MMI az school

Clapped
10/19/2011 1:48pm
Save your money and time. Get a lot tech or parts guy position at your local shop and make friends with the mechanics. Offer to help them organise their area. Clean their lift for them, Get them their parts asap. It's been my experience that when techs can trust a lot tech, they will let you help them with their jobs. Now that might only be oil changes and tires for a while, but one day you might walk in and the techs are slammed and someone needs their 2 stroke top end replaced. Show that you can do that, and get more expeirence. That's how we promoted lot techs to techs at our shop. If we hired an MMI grad, he was considered low C tech untill he could prove his worth. That means oil changes, tires, and all around grief work.

I graduated MMI in 2007 with the dream of wrenching for a privateer and touring the country in a box van. Fast forward 4 years and I'm a service writer at a small BMW motorcycle dealership. I moved to Phoenix from Colorado in 2005 and started working for a local dealership. I moved up through the ranks without ever making a penny turning a wrench. I started out as a lot tech and was an asistant manager before the economy went south. Worked at Mercedes-Benz and then went back to the shop and did the parts side of things for a while before transfering to where I am now. I'm 25 years old and make enough to support myself and the old lady. We're not ballin by any means, but we get the bills paid, she gets to shop and I get to ride. Point being, I got where I am now without the help of MMI. But since I had a dream and part of that dream included MMI, I'm now 20k in debt.

I guees what I'm trying to say is save your money and dissapointment and get a job at a local shop. You'll gain more knowledge and experience there than you will paying 20k to go to school.
10/19/2011 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 8:00pm
I used to be good friends with one of the lead instructors at the MMI Orlando campus. Met him at the local short track races where we were both racing. His bike was the most unsanitary, rigged, POS for a race bike. Had 7/8" handlebar clamps on the frame tubes which had a couple of straps of flat bar ran to the engine for motor mounts on a Champion frame. He went on to become the head instructor for the Harley Davidson side of the school.

I don't think I would let him tighten the gas cap on my bike, let alone anything requiring a wrench. Do not disregard the personal water craft side of the power sports industry. In the summer months , I made way more money on the ski's than the bikes. Be versatile, and you can flag some good money between the bikes,atv,and pwc.

Never went to any schools, but the dealer sent us to several Yamaha tech seminars. Made a good friend who was a veteran mechanic at the shop, who taught me more real world lessons on wrenching that I
will always be grateful for. The shop was the only one in town that would work on the old Triumphs, BSA's ,and Nortons, and John was one of the best at working on them.

He's not around anymore, but I always think about his problem solving methods when I come to a stumbling point when wrenching. RIP, John, and thanks for everything.
mxpunk
10/19/2011 8:25pm
hey chris...what rider did you wrench for???

Looks like a dope setup....garage full of practice bikes and a race track next to the house. $400 a week is good when everything else is covered..how bad could it have been??
10/19/2011 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 8:54pm
In those pictures it was for Chad Charbonneau. His dad is the silent owner of MTF and GPF. It was great down there but once we moved back to New Hampshire, for the race season everything changed. His dad put a ton of pressure on him and his attitude turned for the worst. I believe he didn't want to ride anymore and only did cause his dad made him. It got to the point where he would pull off for any reason at all and complain about anything possible. I couldn't take it anymore and moved on to another ride with more heart. He quit last year and now works for his dad in the paving business.

The Shop

mxpunk
10/19/2011 9:03pm
In those pictures it was for Chad Charbonneau. His dad is the silent owner of MTF and GPF. It was great down there but once we...
In those pictures it was for Chad Charbonneau. His dad is the silent owner of MTF and GPF. It was great down there but once we moved back to New Hampshire, for the race season everything changed. His dad put a ton of pressure on him and his attitude turned for the worst. I believe he didn't want to ride anymore and only did cause his dad made him. It got to the point where he would pull off for any reason at all and complain about anything possible. I couldn't take it anymore and moved on to another ride with more heart. He quit last year and now works for his dad in the paving business.
I thought the Millsaps owned MTF??

Thats gotta suck to be on the receiving end of that....I don't feel bad for the kid but I would be dissapointed if my father ruined something I loved to the point where i just didnt even want to do it anymore..but apparently that is pretty common in this sport.

MX is a tough sport!!
10/19/2011 9:19pm
mxpunk wrote:
I thought the Millsaps owned MTF?? Thats gotta suck to be on the receiving end of that....I don't feel bad for the kid but I would...
I thought the Millsaps owned MTF??

Thats gotta suck to be on the receiving end of that....I don't feel bad for the kid but I would be dissapointed if my father ruined something I loved to the point where i just didnt even want to do it anymore..but apparently that is pretty common in this sport.

MX is a tough sport!!
No Rick Charbonneau bought it all and put it in Chad's name. MTF and GPF are leased to the Woods and Millsaps.

Yeah he was so tough on him even when he won his dad would never say good job or be happy. Only negative comments like, you sucked in this part of the track or why did you only win by 20 seconds. Never once was anyone smiling, joking or happy when the father was around. I actually felt bad for Chad cause you could see how much it effected him. But then after knowing what he has been handed to him his whole life, I no longer felt sorry for him!

So that 250F that I built above, how much do you think it cost, retail price? He got his 250F's for 6K from Keene motorsports new.
mxpunk
10/19/2011 9:24pm
im going to say 20K if the suspension was setup properly...A-kit stuff is legit but if they spent the $$ and had a pro suspension guy come out and get it dialed im sure it could cross the 20K mark.
mxer146
10/19/2011 9:27pm
My story is very similar to Chris's. Worked in a dealer for three years as a lot/C tech(Roseville Yamaha). Quit to travel all the nationals with a privateer for very little pay (20%). After nationals, went to MMI. Only took the Yamaha program because in my eyes, they're all the same, just different colors. Graduated with a 4.0, perfect attendance and multiple honors awards all while working for a race team for the nationals during school. I would take morning classes Friday, fly out and stay up all night framing the race bike. Races sat/sun and a Monday morning flight for Monday night class. After school, the offers were few and far between. I took a job with a family in northern California. 3 kids that all raced and practiced 4-5 days a week. The pay was pretty good for a single guy with few bills ($600/wk). All expenses and living paid. I had a blast going to all the amateur nationals and traveling the whole country. Got pretty burnt out on all the travel and work that goes along with it. Quit and never looked back.

I guess long story short, it's all about what you put into it, but don't expect too much.
EvanR127
10/19/2011 9:28pm
Between $35k and 50K....ofcourse without testing time
10/19/2011 9:30pm
Chad's track in New Hampshire is where factory connection tests. He had 7 sets of A kit and did private testing with Ziggy all the time. (Ziggy owns FC).

Anyway, 10K for the A kit and when I totaled up everything the bike came to 35K! He had a bunch of the titanium bolt kits for every bike and those were 5K to save 5 pounds! That bike was the ultimate privateer bike.
EvanR127
10/19/2011 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 9:32pm
Sounds like it would be an awesome experience for a couple of years but definitely not a career choice to be a pro mechanic.
10/19/2011 9:33pm
mxer146 wrote:
My story is very similar to Chris's. Worked in a dealer for three years as a lot/C tech(Roseville Yamaha). Quit to travel all the nationals with...
My story is very similar to Chris's. Worked in a dealer for three years as a lot/C tech(Roseville Yamaha). Quit to travel all the nationals with a privateer for very little pay (20%). After nationals, went to MMI. Only took the Yamaha program because in my eyes, they're all the same, just different colors. Graduated with a 4.0, perfect attendance and multiple honors awards all while working for a race team for the nationals during school. I would take morning classes Friday, fly out and stay up all night framing the race bike. Races sat/sun and a Monday morning flight for Monday night class. After school, the offers were few and far between. I took a job with a family in northern California. 3 kids that all raced and practiced 4-5 days a week. The pay was pretty good for a single guy with few bills ($600/wk). All expenses and living paid. I had a blast going to all the amateur nationals and traveling the whole country. Got pretty burnt out on all the travel and work that goes along with it. Quit and never looked back.

I guess long story short, it's all about what you put into it, but don't expect too much.
I found that when I was a full time mechanic working everyday with a rider, it was more of a baby sitting job that changes parts for a brat. Being a race bike mechanic on the weekends was way better! Also, it always felt like I loved motocross more or wanted the riders to succeed more than the rider himself.
mxer146
10/19/2011 9:39pm
mxer146 wrote:
My story is very similar to Chris's. Worked in a dealer for three years as a lot/C tech(Roseville Yamaha). Quit to travel all the nationals with...

I found that when I was a full time mechanic working everyday with a rider, it was more of a baby sitting job that changes parts...
I found that when I was a full time mechanic working everyday with a rider, it was more of a baby sitting job that changes parts for a brat. Being a race bike mechanic on the weekends was way better! Also, it always felt like I loved motocross more or wanted the riders to succeed more than the rider himself.
I hear ya there. When I was doing race bikes I was doing the practice bikes as well back in Phoenix. Not much better than. Ring paid to go to the races though.
mxpunk
10/19/2011 9:47pm
Chad's track in New Hampshire is where factory connection tests. He had 7 sets of A kit and did private testing with Ziggy all the time...
Chad's track in New Hampshire is where factory connection tests. He had 7 sets of A kit and did private testing with Ziggy all the time. (Ziggy owns FC).

Anyway, 10K for the A kit and when I totaled up everything the bike came to 35K! He had a bunch of the titanium bolt kits for every bike and those were 5K to save 5 pounds! That bike was the ultimate privateer bike.
$70K in suspension alone?? BlinkBlinkBlinkBlinkBlink

I think the average privateer probably has one kit on a race bike that never gets ridden then just rides the piss out of a practice bike LOL

Was it all 250F's or did he have fully worked 450s too???

I'd imagine building a competitive 450 is easier on the wallet ....
10/19/2011 9:55pm
mxpunk wrote:
$70K in suspension alone?? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: I think the average privateer probably has one kit on a race bike that never gets ridden...

I think the average privateer probably has one kit on a race bike that never gets ridden then just rides the piss out of a practice bike LOL

Like I said, unlimited budget and spare no expense! When I left he had 2 local race bikes which are the ones you see! Plus, 3 practice bikes, one 250 and two 450s. One AMA national 450 bike and one 450 Canadian national bike. Every single bike was done to the max except the practice bikes didn't have titanium bolt kits for the resell purpose.
mxpunk
10/19/2011 10:10pm
mxpunk wrote:
$70K in suspension alone?? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: I think the average privateer probably has one kit on a race bike that never gets ridden...

Like I said, unlimited budget and spare no expense! When I left he had 2 local race bikes which are the ones you see! Plus, 3...
Like I said, unlimited budget and spare no expense! When I left he had 2 local race bikes which are the ones you see! Plus, 3 practice bikes, one 250 and two 450s. One AMA national 450 bike and one 450 Canadian national bike. Every single bike was done to the max except the practice bikes didn't have titanium bolt kits for the resell purpose.
FML!!
andymoto
10/19/2011 10:25pm
In those pictures it was for Chad Charbonneau. His dad is the silent owner of MTF and GPF. It was great down there but once we...
Someone told me that Chad runs Jolly Rogers in NH after inquiring if it was still open for biz.

Me and Scott were there for one of those in between Nat races later '90s and the track was very cool.
SEEMEFIRST
10/20/2011 12:58am
newmann wrote:
Okay kawimoto, how many fingers chain slack on this bike right here? Looks tight in the picture doesn't it? [img]https://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/BMW/2009_G450X/G450X_Gallery/images/BMW_G450X_LHF_700p.jpg[/img]
Okay kawimoto, how many fingers chain slack on this bike right here? Looks tight in the picture doesn't it?

Cygnus wrote:
Har! Good one Newman. Might as well dump this thread. This kid has already made up his mind it seems.
Here's another he can mull over...
10/20/2011 6:25am
andymoto wrote:
Someone told me that Chad runs Jolly Rogers in NH after inquiring if it was still open for biz. Me and Scott were there for one...
Someone told me that Chad runs Jolly Rogers in NH after inquiring if it was still open for biz.

Me and Scott were there for one of those in between Nat races later '90s and the track was very cool.
No his father is part owner of the track but as far as I know, they have nothing to do with running it.

Post a reply to: MMI az school

The Latest