ML512-Any chance of a part II...

Moto88
9/16/2017 10:39am
I think most everyone agrees excellent shootout done w stock bikes (read your reason-for average rider who doesn't change a thing). But what about the others who are willing to spend more to "fix" the any fixable "flaws"? Say each bike (if it helped) got revalved, bars, sprocket changes, pipes, cam, this and that whatever but kept to realistic $ amount say maybe 2-5k? Then did the same shootout same riders same tracks? Yes very time consuming but I'm guessing you will be doing that anyways to most bikes?. I am guessing that a lot of riders would be interested in how each performed from what you fealt improved each bike and how it compared to the rest. I would hope the factories would take notes too. Anyways thank you for the shootout. Anyone else interested in a "dialed in" shootout?
|
mx317
9/16/2017 10:45am
Good grief
TeamGreen
9/16/2017 10:51am
There's already been a discussion about doing this...

I want to take a shot at the RMZ. The ergos are excellent, you can REALLY move around on it, the motor is still the same ol' bullet-proof torque-master and it should be REALLY easy to pull 3-5 pounds off of it. Also, historically, the RM-Zs respond REALLY WELL to a pipe.

Michael and I are taking a look at this one over the next few weeks.
mx317
9/16/2017 10:55am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 10:58am
There are so many variables in something like this. Which pipe, which suspension company, which bars, what gearing, etc. I love to see a good mod bike report, but to do a shootout between bikes it doesn't seem to reliable. Some bike respond better to certain pipes, some companies specialize in certain brands of suspension. Where would you stop?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/16/2017 11:04am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 11:05am
Too many variables, especially with suspension. Who does the bike get setup for if the whole group will retest and what brand of pipes get used? Also, I can't get access to all the bikes again for something like that. The OEMs would probably be asking what kind of consistency there would be across these mods so their bike isn't left at a disadvantage or something...we'd have to own the bikes to go forward with a full fledge modded Shootout. Bars and other cockpit related changes would also suit some riders more than others in our test.

The Shop

TeamGreen
9/16/2017 11:10am
ML512 wrote:
Too many variables, especially with suspension. Who does the bike get setup for if the whole group will retest and what brand of pipes get used...
Too many variables, especially with suspension. Who does the bike get setup for if the whole group will retest and what brand of pipes get used? Also, I can't get access to all the bikes again for something like that. The OEMs would probably be asking what kind of consistency there would be across these mods so their bike isn't left at a disadvantage or something...we'd have to own the bikes to go forward with a full fledge modded Shootout. Bars and other cockpit related changes would also suit some riders more than others in our test.
It would be fair to say that while were not talking about a "Modified Shootout"...we are still working on a few solutions...

Wouldn't it?
DoctorJD
9/16/2017 11:30am
If I spend $9000 on a bike, that sumbitch better not need any new parts/mods to match the performance of the other bikes in its class.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/16/2017 11:31am
ML512 wrote:
Too many variables, especially with suspension. Who does the bike get setup for if the whole group will retest and what brand of pipes get used...
TeamGreen wrote:
It would be fair to say that while were not talking about a "Modified Shootout"...we are still working on a few solutions...

Wouldn't it?
Ehh, just like anything else we'll test parts and report improvements. I just want to be clear so someone doesn't miss-construed it as another Shootout happening.
Moto88
9/16/2017 12:13pm
mx317 wrote:
There are so many variables in something like this. Which pipe, which suspension company, which bars, what gearing, etc. I love to see a good mod...
There are so many variables in something like this. Which pipe, which suspension company, which bars, what gearing, etc. I love to see a good mod bike report, but to do a shootout between bikes it doesn't seem to reliable. Some bike respond better to certain pipes, some companies specialize in certain brands of suspension. Where would you stop?
Yeah I get the too many variables, I was thinking whatever worked best for any bike, for example meaning each bike could have a different brand pipe. The valving I get too, not one for all testers. Maybe ML just you as so many say they are good w your opinion (not that the other testers are less) but for valving purposes. True, where would you stop? Hence capping off a mod total at (example 5k). OK so it wont happen (understandable) but thought i'd ask.

Moto88
9/16/2017 12:16pm
mx317 wrote:
Good grief
What happened to "Take it to the limit, one more time"? (JK) Wink
mx317
9/16/2017 12:29pm
mx317 wrote:
Good grief
Moto88 wrote:
What happened to "Take it to the limit, one more time"? (JK) Wink
Sorry, that came across a little different than I meant for it to.

Post a reply to: ML512-Any chance of a part II...

The Latest