MPS Does it Again!

CR500Rider
3/14/2013 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 2:41pm
cwtoyota wrote:
When working with aluminum the area next to a weld is give or take abuot 50% as strong due to heat effect and stress risers. Butt...
When working with aluminum the area next to a weld is give or take abuot 50% as strong due to heat effect and stress risers.

Butt welding aluminum with 90 degree cut-joints is not strong. Just about every conversion I've seen is done in this way.

If you look at any stock bike you'll see they cut the tubing and components at big angles to increase the length of the weld and thus spread the stress out over a larger area. Most of those conversions just look sketchy to me.

This:

======||=======

is nowhere near as strong as this:

======//=======

Some places on the production bike frames even have a V cutline or diamond cut-line at the welds:

======>>======
A solid piece (yes I know its round, it's all I had for an example) tying the halves together (the gap is exaggerated) along with rossette welds is how I've seen it done. Zero failures. You couldn't pay me enough money to ride an aftermarket AF build with butt welds, regardless of their angle.

3/14/2013 5:54pm
The Paul Stoffer's frames just replace the entire cradle. Hands down the nicest out there. As if it came from the factory.

The Shop

Post a reply to: MPS Does it Again!

The Latest