Loretta Lynn’s broke wheels

Moto520
8/5/2022 12:02pm
viking174 wrote:
I’ve got stock husqavarna wheels on 22 fc 450. I’m 6”2 215 lbs. I don’t touch my wheels other than tighten a few spokes here and...
I’ve got stock husqavarna wheels on 22 fc 450. I’m 6”2 215 lbs. I don’t touch my wheels other than tighten a few spokes here and there. Not one issue with my wheels . Not one.
We need to know how you ride. Are you charging hard or just taking it easy.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
8/5/2022 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2022 12:32pm
mxrose3 wrote:
As the owner of a KTM, i've had a front wheel blow out because of the spokes. You have to realize why the KTM is the...
As the owner of a KTM, i've had a front wheel blow out because of the spokes. You have to realize why the KTM is the lightest bike out there - they have trimmed weight wherever they thought was possible. And one area is the spoke thickness or gauge. Compare a stock KTM spoke with a stock Japanese spoke and you'll see why they are breaking.
I've also had wires in the wire harness break because they use the smallest gauge wire possible also.
Not that this is a bad thing always, but you pay the price for being the lightest bike sometimes.
Richy wrote:
I agree with the premise and the spoke issue. I build motorsport harnesses day in day out and the most common sized wire I use is...
I agree with the premise and the spoke issue. I build motorsport harnesses day in day out and the most common sized wire I use is smaller than any of the wires on my 350, so I don't think it's a size issue there, but agree the looms were shitty for a number of years. The modern ones are supposed to be better.
myself and another family member own 3 KTM's. All in the 17'/18' era. All 3 of them have had issues with the wires behind the number plate that connect to the starter button. They all broke eventually, and we just bypassed the connector. I have a buddy that bought a brand new '23 that just had the same issue so its not just an age thing. I know those wires are constantly moving / flexing though with the steering movement. I've had a few other wires break near the air temp sensor. I have compared the wire size to another Jap bike, and there IS a difference.
BTW, i'm not bashing KTM. I love mine, other than I've had to deal with some of these issues. I'm just saying there is a price to pay when you try to make things lighter. I mean we can make a bike completely of thick hardened STEEL and 10 gauge wiring and it would be bulletproof, but good luck riding it.
KTM is trying there best to make things as light as they can on these bikes while still being able to withstand average rider abuse. Its a fine line.
BikePilot
8/5/2022 7:04pm
75hrs on my 300. Mix of off road and Mx. vet A rider. No issues at all.
Hammer 663s
8/5/2022 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2022 7:19pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Light, Strong, Fast. Pick 2.
Light, strong, cheap. Pick 2. Old one from my MTB cross country days. I had a 20.5lb Amp B4 that I broke all the time. My 23 lb Psycle Werks Wild Hare was bulletproof.

True story - lined up with John Tomac in Montreal for a race in 85 or so. He lapped me twice.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Loretta Lynn’s broke wheels

The Latest