Lucky to have spent some time around JGRMX

mxtryon231
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2021 10:45am
With the recent loss of JGRMX in the paddock of Supercross and Motocross, I thought I would pay my respects to the organization on arguably the most frequented forum dedicated to the sport. I was lucky enough to work as an event manager for a sponsor who got our one and only shot at being involved with SX by way of Coy Gibbs and Jeremy Albrecht working closely with my bosses at the time to make the dream of having our brand's logo on a top tier 450 come true. While also allowing us to activate in their pits and feed a lot of hungry industry folks along with families of the riders and teams as well as the security guards and roadies from most teams. None of this would have been possible without the extremely flexible and family oriented vibes that the Gibbs family and JGRMX team/staff all welcomed us with from day one.

We weren't going to be the guys who just showed up and passed out meaningless marketing materials and gathered your info with Ipads, we wanted to do something fun. As a QSR (fast food) brand, we knew the only way to promote our brand was to somehow serve food at the races. This was a lot of red tape with FELD involved,who wants their buns toasted by anybody getting any attention at the races. The Gibbs family and Jeremy JBone Albrecht made this all possible by having us as their catering service at the races we were able to travel to. They helped transport items, set up, tear down, and provide any help we needed to get to and from the races.

I was sent to Washington DC to purchase a show hauler that we would take down to JGRMX in North Carolina for a wrap job and some customization to bring to the SX series in 2016/17. I pulled up to the facility and passed out in the parking lot around 3am. I got a nice alarm clock of a wakeup in the morning when there was a knock on the door. I opened the door and it was "Big Jon" Shelbourne and Billy Felts. These two guys are huge parts of the Gibbs family and JGRMX as Jon drives the semi for the race team and Billy at the time was running the west coast version of JGRMX with Peick all while developing his relationship with young Ty Gibbs who he now crew chiefs for in the NASCAR world. These guys treated me with such a warm and respectful vibe, showed me around, and helped us get ready to travel to the races for the first time.

A lot of hard work goes in to making it to the races, obviously, but to see the dedication that goes into it first hand for a few seasons was remarkable. The amount of hard work every single person needs to put in from the owners to the guy who sweeps the shop floor, is amazing. The RESILIENCY that is needed to show up with that same fire after a DNF, a tough round, or even a victory, is remarkable as well. I just wanted to say that I think the world was better off when JGRMX was doing their thing, the world of Moto that is. A ton of the moto media, and sponsor reps used the JGRMX pits as a place to chill, relax, upload stuff to their social, grab some lunch, maybe even a soda, it was a one of a kind place. You can't do that at KTM, or Honda. It's a place where I was able to casually chat with Big James Stewart, feed some privateers, rub elbows with GuyB, and see the amount of love for the sport that everybody has who is dedicated to being a part of it. I hope someday, someway, their story can be told on a bigger scale.

Thanks for everything JGRMX!!!
The Owners, Manager, Mechanics, Engine guys, Suspension Guru Jonny, and all the riders, what a pleasure.

|
2/4/2021 4:40pm
Great post. Always saw JGR as somewhat of a "home team," being from the Charlotte area. Hate that they weren't able to continue.
ShawdowGlen
2/4/2021 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2021 4:59pm
Nice!

Still think they had some of the best bike graphics making them some of the best looking bikes in MX history.

EngIceDave
2/4/2021 5:02pm
So do you have like a freezer full of hotdogs?
mxtryon231
2/4/2021 5:16pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Thats a negative there Dave. I am a vegan and left that job years ago. I don't have any beef with them though. Cool

The Shop

EngIceDave
2/4/2021 5:19pm
EngIceDave wrote:
mxtryon231 wrote:
Thats a negative there Dave. I am a vegan and left that job years ago. I don't have any beef with them though. Cool
Great story though...

moto711
2/4/2021 5:31pm
Great write up Joey! I always wondered how the JGR Wiener schnitzel deal in the pits had came about.

I was lucky enough to experience the JGR set up through Wienerschnitzel a few times. The first time by winning a contest through Wienerschnitzel to come out to the race and receiving a signed Barcia jersey and getting the chance to meet him and check out the JGR setup. Being he is one of my favorite riders it was quite the experience!

Next a few years later being at one of the races and Joey at Wienerschnitzel remembering who I was and getting the chance to be in the hospitality tent again, getting to experience the behind the scenes industry type stuff was awesome! It was super fun being such a moto fanatic to be with my friends and pretending to be that guy that “knows” someone in the industry and getting the “special” treatment was just awesome!

Thank you to JGR and Joey
#RIP JGR
FHKRacingZ
2/4/2021 6:29pm
You throw some love to Big John without mentioning his cooking? Cmonnn
mxtryon231
2/4/2021 6:37pm
FHKRacingZ wrote:
You throw some love to Big John without mentioning his cooking? Cmonnn
Crime on my end, truly. Big John's cooking is on another level.. So much that we bought him a Trager Grill as a token of our appreciation after the first season we spent with them. His dedication to the entire operation there is hard to put into words honestly.. All of the truck drivers in the pits do so much for their teams and for each other. John's array of veggies, pasta, proteins and everything was always top shelf.

Post a reply to: Lucky to have spent some time around JGRMX

The Latest