MEC moving from Vegas to SoCal (Carson)

Kampy
Edited Date/Time 1/4/2020 1:59pm
I wasn't expecting that announcement, but speaking as a SoCal resident, I'm stoked on it!

I think the venue Dignity Heath Center (aka Home Depot / StubHub center) is a good fit for this event– not big enough for a "real" Supercross, but perfect for MEC

The floor area of the venue is probably a bit bigger than Sam Boyd since it was built for soccer (?) I know I've seen a few X Games Freestyle events there and I think RC won an X Games motocross event there too. That venue hosted X Games freestyle events, SuperMoto, motocross, Rally car, etc a lot back in the mid 2000s

I hope this change sticks!

photo of X Games supercross at HD Center in 2009:

|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/3/2020 2:07pm
Honestly, I think this is the beginning of the end of MEC.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/3/2020 2:10pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That was the joker lane.
Kampy
1/3/2020 2:19pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I think the beginning of the end of MEC started years ago and this change of venue could give it a boost

I know I used to drive to Vegas for it, but in recent years I've been like "Meh" not worth the trouble of driving all the way there, getting a room, etc

But now that it's a local race like Anaheim, and will only eat up a few hours of my time rather than 2 full days, I'm all about it.

I'd imagine there are a LOT more SX fans within a couple hrs drive to Carson than there are in Vegas, and that will help sustain the event. Also, most of the teams and OEMs are local to Carson too, so maybe more riders will show? Maybe?

I think it's a good move

The Shop

Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
1/3/2020 2:23pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
early wrote:
That was the joker lane.
Joker lane has been around for the majority of its existence
BroFoSho
1/3/2020 2:25pm
I would imagine they are moving the event because Sam Boyd Stadium will be undergoing renovations (hence why its the second to the last SX round this year). It'll probably be back in Vegas the next year
BUTWHY?
1/3/2020 2:25pm
Maybe time to up the stakes... million for the Winner and 3 million for the sweep?! Oh wait Feld would actually have to give up some profit for that!
Kampy
1/3/2020 2:26pm
Tony922 wrote:
Have they announced a date for MEC yet?
Saturday, October 10, 2020
tix on sale tomorrow
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/3/2020 2:27pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
early wrote:
That was the joker lane.
Derpin' DJ wrote:
The joker lane was introduced in year 2, after Villopoto won the million.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/3/2020 2:27pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
It's always been a stupid gimmick that didn't add much to the racing unless a guy forgot to take it.
Kampy
1/3/2020 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 2:33pm
BroFoSho wrote:
I would imagine they are moving the event because Sam Boyd Stadium will be undergoing renovations (hence why its the second to the last SX round...
I would imagine they are moving the event because Sam Boyd Stadium will be undergoing renovations (hence why its the second to the last SX round this year). It'll probably be back in Vegas the next year
Really? That's news to me... UNLV football is gonna play at the new Raiders stadium, and last I heard they were still trying to figure out what to do with the Sam Boyd Stadium property, and were even considering demolition

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/sam-boyd-stadiu…
BroFoSho
1/3/2020 2:42pm
BroFoSho wrote:
I would imagine they are moving the event because Sam Boyd Stadium will be undergoing renovations (hence why its the second to the last SX round...
Kampy wrote:
Really? That's news to me... UNLV football is gonna play at the new Raiders stadium, and last I heard they were still trying to figure out...
Really? That's news to me... UNLV football is gonna play at the new Raiders stadium, and last I heard they were still trying to figure out what to do with the Sam Boyd Stadium property, and were even considering demolition

Sorry should have clarified. You are correct.

It could be renovations to keep it going for something. Could be demo, who knows. But I suspect the uncertainty of Sam Boyd is why the Monster Cup has also moved
APLMAN99
1/3/2020 2:50pm
BroFoSho wrote:
Kampy wrote:
Really? That's news to me... UNLV football is gonna play at the new Raiders stadium, and last I heard they were still trying to figure out...

BroFoSho wrote:
Sorry should have clarified. You are correct. It could be renovations to keep it going for something. Could be demo, who knows. But I suspect the...
Sorry should have clarified. You are correct.

It could be renovations to keep it going for something. Could be demo, who knows. But I suspect the uncertainty of Sam Boyd is why the Monster Cup has also moved
It isn't uncertainty, it's a contractual thing. Sam Boyd can't be used for anything, really.

From Wiki:

"The last event at Sam Boyd Stadium is scheduled to be a Monster Energy Supercross race on April 25, 2020. UNLV’s contract with Allegiant Stadium prohibits any events from taking place at the stadium after June 30, 2020, leaving the stadium dormant after that date. The exact future of the stadium remains up in the air, as UNLV officials are considering selling it or demolishing it.[15] "
Kampy
1/3/2020 3:41pm
Where can we read details about this?
about moving MEC to SoCal? Well Dave Prater just announced it at the very end of the press conference, which just ended like an hour ago, so there probably aren't any articles written yet...

He didn't say much other than announcing the date (10/10/20) and venue (Dignity Health Park) and that tix go on sale tomorrow
Kampy
1/3/2020 3:48pm
new venue has about 10K fewer seats than Sam Boyd, but that's probably a good thing. There were a lot of empty seats at MEC 2019
1/3/2020 10:07pm
Tony922 wrote:
Have they announced a date for MEC yet?
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Same weekend as the MXoN. Wink
I thought MdN’s was on the 27 September.
But even so it would have been smart to move the MEC to later in the year....
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/3/2020 11:44pm
2020 Monster Energy Cup
OCT10 7:00 PM

Tickets start at $30

Dignity Health Sports Park
18400 S. Avalon Blvd
Carson, CA
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
1/4/2020 5:38am
early wrote:
It's always been a stupid gimmick that didn't add much to the racing unless a guy forgot to take it.
I like it. Thought it was pretty cool this year how the last lap played out. Definitely added more excitement than there already was with that battle up front.
Danster
1/4/2020 6:01am
If they were smart, try and have it in the Los Angeles Coliseum, work around USC football schedule.
or have it next door at Banc of California Stadium.
The history of the Coliseum, the first ever Supercross race!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/4/2020 7:04am
I wonder if they are moving it here because they will hold races at the new Rams stadium near LAX. Get the audience ready for Supercross?

Me being selfish, I’m excited, but it’s because I live close. Evil
therealhammer
1/4/2020 8:07am
I wonder if they are moving it here because they will hold races at the new Rams stadium near LAX. Get the audience ready for Supercross...
I wonder if they are moving it here because they will hold races at the new Rams stadium near LAX. Get the audience ready for Supercross?

Me being selfish, I’m excited, but it’s because I live close. Evil
It’s because sam Boyd stadium is closing and they can’t fill the new raiders stadium, plain and simple. It’s all about the numbers, smaller venue makes it easier to fill .

kkawboy14
1/4/2020 8:12am
California used to be the State for Fun and Sun now it seems like it has to many rules and regulations for the average mxer
LappedU
1/4/2020 8:20am
Cause Carson has so much more appeal than Vegas, what a joke!
DonM
1/4/2020 8:24am
It’s because sam Boyd stadium is closing and they can’t fill the new raiders stadium, plain and simple. It’s all about the numbers, smaller venue makes...
It’s because sam Boyd stadium is closing and they can’t fill the new raiders stadium, plain and simple. It’s all about the numbers, smaller venue makes it easier to fill .

I think it’s more about the new Raiders stadium will be used by both the Raiders and UNLV and there just aren’t any available weekends...
Spat24
Fantasy
856th
1/4/2020 9:18am
I think the date of 10/10 could be an issue. Usually the race is late October and allows teams and riders a small bit of time to get ready for the new season.. Isnt the beginning of October when teams start up and begin testing? It will be interesting on what riders show up.

Post a reply to: MEC moving from Vegas to SoCal (Carson)

The Latest