MX Sports Bans Electric Bikes

bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
11/8/2018 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 10:32am
As we observed this past year, ALTA’S e-bike was not allowed to complete in in certain events this past season (link below). Additionally, it seems like no one is interested to working with Alta in order to help integrate into the “system” (just my opinion which no one cares about).

Anyway, KTM just released their e 50 which is “designed to mimic the 50cc mini ”. If this is the case will they be allowed to compete in events like LL. I feel like KTM plans to release a mini just to get their foot in the door then in a year or so they will show up to A1 with a big bike and expect everyone to bend the rules for them.

Regardless will anyone say anything if someone tries to show up at a amateur national and race one?

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/electric-motorcycles-still-banned…
|
mxnick
11/8/2018 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2018 6:28pm
The article was written last April and was discussed here at length.

Now it's Novemeber and Alta is gone and out of business. How are you supposed to have a discussion with an OEM that is out of business?

The new KTM and husky electric bikes are just that - brand new. Lets see what 2019 season brings as I don't think these bikes were common knowledge prior to this week.
500guy
11/8/2018 6:05pm
what about hydrogen bikes are they banned too ?
bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
11/8/2018 6:16pm
Well mxnick, thanks for your input. The discussions about ALTA was based on the trends of last year and was used as a preface to the body of the topic which discussed KTMs new release and how their products will be integrated into the system.

I’m personally more curious to see how MX Sports works with KTM and how quickly the “rule book” changes now that the BIG oem have a offering.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
11/8/2018 8:07pm
Actually, two if you count Husky’s model.

My guess is that it gets addressed some time in the future.

Maybe they learned something from when four-strokes came in and took over the sport, and they don’t want to make moves now that have unintended consequences to the sport in the future?

The Shop

Jarrod458
11/9/2018 3:10am
Yes. Electric bikes are not allowed to compete at LL. (Per mxsports) Seems like KTM should have checked first, As with Alta before they spent millions on manufacturing an electric bike. Really bad news for Ktm and husky 50 e bike... Guess it will be back yard only for them too. ?‍♂️
PRM31
11/9/2018 3:15am
I suspect the percentage of 50cc bike sales impacted by not being able to race LL in minuscule.
JustMX
11/9/2018 4:51am
GuyB wrote:
Actually, two if you count Husky’s model. My guess is that it gets addressed some time in the future. Maybe they learned something from when four-strokes...

Maybe they learned something from when four-strokes came in and took over the sport, and they don’t want to make moves now that have unintended consequences to the sport in the future?
I think a better comparison as far as the 50cc classes would be the fiasco that happened when the cobra and lem bikes made their first appearance at LL.

If mx sports' goal is to keep something like that from happening then kudos to them.

Research and testing need to be done to eliminate the chance that these machines can be modified to be faster than current models, which are already way too fast for entry level riders.
11/9/2018 5:10am
500guy wrote:
what about hydrogen bikes are they banned too ?
Well they are the future. Just know they work
Frank
11/9/2018 5:16am
There were rumors of a electric mini class at LL for 2019 or 2020.
An electric only class makes the most sense. Same with the alta and the other larger electric bikes when they are available.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/9/2018 6:10am
JustMX wrote:
I think a better comparison as far as the 50cc classes would be the fiasco that happened when the cobra and lem bikes made their first...
I think a better comparison as far as the 50cc classes would be the fiasco that happened when the cobra and lem bikes made their first appearance at LL.

If mx sports' goal is to keep something like that from happening then kudos to them.

Research and testing need to be done to eliminate the chance that these machines can be modified to be faster than current models, which are already way too fast for entry level riders.
can you expand on the Cobra LEM part. I wasn't around back then so I'm curious.
motogrady
11/9/2018 6:10am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 6:11am
To those disappointed in the lack of acceptance, remember, anyone can start a series. And call it just about anything they want.

4 guys from 4 locations around the nation, get together, each rent a track for a day in their local area. Schedule the races a month apart. Call it The Electric Motocross National Championships. Nobody else is using that term that I know of.

Poof. It might be small. It might be kinda bush league.

But, you'd be the first.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
11/9/2018 6:45am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 6:48am
GuyB wrote:
Actually, two if you count Husky’s model. My guess is that it gets addressed some time in the future. Maybe they learned something from when four-strokes...

That would be my guess, and I am in agreement with this decision to take it slow
However Imo they should make them a Separate class where they race only electric, even at lorretta's
Imo they should just create an electric class anywhere they want to run them including Local
Rather than try to mix them together.

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
11/9/2018 10:24am
There were rumors of a electric mini class at LL for 2019 or 2020.
Frank wrote:
An electric only class makes the most sense. Same with the alta and the other larger electric bikes when they are available.
This.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
11/9/2018 10:32am
JustMX wrote:
I think a better comparison as far as the 50cc classes would be the fiasco that happened when the cobra and lem bikes made their first...

When Cobra showed up to the party, everyone was racing PW50's and JR50's. The Cobra was/is a purpose built race bike. It was like everyone was seeing how many phone books a .223 could go through and someone shows up with a .50 cal. Party over.
JustMX
11/9/2018 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 5:45pm
JustMX wrote:

It was a lot of things, and I am going off memory which occasionally fails me on details.

There were several controversies.

One of them was the cobra's homolgation and if they actually had produced the units required or just the paperwork to make it look like it. Nobody could find any machines to buy even though there were claims of enough being produced to meet whatever the minimum was back then. I am thinking it was 500 units.

There was a protest on a top finishing lem based on the overall length. The problem is there was no clear definition of overall length. If it was measured from the back of the rear tire to the leading edge of the front tire the measurement was within guidelines. The problem is that the fenders both stuck out past the tires and that exceeded the maximum. Further complicating it was that it was in a stock class where trimming the fenders would have been another questionable move. After it was all done the protest was over ruled and results stood.

The best thing about all of it was that James stewart who I think was 7, and in his last 50cc race used his amazing skills to win on a pw 50 against machines that were so much faster than his. It was something to see.
Johnny Depp
11/9/2018 8:24pm
GuyB wrote:

Hopefully what they learned is restricting competition to 1 type of engine is a really bad idea.
KDXGarage
11/9/2018 11:04pm
Feld and MX Sports are waiting on a go ahead from Honda. :-)
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/10/2018 4:55am
JustMX wrote:
It was a lot of things, and I am going off memory which occasionally fails me on details. There were several controversies. One of them was...
It was a lot of things, and I am going off memory which occasionally fails me on details.

There were several controversies.

One of them was the cobra's homolgation and if they actually had produced the units required or just the paperwork to make it look like it. Nobody could find any machines to buy even though there were claims of enough being produced to meet whatever the minimum was back then. I am thinking it was 500 units.

There was a protest on a top finishing lem based on the overall length. The problem is there was no clear definition of overall length. If it was measured from the back of the rear tire to the leading edge of the front tire the measurement was within guidelines. The problem is that the fenders both stuck out past the tires and that exceeded the maximum. Further complicating it was that it was in a stock class where trimming the fenders would have been another questionable move. After it was all done the protest was over ruled and results stood.

The best thing about all of it was that James stewart who I think was 7, and in his last 50cc race used his amazing skills to win on a pw 50 against machines that were so much faster than his. It was something to see.
Thanks for the insight.
kage173
11/10/2018 6:04am
Does everything have to be about Lorettas? These bikes are for 6 yr olds. Can we just let them develop a passion for the sport? Can the just ride a local track?
tcallahan707
11/10/2018 6:34am
GuyB wrote:

There are going to be unintended consequences no matter what decision is made and when. It’s simply evolution and humans like to squeeze the brakes whenever things change outside of their increasing tiny comfort zones.

Let them race. Track the results closely. Make good decisions, repeatedly.
11/10/2018 8:16am
Me 20’years from now:

Back in my day you could a rebuild on a 4 stroke for $1800. NOW YOU GOTTABUY A REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR $7,000. It’s killin the sport I say! It’s why we got 23 rider turn outs!

Post a reply to: MX Sports Bans Electric Bikes

The Latest