MX Nationals -- are we really leveraging the possibilities when it comes to track design?

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 11/22/2018 6:47am
I was watching Terrafirma 2 last night with Reynard and Dowd, they were ripping Southwick and basically hopping off the side of the track onto the side of a hill down a dropoff. It looked cool. I also remember seeing old footage of Gatorback and I seem to remember a section where the guys were jumping in a turn and landing while turning on the banking on the side of the track.

Fast forward to the 'half pipe' at Hangtown, which was pretty coo IMO.

It got me thinking...when it comes to keeping fans and riders interested in outdoors, maybe we are coming at it backwards with the whole "outdoors are for real men" philosophy as the justification for why people should want to watch.

Sure, national tracks are super gnarly and rough, as riders we get that but I don't know how well that translates to the less serious fan. Maybe we need to look at ways to evolve the obstacles so that the riders are truly doing things that can't be done in the confines of a stadium. And I don't mean the Fly 150 or 80 mph straights, I mean more creative obstacles. Let's see them defy gravity in huge inverted banked turns, cool obstacles like the half-pipe, jumps that intentionally set up onto walls similar to that old one at Gatorback, sharks with laser beams, loop de loops, who knows. I don't have the answers but I think if we took a more creative look, it could make for a cooler spectator experience and probably better TV.

Yes, I live in a weed-legal state. No, I swear I am not high!
Poll

What do you think?

Choices
|
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
11/15/2018 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 3:09pm
Personally, I'd like to see outdoor tracks have more natural sections. So, I voted it ain't broke just because I don't want more uniquely man-made obstacles.

The challenge for a track owner for what I want is probably as a track ages, how do you keep it "natural"? I like how Glen Helen did it for the national a few years ago with this section (image below).

mark_swart
11/15/2018 3:25pm
731chopper wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see outdoor tracks have more natural sections. So, I voted it ain't broke just because I don't want more uniquely man-made obstacles...
Personally, I'd like to see outdoor tracks have more natural sections. So, I voted it ain't broke just because I don't want more uniquely man-made obstacles.

The challenge for a track owner for what I want is probably as a track ages, how do you keep it "natural"? I like how Glen Helen did it for the national a few years ago with this section (image below).

That's actually similar in concept to what I'm talking about though. I remember seeing Tomac jump into that turn, or one similar. It was unreal to watch them jump and land already set up and turning. Leverage the terrain to push the envelope of track design.
11/17/2018 9:49pm
If “leveraging possibilities” actually means “overwatering, over smoothing, and making them boring”, then you are absolutely correct.
Sweetd31
11/17/2018 10:22pm
731chopper wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see outdoor tracks have more natural sections. So, I voted it ain't broke just because I don't want more uniquely man-made obstacles...

mark_swart wrote:
That's actually similar in concept to what I'm talking about though. I remember seeing Tomac jump into that turn, or one similar. It was unreal to...
That's actually similar in concept to what I'm talking about though. I remember seeing Tomac jump into that turn, or one similar. It was unreal to watch them jump and land already set up and turning. Leverage the terrain to push the envelope of track design.
Baggett at Thunder Valley a couple years back comes to mind, when he gave Tomac the last serious battle that I could remember outdoors

The Shop

Sweetd31
11/17/2018 10:26pm

I imagine you envision something even gnarlier than this?
11/17/2018 11:00pm
Or a few years ago at pala when Deano doubled at the end of the roller section. You can’t try to force those things they have to happen naturally.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
11/18/2018 11:06am
Variety. We're missing it.

There should be a truly hard pack, blue groove track. Something else with silly deep sand. Another that looks like a slot car track all the way around, etc. Yes, there would be bitching and complaining by the riders since that means not every track was ripped at 6" deep with the perfect combination of sand, loam, and clay with a cherry on top. However, I think that overall it would make for far more exciting racing as certain riders are always going to excel at certain conditions. Baggett might love the hard pack while Barcia and Plessinger might shoot up in the rankings when a sloppy, deep rutted track is presented to them. Maybe Tomac kills it in a crazy rough loamy track while Musquin tears up a technical, jump filled track.

I think that's one of the reasons that tracks like Glen Helen and Southwick are so revered. Everyone expects huge hills, high speeds, big jumps and rough braking bumps at GH. The Wick should always provide a surface that looks like a beach that was used for howitzer target practice. Bring back something like the old Hangtown, Saddleback or Steel City- there are certain riders that ate up those hard pack conditions.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/18/2018 11:16am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2018 11:17am
Did You See the Jumps KDUB used to do in opening ceremonies?
Id say these 450's can do a lot more , but then there is the danger factor
Maybe the Could Let a couple guys that wanted to
Do some more opening ceremonies type stuff to really show what these bikes are capable of
Prejump
11/18/2018 12:45pm
It's an absolute no brainer the AMA series needs a proper sand track.

If there isnt one, build it or adapt a current track.

Hell if you did that you might even attract some euro wild cards to learn from.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
11/18/2018 1:42pm
Ok , I know it's just me only because it's overplayed.

"Leveraging" ... enough with the business lingo, tired of hearing that way over used term at work. Seems anyone wanting to sound business hip feels the need to inject that every chance they get.
11/18/2018 1:59pm
Prejump wrote:
It's an absolute no brainer the AMA series needs a proper sand track. If there isnt one, build it or adapt a current track. Hell if...

Southwick was the sandiest one I did this year. America doesn’t have much sand and elevation mixed together.
Paul333
11/18/2018 2:14pm
Leave the tracks as natural as possible. We don’t need a bunch of dumb ass Supercross obstacles on our National tracks. The kiddies might want it becuase all they want to do is jump and have the attention span of a dead lab rat. Ignore them
drt410
11/18/2018 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2018 2:31pm
Isnt red bud a sand track now. No way did they remove all that sand since mxon.
ATKpilot99
11/18/2018 3:07pm
Prejump wrote:
It's an absolute no brainer the AMA series needs a proper sand track. If there isnt one, build it or adapt a current track. Hell if...

Southwick was the sandiest one I did this year. America doesn’t have much sand and elevation mixed together.
Lommel is on a flat piece of real estate.
BikeGuy321
11/18/2018 3:18pm
Hip Jumps and Milville/Washougal whoops FTW! Ski Jumps > Step Downs. Adding some chicanes with deep dirt and no obstacles would be cool so you can see bar-drag every lap.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/18/2018 3:40pm
I Dont Understand the Thrill of Big Hills
, i mean its ok that some of the tracks have them , Glen Helen millville, and i dont have a problem with elevation
But i dont really think its a must , imo it doesn't add anything to the racing, and when riding the tracks, i have Ridden millville and we actually have a track here in Minnesota that is more hilly than millville, just up down up down up down the whole entire track , not millville
This other track , but imo its not that much fun to ride,
You cant see the track from a spectator view and i dont think it adds to the racing,
so personally id take a track made on a flat field , with a nice layout. Some berms , preferably some sand , some whoops ,some table tops and doubles.
And a track that Spectators can watch the whole race.
Sweetd31
11/18/2018 4:03pm
What the people (fans) really want, is a dedicated 2 stroke class similar to the way nascar truck series exists. I proposed it can even act as a “d-league/minor league” like in hoops/baseball. Just my two cents though.
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
11/18/2018 4:29pm
All tracks are great, let them in peace.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
11/18/2018 5:01pm
Prejump wrote:

Southwick has attracted Euro wild cards over the years.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
11/18/2018 5:35pm
I miss the board wall on the finish turn at High Point after you crossed the start straight. I remember seeing guys like Guy Cooper and Mike Brown just nail that wall. Loved it.
TeamFlannel
11/22/2018 6:47am
Prejump wrote:

Too bad Keithsburg Illinois (All Sugar Sand) is surrounded by state ground, and it’s out in the middle of BFE (no infrastructure). Rougher than a CornCob, Team Yamaha and Honda used to suspension test there. 125 National was held there in 77’.
Prejump
11/22/2018 1:53pm
Too bad Keithsburg Illinois (All Sugar Sand) is surrounded by state ground, and it’s out in the middle of BFE (no infrastructure). Rougher than a CornCob...
Too bad Keithsburg Illinois (All Sugar Sand) is surrounded by state ground, and it’s out in the middle of BFE (no infrastructure). Rougher than a CornCob, Team Yamaha and Honda used to suspension test there. 125 National was held there in 77’.
I’m probably being naive to some issues that might prevent this, but couldn’t a track / land be found where they could excavate down 1 meter or so, (use so of this first to create cool features etc ) then fill the lowered ground level with sand? Make it as deep as possible to create the bottomless feel of places like Lommel Leirop etc.

That’s what I would like to see on the US Calendar

Post a reply to: MX Nationals -- are we really leveraging the possibilities when it comes to track design?

The Latest