Loretta Lynn needs a new track

I've been watching the races there for 30 years now and while bikes have changed, the track remains basically the same. I love the history of the race, and it's purpose and tradition, but it's time to change things up. It's just not an accurate test of man and machine in 2016, and at some point things will change. New venue or just track design? As much as we all want things to "stay the same, but get better", it's not reality. What's the future for the ultimate amateur national that we all love and respect?
|
dean122
8/4/2016 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 9:01pm
Not an accurate test of man and machine?!

You can pretty much guarantee rain every year adding to the difficulty. For a flat land "amateur" track, it's pretty damn brutal. I take it you've never been. Watching it online, seeing pictures and actually being there are two different things.
Zoom
8/4/2016 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 9:04pm
Totally disagree. While the layout has remained basically the same, they have brought in more sand and different dirt along with changing up some of the obstacles from year to year. The one thing that makes this race so special is that its only used for motocross racing once a year. There are never local or regional races on it, just the national. Plus, there is never any training or motocross schools there. Its a level playing field. The last several years it has gotten better and better with big rollers in a lot of turns, giving riders plenty of options for passing.

The biggest plus in our family is that my wife wants to go back every year, just to float down the river. Its so refreshing. While its very hot there, the water is always very cold! You can watch some races for a while, then when you feel a sweat bead roll down your face, just hop in your tube and float down the river for a few minutes. Get out of the water and head over to the fence and watch some more incredible race action till you feel that sweat bead again and do it all over again.
rpawley
8/4/2016 9:25pm
Zoom wrote:
Totally disagree. While the layout has remained basically the same, they have brought in more sand and different dirt along with changing up some of the...
Totally disagree. While the layout has remained basically the same, they have brought in more sand and different dirt along with changing up some of the obstacles from year to year. The one thing that makes this race so special is that its only used for motocross racing once a year. There are never local or regional races on it, just the national. Plus, there is never any training or motocross schools there. Its a level playing field. The last several years it has gotten better and better with big rollers in a lot of turns, giving riders plenty of options for passing.

The biggest plus in our family is that my wife wants to go back every year, just to float down the river. Its so refreshing. While its very hot there, the water is always very cold! You can watch some races for a while, then when you feel a sweat bead roll down your face, just hop in your tube and float down the river for a few minutes. Get out of the water and head over to the fence and watch some more incredible race action till you feel that sweat bead again and do it all over again.
They race quads and GNCC there as well.
MotoX85
8/4/2016 9:36pm
I've been watching the races there for 30 years now and while bikes have changed, the track remains basically the same. I love the history of...
I've been watching the races there for 30 years now and while bikes have changed, the track remains basically the same. I love the history of the race, and it's purpose and tradition, but it's time to change things up. It's just not an accurate test of man and machine in 2016, and at some point things will change. New venue or just track design? As much as we all want things to "stay the same, but get better", it's not reality. What's the future for the ultimate amateur national that we all love and respect?
I totally agree, most of that track is way to narrow and small for the caliber of competition that races there. I was shocked about the track the first time we went and it hasn't changed much since. The track is falling behind the progression of the bikes and todays riders.

Also by leaving the layout 95% unchanged at the same venue, it gives an enormous advantage to people who have already rode the track.

Not sure that the wife wanting to float down the river should be a requirement for national track.

I have made this statement before about this track, NO ONE would want to race that track on a normal weekend, its only there because of the media related to the event. That alone to me says it all about needing to move the race. Riders WANT to race other places, they are REQUIRED to race Lorettas. Of all the people who say they love to go back, it is always for other things, friends, creek, bridge jumping, entertainment, nobody ever mentions the track.

The Shop

mtl
8/4/2016 9:37pm
No such thing as a level playing field in motorsports.

LL strives for it, however kids that have been going since they were 4 know the track by the time they hit 10...

If you can afford to go year after year, you have an advantage..
chuckie108
8/5/2016 12:34am
As a california guy- I would say the distance and the track are a big disadvantage for us out here on the west coast. The track conditions are like nothing we ever see out west. Id never ridden ruts like that! My bike set up was so off to start the week it wasn't even funny. And there really aren't any big jumps like what litter our tracks out here. All that being said- how else do you make a track work for 50's , +50 guys, and everyone in between. That's a pretty tall task. Then factor in a facility that can handle an event that big. I'd say all things considered, they are doing a damn fine job!
rongi#401
8/5/2016 12:39am
what are you smoking? you should cut back
kkawboy14
8/5/2016 1:14am
No need to change a track that is ridden once a year. Weekly tracks need to be changed regularly.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
8/5/2016 4:15am
You have to remember the track is for everything from PW50's to 450's! I hope they never change the venue. My son has a dream of making it one day!

I can't imagine a track with no ruts, thats not MX thats flat tracking lol!
dboivin
8/5/2016 4:31am
100% disagree. track is as about neutral as can be....safer than most. jumps for show, corners for dough. i would take it further and say you won't find a better universal amateur national track. DC keep doin what you're doin...
DoctorJD
8/5/2016 5:01am
Disagree. When you say, "It's just not an accurate test of man and machine in 2016...", I interpret that as: There are no big jumps. Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't watched much of the coverage, but I was able to catch the 50+ class yesterday evening (and one of the premier 85 classes). The podium guys all said (basically) the same thing. That the track was super technical, and kicked ass. And based on what I saw, I'd take their word for it.
agn5009
8/5/2016 5:06am
mtl wrote:
No such thing as a level playing field in motorsports. LL strives for it, however kids that have been going since they were 4 know the...
No such thing as a level playing field in motorsports.

LL strives for it, however kids that have been going since they were 4 know the track by the time they hit 10...

If you can afford to go year after year, you have an advantage..
This just isn't true. The cream rises to the top, period. Nobody looks at a kid and says, damn that kid took 28th instead of 33rd in the 250B class because he's been there 6 times. The guys who win Loretta's are typically the guys who win absolutely everywhere. It has nothing to do with how many times they've been there. Us, along with the promoters only care about the guys winning anyways. Nobody pays attention to the guys taking 25th place (except family and friends of the rider of course) so nobody is paying attention to how many times the leaders of their classes have been there mainly because they've always been the best in their respective class.

Shit, rambling again. To sum it up, the winners are gonna win.
steveada
8/5/2016 5:15am
I have to admit I have never been to LL, even to watch. However, year after year there is good racing and the cream rises to the top. Does it really matter if it is everybody's favorite track or the "best" track in the country? Everybody has their own idea what makes the perfect track so who is going to decide that anyway? Also, don't discount the importance of the whole tradition of being at the ranch and everything that goes along with that. Maybe not many people would choose to go ride that track if it was just another practice track, but everybody who races dreams of getting to ride that track.
slowgti
8/5/2016 5:30am
I've only been there twice, about 8 years apart. The track layout is almost the same year after year. The way they groom and prep the track daily and yearly changes the lines, the passing places and the racing every year. They do a great job keeping it acceptable for the 450's all the way down to the pw50's. That's not easy to do folks.

The west coast guys might be at a disadvantage but there is no way to have a "level playing field". You could put the race in the geographical center of the country and people would still bitch.
dboivin
8/5/2016 5:39am
that track and dirt is so different than what we have here, its hard for michigan guy to adjust. heat, hard pack w/ ruts. we don't have anything like in D-14. I would say every geography location has this same hurdle to a certain point. I really don't think you're gonna find a more centrally located, safe, good for all classes, large venue to handle the amount of people type of anywhere in the middle of the country.

and btw, i used to think the same thing but as i got older, ran a few races myself for a highly regarded local track and seen the logistical nightmare that it is (we've held a qualifier)....my opinion changed over the years.

one thing is guaranteed. you will never make everyone happy but you can make a majority happy. thats what DC and family is pretty good at.
49weasel
8/5/2016 5:50am
It’s a weird track for sure. I raced there in 2014 and got my ass handed to me. Guys that I beat locally or could easily hang with walked away from me down there, but a few of those guys have been going there for a long time. Between nerves and the pressure I put on myself it didn’t go well. Part of me thinks the track isn’t fair because of guys repeatedly going down there year after year but if you're fast enough you've got that option..

I think doing it at a different national track every year is good idea.
8/5/2016 5:59am
49weasel wrote:
It’s a weird track for sure. I raced there in 2014 and got my ass handed to me. Guys that I beat locally or could easily...
It’s a weird track for sure. I raced there in 2014 and got my ass handed to me. Guys that I beat locally or could easily hang with walked away from me down there, but a few of those guys have been going there for a long time. Between nerves and the pressure I put on myself it didn’t go well. Part of me thinks the track isn’t fair because of guys repeatedly going down there year after year but if you're fast enough you've got that option..

I think doing it at a different national track every year is good idea.
I agree, why race the same track every year?
ThatOneKid
8/5/2016 6:08am
I disagree as well, the ruts, rollers, and braking bumps always end up crazy at Loretta's. I don't think there could be a better balance from 50s to 450s than how they have it setup. I'm sure alot of the people complaining want to see bigger jumps but I don't think those are necessary at Loretta's especially with how rough it gets. I do wish the other big races would be as big of a deal as they were when I was younger like Ponca, World Mini's, Lake Whitney, etc. I think that would have less people complaining about Loretta's.
Zoom
8/5/2016 6:43am
Zoom wrote:
Totally disagree. While the layout has remained basically the same, they have brought in more sand and different dirt along with changing up some of the...

rpawley wrote:
They race quads and GNCC there as well.
There is still only one motocross race a year on that track.
jj welks
8/5/2016 6:46am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2016 6:48am
If they switched locations they'd probabley have to change the name of the whole shin dig and the best are gonna win wether they're racing around 2 cones or at the pinnacle of moto, the GP at Charlotte
fgb729
8/5/2016 6:56am
I couldn't disagree more. In fact I think more tracks need to be like Loretta's, SAFE and technical. No bonsai jumps for amateurs especially considering the power of these 4 strokes.
hillbilly
8/5/2016 8:19am
Standing along the fence tipping back aluminium cans makes all tracks look easy.

You have to ride that track for 20 minutes to appreciate the beating it doles out.
Highsider
8/5/2016 8:53am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2016 8:58am
dboivin wrote:
100% disagree. track is as about neutral as can be....safer than most. jumps for show, corners for dough. i would take it further and say you...
100% disagree. track is as about neutral as can be....safer than most. jumps for show, corners for dough. i would take it further and say you won't find a better universal amateur national track. DC keep doin what you're doin...
^^^
Agree.

Perhaps the OP could give us his motocross facility operation background and credentials.
mwssquad827
8/5/2016 9:34am
Test of man and machine??? What do you want?? It's ruff, hot and all the top dudes in every class are there!

You know what I agree change the track keep it smooth all day and litter the track with 150-180ft jumps, that's exactly what we need in amauter motocross!?! That will be a real test of man and machine! Heavy sarcasm!!!!!!!!
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
8/5/2016 9:51am
I've been watching the races there for 30 years now and while bikes have changed, the track remains basically the same. I love the history of...
you know what your right!

in fact we should go rip out every tarmac race course too.

ok lets be real, motocross is unique among motorsports in that the courses we ride are always changing, moto to moto , week to week. honestly i think we're a bit spoiled in that regard. to a point i dont see a problem with not revamping a track every year.

Loook at Southwick, this years track was relatively an awesome layout. whats funny is it was the old layout, the track had gotten so far away from what made it awesome that it wasnt the same anymore
race
8/5/2016 2:34pm
Track features aside, I would imagine DC sees a huge P/R value in having and keeping the event there. A name like Loretta Lynn carries a lot of clout in the non-moto world. Folksy, homey, country star ... wholesome values all adds up to a big plus in public perception.

Now maybe they could put up the world's largest EZ-Up for the rain?

David Izer
8/5/2016 2:58pm
That would be like moving The Masters from Augusta.
8/5/2016 3:05pm
Disagree for many of the reasons already mentioned. This track puts everyone to the test every year.
MotoX85
8/5/2016 3:25pm
Nobody said they should move it, it just needs to be changed more every year. Do not need massive jumps but this is motocross and everyone says SX is "so important" (I personally hate SX) but yet there are next to no jumps on this track. 90% of the track is hammered ruts, which are important, but so is every part of an mx track. They can keep it at lorettas but more changes are required. Also, it is hard to judge from tv, but this track is way to narrow. The "tunnel of love" is barely 3 bikes wide.

Again, no one would ever WANT to ride this track
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
8/5/2016 3:25pm
i don tsee a reason to move it. its not like the MXdN where it travels the globe. this is the Loretta Lynn Nat. That would be like moving the unadilla race to some butthole track and still calling it the "unadilla" national.

Post a reply to: Loretta Lynn needs a new track

The Latest