Looks like PING has seen the Light!

Related:
Create New Tag

3/18/2019 3:30 PM

The joy of riding Streetbikes. cool
(In the new RacerX)
Photo

There's nothing like going out to the garage key in hand and the adrenaline starts right away!

No loading up, driving an hour plus, putting your gear on etc.

Yeah it's not for everybody and the risk involved if you crash can be much higher. You have to use your head and watch out for the cagers who don't pay attention, but the payoff for good times and the places a streetbike can take you is worth it to me.

Who here has one and what do you have? I know of a few. smile

|

3/18/2019 3:35 PM

I keep a few street legal bikes around just to get a quick fix. Very fun. I have on roaders like a Grom, a cb500x, and an African twin...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

3/18/2019 3:42 PM

I sold a Triumph Speed Triple several years ago...still miss it. Surface streets give me an ulcer...but cruising the canyons is almost as much fun as ripping single track.

|

3/18/2019 3:51 PM

An RC51 and a 1000RR, but I pretty much stick to the track days. I don't get much enjoyment out of street riding or cruising. I've personally seen my friends get run into from behind at red lights, taken out by a dog, and cause each other to crash like morons. Not to mention I've had a few near misses with cars changing their minds at the last second.

|

3/18/2019 3:52 PM

My garage gets smokey with the likes of an rgv nsr tzr 250's and this cool 150 tzr from Thailand. I stay off the highways and such an seek out the twisty roads.

Photo

|

3/18/2019 3:59 PM

My friend called this weekend and asked me to ride his bike from his house to his storage unit, I guess he picked it up in return for some debt owed to him and he doesn't ride motorcycles. I took the thing out and ripped it around. It wheelies like a 450 on pavement. Very fun, but no thanks I don't want to become road kill...

Any Ducati guys know what this is worth? I guess it's a 2010 Hypermotard 796. It only has 3500 miles on it and he's got receipts for 7.5k in parts. I know you don't get your money back for aftermarket parts, but wondering how much a bike like this is worth from 2010? He's got a funny headlight on it, but the whole bike is like new.

Photo

|

3/18/2019 4:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2019 4:28 PM

Shawn142 wrote:

An RC51 and a 1000RR, but I pretty much stick to the track days. I don't get much enjoyment out of street riding or cruising. I've personally seen my friends get run into from behind at red lights, taken out by a dog, and cause each other to crash like morons. Not to mention I've had a few near misses with cars changing their minds at the last second.

If you get rear ended at a red light it means u dont know how to ride. Street riding takes knowing how to ride + an entirely different set of defensive techniques.

Your supposed to stop off to either the right or left of the lane, its almost always going to be right but depends, keep the bike in gear hand on clutch and throttle, then look in your mirror at EVERY stop until the car behind you comes to a stop. Even then depending on if Im in front Ill keep it in gear the entire time so I can take off if someone gets squirly in the intersection.

If theres a car in front of me Ill pull all the way to the right to where if someone doesnt stop they rear end the car in front of me. Im looking in the rearview so the second I see them approaching Im gone. Even if I dont have time theyll go past my left into the car and not me...

Notice Im off to the right? 1. That means I can easily accelerate forward up next to the car in front of me to safety. 2. The car behind me will rear end the car in front. If you ride like this theres a 99.9999% chance you wont get hit, its ALMOST impossible.

Only when the car stops will I ever take it out of gear to stretch. At that point Im boxed in and safe. This is just intersections theres probably 500 different defensive techniques Im going through at all times. People dont understand this type of riding and those are the people that get hurt... Obviously anything can happen but you can knock out a couple hundred of the most common scenarios and make it so only if SHTF will you go down.

|

3/18/2019 4:21 PM

Believe it or not, i recently bought a Honda ruckus scooter and it is SO fun. My old man bought one too and it has been an absolute blast tearing up the towns on them. They will only do about 45 but still fun and easy to get around on.

|

3/18/2019 4:26 PM

Shawn142 wrote:

An RC51 and a 1000RR, but I pretty much stick to the track days. I don't get much enjoyment out of street riding or cruising. I've personally seen my friends get run into from behind at red lights, taken out by a dog, and cause each other to crash like morons. Not to mention I've had a few near misses with cars changing their minds at the last second.

drt410 wrote:

If you get rear ended at a red light it means u dont know how to ride. Street riding takes knowing how to ride + an entirely different set of defensive techniques.

Your supposed to stop off to either the right or left of the lane, its almost always going to be right but depends, keep the bike in gear hand on clutch and throttle, then look in your mirror at EVERY stop until the car behind you comes to a stop. Even then depending on if Im in front Ill keep it in gear the entire time so I can take off if someone gets squirly in the intersection.

If theres a car in front of me Ill pull all the way to the right to where if someone doesnt stop they rear end the car in front of me. Im looking in the rearview so the second I see them approaching Im gone. Even if I dont have time theyll go past my left into the car and not me...

Notice Im off to the right? 1. That means I can easily accelerate forward up next to the car in front of me to safety. 2. The car behind me will rear end the car in front. If you ride like this theres a 99.9999% chance you wont get hit, its ALMOST impossible.

Only when the car stops will I ever take it out of gear to stretch. At that point Im boxed in and safe. This is just intersections theres probably 500 different defensive techniques Im going through at all times. People dont understand this type of riding and those are the people that get hurt... Obviously anything can happen but you can knock out a couple hundred of the most common scenarios and make it so only if SHTF will you go down.

Not ever being able to let my guard down was the main reason I don’t enjoy riding surface streets. It really takes all the fun out of it.

|

3/18/2019 4:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2019 4:42 PM

Shawn142 wrote:

An RC51 and a 1000RR, but I pretty much stick to the track days. I don't get much enjoyment out of street riding or cruising. I've personally seen my friends get run into from behind at red lights, taken out by a dog, and cause each other to crash like morons. Not to mention I've had a few near misses with cars changing their minds at the last second.

drt410 wrote:

If you get rear ended at a red light it means u dont know how to ride. Street riding takes knowing how to ride + an entirely different set of defensive techniques.

Your supposed to stop off to either the right or left of the lane, its almost always going to be right but depends, keep the bike in gear hand on clutch and throttle, then look in your mirror at EVERY stop until the car behind you comes to a stop. Even then depending on if Im in front Ill keep it in gear the entire time so I can take off if someone gets squirly in the intersection.

If theres a car in front of me Ill pull all the way to the right to where if someone doesnt stop they rear end the car in front of me. Im looking in the rearview so the second I see them approaching Im gone. Even if I dont have time theyll go past my left into the car and not me...

Notice Im off to the right? 1. That means I can easily accelerate forward up next to the car in front of me to safety. 2. The car behind me will rear end the car in front. If you ride like this theres a 99.9999% chance you wont get hit, its ALMOST impossible.

Only when the car stops will I ever take it out of gear to stretch. At that point Im boxed in and safe. This is just intersections theres probably 500 different defensive techniques Im going through at all times. People dont understand this type of riding and those are the people that get hurt... Obviously anything can happen but you can knock out a couple hundred of the most common scenarios and make it so only if SHTF will you go down.

Titan1 wrote:

Not ever being able to let my guard down was the main reason I don’t enjoy riding surface streets. It really takes all the fun out of it.

Agreed, I sold my last bike for that reason.. Im just stating how it is though. The fact that you say it that way means I know for a fact you know how to ride, because when you do its not fun. I mean it is, but its stressful. The friends who got rear ended let their guard down. It definitely gets old. The people out there having an absolute blast dont know how much they dont know, because if you know what your doing the entire ride is on edge and stressful as hell. Sooo many people “know how to ride” technically, as in can work the motorcycle very well, but dont know wtf theyre doing at all when it comes to strategy.

This is why so many people get hurt. When you know what the hell your doing your mind is running through 100 scenarios per second and every single movement you make is on purpose and for a reason. Its stressful as hell and tiring, but very safe. Its honestly more safe than a car because you let your guard down in a car and fuck with the radio, a bike is skinny, nimble, and your on your toes 100% of the time. Its VERY safe when your experienced and mature. It also sucks...

|

3/18/2019 4:40 PM

l love riding on the street as much as dirt honestly. Me and my friends will go on adventures finding abandoned places, new scenic roads, or small dive bars somewhere new. I stay away from busy roads and highways. Its like paved trail riding for me.

|

3/18/2019 4:50 PM

2008 KTM 530 excr. Mainly ride the forest & off road. Periodically ride the road with some friends.

Gman, Old Blue is still in the garage, it needs a oil and filter change... you want to ride?

|

3/18/2019 5:54 PM

Have a gsxr600. Only time its remotely fun is when youre going 100mph+. Traffic ruins it 90% of the time

|

3/18/2019 6:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2019 6:48 PM

drt410 wrote:

If you get rear ended at a red light it means u dont know how to ride. Street riding takes knowing how to ride + an entirely different set of defensive techniques.

Your supposed to stop off to either the right or left of the lane, its almost always going to be right but depends, keep the bike in gear hand on clutch and throttle, then look in your mirror at EVERY stop until the car behind you comes to a stop. Even then depending on if Im in front Ill keep it in gear the entire time so I can take off if someone gets squirly in the intersection.

If theres a car in front of me Ill pull all the way to the right to where if someone doesnt stop they rear end the car in front of me. Im looking in the rearview so the second I see them approaching Im gone. Even if I dont have time theyll go past my left into the car and not me...

Notice Im off to the right? 1. That means I can easily accelerate forward up next to the car in front of me to safety. 2. The car behind me will rear end the car in front. If you ride like this theres a 99.9999% chance you wont get hit, its ALMOST impossible.

Only when the car stops will I ever take it out of gear to stretch. At that point Im boxed in and safe. This is just intersections theres probably 500 different defensive techniques Im going through at all times. People dont understand this type of riding and those are the people that get hurt... Obviously anything can happen but you can knock out a couple hundred of the most common scenarios and make it so only if SHTF will you go down.

Titan1 wrote:

Not ever being able to let my guard down was the main reason I don’t enjoy riding surface streets. It really takes all the fun out of it.

drt410 wrote:

Agreed, I sold my last bike for that reason.. Im just stating how it is though. The fact that you say it that way means I know for a fact you know how to ride, because when you do its not fun. I mean it is, but its stressful. The friends who got rear ended let their guard down. It definitely gets old. The people out there having an absolute blast dont know how much they dont know, because if you know what your doing the entire ride is on edge and stressful as hell. Sooo many people “know how to ride” technically, as in can work the motorcycle very well, but dont know wtf theyre doing at all when it comes to strategy.

This is why so many people get hurt. When you know what the hell your doing your mind is running through 100 scenarios per second and every single movement you make is on purpose and for a reason. Its stressful as hell and tiring, but very safe. Its honestly more safe than a car because you let your guard down in a car and fuck with the radio, a bike is skinny, nimble, and your on your toes 100% of the time. Its VERY safe when your experienced and mature. It also sucks...

I miss Triumph, for sure. But I agree with everything you said, it was exhausting riding on surface streets. I eventually stopped commuting on it, and I’d still rather ride dirt, so most all my free time I was riding dirt...and my streeter sat in the garage for an entire year only getting ridden a handful of times, so I sold it.

Riding made me a much better/safer Car driver. I am much more aware of what is going on around me, blind spots, etc.

|

3/18/2019 6:57 PM

Photo
Having the FZ09 is the perfect compliment to riding moto.
|

3/18/2019 7:06 PM

Freeways are still scaring the shit out of me but I’ve been having so much damn fun on my Svartepilen... don’t know why I waited so long to get my license.

|

3/18/2019 7:08 PM

Along with dirt bikes, I've been riding street bikes for a long time, too. Probably well over 200k miles on street bikes over the last few decades. Lots of just commuting, occasionally going out to the mountains.

Got rid of the of sport bikes (CBR, GSXR, ZX-7) and now have a KTM Duke 640. An absolute SHIT TON of fun! Holy crap, just going to the grocery store is a blast. And going out to Palomar mountain is way more fun than on a bigger bike. I am currently working on a monster headlight for it so that this summer when it's way hot out, I can go out ripping around in the hills at night. Love riding at night! Photo

|

3/18/2019 7:17 PM

Titan1 wrote:

I sold a Triumph Speed Triple several years ago...still miss it. Surface streets give me an ulcer...but cruising the canyons is almost as much fun as ripping single track.

I worked at a triumph dealership in my youth. My dream bike is either a street triple or a Daytona 675. Beautiful bikes.
The only street bike I’ve owned is a Yamaha fz6 and that bike was amazing, even compared to my friends r6.

|

3/18/2019 7:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2019 7:21 PM

dpingree101 wrote:

Freeways are still scaring the shit out of me but I’ve been having so much damn fun on my Svartepilen... don’t know why I waited so long to get my license.

Yer a fireman? And you still got a street Bike? Hard to believe. But it looks like fun. Retired RC51 owner (it only really started working right at about 85+ mph). Take a Keith Code class, you’ll live longer.

|

3/18/2019 7:32 PM

Have had many different street bikes over the years. Currently have a 2014 Moto Guzzi 1400 cruiser/tourer (geezer bike). Last one before this bike was a '05 Yamaha R1. Fun bike, but not good for keeping a driver's license.

|

3/18/2019 7:39 PM

Best of both worlds fellas
Photo

|

3/18/2019 7:48 PM

Got 5 street bikes currently from vintage to sport bikes to harley. Wifey rides her own. Ridden across the country, been put in a wheelchair for a while cause of a dumb car driver, riden the Dragon nearly a dozen different times. Have lots of good stories and memories built up from me and my friends over the years. Now that we got kids we dont get near the miles we used to on them but I ride to work almost every day that the weather is suitable. I plan on riding untill I physically cant any more, then maybe get a trike I guess. Training the next generation the same way I learned... in the dirt on the track, by the time they can legaly street ride they will be well prepared.

|

3/18/2019 8:05 PM

dpingree101 wrote:

Freeways are still scaring the shit out of me but I’ve been having so much damn fun on my Svartepilen... don’t know why I waited so long to get my license.

Congrats! Having raced motocross, desert and then supermoto the transition to street riding was easy. I agree, definitely feel like moto guys are better street riders. I've kept my street license in all the states I've lived since I got it (Utah, California, Pennsylvania, Texas, California [again]). I started with a '78 naked Goldwing which kept me largely out of trouble until I got a VTR1000...fun times. Living in Los Angeles, the only way to commute is on the bike!

Does that Svartepilen have a slipper clutch? Fun looking bike! Stripped down.

|

3/18/2019 8:24 PM

Ninja 636. Street, commute on back roads, and let it loose at track days.

|

3/18/2019 8:25 PM

Ninja 636. Back roads riding and commuting. And letting it rip at track days.

|

3/18/2019 8:26 PM

636 ninja.

|

3/18/2019 8:49 PM

I really want one of those new huskys, but I’m scared shitless of someone’s grandma in a 1983 Lincoln Towncar or worse, some 16 year old girl posting on Twitter while driving.

MX skills can’t always stop a 3 ton metal box with a nut behind the wheel....

|

3/18/2019 9:20 PM

just James wrote:

Have had many different street bikes over the years. Currently have a 2014 Moto Guzzi 1400 cruiser/tourer (geezer bike). Last one before this bike was a '05 Yamaha R1. Fun bike, but not good for keeping a driver's license.

That's pretty incredible, I have a 2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring, also......


Small world out here.

|

3/18/2019 9:23 PM

ZX10 for track days only.

Had a "talk" with the owner of SCI in Houston after doing 90 MPH wheelies down Post Oak on a Sunday morning after he pulled me over. He invited me over to the mortuary to see why they call them "donor cycles" and took time out of his Billionaire life to teach me.

I seen a lot of bad crashes before texting came about. Honestly I can't believe I survived my street squid days.

Now it is track days only. Life begins + 100 MPH for a sport bike and this just gets you killed on the street.

|

3/18/2019 9:25 PM

When I go camping up in the mountains driving back down Angeles Crest scares me to death thinking of a sportbike washing the front and ending up under my F150. This coming from a guy who could have easily been in a much different spot if fractions of feet were different.

I still maintain my class m endorsement, but just rent a bike when I want to ride for a day or two here and there each month. More than that is just tempting fate in LA proper traffic.

|