Luonngo: MXoN won't be until after MXGP series

mccread
Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 8:39pm
In an interview you can read here. GL talks about the "stupid" idea to have the MXoN before the end of the MXGP series in order to suit the USA.

He also talks about the U23 rule and the prospect of a couple of the manufacturers pulling direct factory support out of the series and insists that the MXGP series will ideally be 20 rounds.
|
jeffro503
10/16/2017 1:28pm
mccread wrote:
In an interview you can read [url=http://gatedrop.com/interview-giuseppe-luongo-i-think-future-mxgp-20-rounds/]here[/url]. GL talks about the "stupid" idea to have the MXoN before the end of the MXGP series in order...
In an interview you can read here. GL talks about the "stupid" idea to have the MXoN before the end of the MXGP series in order to suit the USA.

He also talks about the U23 rule and the prospect of a couple of the manufacturers pulling direct factory support out of the series and insists that the MXGP series will ideally be 20 rounds.
Not just suit the USA.....but ALL the AMA riders a little better. But so be it. It is what it is. 98% of the time it's held on the other side of the world anyways. It'll be a great event no matter what.....we just wont see the top USA riders going all that often.
RangerLee
10/16/2017 1:34pm
In the 80's and some of the 90's they were looking for a way to stop the US team. Change in scoring, change the rounds...nope, the easiest way around, change when they hold it. Smile For real though, the GP riders have gotten hella fast.

I do think the AMA outdoors is also ending earlier than it used to, so it works both ways.
Robgvx
10/16/2017 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2017 1:53pm
RangerLee wrote:
In the 80's and some of the 90's they were looking for a way to stop the US team. Change in scoring, change the rounds...nope, the...
In the 80's and some of the 90's they were looking for a way to stop the US team. Change in scoring, change the rounds...nope, the easiest way around, change when they hold it. Smile For real though, the GP riders have gotten hella fast.

I do think the AMA outdoors is also ending earlier than it used to, so it works both ways.
What date was the MEC* in the 80's and 90's?

*Multiple Endo Convention

The Shop

Prntscrn
10/16/2017 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2017 2:25pm
The solution is simple. Drop like 8 rounds of SX and add a few rounds of MX and make it fit. I know there's a lot of money in SX but damn it gets quite boring halfway through the season
Paul333
10/16/2017 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2017 4:19pm
I never believed they would move up the MXdN simply to accommodate the U.S. team. That would be completely unfair to the GP riders for sure. The fact that it does hurt the U.S. team is just a side bonus for Youthstream.

Luongo has stated several times that he doesn’t care about the MX2 class. He wanted to remove its GP championship status very recently. He wants one “Premier” class - MXGP - and that’s it. Thus any decision that hurts MX2 especially; under-23 rule, too many expensive “Fly-Away” races, Factory support dropping out, etc he is totally OK with. The man is an idiot Bureaucrat who simply doesn’t care about MX history, it’s future, etc.

China getting a round is just a continuation of his Third World 1st policy for future GP races. They usually have corrupt totalarian governments willing to pay his exorbitant hosting fees as a PR stunt for their counties world-wide reputation. Notice Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, or even some European countries don’t get a whiff from Luongo / Youthstream. He knows they are solid low corruption democracies who won’t pay his super high fees......

Only the Argentina fly-away race has been a success. Incredible location, World-Class track, great fans, etc. All the rest of Luongo’s smash & grab robbery style Fly-Away races have been an outright abomination for GP Racing.

10/16/2017 3:12pm
What if they have the GP's start around Mid January to beginning of February and attempt to have the GP series end at the same time as the US National series. Starting in that time frame I said would allow for plenty of potential weeks off for the fly away races and would obviously make it more convenient for Team USA. Only thing I can think of that it would interfere with is the warm up races' that a lot of the guys do in those months.

I understand that the GP's shouldn't have to change to cater to USA at one event.. but it's just an idea.
DonM
10/16/2017 3:12pm
Paul333 wrote:
I never believed they would move up the MXdN simply to accommodate the U.S. team. That would be completely unfair to the GP riders for sure...
I never believed they would move up the MXdN simply to accommodate the U.S. team. That would be completely unfair to the GP riders for sure. The fact that it does hurt the U.S. team is just a side bonus for Youthstream.

Luongo has stated several times that he doesn’t care about the MX2 class. He wanted to remove its GP championship status very recently. He wants one “Premier” class - MXGP - and that’s it. Thus any decision that hurts MX2 especially; under-23 rule, too many expensive “Fly-Away” races, Factory support dropping out, etc he is totally OK with. The man is an idiot Bureaucrat who simply doesn’t care about MX history, it’s future, etc.

China getting a round is just a continuation of his Third World 1st policy for future GP races. They usually have corrupt totalarian governments willing to pay his exorbitant hosting fees as a PR stunt for their counties world-wide reputation. Notice Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, or even some European countries don’t get a whiff from Luongo / Youthstream. He knows they are solid low corruption democracies who won’t pay his super high fees......

Only the Argentina fly-away race has been a success. Incredible location, World-Class track, great fans, etc. All the rest of Luongo’s smash & grab robbery style Fly-Away races have been an outright abomination for GP Racing.

Including the USGP....Off the schedule again...
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/16/2017 3:20pm
I don't remember seeing or hearing anyone ask to move the des nations before the end of the GP series.
line-up
10/16/2017 4:17pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I don't remember seeing or hearing anyone ask to move the des nations before the end of the GP series.
DeCoster did.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
10/16/2017 4:22pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
It was brought up on Pulp a couple of different times.

Back in the early 90s the AMA Nationals kept racing after the des Nation into October. And back in the early 80s there were still Supercross races into November. So the AMA guys have risked their national titles to race in the des Nations before. But I understand not altering the GP season to end after the MXdN.

I my opinion, Youthstream wants a Team USA there, but wants it to lose to the GP regulars. It benefits the GP status for GP guys to beat the AMA guys. If it is perceived that the fastest racers are in the GPs they might lose less talent to the AMA circuit. The more star power a series has the more tickets it will sell and more viewers it can sell advertising to.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
10/16/2017 5:03pm
The real answer is a couple of breaks in the national schedule, makes sense when the Tour is on as they can't broadcast the races anyhow (unless they get a new TV contract), and have the nationals end latter. Having the nationals end before labor day is dumb. All the contracts go up to October so no one can test for their new team anyhow.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/16/2017 5:11pm
Prntscrn wrote:
The solution is simple. Drop like 8 rounds of SX and add a few rounds of MX and make it fit. I know there's a lot...
The solution is simple. Drop like 8 rounds of SX and add a few rounds of MX and make it fit. I know there's a lot of money in SX but damn it gets quite boring halfway through the season
Good luck with that plan.
jeffro503
10/16/2017 6:13pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
It was brought up on Pulp a couple of different times. Back in the early 90s the AMA Nationals kept racing after the des Nation into...

Back in the early 90s the AMA Nationals kept racing after the des Nation into October. And back in the early 80s there were still Supercross races into November. So the AMA guys have risked their national titles to race in the des Nations before. But I understand not altering the GP season to end after the MXdN.

I my opinion, Youthstream wants a Team USA there, but wants it to lose to the GP regulars. It benefits the GP status for GP guys to beat the AMA guys. If it is perceived that the fastest racers are in the GPs they might lose less talent to the AMA circuit. The more star power a series has the more tickets it will sell and more viewers it can sell advertising to.
A-freakin'-Men!!
jeffro503
10/16/2017 6:14pm
yak651 wrote:
The real answer is a couple of breaks in the national schedule, makes sense when the Tour is on as they can't broadcast the races anyhow...
The real answer is a couple of breaks in the national schedule, makes sense when the Tour is on as they can't broadcast the races anyhow (unless they get a new TV contract), and have the nationals end latter. Having the nationals end before labor day is dumb. All the contracts go up to October so no one can test for their new team anyhow.
A-Freakin'-Men again!

Some wise dudes in here tonight.
tempura
10/16/2017 6:32pm
This is the reason there was no Japanese team this year at MXDN. The Nationals are still running, the final round is this coming weekend at Sugo.
A team was selected, but the riders chosen declined because there was a national the following weekend of the MXDN, and a championship on the line. I don't blame them at all for declining in this situation.
Of course, nobody cares or barely knows about the Japanese nationals or riders, and their presence at MXDN is not missed by many.
It's unlikely the Japanese national race dates will be re-scheduled earlier next season to accommodate MXDN.
philG
10/17/2017 12:05am
What if they have the GP's start around Mid January to beginning of February and attempt to have the GP series end at the same time...
What if they have the GP's start around Mid January to beginning of February and attempt to have the GP series end at the same time as the US National series. Starting in that time frame I said would allow for plenty of potential weeks off for the fly away races and would obviously make it more convenient for Team USA. Only thing I can think of that it would interfere with is the warm up races' that a lot of the guys do in those months.

I understand that the GP's shouldn't have to change to cater to USA at one event.. but it's just an idea.
Because thats dumb. You can only run fly aways in jan and feb because of the weather... plus teams have to test and pull in thier own nationals . US problem is that the season has no breaks and finishes too early.. thats your issue not ours.
kongols
10/17/2017 12:17am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 12:19am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
It was brought up on Pulp a couple of different times. Back in the early 90s the AMA Nationals kept racing after the des Nation into...

jeffro503 wrote:
A-freakin'-Men!!
I find that post total bullshit(second part of it). But hey, if it fits your agenda. RC would be ashamed of these posts.
10/17/2017 12:19am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 12:21am
What if they have the GP's start around Mid January to beginning of February and attempt to have the GP series end at the same time...

philG wrote:
Because thats dumb. You can only run fly aways in jan and feb because of the weather... plus teams have to test and pull in thier...
Because thats dumb. You can only run fly aways in jan and feb because of the weather... plus teams have to test and pull in thier own nationals . US problem is that the season has no breaks and finishes too early.. thats your issue not ours.
"You can only run fly aways in jan and feb" And yet oddly enough there are no fly away races scheduled in either of those months on the provisional 2018 schedule? I understand the GP guys like to do their own national series' before the GP series starts and there's obviously no working around that but it was just a thought.

Also it's hardly "my" issue considering I'm Canadian..
steed 2.0
10/17/2017 1:00am

philG wrote:
Because thats dumb. You can only run fly aways in jan and feb because of the weather... plus teams have to test and pull in thier...
The Season is one month too long or starts one month too late "Is the glass half empty or half full?" this year MXoN was affected too much by the weather (all the rain you get in autumn) also for the fans it's much nicer with some sun
DeStouwer
10/17/2017 1:01am
mccread wrote:
In an interview you can read [url=http://gatedrop.com/interview-giuseppe-luongo-i-think-future-mxgp-20-rounds/]here[/url]. GL talks about the "stupid" idea to have the MXoN before the end of the MXGP series in order...

Total bollocks. Luongo changes his mind whenever it benefits him. A couple of years ago when the provisional calendar was released, the Nations took place before the end of the series, with 2 or 3 races remaining. A lot of riders and team members opposed to this, so it was placed back after the end of the series.

So don't come here and tell me he thinks this is a stupid idea. He turns like the wind.
Prntscrn
10/17/2017 3:51am
Prntscrn wrote:
The solution is simple. Drop like 8 rounds of SX and add a few rounds of MX and make it fit. I know there's a lot...
GuyB wrote:
I know, but it would be awesome
Prejump
10/17/2017 3:58am
Prntscrn wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Prntscrn wrote:
I know, but it would be awesome
Totally agree. SX is mostly hype. Yes the first few rounds can be exciting whilst a handful of guys believe they can compete.

Then 2 things happen, injuries & a couple guys prove themselves to be on another level.

Then we have wk end after we end of the knowing who is the fastest hopping around lapping most the field.

When you take away the crowd, the flashing lights & show, what you left with is a BS sport which is ruining US nationals.

But hey the big corps are making millions that's the main thing.

willie838
10/17/2017 4:27am
what about more time between sx close and mx open so that mx and gps end around the same time of the year?

supercross last round was 5/6 and mx opened on 5/20 and ends on 8/26.

In theory that looks like sept, oct, nov, dec- a full 4 months until start of the new year.

- of course it works out to be actually being way less useful time with gp commitments, contract durations until they can start riding new bikes etc.

what about mx opening a month to 6 weeks after supercross ends would work fairly well.

that ends mx series approx mid sept to first weekend of october- all which is very viable mx weather anywhere in the country and syncs up better for des nations.

-------------

for people complaining about down time and time away from family- i feel pain of the road dogs. i was one in a different line of work but, consider 2 longer breaks as opposed to one 4 month gap between mx/ sx (of next season).

any reason why this would not work?

RG1
10/17/2017 4:30am
Paul333 wrote:
I never believed they would move up the MXdN simply to accommodate the U.S. team. That would be completely unfair to the GP riders for sure...

DonM wrote:
Including the USGP....Off the schedule again...
Only because the MXoN is in the US. It's not unusual for a nation to not host a GP in the same year that they host MXoN.
10/17/2017 5:21am
steed 2.0 wrote:
The Season is one month too long or starts one month too late "Is the glass half empty or half full?" this year MXoN was affected...
The Season is one month too long or starts one month too late "Is the glass half empty or half full?" this year MXoN was affected too much by the weather (all the rain you get in autumn) also for the fans it's much nicer with some sun
Affected by the weather in a good way or bad way? Looked like some great mx racing from my seat.
wfopete
10/17/2017 5:46am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 7:25am
Why don't we just add a couple more months to the calender year, like Roost-ober and Scrub-tember?

Problem solved.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/17/2017 7:46am
Affected by the weather in a good way or bad way? Looked like some great mx racing from my seat.
Seriously? You would rather have that sunsay bullshit than the awesome racing on saturday? Oh yeah a brit won so you love bullshit mud races.
steed 2.0
10/17/2017 8:03am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 8:06am
steed 2.0 wrote:
The Season is one month too long or starts one month too late "Is the glass half empty or half full?" this year MXoN was affected...
Well, I think in a negative way... personally I thought the qualifying heat had a higher entertaining value (more battles) but what I said before It's a matter of perception as well... The further you move towards the end of October more unpredictable the weather gets especially in northwest Europe (gulf stream) I don't know if you have noticed? it's raining less but when it rains it's more extreme these days

Post a reply to: Luonngo: MXoN won't be until after MXGP series

The Latest