MX During College?

MXRICH
6/25/2015 11:24am
MXRICH wrote:
Who is paying your tuition? My son will be a senior and I would not let him have a bike at school the first year. I...
Who is paying your tuition? My son will be a senior and I would not let him have a bike at school the first year. I wanted him to acclimate to college and get his priorities straight. College is EXPENSIVE. He proved himself and this year he even got his college to sponsor him. They worked with us for storing the bike (enclosed trailer under security on campus). He maintained his grades and even managed to make it to LL. By the way only E-Town is within reasonable driving distance from RUTGERS. If you get to college(Rutgers) and have your priorities in order and are stuck for storing the bike, hit me up, we live close.
Crush wrote:
That's bad ass dude. You should be proud!
Crush,

I am proud. But I didn't realize making LL would mean another "student loan" to get there. LOL.

JW381
6/25/2015 12:33pm
I was fortunate enough to have been born in a college town, so keeping my dirtbike and pursuing a college education just meant staying put in Eugene. My 'rents were nice enough to let me keep my bike (and sometimes myself) at their place.
JW381
6/25/2015 12:34pm
MXRICH wrote:
Who is paying your tuition? My son will be a senior and I would not let him have a bike at school the first year. I...
Who is paying your tuition? My son will be a senior and I would not let him have a bike at school the first year. I wanted him to acclimate to college and get his priorities straight. College is EXPENSIVE. He proved himself and this year he even got his college to sponsor him. They worked with us for storing the bike (enclosed trailer under security on campus). He maintained his grades and even managed to make it to LL. By the way only E-Town is within reasonable driving distance from RUTGERS. If you get to college(Rutgers) and have your priorities in order and are stuck for storing the bike, hit me up, we live close.
Crush wrote:
MXRICH wrote:
Crush,

I am proud. But I didn't realize making LL would mean another "student loan" to get there. LOL.

A buddy of mine is a Freshman at Oregon State in the engineering program, and he made it to LL's for the first time this year. Him and his dad are taking almost an entire month to just travel and ride leading up to the Dude Ranch. Pretty badass.
DAG
6/25/2015 4:18pm
I got a BSME and a BA Physics and rode a fair amount. As mentioned before time management is key.Get with a good group of guys and use the collective efforts to get things done. Thats what you'll do in the real world. Also, volunteer or intern at whatever you want to do. I spent my own money and worked my class schedule so I had Tuesday and Thursdays off so I could volunteer with a.stock car team. Led to 10 years in racing. If you want something bad enough you'll figure out how to do it. I kept a bike in anAstro van and also used a mini storage..just don't be dumb and get hurt as mentioned before which was brilliant advice. Best wishes for your school and junior.year is probably the toughest but most fun cause its all ME.

The Shop

6/25/2015 6:10pm
Parked my 450 right in the living room. Pissed off one of my room mates but come Saturday...I had trails to hit!

Ill never forget when they did a random inspection..we had a torrent server farm upstairs and a couple of 450's down stairs. They just gave us some odd looks and moved on.

MXRICH
6/25/2015 6:16pm
Something else you need to seriously consider. If you continue to ride keep it under control. If you should get hurt and cannot attend school you might lose a semester's tuition.
hvaughn88
6/25/2015 6:30pm
MXRICH wrote:
Something else you need to seriously consider. If you continue to ride keep it under control. If you should get hurt and cannot attend school you...
Something else you need to seriously consider. If you continue to ride keep it under control. If you should get hurt and cannot attend school you might lose a semester's tuition.
Very true! I broke my arm at the skate park my very first day of classes my freshman year. Spent the first semester with a cast on my writing arm. Not an ideal situation for chemistry and biology labs.
Crush
6/25/2015 6:34pm
Crush wrote:
MXRICH wrote:
Crush,

JW381 wrote:
A buddy of mine is a Freshman at Oregon State in the engineering program, and he made it to LL's for the first time this year...
A buddy of mine is a Freshman at Oregon State in the engineering program, and he made it to LL's for the first time this year. Him and his dad are taking almost an entire month to just travel and ride leading up to the Dude Ranch. Pretty badass.
haha, that's actually pretty funny, but you know what, if he's doing it right how can you not?! As long as he tries his ass off, if he's ticking all the other boxes you should be stoked, there's a bunch of kids there who probably can't place Alaska on a map.
hvaughn88
6/25/2015 6:43pm
MXRICH wrote:
Crush,

JW381 wrote:
A buddy of mine is a Freshman at Oregon State in the engineering program, and he made it to LL's for the first time this year...
Crush wrote:
haha, that's actually pretty funny, but you know what, if he's doing it right how can you not?! As long as he tries his ass off...
haha, that's actually pretty funny, but you know what, if he's doing it right how can you not?! As long as he tries his ass off, if he's ticking all the other boxes you should be stoked, there's a bunch of kids there who probably can't place Alaska on a map.
Ain't Alaska dat funny lookin one I seen down'er by huh-why-e?
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
6/25/2015 7:56pm
I raced. My avatar was shot when I was a junior at SMU. Couldn't do it every weekend and certainly no in-week practice. But me and Jim Whitten were probably one of a handful of SMU alums who raced MX while earning degrees.
wwoberg
6/25/2015 8:00pm
As with any career to be successful, you need to step back and figure what's important.

I got a BSME. Rode very little in school, and rode very little when I got a job. To be successful in this day, working 40 hrs a week don't cut it. If u want to succeed, your attention needs to be focused. If you want to be an engineer to engineer stuff, focus on that. If you want to get a job as an engineer to fund MX, do that. You won't grow as an engineer. Engineering us tough, a lot of pressure, and requires your full attention to be successful.

I only started riding again after I became "Management" (bossing other engineers). I have lost many technical skills and deal mostly with people. Its more stressful, pays better, but requires less "book" work, although there is still some.

hillbilly
6/25/2015 8:17pm
at least you wont have to buy condoms,they hand them out fer free now.
njracer46
6/25/2015 8:38pm
I live 15-20 mins from Rutgers, lots of dirty girls haha.

Pay me some rent and you can keep it in my shop Laughing pretty decent size, AC/heated, all the tools you'll ever need.. Oh and a decent track right next to it with tons of pitbike trails.

Snake and speed citi are still a decent drive for me, like I said I'm 15 from Rutgers. Millville is 2 hours, snake 3, speed is another 30 to an hour past snake. I usually ride in pa, you go to pagoda right? I went to the night practice yesterday, first time I've ever went and I loved it. Going every weekend until they stop doing it for the year.
hillbilly
6/25/2015 8:45pm
njracer46 wrote:
I live 15-20 mins from Rutgers, lots of dirty girls haha. Pay me some rent and you can keep it in my shop :laugh: pretty decent...

Pay me some rent and you can keep it in my shop Laughing pretty decent size, AC/heated, all the tools you'll ever need.. Oh and a decent track right next to it with tons of pitbike trails.

Snake and speed citi are still a decent drive for me, like I said I'm 15 from Rutgers. Millville is 2 hours, snake 3, speed is another 30 to an hour past snake. I usually ride in pa, you go to pagoda right? I went to the night practice yesterday, first time I've ever went and I loved it. Going every weekend until they stop doing it for the year.
lets hear more about the dirty girls,fuc his bike.
njracer46
6/25/2015 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2015 9:22pm
hillbilly wrote:
Nothing you won't see at most colleges. You know how at car dealerships they usually just have one of each model they use for test drives and everyone beats on it to see how it performs? Then they bring it back to the dealership full of shame and say they're not interested or want to shop around more. Yeah that.

Like everyone else is saying, college is not cheap. Weed, beer, and going to ( insert any fast food place here ) in the late hours of the night add up quick.
Dissident
6/25/2015 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2015 10:19pm
Urseth727 wrote:
If you like to ride and money isnt an issue, Id suggest keeping it and riding! College isnt as hard and spooky as everyone makes it...
If you like to ride and money isnt an issue, Id suggest keeping it and riding!
College isnt as hard and spooky as everyone makes it out to be.
I graduated from Arizona State in May of 2014 with my Bachelors of Science (Kinesiology).
I also raced west coast supercross and some select outdoors every year. (Making mains in sx and top20-30 outdoors)
Also, while in school I worked a part time job (15-25 hours a week)

It honestly comes down to what you want to do with your time.
Time management is key in balancing it all. You can study on nights your buddies are getting wasted just because its wednesday, for example. Lol

I start my Doctor of Physical Therapy program in August this year and thats what Im shitting bricks about.
After seeing the rigourous schedule and hearing stories from current DPT students, idk if i will be able to race west coast sx next year. I am damn sure going to try to fit it all in though!

Take it from someone that has done it. Undergrad is not all that bad.

Go for it OP!!!
no offense but OP is studying mechanical engineering, not kiniselogy which is a pretty watered down science degree, IMO.

i knew lots of kids who were damn sharp that struggled with this major (m.e ..in fact all engineering degrees are pretty tough from what i hear)

OP truly needs to decide if he really wants to be an engineer and not just another mouth breather with a degree

Dissident
6/25/2015 10:11pm
njracer46 wrote:
I live 15-20 mins from Rutgers, lots of dirty girls haha. Pay me some rent and you can keep it in my shop :laugh: pretty decent...

hillbilly wrote:
lots of stuck up upper middle class girls @ that school (rutgers)

glad i went to texas Smile

wildbill
6/26/2015 12:20am
steveada wrote:
College is a balancing act that a lot of students aren't any good at. They either go crazy with the social aspects of it or they...
College is a balancing act that a lot of students aren't any good at. They either go crazy with the social aspects of it or they concentrate so much on studying and doing school work that they eventually walk around like zombies with hollow eyes in a caffeine fueled state where their brain is only able to function at about 50% of what is normal on their best days. I am no genius but I went to school on an athletic scholarship that took up a big chunk of my time, but somehow managed to have some social life and do well enough in school to go on to medical school. You will need a release and if you love moto, spending part of a day on the weekend doing something that recharges you will actually make you a better student.
"Every one's a genius, but, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its life believing that it is stupid!"
hillbilly
6/26/2015 7:49am
hillbilly wrote:
njracer46 wrote:
Nothing you won't see at most colleges. You know how at car dealerships they usually just have one of each model they use for test drives...
Nothing you won't see at most colleges. You know how at car dealerships they usually just have one of each model they use for test drives and everyone beats on it to see how it performs? Then they bring it back to the dealership full of shame and say they're not interested or want to shop around more. Yeah that.

Like everyone else is saying, college is not cheap. Weed, beer, and going to ( insert any fast food place here ) in the late hours of the night add up quick.
lucky bastashes,to be 20 again.
Skerby
6/26/2015 8:11am
I did it for the first couple years. It was expensive and dumb. Buy a mountain bike and wait till you graduate.
Urseth727
6/26/2015 8:54am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 9:05am
Urseth727 wrote:
If you like to ride and money isnt an issue, Id suggest keeping it and riding! College isnt as hard and spooky as everyone makes it...
I graduated from Arizona State in May of 2014 with my Bachelors of Science (Kinesiology).
I also raced west coast supercross and some select outdoors every year. (Making mains in sx and top20-30 outdoors)

Time management is key in balancing it all. You can study on nights your buddies are getting wasted just because its wednesday, for example. Lol

I start my Doctor of Physical Therapy program in August this year and thats what Im shitting bricks about.
After seeing the rigourous schedule and hearing stories from current DPT students, idk if i will be able to race west coast sx next year. I am damn sure going to try to fit it all in though!

Go for it OP!!!
Dissident wrote:
no offense but OP is studying mechanical engineering, not kiniselogy which is a pretty watered down science degree, IMO. i knew lots of kids who were...
no offense but OP is studying mechanical engineering, not kiniselogy which is a pretty watered down science degree, IMO.

i knew lots of kids who were damn sharp that struggled with this major (m.e ..in fact all engineering degrees are pretty tough from what i hear)

OP truly needs to decide if he really wants to be an engineer and not just another mouth breather with a degree

Not to sound like a dick but I wont be offended by your opinion. ( you didnt even spell the major right)
Kinesiology may not be as "mathy" as M.E. but they arent basket weaving classes, they are geared toward getting you ready and prepped for grad school. Some of my undergrad classes included:
Calculus
Organic chemistry 1 &2
University physics 1&2
Gen. Chem 1&2
Biomechanics 1
Biomechanics 2 ( skeletal system)
Biomechanics of qualatative sports analysis
Motor Development
Functional anatomy
Motor control
Etc etc etc.
I wasnt saying Kin was the hardest degree ever ( although its not like an art or english degree)
I was saying he can ride on the weekends if he wanted, there will be some free time in undergrad...
I did it while working and racing sx/mx

We dont have to drop pants and compare nuts to see whose are larger!
Andrew337
6/26/2015 9:26am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 9:26am
Skerby wrote:
I did it for the first couple years. It was expensive and dumb. Buy a mountain bike and wait till you graduate.
+1 on the mountain bike, so much easier/cheaper to store and maintain. I had 5 or 6 trails within a 30 minute drive. It's a lot easier to find time to break away for a mountain bike ride than moto.

And seriously look into the Formula SAE program to get your motorsports fix while learning engineering lessons you can't learn in a lecture hall.

hillbilly
6/26/2015 9:37am
Skerby wrote:
Andrew337 wrote:
+1 on the mountain bike, so much easier/cheaper to store and maintain. I had 5 or 6 trails within a 30 minute drive. It's a lot...
+1 on the mountain bike, so much easier/cheaper to store and maintain. I had 5 or 6 trails within a 30 minute drive. It's a lot easier to find time to break away for a mountain bike ride than moto.

And seriously look into the Formula SAE program to get your motorsports fix while learning engineering lessons you can't learn in a lecture hall.

what engine platform in this series?
suzook241
6/26/2015 9:44am
Bressler11 wrote:
Okay so heres the big question... What to do with your bikes while at college? I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical...
Okay so heres the big question... What to do with your bikes while at college?

I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. What did some of you do? I don't know how my roommate would feel with a 450 stuffed in the dorm.Tongue
E, went through the same situation when I went off to college. Moto is very important in my life, however schooling while in school came first. During the first year or so I would commute home and ride occasionally when I could. But then by the second year I started to get the itch and twist of the wrist. I found a storage garage and kept the bike there. I had two bikes at the time so one was kept at one location and the other at home. I did this for about a year and a half then said screw it and stayed at home versus at school. Over an hour commute each way but I was much happier at home than staying at school.
watson
6/26/2015 10:37am
Urseth727 wrote:

Go for it OP!!!
Dissident wrote:
no offense but OP is studying mechanical engineering, not kiniselogy which is a pretty watered down science degree, IMO. i knew lots of kids who were...

You are misinformed, sir. I was a dual major in Kinesiology and Biomedical Engineering. The Kinesiology portion of my degree plan was every bit as challenging as the Biomedical Engineering portion. Your view is a bit antiquated perhaps in part because there was a time when Kinesiology was a bullshit degree (specifically when it was under the college of education at most universities), but that's a thing of the past.

You have to have a very strong grasp of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and physics (mechanics) to do well in Kinesiology undergraduate degrees these days. On top of that, doctorate of physical therapy program (DPT) admittance rates are comparable to medical school admittance rates these days (although I do not consider PT school to be as difficult as anything an MD goes through). Highly competitive.
Question
6/26/2015 10:54am

If it is the only sport you are really into, then why not.

Oxygenation is good for the brain. It is necessary to stay healthy, particularly in the mid long term.

No bikes for me, I pushed like hell for my degree and professionally, in the end I lost a lot physically.
Andrew337
6/26/2015 11:57am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 12:00pm
hillbilly wrote:
what engine platform in this series?
The rulebook is pretty open-ended so that teams have to make decisions for themselves and be able to defend their decisions to design judges. The general rules are that they have to be 600cc or less, with a single 20mm intake restrictor, and run on 93 or 100 octane gasoline or E-85. The two common engine packages are 600cc 4-cylinders (CBR600, R6, etc.) and 450cc single-cylinders (YFZ450R, KTM, CRF450X).

The restrictor pretty well limits you to around 70hp with a 600cc 4-cylinder. We were making 58hp with our modified Yamaha 450, after measuring 47hp stock on the same dyno (restricted, of course).

It's a lot like moto in that horsepower is rarely the deciding factor, it's all about chassis set-up and handling (and aero).

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
6/26/2015 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 12:55pm
Delete. Just found my other post.
6/26/2015 5:22pm
Bressler11 wrote:
Okay so heres the big question... What to do with your bikes while at college? I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical...
Okay so heres the big question... What to do with your bikes while at college?

I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. What did some of you do? I don't know how my roommate would feel with a 450 stuffed in the dorm.Tongue
Keep your bike at your parents.

Focus on school. Ride once a month if studies allow it. If you're living close to home ride once a week!
6/26/2015 9:47pm
I had no idea so many vitards went to college...would have never guessed.

Post a reply to: MX During College?

The Latest