MX Sports Pro Racing Apologizes for Releasing Confirmation of Herlings' Participation at Ironman National - Now it's unclear if he's racing

ML512
Fantasy
45th
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 3:36pm
Well shucks....

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. (August 23, 2017) - Due to an internal error while we were traveling to the Ironman National in Crawfordsville, Indiana, MX Sports Pro Racing mistakenly released a draft of a press release involving multi-time FIM World Champion Jeffrey Herlings' possible participation in this weekend's final round of Lucas Oil Pro Motocross. Herlings has not actually entered the event and has only begun testing the bike he would have to ride, should he choose to participate in the AMA Pro Racing-sanctioned event; AMA Pro Racing and the FIM-sanctioned MXGP have different rules and regulations, and Herlings would not be able to use his usual race bike for this event.

"We totally jumped the starting gate on crafting a press release, and I take full responsibility for any confusion this may have caused," said MX Sports Pro Racing's Davey Coombs. "I apologize for the error and hope that Jeffrey enjoys his time here in America as he prepares for the main reason he and his team are here, which is next weekend's MXGP of the USA in Florida."
|
keinz
8/23/2017 9:26am
WTF
jeffro503
8/23/2017 9:32am
Well shit!!

BUT....if he digs the bike , hopefully he does the race at Ironman.
Money
8/23/2017 9:35am
Mxsports trying to get the ticket sales up

The Shop

Motofinne
8/23/2017 9:35am
And before someone that has no clue about the differences between the bikes in GPs vs USA comes in and says it's the same bike i have to point out that no one knows what Herlings has been on this year.

Who knows what frame he has raced this season.

It makes 100% sense that he tests the US/production spec bike before racing it.
jeffro503
8/23/2017 9:37am
Motofinne wrote:
And before someone that has no clue about the differences between the bikes in GPs vs USA comes in and says it's the same bike i...
And before someone that has no clue about the differences between the bikes in GPs vs USA comes in and says it's the same bike i have to point out that no one knows what Herlings has been on this year.

There is a difference for sure. Don't think may will argue that. Hopefully he can gel with it and race it.
Superdave19
8/23/2017 9:40am
The Bullet better be at the gate, or else I'm changing his nickname to 'The Pellet'-

Motofinne
8/23/2017 9:43am
Motofinne wrote:
And before someone that has no clue about the differences between the bikes in GPs vs USA comes in and says it's the same bike i...

jeffro503 wrote:
There is a difference for sure. Don't think may will argue that. Hopefully he can gel with it and race it.
Well he could be on the 2018 FE/2019 frame or a pre production version of it. If that is the case, the difference is probably really big.

I think there are a lot of people that don't understand the GP rules.
8/23/2017 9:54am
DC upon realizing the error:

Coombs, I know you're reading this. Your journalistic integrity is off the charts, IMO. We're all human and sometimes, shit happens. Don't beat yourself up over this too bad.
philG
8/23/2017 9:54am
Well if it doesnt happen, its a shame, im guessing he didnt land in Florida till late Monday, a day to chill , if he shipped a practice bike to the Bakers Factory, in prep, he wont be able to race it, so im guessing plans have had to be made real quick. Or they already had a plan on the backburner .
Question
8/23/2017 10:06am
DC is one of the biggest fan the sport has seen, no issue in "jumping the gate" lol and getting super excited by Herling's potential venue.
newmann
8/23/2017 10:07am
Get ready DC, we're coming for you....Laughing

8/23/2017 10:10am
Motofinne wrote:
Well he could be on the 2018 FE/2019 frame or a pre production version of it. If that is the case, the difference is probably really...
Well he could be on the 2018 FE/2019 frame or a pre production version of it. If that is the case, the difference is probably really big.

MXGP allows full prototypes, so Herlings could be on a one-off frame customized to his long/tall body dimensions. Jasikonis could be too. (That is, their frames don't necessarily conform to 2017/18/19 at all.)

Pro cyclists do that sometimes -- they get custom frames with relative tube lengths that you and I can't buy. Hell, in 2010, the HTC-Columbia team rode the Scott Foil frame, and that was a prototype that wasn't commercially available at all at the time.

TXDirt
8/23/2017 10:10am
Might have been a good idea to wait until he actually signed up for the event!
Motofinne
8/23/2017 10:12am
Motofinne wrote:
Well he could be on the 2018 FE/2019 frame or a pre production version of it. If that is the case, the difference is probably really...

MXGP allows full prototypes, so Herlings could be on a one-off frame customized to his long/tall body dimensions. Jasikonis could be too. (That is, their frames...
MXGP allows full prototypes, so Herlings could be on a one-off frame customized to his long/tall body dimensions. Jasikonis could be too. (That is, their frames don't necessarily conform to 2017/18/19 at all.)

Pro cyclists do that sometimes -- they get custom frames with relative tube lengths that you and I can't buy. Hell, in 2010, the HTC-Columbia team rode the Scott Foil frame, and that was a prototype that wasn't commercially available at all at the time.

Exactly, that is why i posted my first post in this thread. Because there will be someone that says that Herlings is a pussy and the bikes are the same.
RandyS
8/23/2017 10:21am
It should have been kept quiet by all involved, now if he doesn't race it will look bad for everyone. Imagine the buzz if on Friday morning it was announced that JH84 was racing. That's enough time to pull a ton of extra spectators from the Midwest.
Motofinne
8/23/2017 10:23am
RandyS wrote:
It should have been kept quiet by all involved, now if he doesn't race it will look bad for everyone. Imagine the buzz if on Friday...
It should have been kept quiet by all involved, now if he doesn't race it will look bad for everyone. Imagine the buzz if on Friday morning it was announced that JH84 was racing. That's enough time to pull a ton of extra spectators from the Midwest.
Yeah MX Sports screwed up here.

I hope Herlings feels comfortable on the production bike and races, it will be awesome.
8/23/2017 10:29am
Motofinne wrote:
Exactly, that is why i posted my first post in this thread. Because there will be someone that says that Herlings is a pussy and the...
Exactly, that is why i posted my first post in this thread. Because there will be someone that says that Herlings is a pussy and the bikes are the same.
No shortage of simple thinkers here. Some people seem to think their "USA Dream Team" for the MXoN would include Roczen and Musquin. (And maybe Ferrandis in MX2.)
8/23/2017 10:32am
RandyS wrote:
It should have been kept quiet by all involved, now if he doesn't race it will look bad for everyone. Imagine the buzz if on Friday...
For what it's worth, I've always noticed that Racer-X usually doesn't try to be the first to break a big story... Always seems like they do plenty of fact checking and verifying before it ever gets posted their site. Sometimes there will be a thread on here over 5 pages deep about some breaking news, but still not posted on Racer-X. Unlike other media outlets in the sport *cough*MXA*cough*

DC knows the ropes of this game. Like I said, we're all human. Pretty rare for DC to have to wipe egg from his face..
F.B
8/23/2017 10:38am
Money wrote:
Mxsports trying to get the ticket sales up
8/23/2017 10:40am
I'm confused.

It was possibly on, then it was definitely on and now it's possibly on again. Or is it possibly off?
8/23/2017 10:42am
I'm confused.

It was possibly on, then it was definitely on and now it's possibly on again. Or is it possibly off?
As Noel once told us, "Definitely Maybe."
RandyS
8/23/2017 10:44am
I'm confused.

It's possibly not off. But maybe not.
mauidex
8/23/2017 10:46am
good...........now JS7 can sneak in under the radar to get his 25 points and keep his number!!LaughingLaughingWoohooWoohoo
peelout
8/23/2017 10:46am
yo DC, you owe me a case of beer coozies over this fiasco. i demand retribution.
8/23/2017 10:58am
I hope he doesn't race Ironman. I want him rested, ready and HEALTHY for WW. Selfish, I know, but come to WW if you want to see JH84 rippin'!
8/23/2017 11:03am
jamma10 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/23/211129/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_08_23_at_17.59.26.jpg[/img]

I wonder how he is enjoying our humidity - assuming he's in Florida. Cuz let me tell you all something, It is a MASSIVE sweat-ex out there today.

Post a reply to: MX Sports Pro Racing Apologizes for Releasing Confirmation of Herlings' Participation at Ironman National - Now it's unclear if he's racing

The Latest