Luongo says all Monster Energy riders will have to race USGPs in 2011

FlaNard
7/6/2010 11:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2010 11:26pm
FlaNard wrote:
Wont happen. US teams and riders care about winning US races and titles. Not riding around at races that pay nothing and simply risk crashing out...
Wont happen. US teams and riders care about winning US races and titles. Not riding around at races that pay nothing and simply risk crashing out and missing the races that they are paid to win. Wont happen.
Mejan wrote:
Tommy Searle: -No US rider wants to get beaten by a rider that they never heard of.

That´s the American attitude in a nut shell.
Why would they race a one off race that conflicts with the series that they get paid to race and win? Why would they risk the injury? If the American riders were afraid then we wouldnt have guys like RC, Stewart, RV and Dungey competing in the MXDN every year. They have never been afraid of getting beat by guys like Everts or AC any more then they fear getting beat by guys in the AMA series.
Fat Fingers
7/6/2010 11:40pm
TFS wrote:
WFO: I can't speak for them and their business decisions, these answers just are my opinions... ...why Monster wants to start something that basically has much...
WFO:

I can't speak for them and their business decisions, these answers just are my opinions...

...why Monster wants to start something that basically has much less american participation, i.e., rider and fan, is a gamble and much more start-up costs?

The Monster folks love SXMX, and were just disappointed with MX-no bang for the buck. No one sees it on TV. The GP TV package is way better. They aren't doing it primarily to get Monster in front of American eyes, they are doing it for a bigger market and one that Red Bull is strong in. Since there will be a couple of GPs in the US, it just makes sense to have their US Monster guys there too. Monster can do things no one else can, like get more of both worlds on the same track at the same time more than just once a year.

Is it that much of a revenue maker for Monster overseas?

We will have to wait and see.

Is it Monster wants more control of a series than what they got in MX?

No, they just needed to work with an organization that is interested in trying new things, instead of one that preoccupied with preventing things.

Is it that the FIM wants a piece of the American pie?

People are making too much of this. Any FIM series should be running in the US, and the US should not be trying to block it. The American pie just needs to grow up and worry about it's own events. Smile
And that is this whole topic in a nutshell.
Hanaa80
7/7/2010 12:27am
That SOB is ruining the GP series here in Europe. You guys should kick him out while you still can.
motogrady
7/7/2010 4:18am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2010 4:23am
Hanaa80 wrote:
That SOB is ruining the GP series here in Europe. You guys should kick him out while you still can.
Kick him out?

I would not go that far.

The sport needs someone or something to take and keep us on a world stage.

Not another American wannabe.

MXSports is taking care of business, following their mission, which Y/S might

want to do also.

What bothers me is the what might come to pass with Dingman and his crew.

The head of the AMA and GL have spent time together at the races. I'm sure Y'S has put the bug in Dingman's ear how they could do it better. What happens if MX in this country hit's on hard times? Like England did this past year. If anyone follows AMA roadracing you'll already

know the guy that saved the whole show from the Euro's has already vanished from the scene. Roger Edmondson could do no right. He was hounded from the sport.

Little does it matter the racing is better than ever with those guys, they're just happy

the guy that changed everything is gone.

That's what bothers me.

Maybe GL should quit worrying about America and take care of his business,

racing around the world, instead of reinforcing the myth that the USA is everything.

Where's that Russian GP?

The Shop

jamma10
7/7/2010 6:25am
FlaNard wrote:
Wont happen. US teams and riders care about winning US races and titles. Not riding around at races that pay nothing and simply risk crashing out...
Wont happen. US teams and riders care about winning US races and titles. Not riding around at races that pay nothing and simply risk crashing out and missing the races that they are paid to win. Wont happen.
Mejan wrote:
Tommy Searle: -No US rider wants to get beaten by a rider that they never heard of.

That´s the American attitude in a nut shell.
FlaNard wrote:
Why would they race a one off race that conflicts with the series that they get paid to race and win? Why would they risk the...
Why would they race a one off race that conflicts with the series that they get paid to race and win? Why would they risk the injury? If the American riders were afraid then we wouldnt have guys like RC, Stewart, RV and Dungey competing in the MXDN every year. They have never been afraid of getting beat by guys like Everts or AC any more then they fear getting beat by guys in the AMA series.
Marc DeReuver, Gareth Swanepeol, Clement Desalle and Ken DeDycker all flew across the other side of the Atlantic to race a National on unfamiliar machinery. Those races were of no consequence to them and they were all competing in a GP season at the time. Glen Helen is on the doorstep of most US based riders and they didn't show up.

'To see the support on hand from past GP winners - Chuck Sun, Broc Glover, David Bailey, Brad Lackey, myself, Johnny O'Mara, and others, was great. And all of us thought - to a man, that all the top American riders should of been there racing.

I know they have contracts. I know they have concerns about winning National Championships. But to me, and others, the top American series riders should of been there. For whatever reason, they didn't show. For me, as a former racer, a former GP winner, and as a fan, it was disappointing to know America didn't have every star on hand. Mike Alessi, Ryan Hughes, Zach Osborne, and the other guys that showed for America did an awesome job representing our country - I wish the rest of them were there too.'
Rick Johnson

Whenever I've been to a MXdN I've often noted that the Americans appear ill at ease and freaked out by unfamiliarity of it all - even though they usually go on to win the event. I just don't think any of them enjoy racing out of their comfort zone and on their terms.
DC
7/7/2010 7:12am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2010 7:13am
Bruhn, I don't pay attention to what you say because it's impossible to make sense out of nonsense. You have a strange, deep, odd obsession with me and the AMA Motocross series that must keep you up at night dreaming up the next piece of misinformation to throw out every now and then, and the personal insults are truly motivational for me, so thanks for that. The series, the TV package, the crowds, the participation -- they all speak for themselves. Like our counterparts in Europe, I think we're doing a good job in some tough times, and that must eat at you, so I apologize for that.

But now you have accused a friend of mine, Shenzi, of once again not having his own thoughts and opinions. You have no idea what you're talking about. Keep your eyes and your obsession on me and not my friends. I am the one that you can't stand, not Shenzi. Please leave other people out of this, just as you leave out actual sources and honest information, because I can take it. Shenzi has his own opinions, and while you can't respect them due to your blind fury at any thing positive that may have anything to do with me, please don't drag him down into the gutter with you. He deserves better.

See you at the races.

DC

MX Sports
Homey55
7/7/2010 7:26am
I think you were looking for this, DC...

motokid40
7/7/2010 7:28am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2010 7:32am
Wow Shenzi, you hit the nail on the head with

"You only come here to attack the Nationals or damage-control for, and force feed, the Youthstream series.

Get involved in MX and SX, discuss stuff Brother, leave the politically motivated speech behind and just join us as a real bench-racer, like the one you once were before you got corrupted feeding from all bottles, before the nectar started burning your throat. Let's talk about racing again."

TFS
7/7/2010 7:47am
DC wrote:
Bruhn, I don't pay attention to what you say because it's impossible to make sense out of nonsense. You have a strange, deep, odd obsession with...
Bruhn, I don't pay attention to what you say because it's impossible to make sense out of nonsense. You have a strange, deep, odd obsession with me and the AMA Motocross series that must keep you up at night dreaming up the next piece of misinformation to throw out every now and then, and the personal insults are truly motivational for me, so thanks for that. The series, the TV package, the crowds, the participation -- they all speak for themselves. Like our counterparts in Europe, I think we're doing a good job in some tough times, and that must eat at you, so I apologize for that.

But now you have accused a friend of mine, Shenzi, of once again not having his own thoughts and opinions. You have no idea what you're talking about. Keep your eyes and your obsession on me and not my friends. I am the one that you can't stand, not Shenzi. Please leave other people out of this, just as you leave out actual sources and honest information, because I can take it. Shenzi has his own opinions, and while you can't respect them due to your blind fury at any thing positive that may have anything to do with me, please don't drag him down into the gutter with you. He deserves better.

See you at the races.

DC

MX Sports
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/7/2010 7:48am
Hmm...There seems to be more than one YS-sponsored agent trying to sway public opinion by spreading not just their view, but some outright misinformation here. I'd say I see at least two. But that's a curable condition. Play carefully, lads. Smile

My guess is that while Monster might really want all their U.S.-based riders to participate, and strongly suggest participation, that it doesn't make sense for them to force it...especially when they've got a whole stable full of Monster-sponsored teams in Europe, and guys who'd be going for their own championships here. I'd be pretty surprised if it was actually written into the contract.
7/7/2010 8:43am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2010 9:15am
Sheniz, dont take it too heart being called a sock puppet, TFS is one and its hard to hide in a crowd of 1, so slander everyone that knows DC as one, makes it easier to hide. TFS knows VERY well what one of those are, because he IS one. Its well documented, its fact, he backed YS/GL trying to get the US nats. He put all his eggs in that basket, burned... nuked... every bridge in doing it, it didnt happen, so now its lash out time and he will toe the GL line Jeff Dunham style.

Sad part is, DC is friends with ALOT of people, so the collateral damage can go very wide with sock puppet statements.

Am I just the only one that caught this? GL and his MXGP mission statement has been, for 2 years, to make this sport a true "professional" sport, that is team driven, not privateer driven, ect ect.... then GL literally craps on his own series participating teams and states he pretty much doesnt care if the smaller teams make it or not? wtf? To me that says alot about GL's motivations. To me, its pretty obvious, bring in anyone that will bring himself more money, go for global domination because it equals more bucks in his own pocket. I would love to see a comparison for what GL's pay check is vs DC's. I am willing to bet DC's is absurdly low if their even is one, and GL is buying Bentleys.
ATKpilot99
7/7/2010 9:09am
In the August issue of MXA Jody Weisel wrote in his USGP article that MX Sports leased the mx series from DMG and in a few years Youthstream will get another shot to bid on the series .
TFS
7/7/2010 9:15am
Sheniz, dont take it too heart being called a sock puppet, TFS is one and its hard to hide in a crowd of 1, so slander...
Sheniz, dont take it too heart being called a sock puppet, TFS is one and its hard to hide in a crowd of 1, so slander everyone that knows DC as one, makes it easier to hide. TFS knows VERY well what one of those are, because he IS one. Its well documented, its fact, he backed YS/GL trying to get the US nats. He put all his eggs in that basket, burned... nuked... every bridge in doing it, it didnt happen, so now its lash out time and he will toe the GL line Jeff Dunham style.

Sad part is, DC is friends with ALOT of people, so the collateral damage can go very wide with sock puppet statements.

Am I just the only one that caught this? GL and his MXGP mission statement has been, for 2 years, to make this sport a true "professional" sport, that is team driven, not privateer driven, ect ect.... then GL literally craps on his own series participating teams and states he pretty much doesnt care if the smaller teams make it or not? wtf? To me that says alot about GL's motivations. To me, its pretty obvious, bring in anyone that will bring himself more money, go for global domination because it equals more bucks in his own pocket. I would love to see a comparison for what GL's pay check is vs DC's. I am willing to bet DC's is absurdly low if their even is one, and GL is buying Bentleys.
Your first paragraph is a myth, but it doesn't matter anymore.

I went out of my way to not do what you mentioned, and people took it the wrong way.

I said what I wanted to after that, because I don't put up with bullshit. It's not worth dragging on.

TFS
7/7/2010 9:21am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
In the August issue of MXA Jody Weisel wrote in his USGP article that MX Sports leased the mx series from DMG and in a few...
In the August issue of MXA Jody Weisel wrote in his USGP article that MX Sports leased the mx series from DMG and in a few years Youthstream will get another shot to bid on the series .
You don't need to worry about that. They took the bid in 2007 seriously but they are glad it didn't happen at this point. They did not anticipate how difficult it is do work in the US without interference, and the economy took a dump. They would have lost millions and they know it.
biker85
7/7/2010 10:09am
GH was going to be the race of the century ...

Know your history
In the past, Gp's in the States didn't work ...
Gp's in Australia didn't work ...
Gp's in Japan didn't work ...

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/7/2010 11:02am
TFS wrote:
You don't need to worry about that. They took the bid in 2007 seriously but they are glad it didn't happen at this point. They did...
You don't need to worry about that. They took the bid in 2007 seriously but they are glad it didn't happen at this point. They did not anticipate how difficult it is do work in the US without interference, and the economy took a dump. They would have lost millions and they know it.
You don't need to worry about that? That sounds an awful lot like, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

Here are some other good quotes from the Wizard of Oz...

"I am the great and powerful..."

"As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."

"Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a diploma."
motogrady
7/7/2010 11:11am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
In the August issue of MXA Jody Weisel wrote in his USGP article that MX Sports leased the mx series from DMG and in a few...

There was an interview over at the AMA site.
Mr. Dingman stated that the 1 million dollars a year the AMA gets from DMG,
for the next 10 years, will help them achieve the goal they have.

That goal is to become the AAA of motorcycling.
A roadside service, towing company.
KAWboy14
7/7/2010 11:12am
TFS wrote:
You don't need to worry about that. They took the bid in 2007 seriously but they are glad it didn't happen at this point. They did...
GuyB wrote:
You don't need to worry about that? That sounds an awful lot like, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." Here are some other...
You don't need to worry about that? That sounds an awful lot like, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

Here are some other good quotes from the Wizard of Oz...

"I am the great and powerful..."

"As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."

"Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a diploma."
i like those quotes!

for the record i dont care about smelly euro mx or their non paying ways! Smile
FLvet
7/7/2010 11:38am
TFS vs the world. Nothings changed since his college days.Still the way everyone is rushing to say he's wrong makes you wonder what's really going on eh? More popcorn needed perhaps?
TeamGreen
7/7/2010 11:39am
Teams will go to races if they're given the budget to do so.
txmxer
7/7/2010 11:52am
FLvet wrote:
TFS vs the world. Nothings changed since his college days.Still the way everyone is rushing to say he's wrong makes you wonder what's really going on...
TFS vs the world. Nothings changed since his college days.Still the way everyone is rushing to say he's wrong makes you wonder what's really going on eh? More popcorn needed perhaps?
yeah...why would anyone ever attempt to correct misinformation?
500guy
7/7/2010 11:54am
FLvet wrote:
TFS vs the world. Nothings changed since his college days.Still the way everyone is rushing to say he's wrong makes you wonder what's really going on...
He's the Benedict Arnold of Moto , He couldn't manipulate the side he wanted so he switched thinking he was a sure in, then was suddenly out.

At this point it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong because he's certainly not someone who could be trusted.
yosmithy
7/7/2010 12:10pm
Ya know, I was just thinking. What if the leaking BP oil well suddenly stopped leaking oil, and started sucking in water? If that drained the ocean, then what would stand between US and THEM??? What would divide us? How would we hate on each other?

I better call State Farm and see if I need Drain Insurance.
7/7/2010 12:13pm
yosmithy wrote:
Ya know, I was just thinking. What if the leaking BP oil well suddenly stopped leaking oil, and started sucking in water? If that drained the...
Ya know, I was just thinking. What if the leaking BP oil well suddenly stopped leaking oil, and started sucking in water? If that drained the ocean, then what would stand between US and THEM??? What would divide us? How would we hate on each other?

I better call State Farm and see if I need Drain Insurance.
I was thinking about that too. If it doesn't drain what will fill that void left from the oil?
mosslander
7/7/2010 12:23pm
Ok all the Euro countrys have their own national series and if the riders won't ride the GP they can't be WORLD CHAMPIONS and that's the same for everyone on the planet Tellus.
mccread
7/7/2010 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2010 12:52pm
Why do Americans always compare the two series in a bid to make their national series superior to the World GP title? Which they wrongly view as a European national championship.

You can't compare - totally different with totally different goals...One is a World Championship that is trying to expand and one is a national championship that is trying to improve their series... just watch both... they are both great.

However...I think it is pretty poor that US teams don't let their riders race the home GP it should be the biggest race of the year for home riders of each country to race their home GP.. that is how Bailey and co saw it... I think everyone would love to see the US ruders compete is the real world series but it probably won't happen so the US GP where they still get their home comforts is the closest they will get... it should be a major honour to ride and win ur home GP... I can't think of a more prestigious race to win.

Maybe the ignorance of GP racing in the US due to lack of media coverage and false belief that the AMA series is the true World series and superior to GPs.. will change and they will see both series for what they are.. equal in speed but different in what the title means.. one is a national series and one is a world title... both are the same level of quality riders with different styles needed to win each series.

The european/GP riders are ruling motocross right now... without Dungey an American would be struggling to win any of the four major outdoor titles... that is hard to believe...I remember when Americans where winning in the GPs and AMA series in the early 90s now it is the other way around for some reason.

Also both series can co -exist there doesn't need to be fighting.. other countries can hold a GP and their own national series no problem and the US has the best national series in the world... so I don't see a conflict at allwith two GP and 12 US naitonals.. esp since top US riders dont want to race outside the US anyway.it is great for the US fans.

Why would any motocross fan not want the US riders racing the US GP? why the negativity.. it would be great for the sport after all everyone just wants to see great racing form the best riders in the world right?!
Ryno784
7/7/2010 12:46pm
Shenzi wrote:
in a MX Magazine interview, GL talks about his 2011 changes for MXGP and Monster Energy being the new official sponsor of the series. He states...
in a MX Magazine interview, GL talks about his 2011 changes for MXGP and Monster Energy being the new official sponsor of the series. He states that in that deal, the US Monster Energy riders and teams will have to race USGPs.

He says 2 USGPs next in 2011, maybe a 3rd one with the help of Monster Energy. says that he met with 7 race promoters at Glen Helen. Says that they would probably concentrate on having GPs on the West Coast first because, as he says, there is a "cultural rivalry" between East and West coasts and the West Coast promoters feel a bit left out.

Regarding the world travel for the teams with races in Australia and the US, he states that for sure small teams won't afford it but that's fine as it will make space for local riders. He states that actually 30 riders per class would be enough for him, 20 that would do the full calendar and 10 per local race.

http://www.motoverte.com/site/les-reformes-de-luongo-53819.html

----------------------------------------------------
My own opinion, is keeping those GPs on the West coast won't bring you crowds, if they are interested in crowds.
PC and Kawi will have to send some riders (I hope for their championship hunt that they don't have to send all riders, and not the guys fighting for the title, especially if it's a close AMA Nationals series next year).

West coast promoters feel a bit left over? We have 2 races on the South west, 1 in central West, 1 in North West, 2 Central-ish (CO and TX), 2 in the Midwest (although HP cld be considered Midwest too as it's closer to Columbus than Boston). And 4 (or 5 with HP) along the Eastern shores. Pretty spread out.

I think it's cool that GP riders come to the US and we see them battle it out, but I don't see the need of having 2 or 3 or 4 ersatz of MXdNs, we have one MXdN and that is traditionally the race where nations and series, collide and go for World Domination bragging rights. It's cool to have 1 USGP, for sure, but a "USGP series" seems a bit overkill.

And let's forget the lack of interest or crowd presence is not new and just a GH thing, the last one in the late 90s at Bud Creeks where Windham was one of the only few AMA riders who attended, already had a very low crowd attendance and interest. It's not the 70s and the 80s anymore. Things have evolved too much since.
Man think of the purse money they can win racing the GP's!!
mosslander
7/7/2010 12:55pm
Shenzi wrote:
in a MX Magazine interview, GL talks about his 2011 changes for MXGP and Monster Energy being the new official sponsor of the series. He states...
in a MX Magazine interview, GL talks about his 2011 changes for MXGP and Monster Energy being the new official sponsor of the series. He states that in that deal, the US Monster Energy riders and teams will have to race USGPs.

He says 2 USGPs next in 2011, maybe a 3rd one with the help of Monster Energy. says that he met with 7 race promoters at Glen Helen. Says that they would probably concentrate on having GPs on the West Coast first because, as he says, there is a "cultural rivalry" between East and West coasts and the West Coast promoters feel a bit left out.

Regarding the world travel for the teams with races in Australia and the US, he states that for sure small teams won't afford it but that's fine as it will make space for local riders. He states that actually 30 riders per class would be enough for him, 20 that would do the full calendar and 10 per local race.

My own opinion, is keeping those GPs on the West coast won't bring you crowds, if they are interested in crowds.
PC and Kawi will have to send some riders (I hope for their championship hunt that they don't have to send all riders, and not the guys fighting for the title, especially if it's a close AMA Nationals series next year).

West coast promoters feel a bit left over? We have 2 races on the South west, 1 in central West, 1 in North West, 2 Central-ish (CO and TX), 2 in the Midwest (although HP cld be considered Midwest too as it's closer to Columbus than Boston). And 4 (or 5 with HP) along the Eastern shores. Pretty spread out.

I think it's cool that GP riders come to the US and we see them battle it out, but I don't see the need of having 2 or 3 or 4 ersatz of MXdNs, we have one MXdN and that is traditionally the race where nations and series, collide and go for World Domination bragging rights. It's cool to have 1 USGP, for sure, but a "USGP series" seems a bit overkill.

And let's forget the lack of interest or crowd presence is not new and just a GH thing, the last one in the late 90s at Bud Creeks where Windham was one of the only few AMA riders who attended, already had a very low crowd attendance and interest. It's not the 70s and the 80s anymore. Things have evolved too much since.
Ryno784 wrote:
Man think of the purse money they can win racing the GP's!!
MONEY MONEY MONEY stupied MONEY don't makes the champions
Ryno784
7/7/2010 12:55pm
Shenzi wrote:

You know some of the points you make are legitimate, not so sure about Europeans ruling the racing, but I can say that the US government (EPA and CPSA) with their emissions rules and the lead law along with complacent manufacturers are destroying the US racing scene all by themselves.

We can't buy a 2 stroke Suzuki in the US yet they still make them, the 50cc Yamahas are gone now because of the lead law, and the manufacturers are deaf to the crys coming from the amateur ranks for something to happen to curb the dramatic loss of interest/attendance in our sport.

So, if you just leave things be for a while longer yes, the Europeans will likely be ruling the moto world again real soon. But it sucks for many of us who remember the glory days of full gates and affordable bikes.

As for forcing riders to race, they all have it in their contracts to do x amount of events outside the normal series, so it is what it is. I think they should race too, but what low-budget privateer is going to try and run that race with no payout at all?? Luongo should not rely on 10 locals per event, he may not get 10!

Post a reply to: Luongo says all Monster Energy riders will have to race USGPs in 2011

The Latest