ML512 - any long term testing on the Supertech S-M10 Helmet?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2019 10:31 PM

ML,

I'm helmet shopping and noticed the S-M10 looks really good on paper. It looks like Astars checked all the boxes from a safety and engineering standpoint. I like the concept, the adjustability, and I especially like the fact that they have a different shell size for each helmet size. Have you been wearing this lid long enough to provide feedback? Anyone else run this helmet?

https://www.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Helmets,24/Alpinestars/Supertech-S-M10,16383#product-reviews/842/expand

|

1/18/2019 4:25 AM

I don’t have a huge amount of time in my personal one but I’ve sold quite a number of them and haven’t had any issues. The vast majority of people fit the helmet well and the adjustability is awesome. It flows a ton of air too and is crazy light. I’ve weighed it against the main competitors and it’s usually a half a pound or more lighter. If you do off-road the ability to integrate hydration is awesome too.

|

1/18/2019 5:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 6:23 AM

Ohh I’ve got probably about 15 hours in one so far, I’m pretty happy overall with it. Light, good ventilation (there’s better on the market but it’s still good) figment is right what I expect from my medium helmets. Good up top but I need slightly thicker cheek pads, that’s just typical for me and helmets. The three point liner clip system seems to be helpful in adjusting the helmets angle on your head and reducing issues with goggles. I've had a few guys mess around with it when they were having goggle fit issues and moving the helmet up or down with that system helped a lot depending upon their issue. Overall I haven’t found a reason to not grab one. I like the removable visor system a bit more than the Fox design And the SM-10 includes a spare in the bag. The only gripe I guess I have is the cheep pad posts are a pain to clip back in properly once the pad has been out.

|

1/18/2019 5:47 AM

ML, the +5mm cheek pads should finally be available soon.

|

1/18/2019 5:54 AM

ML512 wrote:

Ohh I’ve got probably about 15 hours in one so far, I’m pretty happy overall with it. Light, good ventilation (there’s better on the market but it’s still good) figment is right what I expect from my medium helmets. Good up top but I need slightly thicker cheek pads, that’s just typical for me and helmets. The three point liner clip system seems to be helpful in adjusting the helmets angle on your head and reducing issues with goggles. I've had a few guys mess around with it when they were having goggle fit issues and moving the helmet up or down with that system helped a lot depending upon their issue. Overall I haven’t found a reason to not grab one. I like the removable visor system a bit more than the Fox design And the SM-10 includes a spare in the bag. The only gripe I guess I have is the cheep pad posts are a pain to clip back in properly once the pad has been out.

ok glad Im not the only who struggled with these cheek pads.

|

1/18/2019 6:03 AM

ML512 wrote:

DTR830 wrote:

Yeah they aren’t the easiest to install. With practice it’s not as bad. I’ve taken apart and put back together these helmets literally a hundred times so I’m pretty well practiced now lol.

|

1/18/2019 6:16 AM

Frigging love my SM10.. fits my melon like a glove..

Photo

Photo

|

1/18/2019 6:22 AM

DTR830 wrote:

HA, ditto. I was a little pissed at them the other day, I could get two posts locked in but was struggling with getting a third in without accidentally unclipping one of the others. I wish more high-end helmets had a magnet system like the Bell.

|

1/18/2019 6:25 AM

Spooner wrote:

I got some the other day. It's super typical with me and medium helmets, I have fairly thin cheek structure I guess, so bumping up the cheek pads is something I do in about 90% of helmets.

|

1/18/2019 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll be ordering one.

|

1/18/2019 10:28 PM

ML512 wrote:

DTR830 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

HA, ditto. I was a little pissed at them the other day, I could get two posts locked in but was struggling with getting a third in without accidentally unclipping one of the others. I wish more high-end helmets had a magnet system like the Bell.

You know, I have struggled with sliding the cheek pads in to lock in as well, then I just tried to plug the posts into the lock in point and they popped right in there. No messing with sliding one in there and contorting the rest of the pad to slide the others in there. I think that’s what you’re explaining there with getting two clipped in with another one popping out.

|

1/19/2019 2:18 AM

Spooner wrote:

ML512 wrote:

I got some the other day. It's super typical with me and medium helmets, I have fairly thin cheek structure I guess, so bumping up the cheek pads is something I do in about 90% of helmets.

Do you know if I can order size Small shoei pads for a medium evo? I have the same problem, fits good at the top of my head but it's too wide around the ears and cheeks

Not meaning to hijack the thread sorry

|

3/11/2019 1:32 PM

ML512 wrote:

DTR830 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

So I feel like an idiot, you don't have to slot the posts back in, you can just push them into the smaller opening of the slot and they snap right back in. I noticed today when cleaning my helmet from the mudder yesterday that the posts of the cheek pads have a slot in them. That allows them to flex inwards to let them snap into the hole without sliding them back into place. I'm sure others figured this out before now but thought I'd update this thread because it looks like at least us 3 didn't see that before.

|

3/11/2019 1:42 PM

DTR830 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Spooner wrote:

So I feel like an idiot, you don't have to slot the posts back in, you can just push them into the smaller opening of the slot and they snap right back in. I noticed today when cleaning my helmet from the mudder yesterday that the posts of the cheek pads have a slot in them. That allows them to flex inwards to let them snap into the hole without sliding them back into place. I'm sure others figured this out before now but thought I'd update this thread because it looks like at least us 3 didn't see that before.

I was reading this post and I was about to say, the posts just plug back in without sliding. I struggled with mine too until I accidentally just plugged the pad in one time after about a month of wearing it and washing the pads. After that it’s easy to maintain. I love mine and will get another should the need ever come up. Or five years, whatever comes first.

|

3/11/2019 1:45 PM

New helmets need to copy the magnet system Bell uses. It is absolutely the best.

|