Looks like paid to much for Pandemic racing scooters hitting the used market

wwdiii
Edited Date/Time 10/1/2022 10:06am
Looks like to me quite a few used dirt bikes have hit the market, Houston Texas area. Maybe for sale with an asking price above current market. I’m always poking around in the event I see something I want to go along with the two in the garage I seldom ride. My gut tells me people are trying to get rid of dirt bikes they may have paid a premium for a while back. Either trying to dump wanting something new or inflation motivation. My guess the latter.

I looked at a used YZ 250 a week or so back and would have bought it but concerned it had radical porting for lack of better terms. He wasn’t asking anything crazy. He might have been a couple of hundred bucks high. The read I got was it had been for sale for a month and I might have been the only one to look at it so far. I may even check back with him and buy it. Just depends on what world I wake up in next week.

I look at the 2 stroke YZ’s on face book market place and the same ones have been on there for a good while. Unless someone is hurting for money in most cases they will keep something as opposed to taking a hit.

My gut also tells me when the market was hot in the past the only thing available may have been Suzuki RMZ’s. I see some used 4-5 year old RMZ’s with a stupid high price.

I’m not going to say a guy can buy 350 KTM off the floor, but the shops around me had 250 and 450 KTM, Kawasaki and Hondas a few weeks back on the show room floor. So scarcity of new wouldn’t see to me a problem. Markers can vary depending on what part of the country.

Figured this would be an interesting topic to discuss. Thoughts comments please.

Thanks Billy

|
Zerofear66
9/27/2022 9:32am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2022 9:33am
Yep. I see tons of well used way over priced bikes online for months. I mean anyone can ASK whatever they want, it doesn't usually equate to them getting what they ask. It also seems to be infectious lol.

9/27/2022 9:46am
Zerofear66 wrote:
Yep. I see tons of well used way over priced bikes online for months. I mean anyone can ASK whatever they want, it doesn't usually equate...
Yep. I see tons of well used way over priced bikes online for months. I mean anyone can ASK whatever they want, it doesn't usually equate to them getting what they ask. It also seems to be infectious lol.

Same in New England/NY/PA. Nobody is biting on the asking prices it seems though as you can see them dropping priced by $1K. Even then they still want too much. I'll just go buy a new bike for the money they want
SGoodman
9/27/2022 9:47am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2022 9:48am
Nearly every bike i see listed on FB marketplace, has had its price reduced.... market has completely stalled... and I still have a bike listed on there from 3 months ago.... a 19 model listed at 2k under MSRP and not a single nibble...
AH387
9/27/2022 9:56am
I think the cost of things/every day life is starting to hit home for many people. So the market on bikes should level out. I'm sure there is still demand and some of that is maybe due to delays and whatnot of the new bikes. But I too have seen "closeout pricing" on 2022s, which I have not seen that for a couple years now, in my area. Plus I saw another discussion about how in the bicycle industry, it has fallen way off and now a lot of places are actually overstocked, as they were trying to keep up with how the demand was for the last couple years.

The Shop

R VanKamp77
9/27/2022 10:03am
I'm experiencing this. My 2021 YZ250 is immaculate, and has been for sale for 8 months now. I'm also upside down in it, and will pay a significant amount out of pocket to get the title to the buyer. I will "pay to sell" my bike basically. Not pandemic related, people do stupid things when they graduate and get their first good job.

This is a lesson I have learned and will not repeat.

I also am still seeing many used bikes still priced above what a new one would cost or right at it.
Talisker
9/27/2022 10:10am
Im on Facebook Market Place Houston all the time just looking to see what for sale. I think things are finally starting to slow down and the bottom maybe starting to fallout. Have noticed a few bikes not selling also. Just wait, people will be giving away 22 YZ450's to get a new bike that they are not faster on. You are correct on the Suzuki's, people are asking ridiculous prices. They maybe first time Suzuki owners. Their feelings will definitely get hurt once they realize what they will have to sell the bike for. Cant wait till dealership prices start to reflect the used bike market.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
9/27/2022 10:15am
wwdiii wrote:
Looks like to me quite a few used dirt bikes have hit the market, Houston Texas area. Maybe for sale with an asking price above current...
Looks like to me quite a few used dirt bikes have hit the market, Houston Texas area. Maybe for sale with an asking price above current market. I’m always poking around in the event I see something I want to go along with the two in the garage I seldom ride. My gut tells me people are trying to get rid of dirt bikes they may have paid a premium for a while back. Either trying to dump wanting something new or inflation motivation. My guess the latter.

I looked at a used YZ 250 a week or so back and would have bought it but concerned it had radical porting for lack of better terms. He wasn’t asking anything crazy. He might have been a couple of hundred bucks high. The read I got was it had been for sale for a month and I might have been the only one to look at it so far. I may even check back with him and buy it. Just depends on what world I wake up in next week.

I look at the 2 stroke YZ’s on face book market place and the same ones have been on there for a good while. Unless someone is hurting for money in most cases they will keep something as opposed to taking a hit.

My gut also tells me when the market was hot in the past the only thing available may have been Suzuki RMZ’s. I see some used 4-5 year old RMZ’s with a stupid high price.

I’m not going to say a guy can buy 350 KTM off the floor, but the shops around me had 250 and 450 KTM, Kawasaki and Hondas a few weeks back on the show room floor. So scarcity of new wouldn’t see to me a problem. Markers can vary depending on what part of the country.

Figured this would be an interesting topic to discuss. Thoughts comments please.

Thanks Billy

Why were you concerned it had "radical porting" ? and what do you consider to be "radical porting" and why would that stop you on buying that bike if it was a decent deal ?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
9/27/2022 10:15am Edited Date/Time 9/28/2022 8:27am
2008 is calling.
wwdiii
9/27/2022 10:24am
I thought about trying to sell my 2014 YZ250f but doubt it will sell unless I drop the price crazy low. Good thing I bought it right 3 years or so back, only has 34 hours and great shape. I’d like to have something new with electric start but new prices with all the dealer fees are more than I want to pay. Wouldn’t change my life style one bit to throw money at something new or newer but what little common sense I have says not to do it.

You hear it from people in real estate, something is only worth what you can get for it. Once that soaks in with the market used prices come even further down. One thing about life, it never stays the same.
wwdiii
9/27/2022 10:54am
wwdiii wrote:
Looks like to me quite a few used dirt bikes have hit the market, Houston Texas area. Maybe for sale with an asking price above current...

Thanks Billy

lostboy819 wrote:
Why were you concerned it had "radical porting" ? and what do you consider to be "radical porting" and why would that stop you on buying...
Why were you concerned it had "radical porting" ? and what do you consider to be "radical porting" and why would that stop you on buying that bike if it was a decent deal ?
That’s a good question on radical porting. Just my gut feel from the read I got from the guy trying to sell based on how hard it hit. He all but said it was a mistake and shouldn’t have bought it. The bike had been raced according to the current owner. He bought from what I gathered to be a serious 2 stroke racer. I grew up racing two strokes in the 70’s.. I’ve ported, polished and matched transfers on my share back in the day. The guy trying to sell it came out more than once it hit way to hard for him to ride it. I asked if it ran good on high octane pump gas and he said it did. He buys gas at the same place I do. Also got a read it had quite a few hrs on bottom end. Something told me it was a little to warmed over for some reason. I didn’t get a good feel and something told me to steer clear for the time being and keep watching the market.

I may give the guy a call and see if he still has it. I may have been over thinking it. Even if I wasn’t, it’s not like stock YZ cylinders can’t be bought right.

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
9/27/2022 11:07am
I sold my 06’ YZ250 for $3,500 after I ate shit in 2020. About 6 months before the crazy used bike “Covid” prices kicked in. Pipe, Shorty, titanium rear spring, suspension dialed, reeds and cage, oversized disc, steel braided lines, Gucci colored radiator hoses, an extra motion pro kickstand and fmf spark arrestor for off road use, spare chain sliders, plastic, pipe mounts, grips, bars, levers, a box of parts....
I’d pay 45 to buy it all back. Oh well hindsight’s 20/20
sam hain
9/27/2022 11:29am
I've got a 2020 Husky FX350 I can't seem to give away. Its on consignment at my dealer now and I've had it on marketplace for over 6wks with no interest. My dealer told me 2wks ago he hasn't sold a dirt bike in a month, I think people just getting tired of spending money in general no matter how cheap something is. I have my bike priced at $6800 which seems like a decent price to me considering everything I've done to it.
R VanKamp77
9/27/2022 11:37am
sam hain wrote:
I've got a 2020 Husky FX350 I can't seem to give away. Its on consignment at my dealer now and I've had it on marketplace for...
I've got a 2020 Husky FX350 I can't seem to give away. Its on consignment at my dealer now and I've had it on marketplace for over 6wks with no interest. My dealer told me 2wks ago he hasn't sold a dirt bike in a month, I think people just getting tired of spending money in general no matter how cheap something is. I have my bike priced at $6800 which seems like a decent price to me considering everything I've done to it.
This is how I feel. I'm not buying ANYTHING. It's all gotten so tiresome. Nearly everything has doubled in price and to be honest even riding is causing financial burnout. I don't even mind an off weekend here or there anymore simply because I need a rest from the incessant spending.

I'm waiting for one of the new IRS agents to get assigned to me and charge me an hourly rate for breathing.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/27/2022 11:57am
The market is cooling dramatically, but it is still being partially buoyed by supply chain difficulties and seasonal factors (for dirt bikes in warm states, anyway.)

The problem I see for sellers on the horizon is this: there are a lot of units that were purchased in 2020-2021 which will all be competing with one another for fewer buyers. That scenario is just beginning, and it will drive prices down. Any additional recession factors will only make the buyer pool smaller.
500 Mike
9/27/2022 12:14pm
Falcon wrote:
The market is cooling dramatically, but it is still being partially buoyed by supply chain difficulties and seasonal factors (for dirt bikes in warm states, anyway.)...
The market is cooling dramatically, but it is still being partially buoyed by supply chain difficulties and seasonal factors (for dirt bikes in warm states, anyway.)

The problem I see for sellers on the horizon is this: there are a lot of units that were purchased in 2020-2021 which will all be competing with one another for fewer buyers. That scenario is just beginning, and it will drive prices down. Any additional recession factors will only make the buyer pool smaller.
Can't agree with you more. The bottom has yet to fall out of the economy and when it does, people will be taking whatever they can get for their bikes. As quickly as prices turned up in 20-21 they will go the other way in 23. I hope I'm wrong but we'll see.
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
9/27/2022 12:14pm
Stuff around here seems to be sitting on marketplace for longer also......I have 2 125s i and rebuilding then going to try to sell, i was going to also freshen my 18 250f and get rid of it, but I may just freshen it and keep, dont want to spend the extra coin on a bike for myself. I already am committed to a new 250f for the kid and possible a used practice bike.
9/27/2022 12:17pm
If you are needing an example of flooded market syndrome , just look at Harley Davidson over the past ten years.
JG463
9/27/2022 12:34pm
If you are needing an example of flooded market syndrome , just look at Harley Davidson over the past ten years.
This is far from the truth. Most dealers are at DSRP instead of MSRP. You can’t get enough new bikes.

From a GSM of multiple HD stores.
gharmon
9/27/2022 12:39pm
The problem for me anyway, is all these people bought these bikes at dealerships that had all those insanely stupid add on prices. Where i live at in the southeast there are three dealers that i use at any given time that charge ZERO fees. They just work them into their otd of msrp and make the math and line items look good to satisfy everyone involved.

So, these people that paid these $2k+ "fees" want to sell but their asking prices are more than i can get a new one with zero hours vs their well-warm 1-2 y/o bikes. The supply of new bikes is still an issue though.

Im currently waiting on a 23 husky 125 that i will pay msrp otd when it arrives. Some dealers just get it! I priced a couple 21 and 22 husky 125's but im not paying what they want. They would not budge. Plus, we kinda want the new efi, electric start 125.

On the flip side i should have sold my 2015 yz250 7-8 months ago for $4500-$5000. Guess ill just keep it now. I paid $2600 for it in August 2019! Man how times have changed but i fear its going to get nasty soon..

9/27/2022 12:51pm
Will the car market cool too? I need a truck.
Looks like the housing market is going down also.
GG121
9/27/2022 12:52pm
There will be deals of a lifetime on A-kit suspension in 6 months just you wait. If you need to sell a bike now, take a $1000 hit and get it gone. Layoffs really have only just begun in corporate jobs, has not hit main street yet. But it will happen and bikes, A-kit, pickups, everything will start flooding the market.
Hammer 663s
9/27/2022 12:53pm
I pulled my name off the list for a 23 125SX for the boy. The 20 will get rebuilt and made safe, and he will ride that. Our moto $$$s have been drastically reduced. The economy is heading deep into the shitter and it's gonna get ugly. Hope I'm just being chicken little but.......
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/27/2022 1:05pm
JG463 wrote:
This is far from the truth. Most dealers are at DSRP instead of MSRP. You can’t get enough new bikes. From a GSM of multiple HD...
This is far from the truth. Most dealers are at DSRP instead of MSRP. You can’t get enough new bikes.

Yep. Harley has been having trouble supplying their dealers for a long time now. Plenty of buyers, not enough bikes. If you want a Harley, you're still paying big $. Cool
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/27/2022 1:10pm
Will the car market cool too? I need a truck.
Looks like the housing market is going down also.
I expect all consumer products to drop in value as the buyers tighten the purse strings. The only reason prices aren't plummeting right now is the ongoing supply restrictions, which will probably persist throughout 2023. In a way, it's good we cannot get new products, because it will help the pre-owned market.

GG121 is right; bikes, A-Kit, trucks, plus boats, RVs, bicycles, ski equipment.... all that stuff that sold out in the summer/fall of '20 will be saturated on the used market at some point soon.
c0ncEpT
9/27/2022 1:10pm
SGoodman wrote:
Nearly every bike i see listed on FB marketplace, has had its price reduced.... market has completely stalled... and I still have a bike listed on...
Nearly every bike i see listed on FB marketplace, has had its price reduced.... market has completely stalled... and I still have a bike listed on there from 3 months ago.... a 19 model listed at 2k under MSRP and not a single nibble...
You're trying to sell a bike that's now 4 model years old for only 2k under new MSRP? No wonder your still sitting on it.
Mossy940
9/27/2022 1:12pm
The salesman at the dealership I bought my daughters quad from last year pointed to a brand new 2500 Denali sitting in the parking lot. Said he paid for it in cash from his commission over the last 18 months.

Guy was super cool and goes “we’re selling side by sides 15k above what their worth all day long. I haven’t had any dirtbike bike other than a Suzuki sit on the floor for more than a day….I don’t know where these people are getting their money from, but their money paid for my dream truck”

Really struck me that an average dude working at a dealership made enough money in a year that he bought that truck cash - that there was so much demand and price hiking that he was able to do that.

I can’t even imagine the deals that are going to come up in the next year or so….
500 Mike
9/27/2022 1:19pm
Just read that the futures price for Lumber is back down to pre-Covid levels. Maybe there is hope for a return to sanity... but I won't hold my breath.
YZed250
9/27/2022 1:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2022 1:33pm
I sold one bike too low in April 2019 (250sx).

In the meantime, I bought basket case FC250, TTR125, KTM 300XC and a good used KTM 250SXF. Pretty happy with my purchases, just not so happy with my sale (250SX).

I'm sure there are guys that did both ... sold too low during 2018-2019 and bought brand new bikes with all the fees during the peak.
9/27/2022 1:32pm
JG463 wrote:
This is far from the truth. Most dealers are at DSRP instead of MSRP. You can’t get enough new bikes. From a GSM of multiple HD...

Howdy JG463 , my point was that the used market for H-D is flooded. My bad if I did not make that clear. If you check Craigslist , Cycle Trader, et al, you will see that 33% of all the motorbikes listed are H-D models. Like the Harley market, the MX market is aging out of the desire to purchase motorcycles. It will not happen in a couple years , but it definitely is starting to roll that way. Very few youngsters are interested in dirt bikes , as compared to when I was
young . ( 70’s- 80’s) . Just my take on it , you are certainly allowed to disagree.

Post a reply to: Looks like paid to much for Pandemic racing scooters hitting the used market

The Latest