MEC vs SX Purse Money

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2013 9:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2013 9:08 PM

Not including the chance of winning a million dollars...

Why can MEC pay such a higher purse payout versus a normal AMA SX race? 1st place at MEC is $100k, while SX is $12k.

Similarities:
-Sold out stadiums
-Live TV coverage.

Differences:
-MEC had more classes (Amateurs/ Mini) which might equal more "pay to race" money?
-Hype around the Million which might have equal more TV viewers?

Does this show what Feld is able to pay but chooses not to?

Opinions?

|

1/24/2013 9:11 PM

are you sure you are cool enough to be running around here makin' posts and all that? what yer step sonny!

|

1/24/2013 9:16 PM

You have to win all 3 heats and qualifier too. It's probably done by insurance policy, basically insure themselves against someone sweeping and if they do, insurance company pays.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/24/2013 9:20 PM

captmoto wrote:

You have to win all 3 heats and qualifier too. It's probably done by insurance policy, basically insure themselves against ...more

I said I am not talking about the million you buffoon!

The million is obviously an insurance plan...

|

1/24/2013 9:24 PM

I was under the impression that monster kicks in extra for the MEC, it is kinda a giant Monster Energy Festival

|

1/24/2013 9:36 PM

crashnburn11 wrote:

I was under the impression that monster kicks in extra for the MEC, it is kinda a giant Monster Energy Festival

Exactly what I thought. In saying that, I am sure Feld could pay a lot more in prize money. It seems though that the people that organise these events are worth more money than the actual racers who bring the crowds in the gate. Same old story, nothing is gonna change.

|

November 13th, Forever in our memories !!

1/24/2013 9:46 PM

crashnburn11 wrote:

SwapperMX wrote:

Exactly what I thought. In saying that, I am sure Feld could pay a lot more in prize money. It seems though that the people ...more

The reason why they don't pay the riders more is because they don't have any incentive to. They are really the only game in town and consistently have full gates. It's simple economics.

|

1/24/2013 10:07 PM

captmoto wrote:

You have to win all 3 heats and qualifier too. It's probably done by insurance policy, basically insure themselves against ...more

RM127 wrote:

I said I am not talking about the million you buffoon!

The million is obviously an insurance plan...

RM127 The million isnt an insurance plan. its Monster's money. When you have a rider like RV in the field that has a supper high win percentage the insurance is to expensive. Its a better gamble to take the chance. Why spend an additional $300-450K for a policy and then someone doesnt win. Over a period of time not chosing a policy would certainly pay off.

|

1/24/2013 10:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2013 12:10 AM

If anything, they 250 guys should get a larger slice of the pie....

From the 2012 purse pay out

450 Total Purse payout (over 16 rounds) = $1,340,235
250 Total Purse payout (over 16 rounds + $5000 E/W Shootout winner bonus) = $286,300

450 Year end points standings total payout (top 20) = $350,000
250 Year end points standings total payout = Not specified

TOTAL for 2012 Supercross Payout = $1,976,535

*This is excluding Daytona and 250 year end payout, which are not specified
*Also excluding $6250 LCQ bonuses for each class

|

Mike

1/24/2013 11:31 PM

Old School Racer wrote:

RM127 The million isnt an insurance plan. its Monster's money. When you have a rider like RV in the field that has a supper ...more

^^^ that.

|

1/25/2013 5:39 AM

The MEC is a one-off Monster owned and run event, top to bottom, no different than one of the many Red Bull Series events...Crashed Ice, Bullfighters, Air Races, etc...

There are no other sponsors on a haybale or sign inside the stadium, it is all Monster, all the time, everywhere.

That's the difference and why.

|

Make sure you down vote!

Not affiliated with any company

1/25/2013 5:53 AM

flarider wrote:

The MEC is a one-off Monster owned and run event, top to bottom, no different than one of the many Red Bull Series ...more

So having one sponsor for the race allows a higher payout that having multiple sponsors for a race????

|

1/25/2013 6:50 AM

Triple 5 pretty much nailed it, Same in flattrack. We race for pennies too. They keep getting away with it because the riders still show up no matter what they get paid.

|

Twist the grip off of it! Slinging parts and service at Marine World.

1/25/2013 8:06 AM

It all goes for beer and hookers anyway. Everybody knows that. Do you want to be responsible for your favorite riders getting more beer and more hookers? Well then.

|

I race for plastic trophies, so get off my back.

1/25/2013 8:12 AM

yak651 wrote:

So having one sponsor for the race allows a higher payout that having multiple sponsors for a race????

It's not having "one sponsor" it's ownership.

Monster OWNS the race, lock, stock and barrel, and can do anything they want in regards to format, layout, location and any pre-race shows and promotions as well as any entertainment during the event.

Again, it's like the events Red Bull owns and operates, like Flugtag, Crashed Ice or Red Bullfighters....they own it,...their game, their rules, their way.

|

Make sure you down vote!

Not affiliated with any company

1/25/2013 11:05 AM

They should pay more prize $ in SX,
But DAVE PRATER knows the talent will keep turning up for his entertainment show / monster commercial / race at the current payout rate.
If the riders & teams were not so self centered they would form a union to push this... however Chad Villo PC Kawi & other Monster riders would never join because they are not gonna bite the hand that feeds them.

|