Love and Backlash towards RV

downard254
3/17/2013 7:21am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2013 10:38pm
Got home late last night from Indy and this a.m. watched the race again. Kept the show running to watch the interviews and I started to thinking. There is A LOT of two sided opinions about RV on this site, maybe three sides. The Luvas, the haters, and everyone else. While I don't consider myself to be an RV fan, I do find myself rooting for just about everyone else to beat him. After listening to him on the podium last night, I have to say, he's very respectful to other riders in his speeches, and is all around a very nice guy. It seems he's always been that way. I remember rooting for him when he was up and coming, but I believe he has contracted the MC syndrome. The majority doesn't want to see the same guy always winning. It tends to make the racing a bit of a yawner, and that spawns a little resentment towards him. Not RV's fault, he want's to win so good on him.

I think us middle of the roaders, tend to get swayed more to one side or the other in our opinions of him when his biggest fans go a little overboard in their praise of him (ATTENTION: This is not a slap at his fans, you are entitled to praise you boy). It's just that sometimes you can get to beating a dead horse which tends to strike a nerve with us middle men, and absolutely fuel the fire of the haters. Same goes for the haters, they'll beat on him so hard sometimes, the big RV fans feel the need to retaliate and again, those of us in the middle get swayed to defend an unnecessary attack on him.

I guess the point of this long winded post is just to say that I think most of us respect RV for being the champion he is and that he is a straight up nice guy....win, lose, or draw.

All of this is purely my humble opinion and is just something I wanted to get off my chest. Oh, and by the way, I've been rooting for the Millsaps Cindarella story this year.

All right, commence conversation, but don't bash me too hard.
|
RandyS
3/17/2013 7:39am
There's nothing remarkable about him as he proves he is just a tick better than everyone. I wanted MC to dominate because it was new, after RC and then Reed/Stewart we have been reminded it hasn't always been like that. That was 30 I think, Stewarts dream of being second all time SX is probably going to be short lived if it happens.
burnside
3/17/2013 7:42am
RandyS wrote:
There's nothing remarkable about him as he proves he is just a tick better than everyone. I wanted MC to dominate because it was new, after...
There's nothing remarkable about him as he proves he is just a tick better than everyone. I wanted MC to dominate because it was new, after RC and then Reed/Stewart we have been reminded it hasn't always been like that. That was 30 I think, Stewarts dream of being second all time SX is probably going to be short lived if it happens.
Really? I'd say all of the top 5 are remarkable.
jtomasik
3/17/2013 8:01am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2013 8:01am
I couldn't care less. I watch it for the racing. If they do idiotic shit that makes me laugh (like Ryno and J-Law), that's about all that goes beyond the track. If they're boring off the bike like RV, then I'll notice them if they're winning or crashing. What's said on here is the fans, not the riders (usually).

It's all just entertainment to me....nothing more.
mxpappy711
3/17/2013 8:03am
Good post. McGrath would have gotten the same grief if there were message boards back then. Some people just hate a winner. We have so many great riders out there right now I just wish people could just enjoy what we are getting to see without all the hate. Field has not been this deep for years maybe decades. You might not get to see it for long and should enjoy it while it lasts. Reminds me of the 80's when team Honda was at its peak, glad I get to see something similar again.

The Shop

RealityCheck
3/17/2013 8:47am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2013 8:48am
I was at Budds Creek for the 2007 MXoN and, after watching Villopoto destroy the competition, turned to my buddy and said "I don't care if he never wins another race for the rest of his career, he'll be remembered as one of the all-time greats". He has never quite lived up to the expectations he established that day, but I've always been an RV fan. Unfortunately, he is now in the twilight of his career and hasn't yet proven to be of RC or MC level greatness. I guess what aggravates me about the RV leg humpers is they use words like "dominate" and "on another level" when he is really no faster than a handful of other guys. Alternatively, the Villo nutswingers act like RD is a C rider that got lucky. As long as RV fans over dramatize his performance, the naysayers will equally dramatize his failure to live up to expectations.
RealityCheck
3/17/2013 8:51am
mxpappy711 wrote:
Good post. McGrath would have gotten the same grief if there were message boards back then. Some people just hate a winner. We have so many...
Good post. McGrath would have gotten the same grief if there were message boards back then. Some people just hate a winner. We have so many great riders out there right now I just wish people could just enjoy what we are getting to see without all the hate. Field has not been this deep for years maybe decades. You might not get to see it for long and should enjoy it while it lasts. Reminds me of the 80's when team Honda was at its peak, glad I get to see something similar again.
McGrath (and RC) were far more dominant in their time than RV. MC wouldn't have gotten the grief RV gets because he brought it every week, every season. RV had flashes of brilliance, but makes too many mistakes to be considered in the same league as McGrath, yet his fanboys act like one race win by a couple of seconds is indicative of superhuman riding skills.
WhKnuckle
3/17/2013 8:53am
I don't think I ever noticed a Villo "hater"; and I'm sure not that, but I am kind of rooting for Davi to pick it up and take the title. I guess if you're rooting for one guy then you're rooting against another guy, but I don't wish any bad luck to Villo.
wfo250
3/17/2013 9:02am
Villopoto might not be as dominant as RC, but he gets the job done.
Ryan has had some terrible injuries. He is a badass.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/17/2013 9:05am
Seems like a great guy and incredible rider, but since I know he is the only one capable of winning every race I would rather see someone else win to keep the points tight. I think a lot of spectators root for underdogs, which means anyone besides Villo
MiSledder
3/17/2013 9:40am
maybe there needs to be another level of racing, Like "super duper supercross" How can you make a SX main and get lapped? LOL

I'm joking of course!
pilotdude
3/17/2013 9:40am
WhKnuckle wrote:
I don't think I ever noticed a Villo "hater"; and I'm sure not that, but I am kind of rooting for Davi to pick it up...
I don't think I ever noticed a Villo "hater"; and I'm sure not that, but I am kind of rooting for Davi to pick it up and take the title. I guess if you're rooting for one guy then you're rooting against another guy, but I don't wish any bad luck to Villo.
You never noticed anyone with "Leader of the Anyone But Villopoto Club" in their signature line? Or "2nd in command of the Anyone But Villopoto Club?"

Ok.
3/17/2013 9:58am
Name a multi-time champion in the past two decades that hasn't garnished a band of hate. It's a sociological phenomenon that is exaggerated when behind a keyboard.
BigDaddyG
3/17/2013 10:07am
Gotta remember RV hasn't finished very many full seasons on the 450. But when he does he wins the championship. His win % has to be near the very top, I would bet indoors only MC has him beat. If he can stay healthy then everyone else is in major trouble.
Tumblin
3/17/2013 10:39am
to each his own for sure, but RV brings it every race, every practice and (most) every work out. You have to respect his dedication and commitment, but that also makes him come across as a workaholic that most would question that path in life. Mc had it right in most of our eyes and certainly enjoyed the most remarkable SX career, yet mostly because he was able to dominate by talent and having fun, not so much with his work ethic.

What I like most about Ryan is his drive, it's exciting to watch him destroy berm's, whoops, sections and unfortunately sometimes himself. He hangs it out, rides the edge and does so purely for the win, the championship. That's also one of the things that makes it not as fun to root for him. He's too workman like, not so much doing it for the love of the sport that we're all twitterpated over. I think that's why I and many pull for guys like Canard, Reed, Stewart to get their wins.

I know since a rookie to present, RV has had the greatest of respect for the Dung, because he knows he's the guy that will always be there because of that same work ethic. RV hates the workouts, RD seems to enjoy them. RV just happens to also want to win as much as anyone ever has in this sport and with all the tools that he's essembled it's lethal, at least until that cartwheel.

There is no reason not to respect that, if not cheer for them. RV certainly does with arguably his greatest adversary RD. Fanboys everywhere should also.
WhKnuckle
3/17/2013 10:46am
WhKnuckle wrote:
I don't think I ever noticed a Villo "hater"; and I'm sure not that, but I am kind of rooting for Davi to pick it up...
pilotdude wrote:
You never noticed anyone with "Leader of the Anyone But Villopoto Club" in their signature line? Or "2nd in command of the Anyone But Villopoto Club?"...
You never noticed anyone with "Leader of the Anyone But Villopoto Club" in their signature line? Or "2nd in command of the Anyone But Villopoto Club?"

Ok.
No, I never noticed that. I'll look for it - I can't imagine someone being a Villo hater. How could someone hate a guy who tries as hard as he does? The battles he had with Townley on 250s alone should cement his place in moto history.
jeffro503
3/17/2013 11:58am
Look....RV is here to do a job......and that's it. He comes off as a "plain" in his interviews , but if you talk to anyone who knows him , or knew him.....he is just the opposite away from his job. The dude does his job and does it well. He pushes himself to succeed ( as do all the top guys ).......this just happens to be his time in the sport.

I really don't get all the haters and luvva's........why can't we all just be happy to have another competitor out there on the track healthy? I think it's cool seeing him , RD , Stewart , Reed , Davi , Canard , barcia......all of em'.....out there dicing it up.

Never understood the full on "fan-boyisim" towards certain riders......nor do I understand the hate towards others. It's like junior high stuff.
3/17/2013 11:58am
I've been thinking about making a topic about how there are RV slobberers all over the place these days (Noob) and yet I haven't started to hate the guy, which is the excuse the Stewart haters always use to justify disliking James. But three things have stopped me..

First, I already like RV.

Second, probably one reason Stewart haters hate is because james wrecks ALL THE TIME, or was for a while there, giving up heaps of wins in the process and giving the impression that he has no control and that basically he just pins it and prays, and still his fans lavish him with praise and Oh, he's the fastest, and Oh, he's the best. For the most part RV earns his adoration (back-to-back SX titles in two of the deepest fields ever and on his way to a third, punctuated with plenty of wins along the way to make it a true statement...you know, like the goat would).

Third, my attitude toward Dungey ain't too kind these days, and I must admit his fans probably put some of that contempt into me. Of course he's one of the best ever and deserves all the respect that comes with that (and his ride last night was defo phat), but it ticks me right off when Dunge fans say RV is no better than him, because I just don't believe it to be true.

If HA7ERS can hate because James is fast and a heat-race hero and wins lots of races but few titles, then I see no reason why HATER5 can't hate because Dungey's too timid and wins titles with machinelike consistency but few races (when he actually has worthy challengers). They're two sides of the same coin.

Not that I'm a hater ; )
jeffro503
3/17/2013 12:13pm
And my question is.....why hate anyone that races on the big screen? I don't even hate Friese and he's probably the dirtiest rider this sport has seen in a long time. BUT.....he has been putting in some great finishes.....so I'm happy for him in that dept. Point is.....with a lot of fans....it's either hate.....or stalker love.
3/17/2013 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2013 1:02pm
I always root for the underdog, so I've really been cheering for Reed and Stew this year. But man, it's hard to ignore what RV has been doing the last few weeks. If he keeps this up I don't see anyone beating him for the two titles this year. Dude is unreal right now.
3/17/2013 12:34pm
Tumblin wrote:
to each his own for sure, but RV brings it every race, every practice and (most) every work out. You have to respect his dedication and...
to each his own for sure, but RV brings it every race, every practice and (most) every work out. You have to respect his dedication and commitment, but that also makes him come across as a workaholic that most would question that path in life. Mc had it right in most of our eyes and certainly enjoyed the most remarkable SX career, yet mostly because he was able to dominate by talent and having fun, not so much with his work ethic.

What I like most about Ryan is his drive, it's exciting to watch him destroy berm's, whoops, sections and unfortunately sometimes himself. He hangs it out, rides the edge and does so purely for the win, the championship. That's also one of the things that makes it not as fun to root for him. He's too workman like, not so much doing it for the love of the sport that we're all twitterpated over. I think that's why I and many pull for guys like Canard, Reed, Stewart to get their wins.

I know since a rookie to present, RV has had the greatest of respect for the Dung, because he knows he's the guy that will always be there because of that same work ethic. RV hates the workouts, RD seems to enjoy them. RV just happens to also want to win as much as anyone ever has in this sport and with all the tools that he's essembled it's lethal, at least until that cartwheel.

There is no reason not to respect that, if not cheer for them. RV certainly does with arguably his greatest adversary RD. Fanboys everywhere should also.
10-4 Tumblin, he brings everything he's got. On those days when he has his "A" game he has proven he can beat the best the world has to offer.

To those who say he is not remarkable, I say look in the mirror. See anything remarkable? If not, get help before it's too late.

Go RV!!! Can't wait to see you in Seattle.
dave.bonz.9
3/19/2013 11:29am
Just two Cent's..People become haters when somebody good wins or some other BRAND of bike wins..it's not always just about a rider. sometimes people like / love riders for different reasons..I'm a KAWASAKI guy and always will be.If you on a green bike your OK with me..I have a like / love for RV1 for two reasons .. 1. He's a bad ass in SX or MX and 2. He's on a kawasaki . I even liked JS at one time ( when he was with kawasaki ) now i'm not a fan of JS at all and love seeing him get sent Home... Now RC is different all the way around. He was the MASTER !!! and always will be and i have big time respect for him. JM was bad AZZ in SX and i respect him also. But i didn't like seeing him take wins away from team K or riders.I only ride / work on kawasaki's and honda's these days " I'M FOR ANYBODY ON TEAM GREEN " but i also like dungey ,,reed,,KW,,or anyother good rider !!! I'm not a hater i just like watchin RV1 or team green smoke them good !
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/19/2013 2:07pm
TripleFive wrote:
Name a multi-time champion in the past two decades that hasn't garnished a band of hate. It's a sociological phenomenon that is exaggerated when behind a...
Name a multi-time champion in the past two decades that hasn't garnished a band of hate. It's a sociological phenomenon that is exaggerated when behind a keyboard.
Behind a keyboard, in real life, on t-shirts, etc.

I've seen people in all forms of racing boo champions because they "win too much."

For sprint car guys, ever seen an "Anyone but Kinser" t-shirt? NASCAR guys, ever hear Jeff Gordon get booed during driver introductions? It's like that.
Husqerdo
3/19/2013 2:56pm
I've been thinking about making a topic about how there are RV slobberers all over the place these days (Noob) and yet I haven't started to...
I've been thinking about making a topic about how there are RV slobberers all over the place these days (Noob) and yet I haven't started to hate the guy, which is the excuse the Stewart haters always use to justify disliking James. But three things have stopped me..

Second, probably one reason Stewart haters hate is because james wrecks ALL THE TIME, or was for a while there, giving up heaps of wins in the process and giving the impression that he has no control and that basically he just pins it and prays, and still his fans lavish him with praise and Oh, he's the fastest, and Oh, he's the best. For the most part RV earns his adoration (back-to-back SX titles in two of the deepest fields ever and on his way to a third, punctuated with plenty of wins along the way to make it a true statement...you know, like the goat would).

Third, my attitude toward Dungey ain't too kind these days, and I must admit his fans probably put some of that contempt into me. Of course he's one of the best ever and deserves all the respect that comes with that (and his ride last night was defo phat), but it ticks me right off when Dunge fans say RV is no better than him, because I just don't believe it to be true.

If HA7ERS can hate because James is fast and a heat-race hero and wins lots of races but few titles, then I see no reason why HATER5 can't hate because Dungey's too timid and wins titles with machinelike consistency but few races (when he actually has worthy challengers). They're two sides of the same coin.

Not that I'm a hater ; )
You know what the difference is between you Whoops and the NOOB? The NOOB goes overboard on how great RV is but seldom say's negative things about his competition. You on the other hand make every effort to belittle Dungeys abilities and accomplishments while throwing in how great RV is. You talk about Haters as if you are not one, ever read your own crap?
Phantom 661
3/19/2013 5:35pm
I've been thinking about making a topic about how there are RV slobberers all over the place these days (Noob) and yet I haven't started to...

Not that I'm a hater ; )
Husqerdo wrote:
You know what the difference is between you Whoops and the NOOB? The NOOB goes overboard on how great RV is but seldom say's negative things...
You know what the difference is between you Whoops and the NOOB? The NOOB goes overboard on how great RV is but seldom say's negative things about his competition. You on the other hand make every effort to belittle Dungeys abilities and accomplishments while throwing in how great RV is. You talk about Haters as if you are not one, ever read your own crap?
Um.... Yes, I believe he's using what Bush called "Fuzzy Math". I think it"s as simple as..... two wrongs don't make a right. If your going to hate, make it for the right reason lest you become a slave to that which you hate. Go RV?!!!
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
3/19/2013 5:49pm
I was at Budds Creek for the 2007 MXoN and, after watching Villopoto destroy the competition, turned to my buddy and said "I don't care if...
I was at Budds Creek for the 2007 MXoN and, after watching Villopoto destroy the competition, turned to my buddy and said "I don't care if he never wins another race for the rest of his career, he'll be remembered as one of the all-time greats". He has never quite lived up to the expectations he established that day, but I've always been an RV fan. Unfortunately, he is now in the twilight of his career and hasn't yet proven to be of RC or MC level greatness. I guess what aggravates me about the RV leg humpers is they use words like "dominate" and "on another level" when he is really no faster than a handful of other guys. Alternatively, the Villo nutswingers act like RD is a C rider that got lucky. As long as RV fans over dramatize his performance, the naysayers will equally dramatize his failure to live up to expectations.
Never lived up to the Hype??? Even with all of his injurys he has 6 titles and is leading the class for his 7th!!! He is 24 with 6 titles with 53 wins, I would say he is well ahead of MC........
chrisbuehler
3/19/2013 6:14pm
BigDaddyG wrote:
Gotta remember RV hasn't finished very many full seasons on the 450. But when he does he wins the championship. His win % has to be...
Gotta remember RV hasn't finished very many full seasons on the 450. But when he does he wins the championship. His win % has to be near the very top, I would bet indoors only MC has him beat. If he can stay healthy then everyone else is in major trouble.
RV is a bad motherffer. But the fact he has been injured as much as he has is reason one why he isn't MC or RC. It doesn't do anyone any favors comparing them to those two. Appreciate RV for who he is, RV
TDeath21
3/19/2013 7:28pm
I was at Budds Creek for the 2007 MXoN and, after watching Villopoto destroy the competition, turned to my buddy and said "I don't care if...
You aren't very smart are you? You're saying Villopoto hasn't lived up to his expectations because he hasn't reached MC or RC level greatness. Umm... that's the TWO BEST EVER this sport has ever seen. There's a possibility he will have more championships than MC when his career is done. I have always thought it was stupid to compare a rider's in progress accomplishments to another rider's final accomplishments, but whatever. Honestly, he has a pretty good chance to be considered the second best of all time when it's all said and done. Is that "up to his expectations"?
RealityCheck
3/20/2013 3:33am
TDeath21 wrote:
You aren't very smart are you? You're saying Villopoto hasn't lived up to his expectations because he hasn't reached MC or RC level greatness. Umm... that's...
You aren't very smart are you? You're saying Villopoto hasn't lived up to his expectations because he hasn't reached MC or RC level greatness. Umm... that's the TWO BEST EVER this sport has ever seen. There's a possibility he will have more championships than MC when his career is done. I have always thought it was stupid to compare a rider's in progress accomplishments to another rider's final accomplishments, but whatever. Honestly, he has a pretty good chance to be considered the second best of all time when it's all said and done. Is that "up to his expectations"?
Thanks for proving my point. Your post demonstrates precisely the irrational exuberance (a defining characterisic of RV fanboys) to which I was referring. It's exactly this type of love-sick babble that polarizes people when the topic of Villopoto is being discussed. In fairness, however, I will acknowledge that forming a rational thought is probably difficult while simultaneously swinging from Villo's nuts and humping his leg.

Post a reply to: Love and Backlash towards RV

The Latest