Lucas Oil Cuts Funding for Grassroots Motorsports

ama411mx
Edited Date/Time 1/1/2021 4:29am
Fun Email I got from Lucas Oil Today...... Pretty sure this guy won't have a job tomorrow. I wonder if that means MX needs a new Title sponsor?

|
TeamGreen
12/31/2020 9:25am
Seems to me, the way it’s reported, Morgan Lucas ain’t very cool.
MotofactioN
12/31/2020 9:29am
What a shame. It’s sad when a business completely changed direction due to a change in CEO. I’ll take my money elsewhere.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
12/31/2020 9:35am
Hopefully they are talking about things like lawnmower racing and not motocross.
xrmark
12/31/2020 9:38am
Hate to see funding taken from any Motorsport. But man I really hope they’re talking about lawn mower racing and tractor pulling

The Shop

crusher773
12/31/2020 9:43am
Yeah this sucks got the same one. Been with them like a decade. Told my boy and he went to the garage and peeled decals off his pit bike. Yeah Morgan Lucas sounds like a #1 asshole. Jason is a great guy too this is just total crap. Guess we'll start using Maxima or something.
Xeno
12/31/2020 9:50am
Lucas has put a lot of support into the industry. Hopefully they will continue to do so (in some form).
hypermoto
12/31/2020 9:51am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 9:54am
Support Dogger and buy Maxima!!!!!

12/31/2020 9:54am
This happens all the time in business people. Do not be surprised. The company is probably suffering from Covid and everything else in the market today. Just because a CEO makes a sound financial business decision does not make him an asshole. Perhaps that decision is saving a couple hundred jobs?

Racing sponsorship is the first thing to go in a business when your faced with financial decisions.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
12/31/2020 9:57am
He raced Top Fuel in NHRA so I wouldn't think he hates all motorsports. But I guess time will tell.
Bruce372
12/31/2020 10:01am
Pitchforks at dawn based on no confirmed facts. Blink
Jmicmoto13
12/31/2020 10:36am
Need more info on this one. We got the pr notice a few weeks back that LOORS was done for and I was fearful that cuts may make their way towards MX soon. Hopeful they don't completely back out.
Brent
12/31/2020 11:12am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 11:14am
To stop a check after it has gone out is a terrible way to treat anyone.

I hope the word spreads on what kid of company Lucas Oil has become.

You DO NOT do that to people who depend on you.

Maxima or Bel Ray or any other American company that supports our sport will get my business now, loyalty is a two way street.
12/31/2020 11:25am
What the fuck is MY Lucas Oil? It says right at the top of the site on the logo that this is an "Authorized Retailer" for Lucas Oil products. It doesn't appear this business is directly associated with Lucas Oil. The business address on the website is someone's house in Oceanside.

I imagine Lucas Oil was bleeding money supporting a dumb program like this. A direct to consumer loyalty program would probably be just as effective.
toomanykaws
12/31/2020 2:14pm
Definitely supporting Maxima. Never really liked much of Lucas products anyways.
Mr. Info
12/31/2020 2:28pm
There is no more Lucas racing at Glen Helen because they shelved the series.
gt80rider
12/31/2020 2:34pm
This happens all the time in business people. Do not be surprised. The company is probably suffering from Covid and everything else in the market today...
This happens all the time in business people. Do not be surprised. The company is probably suffering from Covid and everything else in the market today. Just because a CEO makes a sound financial business decision does not make him an asshole. Perhaps that decision is saving a couple hundred jobs?

Racing sponsorship is the first thing to go in a business when your faced with financial decisions.
How much money does that guy personally make a year?
JeepnMike
12/31/2020 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 2:58pm
I may be the only one who noticed, but even their commercials the past year seem to be pointing to a more 'mainstream' demographic as well. This may explain that.

I was going to say this sounds like they are pulling individual sponsorship, but our bud from Glenn Helen proved me wrong there. Sad
TeamGreen
12/31/2020 3:50pm
This happens all the time in business people. Do not be surprised. The company is probably suffering from Covid and everything else in the market today...

Intersting point, when it comes to the Moto-Market...

After-market parts, accessories, apparel/gear and maintanence products have sold amazingly well thru all of this. So, if Lucas is having issues? It ain't becuase of our segment!
Laughing
EngIceDave
12/31/2020 3:57pm

TeamGreen wrote:
Intersting point, when it comes to the Moto-Market... After-market parts, accessories, apparel/gear and maintanence products have sold amazingly well thru all of this. So, if Lucas...

After-market parts, accessories, apparel/gear and maintanence products have sold amazingly well thru all of this. So, if Lucas is having issues? It ain't becuase of our segment!
Laughing
He's right.

This is not the year to claim down sales in this or the auto industry.

DIY was big this year, home, auto, bike, etc...

HUGE

This is a re-focus/new direction kind of change.
APLMAN99
12/31/2020 4:02pm

TeamGreen wrote:
Intersting point, when it comes to the Moto-Market... After-market parts, accessories, apparel/gear and maintanence products have sold amazingly well thru all of this. So, if Lucas...

Laughing
Yep, you’d think that if the advertising was truly effective they’d be investing more into it to capture a bigger share of a bigger market.

Maybe the new guy either thinks or knows that it was more of a passion project than a real advertising campaign.

Time will tell if his thoughts are correct or not.
TeamGreen
12/31/2020 4:11pm

TeamGreen wrote:

Laughing
EngIceDave wrote:
He's right. This is not the year to claim down sales in this or the auto industry. DIY was big this year, home, auto, bike, etc...
He's right.

HUGE

Grinning
Imagine if you could get the $ per fluid unit that they get for some of their stuff! If ya do, let me know where I can buy EI stock! (Have you seen the price on some of their "additives"? WHOA!)

Me?
Shiiiiiiiit! I'm into the clasics...
Bel-Ray
Bardahl
Castrol
PJ-1
Maxima
Yamalube R (Don't go tryin' to get me to call it "2R"! Ohhh, hell...NO!)
Kawasaki GP
Rock Oil

And lately I've been trying out the new VP stuff.

Morgan Lucas's decisons ain't affecting me. But, I know a coupl'a truck teams that're not gonna like it! I'm kinda bummed about how he's going about it all, tho. His dad is a Class Act and loves ALL RACING.
racerx217
12/31/2020 4:37pm
Does anyone know if Rotella is ok to run in my 4 stroke?
TeamGreen
12/31/2020 4:46pm
racerx217 wrote:
Grinning That NEVER get's old, to me.
JMed651
12/31/2020 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 5:13pm
racerx217 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Grinning That NEVER get's old, to me.
I too had my serious face on scrolling and that make me chuckle.

I always hate to see “new direction” type press releases because I have supported with my spending dollars the people that take care of any power sports demographics. Always had a respect for Mr Lucas and won’t lie, I’ve thrown several dollars his direction due to his backing of anything that goes vroom when I’m in Auto Zone and such. Seems any racing I watch on tv or the internet was sponsored by them and I loved it.
I’ll hold judgment on his son until I get a grasp on his “direction” but the initial look from that email isn’t appetizing.
Back to the core support I suppose.

**typed as I am watching the Mini sprint races from the Tulsa Shootout on the intranets and the scoring ticker is sponsored by Lucas, all the infield banners are Lucas and every official is wearing Lucas sublimated shirts....*
EngIceDave
12/31/2020 5:24pm
Wonder what happens with MavTV, which is owned by Lucas and has been a total marketing channel of their products
APLMAN99
12/31/2020 8:15pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Laughing
EngIceDave wrote:
He's right. This is not the year to claim down sales in this or the auto industry. DIY was big this year, home, auto, bike, etc...
He's right.

HUGE

TeamGreen wrote:
:lol: Imagine if you could get the $ per fluid unit that they get for some of their stuff! If ya do, let me know where...
Grinning
Imagine if you could get the $ per fluid unit that they get for some of their stuff! If ya do, let me know where I can buy EI stock! (Have you seen the price on some of their "additives"? WHOA!)

Me?
Shiiiiiiiit! I'm into the clasics...
Bel-Ray
Bardahl
Castrol
PJ-1
Maxima
Yamalube R (Don't go tryin' to get me to call it "2R"! Ohhh, hell...NO!)
Kawasaki GP
Rock Oil

And lately I've been trying out the new VP stuff.

Morgan Lucas's decisons ain't affecting me. But, I know a coupl'a truck teams that're not gonna like it! I'm kinda bummed about how he's going about it all, tho. His dad is a Class Act and loves ALL RACING.
Manny, you may be unintentionally showing why Lucas Oil doesn’t think that their sponsorship money is/was worth it.

If the number of years that they’ve been title sponsors of Motocross can’t get them business from a real moto guy, then it probably wouldn’t seem like money well spent!!!!
1/1/2021 4:29am
It is probably the right business decision. Successful motorsports sponsorship today is more about getting a succesful guy with autonomy and a checkbook to fall in love with your sport (example Mike Genova) than it is about payoff from the actual sponsorship. Indy Car for example has this figured out. Their whole focus is creating a great environment on the high end hospitality side of things. Facebook, Google, etc...and modern sales channels has rendered the value of motorsports signage type marketing worthless.

Post a reply to: Lucas Oil Cuts Funding for Grassroots Motorsports

The Latest