First 2-stroke. Help me speak with my wallet! (Edit: wallet has spoken)

H4L
3/28/2020 11:02am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/28/414245/s1200_6000000005.jpg[/img]

Tony you’re killing me BRO !!!

The Shop

3/29/2020 3:15am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2020 3:16am
H4L wrote:
02-07 CR2 - I’m in the minority. Best 250 2t chassis ridden to date in 4 decades of riding. The engine comes alive with some mods...
02-07 CR2 - I’m in the minority.
Best 250 2t chassis ridden to date in 4 decades of riding. The engine comes alive with some mods if you’re after more performance.
Yes it's a Great Bike, one of the Best! And used Honda 250's will see an increased buy and Rebuild Cycle! ESR makes a 325cc Kit for Honda as well!

But in the Real World (mine deals with Defense Electronics Equipment going Obsolete) of "Obsolescence", Honda needs to get with the Program. Beta, Sherco, TM, KTM, Husky, GasGas, and Yamaha will see Sales increases beyond Normal.

Unfortunately this Economy will slow new Bike Sales especially 4-Ts, people will Not be able to afford 4-Ts with Expensive Service/Repair cost.

So "Once again 2-Ts will become the Bike to buy".
Yamaha has a currently available Chassis and Engine that can be Setup for almost any type of riding.

In the Real World 2-Ts are the Best Bike Value, period!
kage173
3/29/2020 6:18am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2020 6:18am
KTM is your only option. You'll be happy with either of them. If you race, get the 250. You can detune it easy. Throw a 9oz flywheel on it and work the power valve adjuster to you're happy with it
H4L
3/29/2020 7:57am
Yes it's a Great Bike, one of the Best! And used Honda 250's will see an increased buy and Rebuild Cycle! ESR makes a 325cc Kit...
Yes it's a Great Bike, one of the Best! And used Honda 250's will see an increased buy and Rebuild Cycle! ESR makes a 325cc Kit for Honda as well!

But in the Real World (mine deals with Defense Electronics Equipment going Obsolete) of "Obsolescence", Honda needs to get with the Program. Beta, Sherco, TM, KTM, Husky, GasGas, and Yamaha will see Sales increases beyond Normal.

Unfortunately this Economy will slow new Bike Sales especially 4-Ts, people will Not be able to afford 4-Ts with Expensive Service/Repair cost.

Yamaha has a currently available Chassis and Engine that can be Setup for almost any type of riding.

Agree with some of your comments. Time will tell how the economy will be affected..
Luv me some 2 smokes ! I’m going try & reach out to ESR again about buying a 325 kit for a 3rd gen. CR2.
I would think it would be a good compromise between a standard bore 250 & 500 for obvious reasons.
3/29/2020 9:33am
Yes it's a Great Bike, one of the Best! And used Honda 250's will see an increased buy and Rebuild Cycle! ESR makes a 325cc Kit...

H4L wrote:
Agree with some of your comments. Time will tell how the economy will be affected.. Luv me some 2 smokes ! I’m going try & reach...
Agree with some of your comments. Time will tell how the economy will be affected..
Luv me some 2 smokes ! I’m going try & reach out to ESR again about buying a 325 kit for a 3rd gen. CR2.
I would think it would be a good compromise between a standard bore 250 & 500 for obvious reasons.
Most any Big Bore 300/325 is better than a 250 with a Peaky Torque/HP Power Band. But now most all of the OEM's I named, have a Better 250 with Torque/HP Down in the Low to Mid Range, but based on 250cc may still suffer on Top.

The Basic thing to remember with an ESR 325, is Install it without Air Leaks (around the Gaskets), and Jet it Leaner (Important), because the Weisco Piston is 33% Larger in Diameter, and Sucks More Air through the Carburetor. The Standard Kit can use Lower Grade Fuel, and Higher Grade Fuel for the Combined Efficiency Optomized (CEO) Kit with a Dished Piston.

With a Big Bore Kit (No Air Leaks) and good Jetting they all should " work" pretty well.

3/29/2020 12:50pm
The wallet has spoken! '18 YZ250. Already a blast to take up and down the street, can't wait to hit a track with it. With the state lockdown going into effect tomorrow here in NC, I'll have plenty of time to tinker with it before it hits the dirt. Thanks for all the input, guys.

(Yes, that's a Sport Trac. And yes, I know, it's not a real truck, but it gets me to the track just fine, lol)

3/29/2020 4:50pm
The wallet has spoken! '18 YZ250. Already a blast to take up and down the street, can't wait to hit a track with it. With the...
The wallet has spoken! '18 YZ250. Already a blast to take up and down the street, can't wait to hit a track with it. With the state lockdown going into effect tomorrow here in NC, I'll have plenty of time to tinker with it before it hits the dirt. Thanks for all the input, guys.

(Yes, that's a Sport Trac. And yes, I know, it's not a real truck, but it gets me to the track just fine, lol)

Great decision! First Mod, Fly Wheel Weight, that really helps it to be a more Linear Power Band.

Is this the Bike for roughly $4K? Or another one?
3/29/2020 5:51pm
The wallet has spoken! '18 YZ250. Already a blast to take up and down the street, can't wait to hit a track with it. With the...

Great decision! First Mod, Fly Wheel Weight, that really helps it to be a more Linear Power Band. Is this the Bike for roughly $4K? Or...
Great decision! First Mod, Fly Wheel Weight, that really helps it to be a more Linear Power Band.

Well there was another one I was looking at that was a '17 for $4,200 but the seller flaked on me. Bought this one for $4,300. Didnt come with the blue rims, but I was going to look into black rims for it anyways so this works. Just gonna break the trusty ole sharpie out to take that silver ring out a bit.

And yeah, a flywheel weight is priority number one for me. This thing rips, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to adapt to the more violent hit of a two stroke when it comes to track riding, that'll definitely help.

I want to put a new pipe on it at some point, but I heard the stock pipe does well on the bottom end power, so that may work well for me coming off the four stroke. I'm thinking about taking a wire wheel and sandpaper to the stock one to give it the raw metal look while I'm cooped up inside. Anyone else done that with good results?
DerickYZ
3/29/2020 6:21pm

Great decision! First Mod, Fly Wheel Weight, that really helps it to be a more Linear Power Band. Is this the Bike for roughly $4K? Or...

Well there was another one I was looking at that was a '17 for $4,200 but the seller flaked on me. Bought this one for $4,300...
Well there was another one I was looking at that was a '17 for $4,200 but the seller flaked on me. Bought this one for $4,300. Didnt come with the blue rims, but I was going to look into black rims for it anyways so this works. Just gonna break the trusty ole sharpie out to take that silver ring out a bit.

And yeah, a flywheel weight is priority number one for me. This thing rips, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to adapt to the more violent hit of a two stroke when it comes to track riding, that'll definitely help.

I want to put a new pipe on it at some point, but I heard the stock pipe does well on the bottom end power, so that may work well for me coming off the four stroke. I'm thinking about taking a wire wheel and sandpaper to the stock one to give it the raw metal look while I'm cooped up inside. Anyone else done that with good results?
My '15 I did the GYTR flywheel weight, highly recommend. So easily to ride it and made it more linear. If I got another YZ250, I would go the same route. Put some arc levers, radiator braces and skid plate. Kept it all stock, was plenty good in stock trim!
chump6784
3/30/2020 2:33am
Well there was another one I was looking at that was a '17 for $4,200 but the seller flaked on me. Bought this one for $4,300...

I've done the wire wheel on the stock pipe, works very well. I ended up sanding it down with 1000 grit sand paper to get a better shine and then hitting the welds with a gas torch to blue them and make it look factory.

The stock pipe gives a fairly broad pull and is not a bad pipe. I do prefer the HGS and dep to stock though. Both are similar to stock off the bottom, the HGS is better through the mid range than the dep but the dep pulls longer up top. It's a very smooth pipe. Both out do the stock pipe in mid and top power

Post a reply to: First 2-stroke. Help me speak with my wallet! (Edit: wallet has spoken)

The Latest