same AMA almost all of us have been throwing our money at all of our lives like its the snake oil cure for cancer. Did we actually expect to see them do something productive with it thats beneficial to us now? Every thing they say and do is contradicting and even in their long seemingly thought out answer for it they fail to say what they're really doing which is nothing. They make a quick choice that benefits their real plan which is sitting on their hands and not doing their job.

Their excuse is they don't want to make the same mistake that they fail to point out they are still doing nothing about. They admit they half assed it with the 4 strokes. They made a rule while admittedly being ignorant and without testing. Apparently they can exempt a rule but can not amend it as things evolve, couldn't say 450cc is to much and give manufacturers a few years grace period to knock 100cc off? No one ran off after the production rule so why would reducing displacement with time to adjust do it? Or just increase the 2 strokes to match? Stupid!

To hear him talking about quiet and clean vs loud and dirty made me laugh pretty hard. They said 4 strokes would benefit us BC they're cleaner. Instead prices went up, tracks closed and my ama district disappeared. They couldn't care less about any of that environmental stuff. They want money for doing nothing. Surprised the people who are making the decisions for us are just now deciding they might want to try riding one of these electric bikes? Think borrowing a last years model will give him the best picture of what the unknown advancements might be on technology rapidly advancing? I'm certainly not claiming to be a genius or even know what I'm talking about but they must have skipped the day they taught scientific method in high school.

Sorry for the rant and venting, ive always seen it like this and i don't really know why were discussing it. They don't care what you think, they don't care about what we would like to see happen and it surely won't be considered when they do vote. Bend over and take it, your just along for the ride.
snydes
4/1/2018 5:26am
It's ok, he did a token ride on a buddies bike and he said it put a smile on his face. Problem solved.
wardy
4/1/2018 6:57am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 11:07pm
Mike you know how this stuff works. As do I.

I am being "nice" in these posts as it's public.

these are the same things that make it "allowed" to run the 150 in an 85 class. by changing the name of a class.

but it's ok we know where and how it all works.

travis rode this bike, and we know 1st hand what it can do in it's current form.

but of course this is not the point. it's just a further blurring of the process which allows 64 riders to go a regional after milking that area with 8 qualifiers and ...........................

have a great day. it's time to go prep the track and water inside the tin can. have a great easter weekend.

ps..... as I finally got back to this place and re-read your post. THE ONE rule book i speak is the ONE that should be used and not be allowed to have so many if any supplemental rules. Specifically in case like above and so many other things that there needs to be somewhere or sometime when it needs to stop.
but not sure how much it's relevant any longer for me anyway. thanks for the text! and enjoy the nice weather ours well we are still indoors........................... Smile
make1go
4/1/2018 7:22am
snydes wrote:
It's ok, he did a token ride on a buddies bike and he said it put a smile on his face. Problem solved.
Top stuff TOP STUFF, haha, perfect sarcasm.
Research in: "bike is to good to be allowed to race."

The Shop

leighracer
4/1/2018 7:35am
Bearuno wrote:
Sell it to yourself - you seem to be the only one that thinks Anyone here has thought of Alta 'spanking' the 'big five'. Largely /...
Sell it to yourself - you seem to be the only one that thinks Anyone here has thought of Alta 'spanking' the 'big five'.

Largely / Basically, people are incredulous that DC and Co have decided that in their big showpiece race, they have chosen to ignore a fair rule that covers every other AMA Amateur race event.

It's a decision that very much undermines DC's / MX Sports ( or whatever company name Loretta's runs under) image and reputation, for quite a few people.

But, you are right in that it has given Alta a fair bit more publicity than if DC and Co had allowed the Bikes into 'their' race. All while creating a shedload of negative publicity for the organisers of Loretta's.
Umm? Yeah? If you read through the thread there's a crap ton of people claiming some nefarious motive behind this decision. Mostly centered around the idea that DCSports is $omehow being influenced by other manufacturers in choosing this direction, because you know, they're afraid of being left behind by the threat of new and exciting technology that they can't respond to. It's laughable.
make1go
4/1/2018 7:43am
Now only admitting a mistake was made with the 4t displacement.

Now using vague stuff like "let the geni out of the bottle" and hooking on to someones piont that they hadnt thought about, as in, "what else is on the way".

Back to my original piont, no way are they going to admit that locking the redshift out is a mistake, well maybe in 20 years..

You learn from your mistakes BUT only if you own them..

Zoom
4/1/2018 8:06am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2018 8:11am
Bearuno wrote:
Certainly it's not that simple, but nothing they've ( or any ICE bike development/ innovation) done is simple. But, E tech is developing rapidly, and it...
Certainly it's not that simple, but nothing they've ( or any ICE bike development/ innovation) done is simple. But, E tech is developing rapidly, and it will continue to do so. Once again, go and read / watch the tests and reviews of the MXR and the standard variant of the Altas.

I truly believe that they'd have an advantage in the 250 class with something like the MXR. And you can bet your boots that they'd have little problem getting a comparable level of performance increase that a Factory / Satellite Team achieves on a 250 F. Well, they've shown Just That with the MXR, and I'm certain they could do it with the MXR spec, to get it right there with 450s. How long are the races at Loretta's? I don't think they'd have battery problems there, as a Alta 'Factory' Team.

I think their greatest challenge would be getting a Top Level rider. And relying on them not getting high end riders as a 'control' is Not a good idea for the sport.

They need a 'Sugar Daddy' of a sponsor, like KTM has Red Bull. I wonder if Elon Musk has any interest in E Bikes / SX and MX???????

Things like this with DC and Co, with them not allowing a bike in 'their' race, when it's allowed in a (open) class at other amateur events, really makes me wonder.

Put it together with he / them not allowing 2t and 4t equivalency after all of these years of truly terrible rules, when it is proven that it's a fair and logical form of racing - well, it casts a shadow over things. And that is unfortunate, as , largely, I believe He / They do a very fine job .
scott_nz wrote:
Loretta's does have 2t and 4t equivalency, and has had for a number of years, as does all AMA Amateur events, just a question, is anyone...
Loretta's does have 2t and 4t equivalency, and has had for a number of years,
as does all AMA Amateur events,

just a question, is anyone here directly effected by this? meaning they were planning on racing LL this year on a Alta?
Me and my son...

I qualified for LL last year on my 125 for the Over 50 class. Even though I'm quite a bit Over 50 now, I was going to try again on my MXR. I'm not going to try on my 125 this year though. Just going to support my son and his quest to qualify this year. I will race the MXR at some local events though.

My son was in qualifying position last year at the regional before a crash ended his chances. He was going to try and qualify in the 450 C class on an MXR this year and on his 250F in the 250 C class. Now will be trying for both classes on his 250F
twotwosix
4/1/2018 8:09am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2018 8:12am
DC wrote:
ns503 wrote, They likely aren't basing this decision on the Alta - more likely, what might be coming after that. So if they open the E...
ns503 wrote, They likely aren't basing this decision on the Alta - more likely, what might be coming after that. So if they open the E bike door now, it might be hard to close when one comes along that has way more power. Or whatever.

This is a good point, thank you. It's not about what the current Alta can do -- it is my personal opinion after riding the '17 Redshift more that it that it would be a challenge in the ruts and braking situations of Loretta Lynn's, as well as the loose dirt (if you follow track prep) but it's still as fun as can be, and surprisingly fast -- but what the next models will do. There is no Alta race team at this time; there is no groundswell of entries for Loretta Lynn's (I think there has been one so far in '18) but they are likely coming for all eBike offerings.

Again, please understand that everyone wants to get this right, and the AMA and MX Sports will monitor their performance in races all over the country. This decision by MX Sports was about the 2018 AMA Amateur National alone; we do not want to set an overall precedence before we know the facts and capability and trajectory of these models. There is no pressure from any OEM (including Alta). It's just very early in the process of the evolution of these new dirt bikes, and no one wants to get it wrong moving forward.

DC
Racer X
@DC,

Can I ask you why the AMA/FIM/MX Sports haven't considered changing the displacement limits for the OEMs? It would be perfectly reasonable to set the 4-stroke displacement limits for SX & MX for the 2024 season to 350cc and 200cc ? That would give the OEMs 5 years to prepare their production machines to be ready. As technology improves, those smaller displacement bikes will be just as quick as today's bikes. Lighter 4-strokes with less torque will improve safety somewhat as well. The manufacturers won't need to develop 150/250cc 2-strokes much further to keep them relevant at those displacements too. This current generation of 450cc bikes and racers would be remembered in history like we remember the past 500cc champions.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
4/1/2018 8:11am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2018 8:16am
Whether the bike is good enough or not, Honda (primarily, and the other Big 4) pays MXSports bills, and they obviously said no. It’s naive to think that their reach does not go beyond Pro racing.
Betuel
4/1/2018 8:12am
Who else stands to suffer if e-bikes take off like the 4t’s did? Aftermarket companies like FMF, Vertex Pistons, etc. I feel bad for them but do we stop progression because of or for them?
Spizzy
4/1/2018 8:29am
Bearuno wrote:
Sell it to yourself - you seem to be the only one that thinks Anyone here has thought of Alta 'spanking' the 'big five'. Largely /...
Sell it to yourself - you seem to be the only one that thinks Anyone here has thought of Alta 'spanking' the 'big five'.

Largely / Basically, people are incredulous that DC and Co have decided that in their big showpiece race, they have chosen to ignore a fair rule that covers every other AMA Amateur race event.

It's a decision that very much undermines DC's / MX Sports ( or whatever company name Loretta's runs under) image and reputation, for quite a few people.

But, you are right in that it has given Alta a fair bit more publicity than if DC and Co had allowed the Bikes into 'their' race. All while creating a shedload of negative publicity for the organisers of Loretta's.
leighracer wrote:
Umm? Yeah? If you read through the thread there's a crap ton of people claiming some nefarious motive behind this decision. Mostly centered around the idea...
Umm? Yeah? If you read through the thread there's a crap ton of people claiming some nefarious motive behind this decision. Mostly centered around the idea that DCSports is $omehow being influenced by other manufacturers in choosing this direction, because you know, they're afraid of being left behind by the threat of new and exciting technology that they can't respond to. It's laughable.
Nefarious motive? You bet there is. An easy example is the Honda 150R, that for many years Honda tried to get legalized in the AMA 85 classes. When their continued attempts failed, they found a backdoor way to make the bike relevant by $omehow getting DC Sports to approve of it.
Spizzy
4/1/2018 8:33am
MohMoto14 wrote:
Its the same AMA almost all of us have been throwing our money at all of our lives like its the snake oil cure for cancer...
Its the same AMA almost all of us have been throwing our money at all of our lives like its the snake oil cure for cancer. Did we actually expect to see them do something productive with it thats beneficial to us now? Every thing they say and do is contradicting and even in their long seemingly thought out answer for it they fail to say what they're really doing which is nothing. They make a quick choice that benefits their real plan which is sitting on their hands and not doing their job.

Their excuse is they don't want to make the same mistake that they fail to point out they are still doing nothing about. They admit they half assed it with the 4 strokes. They made a rule while admittedly being ignorant and without testing. Apparently they can exempt a rule but can not amend it as things evolve, couldn't say 450cc is to much and give manufacturers a few years grace period to knock 100cc off? No one ran off after the production rule so why would reducing displacement with time to adjust do it? Or just increase the 2 strokes to match? Stupid!

To hear him talking about quiet and clean vs loud and dirty made me laugh pretty hard. They said 4 strokes would benefit us BC they're cleaner. Instead prices went up, tracks closed and my ama district disappeared. They couldn't care less about any of that environmental stuff. They want money for doing nothing. Surprised the people who are making the decisions for us are just now deciding they might want to try riding one of these electric bikes? Think borrowing a last years model will give him the best picture of what the unknown advancements might be on technology rapidly advancing? I'm certainly not claiming to be a genius or even know what I'm talking about but they must have skipped the day they taught scientific method in high school.

Sorry for the rant and venting, ive always seen it like this and i don't really know why were discussing it. They don't care what you think, they don't care about what we would like to see happen and it surely won't be considered when they do vote. Bend over and take it, your just along for the ride.
This pisses me off too. Too many people dont recognize the difference between AMA and MXSports, and it seems all too often whether in pro or amateur racing, the AMA gets blamed for MXSports issues.
What a sweet deal they have, whenever they screw up, the AMA takes the blame.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
4/1/2018 2:46pm
DC wrote:
ns503 wrote, They likely aren't basing this decision on the Alta - more likely, what might be coming after that. So if they open the E...
ns503 wrote, They likely aren't basing this decision on the Alta - more likely, what might be coming after that. So if they open the E bike door now, it might be hard to close when one comes along that has way more power. Or whatever.

This is a good point, thank you. It's not about what the current Alta can do -- it is my personal opinion after riding the '17 Redshift more that it that it would be a challenge in the ruts and braking situations of Loretta Lynn's, as well as the loose dirt (if you follow track prep) but it's still as fun as can be, and surprisingly fast -- but what the next models will do. There is no Alta race team at this time; there is no groundswell of entries for Loretta Lynn's (I think there has been one so far in '18) but they are likely coming for all eBike offerings.

Again, please understand that everyone wants to get this right, and the AMA and MX Sports will monitor their performance in races all over the country. This decision by MX Sports was about the 2018 AMA Amateur National alone; we do not want to set an overall precedence before we know the facts and capability and trajectory of these models. There is no pressure from any OEM (including Alta). It's just very early in the process of the evolution of these new dirt bikes, and no one wants to get it wrong moving forward.

DC
Racer X
What's the possibility of adding a class next year that is truly an anything class?
Set a minimum weight limit for the bike, 30+ old riders and allow elect or ICE.
Likely that age are the only ones who can afford them at this point.
On the local level they can combine those folks with other classes as they see fit to fill
a gate for racing. Billed as an experiment see what takers you get for next year?
It's more realistic to refine your guidelines after you actually have data watching races.
TM
Betuel
4/1/2018 3:00pm
Who is LL’s sponsored by?
The Rocky Mountain ATV/MC AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship presented by Lucas Oil at Loretta Lynn Ranch.
Either e-bikes are killed off or companies making products associated with mx/sx will be by the e-bike. Engine components, exhausts, oils, etc.
And then there go the major sponsors for these series.
gnarwhip
4/1/2018 6:33pm
When does the Alta 110 pit bike come out? Every backyard in suburbia would have a 110 track if they made one. That's where the real money is.
OldYZRider1
4/1/2018 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2018 8:26pm
Betuel wrote:
Who is LL’s sponsored by? The Rocky Mountain ATV/MC AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship presented by [b]Lucas Oil[/b] at Loretta Lynn Ranch. Either e-bikes are killed...
Who is LL’s sponsored by?
The Rocky Mountain ATV/MC AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship presented by Lucas Oil at Loretta Lynn Ranch.
Either e-bikes are killed off or companies making products associated with mx/sx will be by the e-bike. Engine components, exhausts, oils, etc.
And then there go the major sponsors for these series.
The bikes will still require chain, sprockets, grips, tires, brakes, suspension just as IC bikes do. Some lubricants will still be needed for the electrics too as well as cleaners. Only the engine oil and fuel petroleum usage reduces.

Lithium is a mined product so what about CAT or Komatsu as sponsors? You get to actually see earthmoving machines in action at every MX/SX race so maybe there's more potential for corporate sponsoship there. Tesla and Panasonic are together in the large EV vehicle battery market so maybe they'll step in. Sponsorship dollars from the electical suppliers such as Siemens or Schneider could be absolutely huge. Who knows what other niche products will appear for the electric bikes. It may be like the 1970's when many different small suppliers developed products for the niche MX market and sponsored riders. That was a really neat time in MX.

Things will change but it may not be all doom and gloom. Pro Circuit was proactive when the switch to the four strokes occurred and hired a four stroke engine cylinder head guru and the team didn't appear to miss a beat. Maybe he's already got a electrical engineer onboard designing a Pro Circuit motor controller made of titanium with a carbon fiber cover or something Smile .
TeamGreen
4/1/2018 8:09pm
Ted722 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/01/253136/s1200_Screenshot_2018_04_01_at_7.26.55_PM.jpg[/img]

Didn't Earl believe in Magic Bullets?
Ted722
4/1/2018 9:28pm
Ted722 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/01/253136/s1200_Screenshot_2018_04_01_at_7.26.55_PM.jpg[/img]

TeamGreen wrote:
Didn't Earl believe in Magic Bullets?
Maybe that's it. Alta's been taken out by a magic bullet.
DC
4/2/2018 3:43pm
Look, I have been pilloried here over this decision to wait until at least 2019 to figure out where the Alta belongs in national-level amateur competition. Our position in not allowing it to compete is about ONE racing program: the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship finals at Loretta Lynn's and it's qualifying process, which is already underway. They can race all of our other amateur events, and all over AMA amateur events, unless otherwise noted. Loretta Lynn's is a national championship, not an exhibition race. The people who work all year to make it there and participate deserve to know who and what they are racing against. And it has nothing to do with sponsorship of Loretta Lynn's, arguments against by other OEMs -- they were all in the same meeting Alta was in last month about the American Motocross Championships (all the big races) in California.

Alta contacted the AMA and myself (through Dave Arnold) to discuss homologation for AMA Supercross. After a lot of discussion the decision was made by the AMA not to homologate it at this time for SX because they wanted more data, and Alta seemed focused on being in the 250 Class. They also requested it be approved for Arenacross, and the same decision was made there. As I understand it, it never got to the point of Alta submitting a formal homologation application to the AMA. If they had, they would have that one year like Yamaha and other OEMs had to race prototypes, if it was accepted. But this is not a 125, a 250, a 350, or a 450, or an Open cc displacement motorcycle. It's an electric bike. It doesn't fit in yet because there is no electric bike class. and no one can pinpoint where it belongs at this time (and the evolution is going to be quick and substantial).

So the AMA has made the decision to let eBikes run in non-displacement classes until such time that they can use the race data and other information to determine where they should live. "Open" is a reference to engine displacement, not wattage or voltage or even prototype. The AMA's open displacement classes in amateur racing do not require homologation to compete, only the limited classes do. And again, Loretta Lynn's is a national championship, not an exhibition race/laboratory.

Everyone continues to keep an open mind while we try and do our due diligence before making any decision on the future about what class along with 2-stroke and 4-strokes this bike belongs in. But the bottom line is simple: At this time, the Alta is not homologated for AMA competition.

No one banned it, as Alta is saying on their social media. They never actually did the paperwork to homologate it. We are trying to make room for it to get data and info and also give Alta riders a place to race. For 2018, it can ride most places, except for the one race that requires homologation, Loretta Lynn's. If they decide to try to use their homologation now, it will not be as a 250, as Alta seems to want, and maybe not even a 450, and that's just part of the impasse (but it is the biggest part). Everyone--including Alta--wants to get this right.

Please just relax and let this take shape. We rushed it in 1996 with the four-strokes. That didn't work out quite the way anyone expected, so please understand our reluctance to once again rush a decision on new technology.

Flame away (or electrocute away).

DC
Racer X

Bry145
4/2/2018 3:55pm
I think a reason for concern could be Alta getting a hired gun to win a Vet class, resulting in a PR bonanza.

I think a compromise could be adding a full size electric bike class to the program. See how that works and check lap times at LL compared to other classes. Take away a womens' class or a limited class to make room.

We have to ask ourselves if we want an electric future or a two-stroke future. If we continue to ride/race four-strokes the sport will downsize wholesale starting in 2025 due to generational turnover and cost.

Show me a 10K electric bike that doesn't need gas/oil/pistons/clutches/exhausts and sign me up.

Show me an 8K badass 125 or 250 2-stroke that I can work on myself and sign me up.

Show me a 10K 250F or 12K 450F that costs thousands a year to run, and I run away from MX for good!

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/2/2018 4:02pm
DC wrote:
Look, I have been pilloried here over this decision to wait until at least 2019 to figure out where the Alta belongs in national-level amateur competition...
Look, I have been pilloried here over this decision to wait until at least 2019 to figure out where the Alta belongs in national-level amateur competition. Our position in not allowing it to compete is about ONE racing program: the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship finals at Loretta Lynn's and it's qualifying process, which is already underway. They can race all of our other amateur events, and all over AMA amateur events, unless otherwise noted. Loretta Lynn's is a national championship, not an exhibition race. The people who work all year to make it there and participate deserve to know who and what they are racing against. And it has nothing to do with sponsorship of Loretta Lynn's, arguments against by other OEMs -- they were all in the same meeting Alta was in last month about the American Motocross Championships (all the big races) in California.

Alta contacted the AMA and myself (through Dave Arnold) to discuss homologation for AMA Supercross. After a lot of discussion the decision was made by the AMA not to homologate it at this time for SX because they wanted more data, and Alta seemed focused on being in the 250 Class. They also requested it be approved for Arenacross, and the same decision was made there. As I understand it, it never got to the point of Alta submitting a formal homologation application to the AMA. If they had, they would have that one year like Yamaha and other OEMs had to race prototypes, if it was accepted. But this is not a 125, a 250, a 350, or a 450, or an Open cc displacement motorcycle. It's an electric bike. It doesn't fit in yet because there is no electric bike class. and no one can pinpoint where it belongs at this time (and the evolution is going to be quick and substantial).

So the AMA has made the decision to let eBikes run in non-displacement classes until such time that they can use the race data and other information to determine where they should live. "Open" is a reference to engine displacement, not wattage or voltage or even prototype. The AMA's open displacement classes in amateur racing do not require homologation to compete, only the limited classes do. And again, Loretta Lynn's is a national championship, not an exhibition race/laboratory.

Everyone continues to keep an open mind while we try and do our due diligence before making any decision on the future about what class along with 2-stroke and 4-strokes this bike belongs in. But the bottom line is simple: At this time, the Alta is not homologated for AMA competition.

No one banned it, as Alta is saying on their social media. They never actually did the paperwork to homologate it. We are trying to make room for it to get data and info and also give Alta riders a place to race. For 2018, it can ride most places, except for the one race that requires homologation, Loretta Lynn's. If they decide to try to use their homologation now, it will not be as a 250, as Alta seems to want, and maybe not even a 450, and that's just part of the impasse (but it is the biggest part). Everyone--including Alta--wants to get this right.

Please just relax and let this take shape. We rushed it in 1996 with the four-strokes. That didn't work out quite the way anyone expected, so please understand our reluctance to once again rush a decision on new technology.

Flame away (or electrocute away).

DC
Racer X

So is there anything in the works to correct the 1996 decision with four-strokes that you note all agree isn't correct?
Bry145
4/2/2018 4:08pm
yak651 wrote:
So is there anything in the works to correct the 1996 decision with four-strokes that you note all agree isn't correct?
People buying two-strokes and e-bikes will eventually correct the 1996 four-stroke decision.

Also, people quitting the sport due to the costs/speeds/injuries of four-strokes will correct the 1996 decision, in that the sport cannot survive without participants and their disposable income.

10000hrs
4/2/2018 4:11pm
can someone post a dyno curve of an Alta?

Perhaps a 250 and 450 mx curve as well?
Spizzy
4/2/2018 4:14pm
"Loretta Lynns is a national championship, not an exhibition race."

Yet theres how many different C classes?
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/2/2018 4:20pm
Spizzy wrote:

Almost as good as:
"The people who work all year to make it there and participate deserve to know who and what they are racing against" when previously stated that it can be ran at all other races. Wouldn't they know what they are up against during those races? I guess now that we have all the training facilities and a lot of the guys only race the qualifies/regionals and LL, they wouldn't know what else is going on in local mx...but again that would be another topic on why local races are dying and the only big turn outs are for those events...
Indy mxer
4/2/2018 4:35pm
Research and data? blah, blah, blah. This is motocross for gods sake. And it's a legit mx bike.

Our sport is 80% rider anyway. So if I go to LL's and run 450 or open class, and get beat by an Alta, so be it. That rider was faster than me. And if his bike helped him do that, props to him.

Hell, if you think they're too fast for the 250 class, let them run 450 and see what happens. There's your research, right before your eyes at the ranch.

Imo, if this was KTM or Honda with an electric bike, they'd be there. Alta is upsetting the status quo, and the powers that be don't like it. Plain and simple.

This a typical David and Goliath.

Btw, full disclosure.
My brother owns a multi line OEM dealership where I buy all my bikes, parts and gear.
They've been in business since 1974. My oldest son is a manager there. So i don't take this argument lightly.

Although I would like to see him selling Alta's. I'd get rid of my 450 Kawi and but one.
Indy mxer
4/2/2018 4:47pm
Spizzy wrote:

yak651 wrote:
Almost as good as: "The people who work all year to make it there and participate deserve to know who and what they are racing against"...
Almost as good as:
"The people who work all year to make it there and participate deserve to know who and what they are racing against" when previously stated that it can be ran at all other races. Wouldn't they know what they are up against during those races? I guess now that we have all the training facilities and a lot of the guys only race the qualifies/regionals and LL, they wouldn't know what else is going on in local mx...but again that would be another topic on why local races are dying and the only big turn outs are for those events...
2 great points. Never could figure out the National C class champion thing.

So was DC saying that since you can race an Alta at local races that they're exhibitions? I'm just not sure what he meant by that.
twotwosix
4/2/2018 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 4:52pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Research and data? blah, blah, blah. This is motocross for gods sake. And it's a legit mx bike. Our sport is 80% rider anyway. So if...
Research and data? blah, blah, blah. This is motocross for gods sake. And it's a legit mx bike.

Our sport is 80% rider anyway. So if I go to LL's and run 450 or open class, and get beat by an Alta, so be it. That rider was faster than me. And if his bike helped him do that, props to him.

Hell, if you think they're too fast for the 250 class, let them run 450 and see what happens. There's your research, right before your eyes at the ranch.

Imo, if this was KTM or Honda with an electric bike, they'd be there. Alta is upsetting the status quo, and the powers that be don't like it. Plain and simple.

This a typical David and Goliath.

Btw, full disclosure.
My brother owns a multi line OEM dealership where I buy all my bikes, parts and gear.
They've been in business since 1974. My oldest son is a manager there. So i don't take this argument lightly.

Although I would like to see him selling Alta's. I'd get rid of my 450 Kawi and but one.
"Hell, if you think they're too fast for the 250 class, let them run 450 and see what happens. There's your research, right before your eyes at the ranch."

-By your logic, that puts them into the 450 class and sets the standard. If that is the wrong standard, they F'd up. Again. This is the proper way to go about it. As DC said, there isn't a single team who wants to race the Alta at LL yet, so taking the year to decide on rules is a fine idea.

"Imo, if this was KTM or Honda with an electric bike, they'd be there. Alta is upsetting the status quo, and the powers that be don't like it. Plain and simple."

-Imo, you are incorrect.
Bry145
4/2/2018 5:16pm
E-bikes have the potential to completely change the dynamic in the motocross industry. Thus, they must be closely regulated to protect the stakeholders.

Capitalism is based on consumption. Stop the consumption of oils/clutches/pistons/exhausts/engine work/ect. and many motocross businesses will not survive. Take sales away from the OEMs and they may pull out of motocross and Supercross. This would hurt the financial stakeholders in the industry.

Post a reply to: MX Sports & Electric Motorcycles

The Latest