MM25 Progression

drok577
Fantasy
619th
12/28/2017 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 5:46am
Who cares about the off season success that Marvin has had, it makes no difference aside from confidence. If your a true fan you will have seen the obvious aggression and speed difference between from his rookie 450 year (2016) to his sophomore year (2017) indoors and out.
His 450 Supercross career so far is very comparable to his 250 Supercross career. His first year (2012) he looked stiff and timid and although close didn't capture a win just like in 2016. Second year (2013) once he figured it out he won 4 of the last 6. In his third year (2015) he dominated the championship winning 6 races.
In 2018 I see Marvin getting great starts, being very consistent, winning about 5 races and being competitive for the title.
|
Forty
12/28/2017 3:33pm
Alright sir.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
12/28/2017 3:42pm
Who cares?

Marvin does. KTM does. Red Bull does. Thor does. Mathilde does. Airoh...

Anyway, you get the idea.

He scored his first 450 win last season. It won't be his last.
motogrady
12/28/2017 3:55pm

I dunno dude.
Seems a guy kinda hits a peak for a few years in this sport, then, for a lot of reasons, levels off.
Dungey, RC, might have been the exceptions.

I'm thinking it's gonna be a Tomac/MM slugfest, with it all coming down to #3 not crashing out.
Tomac stays up, he wins it.
Not, it's Marvins to lose.
Phantom 661
12/28/2017 5:31pm
I was just posting in the Tomac thread how Marvin has gained both speed and confidence last season.
There's not a doubt in my mind he will win races in 2018. Marvin stepped up his game and has addapted to the 450 very well. His improvements are plain as day. Don't know how his SX season will pan out but he's definitely leveled up a notch.

The Shop

byke
12/28/2017 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2017 5:35pm
I don't understand the OP. Normally, you'd say who cares about X and then post something to the contrary. In this case, both the building of his career in the last couple years and his recent off season success are in complete alignment.
jeffro503
12/28/2017 6:11pm
Yeah , I don't get the " who cares " part of the OP , but Marv will be tough to beat this next year. The guy has gotten better and better every year he's been here , especially SX. It WILL be a slug fest this year and I see Marv up there fighting for this title just as much as anyone else.
dboivin
12/28/2017 6:23pm
i'm not a huge marvin fan but if anyone doesn't see him as a title contender, they're not watching very closely. smoothest, consistently fast guy on the track IMO. should be good season to watch.
bents
Fantasy
694th
12/28/2017 7:59pm
I really like both MM and ET. Both humble hard working guys and will be happy for either one to win, and I do think it will come down to these two in the end. Kenny will be a spoiler and will win, but in the end if I have to put my own cash on the top 2, its these two. Whoever manages to limit the damage on the bad nights the best will win, and the margin between MM and ET is slim for sure.
APLMAN99
12/28/2017 8:14pm
After Musquin's rookie season here, I really thought that he'd end up settling into that "next tier" kind of rider that would struggle to eventually finish inside the top 5 when he got to the 450 class. I was hoping for better for him, but he just didn't seem so have "it" when it came to aggressiveness and such.

I'm glad that he's proven me wrong!
Bronson905
Fantasy
889th
12/28/2017 9:38pm
I strongly believe Marvin is going to be your 2018 AMA and FIM World SX Champ Smile
BobKerr
12/29/2017 5:43am
I think that Marvin will be better in 2018, but not good enough to beat Eli. Look at how many wins each of them got in 2017. Eli will be better in 2018 too.
aroark247
12/30/2017 8:58am
Bronson905 wrote:
I strongly believe Marvin is going to be your 2018 AMA and FIM World SX Champ Smile
I don't get the sentiment that Musquin is even a favorite to win the championship. Eli was the cream of the crop in SX last year, and then won the outdoor championship. The fashion he finished outdoors in (although he still won the title) should not be indicative to how he will do in SX a year later.

Every time Dungey won the title in the same fashion, his fanboys were praising his smarts about managing a championship and calling him a favorite to take it all the next year. But, when Tomac did the same thing at the end of this summer... it's all Marvin this, and Marvin that.

I like Marvin a ton, but I don't see the reasoning in the sudden infatuation with him being a hands down favorite.
12/30/2017 9:06am
drok577 wrote:
Who cares about the off season success that Marvin has had, it makes no difference aside from confidence. If your a true fan you will have...
Who cares about the off season success that Marvin has had, it makes no difference aside from confidence. If your a true fan you will have seen the obvious aggression and speed difference between from his rookie 450 year (2016) to his sophomore year (2017) indoors and out.
His 450 Supercross career so far is very comparable to his 250 Supercross career. His first year (2012) he looked stiff and timid and although close didn't capture a win just like in 2016. Second year (2013) once he figured it out he won 4 of the last 6. In his third year (2015) he dominated the championship winning 6 races.
In 2018 I see Marvin getting great starts, being very consistent, winning about 5 races and being competitive for the title.
"It makes no difference aside from confidence..."

Um, ok... seeing as "confidence" is about the single most important separator between elite level athletes in any sport, it should play no factor whatsoever. Whistling
motogrady
12/30/2017 9:13am
Bronson905 wrote:
aroark247 wrote:
I don't get the sentiment that Musquin is even a favorite to win the championship. Eli was the cream of the crop in SX last year...
I don't get the sentiment that Musquin is even a favorite to win the championship. Eli was the cream of the crop in SX last year, and then won the outdoor championship. The fashion he finished outdoors in (although he still won the title) should not be indicative to how he will do in SX a year later.

Every time Dungey won the title in the same fashion, his fanboys were praising his smarts about managing a championship and calling him a favorite to take it all the next year. But, when Tomac did the same thing at the end of this summer... it's all Marvin this, and Marvin that.

I like Marvin a ton, but I don't see the reasoning in the sudden infatuation with him being a hands down favorite.

Well, thing is, MM has never been known as a crasher.
And he has slowly acquired the speed of a Tomac.
Without crashing a lot.

Whereas, With Tomac, it's like you're on the end of the seat watching him race.
I know I'm relieved when he crosses the finish line.

Who u gonna get behind?
The guy that was always fast but still crashes, or the guy that's coming up to speed that doesn't?
Forty
12/30/2017 9:20am
Bronson905 wrote:
aroark247 wrote:
I don't get the sentiment that Musquin is even a favorite to win the championship. Eli was the cream of the crop in SX last year...

motogrady wrote:
Well, thing is, MM has never been known as a crasher. And he has slowly acquired the speed of a Tomac. Without crashing a lot. Whereas...

Without crashing a lot.

Who u gonna get behind?
The guy that was always fast but still crashes, or the guy that's coming up to speed that doesn't?
Agreed....MM is the better bet....he will give Eli all he can handle and more on occasion.

I like these 2 as front runners going in however cannot discount the talent that is right there with them this year....it's a year IMO where many more can make an appearance on the box including a big step up for a few that have been lurking in the 5-10 spot.

Johnny Ringo
12/30/2017 9:20am
Those thinking Marv is the second coming of dunge are mistaken. He has his bad races like everyone else.

Should be a good season. Ken is my pick but I’m sure it will be a battle. I’d like to see Coop snag a win.
downard254
12/30/2017 9:25am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2017 9:26am
For the guys saying that Marv just wasn’t one of THE guys last season, I think that being the 2nd rider on the team behind Dungey May have played at least a small part. Of course maybe not, what do I know.
Forty
12/30/2017 9:45am
He was a tweaked knee away from winning the outdoors this year ..the guy is for real.
dirtnapper
12/30/2017 6:38pm
I have a feeling we will be seeing a new ( very fast ) Marvin this season.
TeamGreen
12/30/2017 8:34pm
dirtnapper wrote:
I have a feeling we will be seeing a new ( very fast ) Marvin this season.
We already have...so, I agree. But, I'm not going to be surprised when "21" & "4" crush it, too. Deano will probably surprise us, also.
mxb2
12/30/2017 8:46pm
Forty wrote:
He was a tweaked knee away from winning the outdoors this year ..the guy is for real.
And eli was a few bike problems away from a runaway title win. If doesn't count.
mxb2
12/30/2017 8:47pm
Bronson905 wrote:
aroark247 wrote:

motogrady wrote:
Well, thing is, MM has never been known as a crasher. And he has slowly acquired the speed of a Tomac. Without crashing a lot. Whereas...

Without crashing a lot.

Who u gonna get behind?
Guess you missed Ironman, Marvin crashed alone while leading.
12/30/2017 8:47pm
He's really grown and progressed a lot since his first 450 season.
RbR
12/30/2017 9:26pm
Bronson905 wrote:
IMO, a healthy MM wins both SX and MX titles this year ...
Forty
12/30/2017 9:34pm
Forty wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
And eli was a few bike problems away from a runaway title win. If doesn't count.
Mrs. Tomac?
cbuehler767
12/31/2017 4:39am
aroark247 wrote:

Don't compare Tomac's outdoor title to the way Dungey won. RD managed the way to a title by taking second to Villopoto if he had to. He might take a 3rd sometimes. Not even close to how Tomac got smoked on the regular last summer. I'm a Tomac fan jus sayin
HenryA
12/31/2017 5:02am
mxb2 wrote:
Guess you missed Ironman, Marvin crashed alone while leading.
Yeah I remember. Marvin was pretty much the only rider who had anything for Herlings that day.
ATKpilot99
12/31/2017 5:11am
HenryA wrote:
Yeah I remember. Marvin was pretty much the only rider who had anything for Herlings that day.
I think there will be a lot of days this season in the GPs where no one has anything for him.
Phantom 661
12/31/2017 11:42am
Bronson905 wrote:
aroark247 wrote:

Basicly this thread is about Marvins "progression" over the past year. Most here are beng reasonable in there evaluations and opinions I believe. Its my opinion that niether Marvin or Eli are the next Dungey. The fanboy in me (along with RD's stats) would never allow such a notion.

Post a reply to: MM25 Progression

The Latest