MX ROAD TRIP TO SO CAL. BEST TRACKS?

bennytree
We are doing a road trip to So CAL in a few weeks to hit a few tracks. What are the best ones to ride?
I am an average rider. We will also have a few 85cc bikes riding w us so a decent Vet/Pee Wee track is a must.
We will ride 3 days.
These are the tracks we are thinking of hitting. Thanks!

Comp Edge: Tues, Sat
Milestone: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri
Pala: Mon, Tues, Fri
Cahuilla: Wed
Glen Helen: Thurs, Sat
Perris: Tues, Wed, Thurs
Lake Elsinore: Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat

Also, here is a video I made so you can see my skill level for the best type of So Cal tracks for us visit. (This video is a track I ride quite a bit, FYI)

https://youtu.be/YVNdQqhxarM
|
loftyair
1/10/2018 2:33pm
OK, heres IMO.
Comp, could be a bit windy, not ideal for less experienced. Still fun.
Milestone, excellent for all.
Pala, great for more advanced, ok otherwise.
Glen Helen best if you're in shape, a Mans track.
Perris, fun...I personally really like, but nothing special.
Lake Elsinore, ok, just not great dirt. I like, most don't. Gets slimy, then hard and rutted.
1/10/2018 3:00pm
I went last year and comp edge is more for the advanced rider aka big jumps. Vet track is meh.

Pals has a good vet track and a mini track a pro track and one other one I didn't ride.

Milestone will be fun best on a week day.

Perris is fun but over watered at first so was comp edge on the water part.

Lacr was a lot of fun I think I enjoyed it the most.

JohnMatrix
1/10/2018 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2018 3:24pm
I'd give the same input for comp edge. Vet track is just mediocre and the big track is nice but it's a tough one. There's a lot of blind obstacles and you could spend majority of the day learning the track. I rode it a few laps and realized some of it was over my head.

LACR is awesome. I just rode the new vet track layout and it's good. I liked the previous layout a bit more but it's still great. The track holds up well and is a lot of fun. I would definitely make sure LACR is on your list, probably in place of comp edge. Oh and LACR's pee wee track looks pretty damn sick.

My friends rave about Zaca but I haven't ridden it yet.

The Shop

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
1/10/2018 3:36pm
This question outto be a sticky.

Don't forget Zaca: Wed, Sat, Sun
anniebertmojo
1/10/2018 4:12pm
If you want to race, have fun and be rolling home by 2pm and at In-N-Out by 2;30pm eating lunch... REM Saturday at Glen Helen. Old school moto. No major do or die jumps, hills, rough and fun at the REM track. You'll also meet a lot of great people being young, old and in the middle.

Also somebody lately has been bringing a hot dog machine and leaving it at sign up for free hot dogs too. They disappear quick lol..
1/10/2018 10:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2018 11:31pm
Do Milestone on Day 1. It's the easiest track and offers the most variety for everyone. It's a great warmup.

Day 2 you should hit Perris. More "motocross" than Milestone. Something for everyone on the main track. Best dirt in SoCal if you ask me.

Day 3 go to Cahuilla. The main track is fun for all skill levels. It's "real" motocross and while I find it fun/easy to ride, you can make it as difficult as you want. Just go faster. It'll challenge you.

I put them in order of easiest to hardest. None of them what I'd consider "hard" tracks. Glen Helen is a beast. Ive never been good enough to enjoy myself there. That's not to say it aint a GREAT track. It's the greatest... Im just not fast enough to make the most of the experience. Every lap feels like "survival". It didnt help that I was going on "pro days". The track is gnarliest then. Someone can correct me if Im wrong but that used to be Thursdays.

Pala has a GREAT vet track. Always well prepped. But so are al the tracks in SoCal. It's also a pretty far drive. The main track is harder than Cahuilla and easier than Glen Helen. Just my opinion. Great facility but for my buck, if Im driving that far out of the way, Im going to Cahuilla every damn time.

Comp Edge is a great facility. The wind can be a bitch. So being that it's a vacation, I wouldnt take the risk. It's got a good Vet track and the Main track has a bit for everyone. But as said before, lotsa blind jumps. Very cool if you’re into that, scary if you’re not. Nothing against Comp Edge I'd just rather hit the 3 I suggested if given the choice and your circumstances.

side note: LACR looks awesome. Ive never been but everyone seems to love it. So there's that.
dirtmike86
1/10/2018 10:29pm
Do Milestone on Day 1. It's the easiest track and offers the most variety for everyone. It's a great warmup. Day 2 you should hit Perris...
Do Milestone on Day 1. It's the easiest track and offers the most variety for everyone. It's a great warmup.

Day 2 you should hit Perris. More "motocross" than Milestone. Something for everyone on the main track. Best dirt in SoCal if you ask me.

Day 3 go to Cahuilla. The main track is fun for all skill levels. It's "real" motocross and while I find it fun/easy to ride, you can make it as difficult as you want. Just go faster. It'll challenge you.

I put them in order of easiest to hardest. None of them what I'd consider "hard" tracks. Glen Helen is a beast. Ive never been good enough to enjoy myself there. That's not to say it aint a GREAT track. It's the greatest... Im just not fast enough to make the most of the experience. Every lap feels like "survival". It didnt help that I was going on "pro days". The track is gnarliest then. Someone can correct me if Im wrong but that used to be Thursdays.

Pala has a GREAT vet track. Always well prepped. But so are al the tracks in SoCal. It's also a pretty far drive. The main track is harder than Cahuilla and easier than Glen Helen. Just my opinion. Great facility but for my buck, if Im driving that far out of the way, Im going to Cahuilla every damn time.

Comp Edge is a great facility. The wind can be a bitch. So being that it's a vacation, I wouldnt take the risk. It's got a good Vet track and the Main track has a bit for everyone. But as said before, lotsa blind jumps. Very cool if you’re into that, scary if you’re not. Nothing against Comp Edge I'd just rather hit the 3 I suggested if given the choice and your circumstances.

side note: LACR looks awesome. Ive never been but everyone seems to love it. So there's that.
Pretty much nailed it on this. I love glen helen but ive also been riding there for 20 years and live a few miles a way. LACR is a very fun track its got a good sand mix. But other then that i agree with everything said here.
dylanv21
1/10/2018 10:34pm
Don’t waste your time with Lake Elsinore. Shit track and prep.

Go to LACR or Zaca. Way better!

Zaca is alittle drive from SoCal. But well worth it!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/10/2018 10:57pm
dylanv21 wrote:
Don’t waste your time with Lake Elsinore. Shit track and prep. Go to LACR or Zaca. Way better! Zaca is alittle drive from SoCal. But well...
Don’t waste your time with Lake Elsinore. Shit track and prep.

Go to LACR or Zaca. Way better!

Zaca is alittle drive from SoCal. But well worth it!
X2. Go to Zaca!!!
motokawi818
1/10/2018 11:04pm
Just wake up in the morning and check the weather for comp. If windy just substitute another track and try a different day.
1/11/2018 6:58am
bennytree, thats a solid plan. You don't need any help, have fun.
bennytree
1/11/2018 7:01am
Do Milestone on Day 1. It's the easiest track and offers the most variety for everyone. It's a great warmup. Day 2 you should hit Perris...

Man, what a great synopsis! Have you ever thought about starting a website and reviewing tracks ha ha. Thanks for the info!
Wish we could do LACR to try it out. I checked out their website and it looks mint. Unfortunately we wont be riding Saturday. Probably Just Tues, Wed, Thurs.

Looks we may do

Tues: Comp Edge (Or Pala, Perris, Lake Elsinore)

Wed: Cahuilla

Thurs: Milestone (Or Perris,)

(Option) Fri: Pala (Or Milestone, lake Elsinore)
bennytree
1/11/2018 7:04am
Or what is The West or Lucas Oil Motocross Park?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/11/2018 7:24am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 7:26am
Yo man, when are you coming out? I’m down to link up, you still have my number or email?

If you were only riding Tues-Thursday I’d do:
pala
Cahuilla
Milestone or Perris
PJ205
1/11/2018 7:41am
I’ve ridden all of the above many times so my personal preferences would be Cahuilla for sure, Pala probably next, then Comp Edge or Lake Elsinore. Not sure what area you’re staying in, but it may help us to know in order to help with suggestions. Either way, I highly suggest Cahuilla Creek MX! I never got tired of riding at that place.
ob
1/11/2018 8:15am
Pala is best on the weekends, all the tracks get a good prep. During the week their (am) track doesn't get prepped very much. And the main can be really tough to ride, ripped super deep with only really fast guys on it. I'm not sure if they are leaving the main mellow like it was for the RV cup or going back to bonkers style. Have a great trip!
1/11/2018 8:53am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 8:58am
bennytree wrote:
Man, what a great synopsis! Have you ever thought about starting a website and reviewing tracks ha ha. Thanks for the info! Wish we could do...
Man, what a great synopsis! Have you ever thought about starting a website and reviewing tracks ha ha. Thanks for the info!
Wish we could do LACR to try it out. I checked out their website and it looks mint. Unfortunately we wont be riding Saturday. Probably Just Tues, Wed, Thurs.

Looks we may do

Tues: Comp Edge (Or Pala, Perris, Lake Elsinore)

Thurs: Milestone (Or Perris,)

(Option) Fri: Pala (Or Milestone, lake Elsinore)
As for which days the tracks are open, I did not factor that in.

Out of your day 1 choices, do Pala. Without a doubt. Even if the main track is too gnarly, you and EVERYONE you’re with will love the B/vet track there.

Day 3... let the kids decide. They will love Milestone. And probably beg to go back on day 4. Whether it is the C, B/vet, or A tracks there, they’re all flat & well groomed with a SX vibe. Personally I vote Perris every week with my riding group. I get outvoted each damn time 6-1 because they all are stuck on Milestone. It has a certain fun factor to it for the avg rider. You’ll understand when you get there.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/11/2018 8:58am
I agree on Cahuilla being a definite.

I'd do Perris, Cahuilla, Milestone. Or possibly switch out 1st or 3rd with Pala.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
1/11/2018 9:33am
Sunrise (Racetown) is another one to consider. It's only open on Saturdays, but one of the better tracks I've been riding.
Zaca
LACR
Cajuilla
Pala
Sunrise
Milestone
Glen Helen
Perris

(In that order)
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
1/11/2018 9:48am
Some of the pros are practicing supercross at elsinore and milestone so it might be fun to hit one of those tracks midweek. The races are still west coast while you are here so you should see some.

I think tuesday is elsinore day and wednesday is milestone but someone else here would probably know what days are better to catch some of them at the tracks.

bennytree
1/11/2018 10:39am
Myke wrote:
Some of the pros are practicing supercross at elsinore and milestone so it might be fun to hit one of those tracks midweek. The races are...
Some of the pros are practicing supercross at elsinore and milestone so it might be fun to hit one of those tracks midweek. The races are still west coast while you are here so you should see some.

I think tuesday is elsinore day and wednesday is milestone but someone else here would probably know what days are better to catch some of them at the tracks.

Ya, we talked about that as well, that it would be fun to see some Pros on any SX tracks. I think we we staying away from Lake Elsinore b/c a few people here said the dirt isn't great.

From all the input here I think this our plan (let me know if it looks good) and if anyone is there those days. come say whats up. #547 on a Suzuki.

Tues: Pala

Thurs: Perris

Fri: Milestone
bennytree
1/11/2018 12:54pm
One more quick question, we were wanting to maybe take a tour of PC or MX companys like that. Do any of them do tours?
loftyair
1/11/2018 4:19pm
Yeah, go by pc and TLD. Good stuff. Just walk in and gander. Not sure about tour stuff.
mattexplore
1/11/2018 4:49pm
Not to hijack (I'm going to anyway) but I'm also thinking about a trip to socal to get some time on an MX track. Options are seriously limited here in SW Colorado.

I'm a beginner at MX, but ride competently in my enduro and trials stuff. Sounds like Milestone could be a good place to start?
1/11/2018 6:13pm
Not to hijack (I'm going to anyway) but I'm also thinking about a trip to socal to get some time on an MX track. Options are...
Not to hijack (I'm going to anyway) but I'm also thinking about a trip to socal to get some time on an MX track. Options are seriously limited here in SW Colorado.

I'm a beginner at MX, but ride competently in my enduro and trials stuff. Sounds like Milestone could be a good place to start?
Milestone's a good place to start as it has beginner and vet tracks. Word of warning tho, lock up your stuff or leave someone in in your pit when riding. Place is notorious for theft.
50dippin
1/11/2018 10:12pm
My favorite tracks in SoCal are Cauhilla and comp edge, but keep in mind both can get very windy. I hate the wind so I avoid both on windy days. Cauhilla is also pretty cold this time of year and even gets snow every once in a while, so bring a jacket. Weather permitting these are my two favorite tracks. Elevation, big jumps if you want, and longer track means more fun for me.

Glen Helen would be my third choice, another great track with long lap times, but it can get a bit rough.

I would lump Pala and Milestone into the same category. Both are relatively flat man made tracks that will be extremely crowded on weekends. Short flat tracks and a lot of people means less fun, and more danger if you ask me.

Lastander
1/15/2018 11:41am
When i was in socal i rode at milestone, did a REM at glen helen, rode cahuilla, pala and lake elsinore.
Milestone was probably the most fun/easiest, my bike broke at pala but that track was amazing, had to spend the next day at cahuilla on different loaner bikes that were total shit otherwise it was a great and really cool track, could hold a crf250 wide open on 5th gear a couple of times on their vet track also.

The rem track on glen helen was pretty meh, i wish i would have skipped the REM and just practiced on the main track.
Lake elsinore was different, the dirt was very unlike the other tracks and had plenty of ruts and bumps but a great track overall

Post a reply to: MX ROAD TRIP TO SO CAL. BEST TRACKS?

The Latest