MC on RV being happy

Grieby54
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2014 7:23pm
From his interview with RacerX:

Villopoto is going to wrap up his fourth straight supercross championship tonight. Is he having fun?

I had a long interview with Villopoto last week, and they’re going to show it in one of these supercross shows, and I asked him, “Hey, are you having fun?” And he couldn’t really answer me. I was a little bit thrown back by that. I was kind of like, “Man, you’re making millions of dollars riding your dirt bike and you’re winning. So what that you have to do motos and you have to train and all that. Try a real job.” They all seem like that. I’m not just singling him out. They all seem like that. Roczen seems like he’s having fun.

Full article here: http://racerxonline.com/2014/04/30/between-the-motos-jeremy-mcgrath
|
peelout
4/30/2014 12:01pm
good interview all around. interesting views on Reed, RV, Stewart, Dungey, etc...

MC is such a badass
IWreckALot
4/30/2014 12:14pm
It really confuses me how RV can really dislike what he's doing while being so dominant at it. I think someone here mentioned it previously that usually when someone's heart isn't in it, their results show.

I personally don't care what RV does. It's his life and he deserves to do whatever he wants. I'm not going to hold my breath on him one way or the other.
Sandberm
4/30/2014 12:20pm
I think we've beaten this to death.
IceMan446
4/30/2014 12:21pm
IWreckALot wrote:
It really confuses me how RV can really dislike what he's doing while being so dominant at it. I think someone here mentioned it previously that...
It really confuses me how RV can really dislike what he's doing while being so dominant at it. I think someone here mentioned it previously that usually when someone's heart isn't in it, their results show.

I personally don't care what RV does. It's his life and he deserves to do whatever he wants. I'm not going to hold my breath on him one way or the other.
The dude loves to win and loves to ride. He wouldnt be at the top of the sport if he didnt.

I think he dislikes everything else that comes with it. The training, the weekly grind and the media/sponsor obligations.

He just doesnt seem like the look at me kind of guy and to do the media stuff along with the program Aldon has him on is something that takes a very special person. Very few can handle that kind of program.

I think the weekly regimen is what he is over at this point.

The Shop

huck
4/30/2014 12:21pm
It seems that MC doesn't understand how much different it is now, compared to when he was racing. It's not parties and riding in the hills for these guys.....
FlaNard
4/30/2014 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2014 12:23pm
Its crazy that MC just giving his honest opinions made me think "Damn, Jeremy is going in hard here!" But once I took another look at it I don't know that there is much I really disagree with him on. But holy hell I wish he had left out the not winning a title for 14 years line. That made me feel like I should be a great grandpa right about now. The guy was the man I wanted to be on a dirtbike in my younger days and just reading that made my back and knees pop a little bit louder the next time I stood up. Laughing

Long live the KING!
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
4/30/2014 12:33pm
I love MC, have nothing but respect for him. Was and still is an idol.

But didn't he make drastic changes to his program back when it became more of a job than fun by going SX only? I thought he was burnt out and wanted to prolong his career.

I would think he would be more understanding of RV and his situation.

Nothing but love to MC, the true GOAT of SX. Just a little baffled at his statements vs. his career path.
Grieby54
4/30/2014 12:37pm
huck wrote:
It seems that MC doesn't understand how much different it is now, compared to when he was racing. It's not parties and riding in the hills...
It seems that MC doesn't understand how much different it is now, compared to when he was racing. It's not parties and riding in the hills for these guys.....
Good call, Huck. I'm sure someone who was a legend in the sport and continues to be far more involved than we could ever hope to be probably doesn't get it.
4/30/2014 12:41pm
Regis wrote:
I love MC, have nothing but respect for him. Was and still is an idol. But didn't he make drastic changes to his program back when...
I love MC, have nothing but respect for him. Was and still is an idol.

But didn't he make drastic changes to his program back when it became more of a job than fun by going SX only? I thought he was burnt out and wanted to prolong his career.

I would think he would be more understanding of RV and his situation.

Nothing but love to MC, the true GOAT of SX. Just a little baffled at his statements vs. his career path.
You're an idiot. You don't know what you're talking about.
huck
4/30/2014 12:46pm
huck wrote:
It seems that MC doesn't understand how much different it is now, compared to when he was racing. It's not parties and riding in the hills...
Grieby54 wrote:
Good call, Huck. I'm sure someone who was a legend in the sport and continues to be far more involved than we could ever hope to...
Good call, Huck. I'm sure someone who was a legend in the sport and continues to be far more involved than we could ever hope to be probably doesn't get it.
I know...it's weird, isn't it? You'd think he'd have a clue......

Maybe he doesn't remember the ass whippings that he was receiving when he made one of his many comebacks...when he wasn't training at the level of guys like RV1.
davistld01
4/30/2014 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2014 12:49pm
Sandberm wrote:
I think we've beaten this to death.
The Vitards have beaten this to death...but for it to come from someone who actually knows what the hell is going on, it's a lot more important. MC knows how it is to step away from the sport that made him rich, and to deal with life on life's terms. RV knows nothing about that. How can he?

Interesting too that MC sees the same guys battling for the title in 2015...and that he sees Dungey going downhill, and not uphill.

Wait...did I just call myself a Vitard???
burnside
4/30/2014 12:49pm
Following our sport would be much more interesting if more people spoke their mind like MC.
norcal3737
4/30/2014 12:53pm
Now that, is an interview.

Excellent responses from MC.
IceMan446
4/30/2014 1:03pm
huck wrote:
Look at Roczen. Same camp, same regimen same trainer.

WAY different outlook and attitude compared to RV. We cant say exactly how RV acts in his personal time though.

But dont blame the training and program for his lack personality on camera.
hasko158
4/30/2014 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2014 1:07pm
Nick Wey said it on Pulp, that how he is on camera or in interviews isn't really how he is. He just doesn't want to show people and doesn't want to say the wrong thing, so he just does and says nothing really.

With that said, I'm not an RV fan at all because of this. I respect his skill, but I will not miss him when he retires.
huck
4/30/2014 1:07pm
huck wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
Look at Roczen. Same camp, same regimen same trainer. WAY different outlook and attitude compared to RV. We cant say exactly how RV acts in his...
Look at Roczen. Same camp, same regimen same trainer.

WAY different outlook and attitude compared to RV. We cant say exactly how RV acts in his personal time though.

But dont blame the training and program for his lack personality on camera.
Look at RV compared to Roczen... ones a 4 time in a row champion...the other is a rookie that faded big time in the championship series...
JW381
4/30/2014 1:18pm
Now that MC agrees with what a few of us have been saying, are we less stupid? To those of you that shit a brick when I said I didn't particularly like the fact that Villopoto doesn't seem to be enjoying himself?
IWreckALot
4/30/2014 1:23pm
JW381 wrote:
Now that MC agrees with what a few of us have been saying, are we less stupid? To those of you that shit a brick when...
Now that MC agrees with what a few of us have been saying, are we less stupid? To those of you that shit a brick when I said I didn't particularly like the fact that Villopoto doesn't seem to be enjoying himself?
This place does seem to go in circles. Someone has an opinion then someone blasts that person for their opinion. Then they call everyone else on the board stupid or a pussy or something and think they're the exception to everyone else on here. I just find the humor in all of it.
4/30/2014 1:24pm
RV reminds me a lot of Casey Stoner who retired from MotoGP in his prime a couple years ago. He's burnt out and doesn't have that driving passion to ride for the sake of riding anymore and clearly has contempt for the grind of racing. He only seems to get enjoyment from winning, not the actual racing.

Compare this to some of the most loved racing icons like Valentino Rossi or the late Ayrton Senna. They aren't loved because they won a lot, it's because they have an infectious passion for racing. They had to deal with the difficulties and the grind but pushed through it with a smile on their face because they can't help themselves, they love racing and would have done it all for free if they had too.

RV has said numerous times that riding is like a job to him and that once he retires he won't touch a bike for a very long time. It also looks like he will end up retiring in his prime. You don't do these things if you really love the sport.
Flip109
4/30/2014 2:09pm
I bet he retires after next year win lose or draw. Then he goes hunting a lot, bangs his wife a lot, has some babies, and drinks a bunch of beer and gains 25lbs. Then at around 30 yrs old we catch vids of him ripping it up at local tracks. Then everyone will have a fucking heart attack and be like we sure do miss him! one more race one more race! haha
mxtech1
4/30/2014 2:20pm
Boredom comes when something is no longer a challenge. I'm not saying RV's schedule and training isn't challenging, but the motives are different now.

When RV was was coming up, his motivation was getting to what he is accomplishing now. Now that he's done that, what REALLY is left? I'm starting to feel his large yearly salary and winnings are what's going to motivate him from now until his retirement. He doesn't have anything left to prove. His situation now is coming close to where RC was at in his last couple of years.
4/30/2014 2:21pm
Was it RV that said that RC ruined the sport of motocross?
davistld01
4/30/2014 3:11pm
TripleFive wrote:
So RC raising the level of physical conditioning and commitment it takes to consistantly win at professional motocross against a field of the best riders in the world is ruining the sport?

It's been said before here, but RV chose to be a professional racer. He could have been a professional hunter, an outdoors guide, an accountant...and had a far less rigorous training and practice regimine. But, no...he chose to be a professional motocross racer, and made the decision to be the best in the world. Awesome! He has earned millions of dollars at a young age riding his dirt bike, a career that many here would give their right nut to do if they could...but for whatever reason, money...genes...injuries, they couldn't. I can see how RV (and others, according to MC) acting like it's such a huge pain in the ass and such a no-fun job could piss some people off who have always dreamed of doing what he...and they do.
davistld01
4/30/2014 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2014 3:44pm
TripleFive wrote:
Yeah, and that was one of the dumbest remarks I've ever heard a professional motocross racer make.

(Sorry for double response. Computer wouldn't load...)
4/30/2014 3:18pm
TripleFive wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
Yeah, and that was one of the dumbest remarks I've ever heard a professional motocross racer make.

I think you're misinterpreting it.
LoudLove
4/30/2014 3:23pm
There are parallels between McGrath and Stewart. Both have tremendous speed with ground-breaking style, and both could dig down & gap the field at will. Plus each are charismatic in front of the camera, and the guys you wanted to hang with.

Their differences? McGrath, in his prime, never faced an RC or RV, riders with an intensity, drive, and determination to succeed. Jeremy and James love to win; Ricky and Ryan hate losing. The fear of failure is the prime driver of most successful individuals, from racers to CEOs.

Even Jeremy's competitors kinda liked the guy, and SX/MX was more of a family in the 90's. Few racers developed a dislike for MC, which made losing to him easier to digest. Ricky and Ryan, they don't care about friendships; in fact, their dislike of the other guys on the gate fueled their intensity, making them work harder during the off-season to find that extra tenth, or ride that extra lap.

So when MC says he doesn't understand Ryan's perspective, perhaps it's due to the changes in racing since 2000. There is no "off season" with RC and RV on the line, no taking a few months to relax and forget about racing. Jeremy did not experience the 24x7x365 requirements of today's champions. Had he faced similar circumstances during his reign, we may not have a 7X champion.
S.Loyer
4/30/2014 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2014 3:27pm
TripleFive wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
So RC raising the level of physical conditioning and commitment it takes to consistantly win at professional motocross against a field of the best riders in...
So RC raising the level of physical conditioning and commitment it takes to consistantly win at professional motocross against a field of the best riders in the world is ruining the sport?

It's been said before here, but RV chose to be a professional racer. He could have been a professional hunter, an outdoors guide, an accountant...and had a far less rigorous training and practice regimine. But, no...he chose to be a professional motocross racer, and made the decision to be the best in the world. Awesome! He has earned millions of dollars at a young age riding his dirt bike, a career that many here would give their right nut to do if they could...but for whatever reason, money...genes...injuries, they couldn't. I can see how RV (and others, according to MC) acting like it's such a huge pain in the ass and such a no-fun job could piss some people off who have always dreamed of doing what he...and they do.
What is so glorious and amazing besides he makes lots of money racing a dirtbike?

It's a fucking job. I love what I do for a living, I have a passion for it, I talk about it constantly, I am constantly trying to get better, speak at conferences but there are days where I am just over it, and want nothing to do about it because it gets old and I need a break.

Have you ever tried riding every day for a month straight? I can tell you shit gets old, takes a lot of fun out of it and I wasn't even going on long ass bike rides or to the gym having some whatever the hell Aldon is yelling at me.

Do you know why our sport is so fun to us? It's a hobby, we can get away from it, for us its a way to blow off steam, enjoy family time and relax. We don't live in the sport 24/7 like RV.

As a young kid, its all about dreaming about making it and chasing a goal, when your lived your dream, and done chasing goals, it gets old. You've done all you can, now its time to find something new.
FroDiddy
4/30/2014 3:29pm
TripleFive wrote:
davistld01 wrote:

You don't have to agree with the statement but it doesn't make it any less true. It's a compliment, really. RC dedicated himself that much to be the best and he's recognized as such. Hats off to him, but man were the 90s fun! There were less robots on the podiums too.
4/30/2014 3:30pm
That was a really great 'terview. Good questions, too!

"He spazzed out at round one. That's just James."

haha! Come on, King! No crashes in the whoops for James on the Zook before A1, and none since. SX happens. Too bad it does, too. This title fight could've been one of the great ones.

Post a reply to: MC on RV being happy

The Latest