MX Controversies

JN137
Fantasy
486th
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 5:12am
What are some of the more interesting conflicts you guys remember in our sport over the years? Whether it be professional racing or just industry related.

Off the top of my head - laser-gate, RC’s points with the gas situation
|
Crush
4/8/2020 11:10pm
The fuel debacles were fucked. Not only the ruling inconsistency in the three instances, but if you let racing go on a week or two with a decision pending you're altering the situation the racers are racing too.

Black flag gate was beyond shyte, but it's been basically repeated because of an individual and nothing's changed.

Vegas 95 lights would have been a great opportunity for the riders and more importantly the TEAMS to come together but there's been many since and they still put singular agendas ahead of the collective benefit of the sport, whilst the promoters laughing to the bank. Shame.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/8/2020 11:20pm
I remember and I stand to be corrected over the location but I think it was Mount Morris in 99.

There was major drama involving Michael Pichon and his dad over parking in the the pits. Such a minor issue turned bad real quick.

A notable mention - there was a team semi driver who went all nuts and quit during race day....

The Shop

TDeath21
4/9/2020 12:30am
Dungey/Musquin/Tomac in the last few rounds of the 2017 SX season. Would have been interesting to see what the AMA/FIM's decision would have been if one of Tomac's takeout attempts worked and he ended up with more points after Vegas.

Reed vs Stewart 06, 07, 09, 10, 11. If these boards had only been as popular then as they are now. They kinda were in 2011 and the debates on here were off the charts.

Stewart landing on Carmichael in 05. Easily could have been a major injury. Another one where if the internet were like it is now, yikes.

03 MX not racing the final round. 250s didn't matter but Langston led Ryno by 7 points I think in the 125 class. That's ... hardly anything. To call the series like that with one round remaining and that close. Just wow. Stewart also had an outside shot at it. He returned from injury and won every moto.

04 MXoN fiasco. I don't know all the details on this one though. I know someone here will.

Reed and Stewart going SX only was pretty controversial. To do that in their primes was pretty unheard of. McGrath did it late in his career. Those two did it at ages 23 and 24, after only 4 seasons on the big bike. One of the biggest disappointments I think in MX history, on the AMA side, is how rare it was for us to see Villopoto and Stewart on the MX track at the same time, despite 6 seasons worth of racing the big bikes together.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/9/2020 1:10am
Jake-247 wrote:
Whatever was in davi’s locker?
Ya, would be interesting to know what was in the locker.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
4/9/2020 1:44am
Jake-247 wrote:
Whatever was in davi’s locker?
Boomslang wrote:
Ya, would be interesting to know what was in the locker.
Toradol with no prescription.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
4/9/2020 3:10am
the 800's take out and go for the kill switch on Tedesco 05, was pretty big stuff at the time, probably the most un-sportsman like thing i have ever seen in moto,

slowgti
4/9/2020 3:13am
The 800's takeout of tickle in Atlanta
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/9/2020 3:13am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Toradol with no prescription.
Thanks Maverick...so basically pain meds with no prescription. Contract terminated because of that?

They could have handled it differently as in getting help for him. Pain tabs are a common problem with mx athletes.

4/9/2020 3:16am
JN137 wrote:
What are some of the more interesting conflicts you guys remember in our sport over the years? Whether it be professional racing or just industry related...
What are some of the more interesting conflicts you guys remember in our sport over the years? Whether it be professional racing or just industry related.

Off the top of my head - laser-gate, RC’s points with the gas situation
The gas inconsistencies were bullshit.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/9/2020 3:25am
scott_nz wrote:
the 800's take out and go for the kill switch on Tedesco 05, was pretty big stuff at the time, probably the most un-sportsman like thing...
the 800's take out and go for the kill switch on Tedesco 05, was pretty big stuff at the time, probably the most un-sportsman like thing i have ever seen in moto,

That was a pretty shit move and I'm guessing Mike regrets it to this day.

D_L118
4/9/2020 3:33am
Boomslang wrote:
I remember and I stand to be corrected over the location but I think it was Mount Morris in 99. There was major drama involving Michael...
I remember and I stand to be corrected over the location but I think it was Mount Morris in 99.

There was major drama involving Michael Pichon and his dad over parking in the the pits. Such a minor issue turned bad real quick.

A notable mention - there was a team semi driver who went all nuts and quit during race day....
I also remember some drama with pichon’s dad at tve grobbendonk gp. Hit a flagger or something lije that? Can’t exactly remember, was really young at the time
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/9/2020 3:43am
Boomslang wrote:
I remember and I stand to be corrected over the location but I think it was Mount Morris in 99. There was major drama involving Michael...

D_L118 wrote:
I also remember some drama with pichon’s dad at tve grobbendonk gp. Hit a flagger or something lije that? Can’t exactly remember, was really young at...
I also remember some drama with pichon’s dad at tve grobbendonk gp. Hit a flagger or something lije that? Can’t exactly remember, was really young at the time
There was also drama between Pichon and Everts at the South African GP. Pichon waited for Everts to come around before he made his move. Ill try find the exact story to post here.

Cortami79
4/9/2020 3:50am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 3:51am
Herlings vs searle 2012 was pretty intense

Herlings vs Tonus in 2011 after that takeout in France as well

Fun times Grinning always love some controversy
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
4/9/2020 4:09am
scott_nz wrote:
the 800's take out and go for the kill switch on Tedesco 05, was pretty big stuff at the time, probably the most un-sportsman like thing...

Boomslang wrote:

Tomac trying to “bunch Dungey up” at Vegas in 17 was pretty damn unsportsmanlike.

I know this place is full of Tomac fans and they don’t like to admit it, but he had all season to make up the points with consistent finishes but he waited until the last race to pull several attempts at crashing one of the nicest dudes in the sport.

ajk423
4/9/2020 5:17am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 5:17am
Tomac trying to “bunch Dungey up” at Vegas in 17 was pretty damn unsportsmanlike. I know this place is full of Tomac fans and they don’t...
Tomac trying to “bunch Dungey up” at Vegas in 17 was pretty damn unsportsmanlike.

I know this place is full of Tomac fans and they don’t like to admit it, but he had all season to make up the points with consistent finishes but he waited until the last race to pull several attempts at crashing one of the nicest dudes in the sport.

I like both guys, I'm an mx fan not a individual r
ider fan. While I agree he had all season to make the points up on the flip side dungey had all season to create a gap. If at the last race you're leading by your logic should they just not race? Because by bunching them up he had a fighting chance and don't do anything dirty. Just because dungey is "nice" is irrelevant. im sure Tomac is also "nice." Zach cleaned out savatgy, were you ok with that? Same race same circumstance. Like I said I don't like one guy better than the other so my judgement isnt clouded with emotions in this case like a lot of guys
EngIceDave
4/9/2020 5:29am
AMA Pro vs Live Nation/Jam Sports

Effects of which you still experience to this day
TyRod
4/9/2020 5:44am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 7:08am
When James Stewart was arrested in 2011 for impersonating a cop.
Mr. Afterbar
4/9/2020 5:50am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 5:53am
Get real. Calling Eli unsportsmanlike, but no mention of Reed absolutely trying to destroy Stew on the fastest part of the Vegas track for the title. If Eli wanted to put Ryan on the ground, he would have. I have no problem with either move. It’s for a championship. Toughen up.

Edit: Meant to quote observeroffacts
Johnny Ringo
4/9/2020 5:51am
scott_nz wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

Tomac trying to “bunch Dungey up” at Vegas in 17 was pretty damn unsportsmanlike. I know this place is full of Tomac fans and they don’t...

Is Bunching more unsportsmanlike than having your teammate pull over for you in the second to last round? Hmmm
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
4/9/2020 6:04am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 6:18am

ajk423 wrote:
I like both guys, I'm an mx fan not a individual r ider fan. While I agree he had all season to make the points up...
ider fan. While I agree he had all season to make the points up on the flip side dungey had all season to create a gap. If at the last race you're leading by your logic should they just not race? Because by bunching them up he had a fighting chance and don't do anything dirty. Just because dungey is "nice" is irrelevant. im sure Tomac is also "nice." Zach cleaned out savatgy, were you ok with that? Same race same circumstance. Like I said I don't like one guy better than the other so my judgement isnt clouded with emotions in this case like a lot of guys
Dungey did create a gap in the points with heads up racing. That’s why Tomacs only chance was to repeatedly pass him aggressively and then slow him down to try to force him to fall. That is not heads up racing.

Also, for those of you saying “it’s just racing”. Well Ryan just raced and won.

For those of you clouded by bias you should rewatch it now with some hindsight. I count 3 passes that we’re all intended to take Dungey out.
https://youtu.be/OEbt8xEEhBM
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
4/9/2020 6:06am
Boomslang wrote:

Is Bunching more unsportsmanlike than having your teammate pull over for you in the second to last round? Hmmm
Also, do you think that Ryan is who told Marvin to “pull over” for him? Did Tomac ask Savatgy to pull over for him at MEC?
alphado
4/9/2020 6:09am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 6:10am
When the Weege brought his band of RacerX goons to the Pitbike Supermoto series at The Lube in Sharon to take me out!

Silas444
4/9/2020 6:18am
These are all interesting tales, but they pale in comparison to Czechoslovakian rider Jaroslav Fanta being robbed of the world championship by Russian riders operating under Russian State orders. That particular year (mid-70s, can't remember the exact year), the championship had come down to the last moto, and in the most outrageous act of team tactics ever, Guennady Moisseev's teammates slowed down enough to be lapped by Falta, and when he tried to pass them, they set him up, T-boned him, and ran over him - and that was that. Moisseev was crowned the victor of both the race and the championship, and because Russia had nothing resembling and honest media, no one in Russia knew anything peculiar had happened; and because the F.I.M. was scared of the Russian government, no real retribution ever happened either. I remember reading all about it in MXA. I was just a kid, and I remember it being so upsetting my stomach hurt. The worst part of all this was: Moisseev wasn't a bad guy, but from that day on, he was certainly seen as one.
agn5009
4/9/2020 6:34am

ajk423 wrote:
I like both guys, I'm an mx fan not a individual r ider fan. While I agree he had all season to make the points up...
Yep I'm a huge Dungey fan. Hes my favorite of all time. I dont dislike Tomac but hes not the guy I currently root for. Tomac bunching guys up was a solid game plan to win the title. He wasnt trying to hurt Dungey or anyone else so why would anyone have a problem with it.
newmann
4/9/2020 6:47am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/9530/s600_003122907dirtydozen.jpg[/img]
That right there was f'n beautiful. JLaw writing checks with his mouth that his ass couldn't cover. Villo and Dungey both showed him how it gets done. Damn shame too because Jason could beat both of them. He tried to mindfuck Villo and Dungey but it can never work when they are both living rent free in your head. LaughingLaughingLaughing

Post a reply to: MX Controversies

The Latest