Looking to get into Motocross at age 22-23?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/21/2020 12:43 AM

Hello dirt monkeys,

i'm looking to get into motocross myself at age 22-23, i've Always been a motorsport fan (F1, karting, etc...) so i'm used to speed & adrenaline, however i know that motorcross will be something entirely different & will be very hard to learn, i have no skills on a dirtbike whatsoever, i only know the theoretical way of driving a dirtbike.
Now my question is, is it adviced to start motocross at my age? as if i didnt start at a very young age… i'm not looking to do any races / competitive motorcross although i have a goal to enter a supercross race in my area that has a hobby category.
I'm still looking to get myself a bike & gear (expensive i know) but i would like to know the opinion of this forum about my age & in what mindset i should put myself in. i know it will be a very long learning curve & i have to take it really slow, i'm a speed / adrenaline junky myself & like to run ahead of my skills...

So, your advice & expertise about all this is very well appreciated, any questions i will gladly answer.

Note that my girlfriends brother & his friend does motorcross as well, he will help me out too.

THANKS!!!

|

1/21/2020 12:48 AM

If you have the money to do it, then absolutely!

|

1/21/2020 12:51 AM

aeffertz wrote:

If you have the money to do it, then absolutely!

Heck, i'm still saving up to get myself a decent bike (second hand ofcourse..) there are alot of different bikes & build years of them out there, it's a maze for somoene like me, Kawasaki or Yamaha took my eye atm.

|

1/21/2020 12:58 AM

If you have friends that ride take one and go look at some well priced used bikes. As you might no like it and you can always upgrade. As for gear always get a new helmet as you don’t know what’s happened to a used one.
I’ve been in and out for 30 years now and still love it as much as ever.
Motocross is awesome and I’d say go for it just don’t buy a lemon and don’t buy a bike with stupid power for your first.

|

1/21/2020 12:59 AM

I only got into the sport at 23 also. I'm now 25.

I'm now completely hooked. I takes a while to acquire absolute everything you need likes tools but you'll have them for life.

Like said above if you have the money why not. Beats getting wasted in the pubs all weekend.

I plan on entering my first race this year which will be a learning curve.

|

1/21/2020 1:01 AM

Deja New wrote:

If you have friends that ride take one and go look at some well priced used bikes. As you might no like it and you can always upgrade. As for gear always get a new helmet as you don’t know what’s happened to a used one.
I’ve been in and out for 30 years now and still love it as much as ever.
Motocross is awesome and I’d say go for it just don’t buy a lemon and don’t buy a bike with stupid power for your first.

I'm looking to get myself a 250, as advised by my girlfriends brother.

|

1/21/2020 1:03 AM

lukeylad wrote:

I only got into the sport at 23 also. I'm now 25.

I'm now completely hooked. I takes a while to acquire absolute everything you need likes tools but you'll have them for life.

Like said above if you have the money why not. Beats getting wasted in the pubs all weekend.

I plan on entering my first race this year which will be a learning curve.

Ahh, how was your experience from 23 to now? do you feel like you have learned enough or are you still behind on alot of techinques & such? i'll probably be hooked for life too, but my biggest fear is being behind in skill alot & actually frustrate other drivers on the tracks here because i'm so "slow"

|

1/21/2020 1:55 AM

lukeylad wrote:

I only got into the sport at 23 also. I'm now 25.

I'm now completely hooked. I takes a while to acquire absolute everything you need likes tools but you'll have them for life.

Like said above if you have the money why not. Beats getting wasted in the pubs all weekend.

I plan on entering my first race this year which will be a learning curve.

FuseMX21 wrote:

Ahh, how was your experience from 23 to now? do you feel like you have learned enough or are you still behind on alot of techinques & such? i'll probably be hooked for life too, but my biggest fear is being behind in skill alot & actually frustrate other drivers on the tracks here because i'm so "slow"

The difference in speed is night and day. I compared go-pro footage a local track from 2018 to 2019 (around a year apart). I was 1m24s quicker. You gradually get faster so it's good to look back and see the difference over a longer time period.

Alot of the tracks in the UK are sand and are rough 70% of the year. I try practising on these types of tracks when others stay at home. I found by doing this that i would be hell of a lot quicker when it got to the good stuff

My worry was i would be behind alot also. My biggest issue was more fitness. I could barely do 2 laps without pulling over. That's when my technique went out the window.

I would say your technique becomes better when your fitness improves. Seat time is the key.

Just remember to go and have fun. Fuck everybody else.

|

1/21/2020 1:58 AM

23 years old should read 23 years young. I am 42 who started racing bikes at the age of 7 but you know what no matter the age we all start from somewhere. I used to work at a Motorcycle dealership and I remember an 80 year old from the country (No Lie) walking in with his YZ250 2 Stroke and walking out with a brand new RMZ450 in exchange. Age should have no boundaries.

|

1/21/2020 2:18 AM

Scott_Bate wrote:

23 years old should read 23 years young. I am 42 who started racing bikes at the age of 7 but you know what no matter the age we all start from somewhere. I used to work at a Motorcycle dealership and I remember an 80 year old from the country (No Lie) walking in with his YZ250 2 Stroke and walking out with a brand new RMZ450 in exchange. Age should have no boundaries.

Thanks, this really helped me alot, i hope the people on the tracks around here have the same mindset & are willing to help me out.

I really hope i can race a supercross one day, probably never as a national or Inter, but as a hobby contender would satisfy me allready.

|

1/21/2020 2:28 AM

My wife started at around 24 when we got together. She is 35 now and still improving. The best thing I did was get her a coaching day with a local pro/coach. It improved her technique and boosted her confidence. I would highly recommend putting a couple hours on your bike to get used to it and then do some coaching so you have a good baseline technique

|

1/21/2020 2:42 AM

chump6784 wrote:

My wife started at around 24 when we got together. She is 35 now and still improving. The best thing I did was get her a coaching day with a local pro/coach. It improved her technique and boosted her confidence. I would highly recommend putting a couple hours on your bike to get used to it and then do some coaching so you have a good baseline technique

I have looked for coaching around the area, most of it is academy form or event form (including bike rent & such) i hope to find a coach one day tho.

there's a well known one in the area too, but they say he's full of arrogance because he's a former champion & such...

|

1/21/2020 4:25 AM

Motocross*

|

1/21/2020 5:13 AM

I got into this sport at that 22. Bought a used bike, Rode MX for about 2 years, blew up my bike, rebuilt it, sold it and quit. Missed it terribly the entire time and was back on a new bike in about a year. Im 31 now and have quit multiple times for various reasons (injury, career, buy a house...yada yada) Right now im currently on a hiatus after breaking 2 collarbones in 9 months, should be buying another one in a month or two. For me it was the best thing i had ever done. I went from spending my weekends either in the bar or being miserable the next day from the bar to making it a point to not drink, hitting the gym 5-6 days a week and doing everything i can to be in good shape for riding the bike. I moved into woods racing when i bought my second bike and quickly moved into a front row A rider. At 28 i was lining up at national enduros and running with kids 10 years younger than me for the 250A title. Ended up 4th. Made a lot of damn good memories in the process. Its never too late, you never know how good youll be till you try. If i could give some words of advice i wish someone had told me.
Dont worry about getting fast, if you have it, it will come....until then just have fun
If you quit....i cant stress this enough......sell your bike...do NOT sell your gear......youll be back and wishing you still had it.


|

1/21/2020 5:17 AM

I took about a 12 year hiatus - got back in at 19 while I was in college. 23 now.

Start with a 125 - learn how to wrench - 125's are a great place to learn about being your own mechanic - but have someone like your brother in law around to make sure you're wrenching safely for awhile.

Spend some money on boots and a helmet - I broke a foot wearing mid grade boots on a silly low speed crash because of crappy boots.

Other than that really you just have to start doing it - don't let your ego or the people you ride with get ahead of you. Start out a small local tracks then work up from there better tracks as your skills improves.

Have fun and welcome!

|

1/21/2020 5:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2020 5:32 AM

Do it!!!

I’m 23 and have just started riding actual motocross tracks like 4 months ago.

I got my first dirtbike when I was 19 which was a 97 yz125. Rode the shit out of it at my friends backyard track and random trails that I knew of.

This sport is all about having fun man. Get out there to the track and have fun. I was intimidated before going to a real track until I got out there and realized everyone there doesn’t give a fuck how good or bad you are (unless you run a single digit number hahaha

But forreal once you just get out there to the track you’ll feel right at home. Take it slow, with each trip to the track I make it a goal to do another jump that once intimidated me.

A lot of guys on here will give you great advice/tips as well. But the truth is you are plenty young to enjoy the sport, and if you were 20 years older you would still be plenty young, it would just take longer to recover if you got hurt

Now is the time to “get into it” though if you don’t have kids/family/etc.

Start with a 125 2 stroke

|

1/21/2020 5:31 AM

|

1/21/2020 5:37 AM

This is kind of like walking into a bar and asking people if they think you should have a drink!

By all means, yes! As long as you are doing it for fun and don't think you are going to be qualifying for Anaheim SX next year, you will have many years of riding ahead of you.

My little brother is 29 and is planning to enter his first race this year as well.

|

1/21/2020 5:53 AM

mark_swart wrote:

This is kind of like walking into a bar and asking people if they think you should have a drink!

By all means, yes! As long as you are doing it for fun and don't think you are going to be qualifying for Anaheim SX next year, you will have many years of riding ahead of you.

My little brother is 29 and is planning to enter his first race this year as well.

Ha, i don't think i'll ever make it to Anaheim, it's not my ambition either, i wanna do it pure for fun & maybe do a race once or twice to check out my skill versus others, no ambition to go pro at all.

|

1/21/2020 5:55 AM

Mossy wrote:

Do it!!!

I’m 23 and have just started riding actual motocross tracks like 4 months ago.

I got my first dirtbike when I was 19 which was a 97 yz125. Rode the shit out of it at my friends backyard track and random trails that I knew of.

This sport is all about having fun man. Get out there to the track and have fun. I was intimidated before going to a real track until I got out there and realized everyone there doesn’t give a fuck how good or bad you are (unless you run a single digit number hahaha

But forreal once you just get out there to the track you’ll feel right at home. Take it slow, with each trip to the track I make it a goal to do another jump that once intimidated me.

A lot of guys on here will give you great advice/tips as well. But the truth is you are plenty young to enjoy the sport, and if you were 20 years older you would still be plenty young, it would just take longer to recover if you got hurt

Now is the time to “get into it” though if you don’t have kids/family/etc.

Start with a 125 2 stroke

Many say a 125cc 2 stroke can be pretty edgy, my brother in law tells me that with a 250cc you can "chill" & take it slow, while a 125cc 2 stroke likes to take it all at once & go hard out on the track.

Not sure if this is enterily true ofcourse, since i'm a noob, but he also recommended me a 250cc because it will grow with me. instead of the "glass ceiling" of a 125cc

|

1/21/2020 6:15 AM

My old man started at 50. You'll be fine

|

1/21/2020 6:29 AM

Get some metric tools,a bolt pack ,air pump and an RmZ 250 and go wear it out .Maintain Chain,Airfilter,engine oil ,13 psi air pressure..Don't rip through the pits,Go the right direction on the track and never stop on blind jumps and no one will care if your a beginner. Moto is the greatest sport in the world man..Have Fun.😎🇺🇸

|

Don't be a Pussy...

1/21/2020 6:35 AM

Do it. Hold your line.

|

1/21/2020 6:44 AM

olympiamann wrote:

Get some metric tools,a bolt pack ,air pump and an RmZ 250 and go wear it out .Maintain Chain,Airfilter,engine oil ,13 psi air pressure..Don't rip through the pits,Go the right direction on the track and never stop on blind jumps and no one will care if your a beginner. Moto is the greatest sport in the world man..Have Fun.😎🇺🇸

Your never stop on blind jumps is one of the biggest tips i've gotten in a long time, this will save me from somoene landing on my head, i'm gonna look up the less jumpy tracks in the area first before heading to alot of jumps & such, but please tell me what you mean with a bolt pack?

|

1/21/2020 7:15 AM

Spare bolts and nuts. The fasteners on the bike will loosen up and fall off if ya dont take time to maintain..Ya dont want to be the guy wandering around asking for tools and spare bolts.

|

Don't be a Pussy...

1/21/2020 7:27 AM

olympiamann wrote:

Spare bolts and nuts. The fasteners on the bike will loosen up and fall off if ya dont take time to maintain..Ya dont want to be the guy wandering around asking for tools and spare bolts.

Ahhh ,my brother in law & father in law, both have alot of tools for bikes, i'll ask a shop in the area for the bolts that are needed the most.

|

1/21/2020 8:04 AM

I started at 21 after almost 10 years of racing go karts (I was pretty good at it) then I tasted a lap around a motocross track and got me hooked for life.

I love motocross because it's not easy by any means and every time you get on the bike is different even on the same day, and that makes it so freaking exciting, in go karts the track is the same always unless it rains so that's what made me fell in love with motocross.

Finally it made me realize that if I wanted to at least be decent on the bike I would have to make sacrifices and stuff and also that made me live a healthier life and kept me away of a life that I was living that wasn´t very good in long term.

Anyways! just be aware that you will be hooked forever haha

|

Rather be a racer for a time than a spectator for a lifetime..

1/21/2020 8:15 AM

I didn't get into it until 22 because I could never afford a bike and parents wouldn't foot the bill. Addicted to the sport now. 27 now and I love it.

|

1/21/2020 8:26 AM

Go for it man. I didn’t start until I was 29 although I had been riding motorcycles for years before. My girlfriend got into it as well and we both races MX and hare scrambles.

|

1/21/2020 8:54 AM

A 125 or 250 four stroke will be fine for an adult for a first bike. I wouldn’t get a 250 two stroke or a 450.

|