MEC Observations

dkg
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 8:50am
Just some thoughts on the event.

PITS/EXHIBITIONS: Very similar to the Supercross pit layout. Easy to get around though crowds increased later in the day. The car drifting and bikes were very entertaining to watch. Overall a good experience. I wasn't worried about autographs so I can't comment on those lines.

TRACK AND STADIUM LAYOUT: Track was excellent. Great viewing areas from all stadium seats I liked the "Monster Mountain". The only area of criticism here is for seats on the left side of the stadium (visitors seating, if you stand at the start facing the opposing end zone) the were a significant number of seats where the Monster finish line obscured vision of the screen used for interviews and to show the racing outside of the stadium. Notwithstanding this comment I felt the facilities and track were exceptional.

EVENTS: The format of the racing, number of events, sequencing of the races, etc. provided nonstop entertainment throughout the evening. To me there seemed there was less dead time than the Supercross events. The different classes were very entertaining.

THE ACTUAL RACES: Villopoto was on rails. Clearly the dominant rider. Dungey was a strong second (though it appeared the change to KTM is still a work in progress). All in all very competitive racing.

Well just some thoughts. I know I was critical in an early topic of the FELD marketing and some non appearing riders. Ignoring those issues, the MEC was a great well executed event.
|
Harry_Gray
10/16/2011 8:03pm
The track was creative (but not without flaws) and I would have eliminated the freestyle competition and the amateur racing. I would have like to seen a 125 race/shootout for the privateer racers to fill in the gaps of the amateur races and freestyle contest. They could have done a two moto format for it, make it for the privateers only and offered a 10K pro purse. It would have made for some interesting racing and filled the pockets of the ones who needed it the most. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good first year effort; That's my two cents on the matter...
Rudeboy119
10/16/2011 8:18pm
nice to see laptimes in the 1:20's instead of the 40's in SX
nix the am races
freestyle im on the fence. I still cant believe Potter pulled an 11 year old trick?!?!?
Live TV!!!!!! Sweet
Hybrid track, pretty damn cool IMO
mxdancer
10/17/2011 9:09am
I only had one problem with the event....Opening ceremonies.....My opninion only, ofcourse. To start..I think our country and our military deserve better than that beat up rendition of the national anthem. I hated it at Anaheim and I disliked it even more this time. I realize that fireworks is part of the opening ceremonies, but this was WAY OVER THE TOP of necessary and became totally annoying after about 10 seconds. Otherwise, I enjoyed all the racing. The Mini and amateur racing was good and a welcome change from the norm. I would have liked to have seen someone make it more interesting to watch up front of the mains, but enjoyed the racing back in the pack. If my stars are in alignment..I would attend again next year. Keep the race format, but do away with alot of that opening ceremony crap. Blink
bogdan912
10/17/2011 10:15am
From the couch on the east coast.

It needs to start earlier, it finished up around 2 that's to late. Especially if you need to be up at 6 to go riding.

The layout was great, I loved the AM races, just wish they showed the whole race not just the final laps..

Overall I thought it was good, hopefully next year we get all the heavy hitters that would make the racing much more exciting.

The Shop

race
10/17/2011 10:43am
From the couch the racing wasn't great as Villo was clearly a level above everyone. I thought there would be more battles with that kind of coin up for grabs. Maybe there was .... but the TV coverage didn't choose to go thru the pack and find it.

Question - would a wider track have made for better racing? More water on the track? Wouldn't mind seeing a 'deep' sand whoops / jumps section out in the parking lot.

I would have liked to see something more done with the Monster Mtn section .... uphill whoops / rollers .... split lanes .... at least a clear inside line top turn and maybe an equal but high banked top turn just to avoid playing follow the leader.

And more dirt ... so they don't hit the plywood right away.

Overall it was interesting. But clearly needed a few AF500s out there. WinkWink
txmxer
10/17/2011 10:48am
race wrote:
From the couch the racing wasn't great as Villo was clearly a level above everyone. I thought there would be more battles with that kind of...
From the couch the racing wasn't great as Villo was clearly a level above everyone. I thought there would be more battles with that kind of coin up for grabs. Maybe there was .... but the TV coverage didn't choose to go thru the pack and find it.

Question - would a wider track have made for better racing? More water on the track? Wouldn't mind seeing a 'deep' sand whoops / jumps section out in the parking lot.

I would have liked to see something more done with the Monster Mtn section .... uphill whoops / rollers .... split lanes .... at least a clear inside line top turn and maybe an equal but high banked top turn just to avoid playing follow the leader.

And more dirt ... so they don't hit the plywood right away.

Overall it was interesting. But clearly needed a few AF500s out there. WinkWink
the only thing that would have made for better racing at the front is to put a rag in the air box for RV or put a 75% throttle stop on the KXF.

The rest of the pack seemed to have some battles that lasted more than a corner.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/17/2011 10:55am
Enjoyed the racing. It will be better with more of the top guys there at full speed (not saying RV would not have won if Dungey's program was established or JS/CR/TC had been there).

Like the three short races vs one long main.

Tinker with the support races and show them more on TV.

Ditch the freesstyle. If they are trying to capture the 8-second attention span Bull Riding fans, the one-shot deal didn't really cut it.
level
10/17/2011 10:57am
I could not believe how long the lap times were. Feld needs to take note of that and make it mandatory for SX to be minimum 1 minute lap times.

I could not believe the front flip tricks in Freestyle. That is just amazing and then also what Loza was attempting to do. I mean holy crap, these guys are pushing the boundaries of freestyle big time.
peelout
10/17/2011 11:10am
Enjoyed the racing. It will be better with more of the top guys there at full speed (not saying RV would not have won if Dungey's...
Enjoyed the racing. It will be better with more of the top guys there at full speed (not saying RV would not have won if Dungey's program was established or JS/CR/TC had been there).

Ditch the freesstyle. If they are trying to capture the 8-second attention span Bull Riding fans, the one-shot deal didn't really cut it.
it's probably a good thing they did 3 shorter races and not one 30 lap main...

at two seconds faster per lap, RV would have lapped everyone but Dungey...
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/17/2011 11:26am
Enjoyed the racing. It will be better with more of the top guys there at full speed (not saying RV would not have won if Dungey's...

peelout wrote:
it's probably a good thing they did 3 shorter races and not one 30 lap main... at two seconds faster per lap, RV would have lapped...
it's probably a good thing they did 3 shorter races and not one 30 lap main...

at two seconds faster per lap, RV would have lapped everyone but Dungey...
Starts are among the best things in racing. The last ten laps of a blowout among the worst.
flarider
10/17/2011 12:52pm
I agree with most of the above but have one program suggestion, if the race is going to be for a million dollars, let's make it a little harder to do. Invert the gate pick order for each subsequent race...last place gets first pick, first place gets last pick.
Why make it easier and easier for the guy up front, make him work for it. It's a million dollar race, add something to make it more difficult. Had RV had to fight through the field a little, rather than holeshot, run away and hide, would have been much better.
And there is no reason Feld can't do same track for each SX finale.
level
10/17/2011 1:12pm
It would of been real interesting to see Dungey get the holeshot and see if Villy could ot roped him down.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
10/17/2011 1:15pm
level wrote:
It would of been real interesting to see Dungey get the holeshot and see if Villy could ot roped him down.
In the final race they started right with each other and Villo gapped him in no time. Unless RV was buried deep in the pack, I really dont see him having any issues

Post a reply to: MEC Observations

The Latest