Looking for some advice from riders local or close to New Orleans.

chasetwo79
Edited Date/Time 4/18/2020 10:24am
Hey all, I’m going to be spending 6 months based in New Orleans starting this summer. Even though I’m in NorCal now, I grew up in Pensacola, not far from there and raced every track of merit in the area so I know the area well from a public/weekend track perspective. However, I was hoping to get some local insight on riding outside of the normal weekend practices.

Does anyone ride during the week at all? If not at a paid public track, at a club location or even just off road trails or sector spot turn tracks. I’m also talking about a hopefully post lockdown world here so I get these places could be shut down right now or that no one is currently riding. Probably within 2 hours max of New Orleans as it is during the week and I’ll be saving longer drives for all the great options on the weekend all around the south.

I’ll obviously be riding on weekends at regular tracks like Hammond, Kentwood, Golden Pines, etc, but I’m pretty sure those spots are weekend only at best and I’m just someone who loves to get a day or two of seat time during the week in anyway possible over road biking or whatever.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Vital!
|
brocster
4/16/2020 6:36pm
Don’t think you’ll find much weekday riding at a track. Pretty much weekend only in that area. I know a couple that had private tracks but not sure the status as of late. Moved from there 3 yrs ago. Only place to open ride weekly will be the bonnet care spillway but you’ll have to lay out a turn track or something. There is also an area in Belle Chase but I forget the name. Closest trails will be in Mississippi. At least that I know off.

Was born and raised in the town that borders the Bonnet carre spillway about 20 miles west of NO.

Get ready for some culture shock

Good luck and good eatin.....Cher!
Denn700
4/16/2020 7:32pm
I live in North west Louisiana about 5 hours from New Orleans. You can ride at Desotomotorsports on some weekends and it is about 4 and a half hours from you. It is owned by Trampas Parker’s family. There is a track in West Monroe called Wmmx and it is open whenever if you call.
Swan is about 6 hours and 20 minutes from you but I would put that on my bucket list.
LOOnatic
4/16/2020 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2020 7:38pm
Weekdays can be had at Wildwood MX and has now turned into a sprawling facility with multiple tracks. The go to tracks are Wildwood, Arcola , Zmans and the hammond, la track that was called Full Throttle but was taken over by some new guys.
Im mostly a woods enduro guy but i have MX only buddies and thats the short story.
Private tracks do exist but that's on you to make the right friends.
If you want the low down on singletrack trails send me a PM.

Edit: the spillway area that Brocster mentioned is now under water due to the Core of Engineers directing high Mississippi river water levels to "spill way" into lower land so that the river doesnt flood residential areas. When not flooded its a rowdy sand track area play pit that can be fun if you like deep sand.

The Shop

chasetwo79
4/16/2020 7:33pm
brocster wrote:
Don’t think you’ll find much weekday riding at a track. Pretty much weekend only in that area. I know a couple that had private tracks but...
Don’t think you’ll find much weekday riding at a track. Pretty much weekend only in that area. I know a couple that had private tracks but not sure the status as of late. Moved from there 3 yrs ago. Only place to open ride weekly will be the bonnet care spillway but you’ll have to lay out a turn track or something. There is also an area in Belle Chase but I forget the name. Closest trails will be in Mississippi. At least that I know off.

Was born and raised in the town that borders the Bonnet carre spillway about 20 miles west of NO.

Get ready for some culture shock

Good luck and good eatin.....Cher!
Thanks! I didn’t expect any of the tracks to be open during the week. I heard about the area in Plaquimines. It still looks there on Google earth so I figure I’ll drive out and check it out as an option once I get there.

I love the culture there. I grew up three hours from the cityIn the Florida Panhandle and I actually got married there last year, so I’m pretty familiar and the culture and food is part of why I’m excited!

Thanks again!
4/17/2020 10:50am
Loonatic is correct with wildwood open during the week, it is a training facility now, look it up on Facebook and call rob.

Former mid 80s pro rider jim anderson and his wife now own golden pines. Bring lots of cash because they have a fully stocked gear store onsite with everything you can imagine

The original guy that built full throttle has gotten it back from the new guys that didn't know anything about running a track, thank God! That was a complete disaster.
Coco is fixing the problems and will open it when he feels it's safe and they won't be air lifting people out.
If you see this cat out there, and he doesn't piss you off, come tell his dad hello
Going to golden pines tomorrow

mister2dt
4/17/2020 11:10am
Michael Ashe has Atmore MX on the other side of Mobile. Rock Hill is open again one weekend a month just north of Wildwood. Find Walter Bartran on Fbook or Insta and connect with him, he has a track at his house they ride almost daily
chasetwo79
4/17/2020 11:31am
Loonatic is correct with wildwood open during the week, it is a training facility now, look it up on Facebook and call rob. Former mid 80s...
Loonatic is correct with wildwood open during the week, it is a training facility now, look it up on Facebook and call rob.

Former mid 80s pro rider jim anderson and his wife now own golden pines. Bring lots of cash because they have a fully stocked gear store onsite with everything you can imagine

The original guy that built full throttle has gotten it back from the new guys that didn't know anything about running a track, thank God! That was a complete disaster.
Coco is fixing the problems and will open it when he feels it's safe and they won't be air lifting people out.
If you see this cat out there, and he doesn't piss you off, come tell his dad hello
Going to golden pines tomorrow

Thanks for sharing! I’ll DM you when I get there. Not sure how old you are but my family owned the track in Milton, Fl for 25 years. I grew up racing Rock Hill, all the Bama tracks, and Louisiana/MS ones as well. I’m pumped to get back to some familiar terrain, if only for a bit. Have fun at Golden Pines!
chasetwo79
4/17/2020 12:02pm
mister2dt wrote:
Michael Ashe has Atmore MX on the other side of Mobile. Rock Hill is open again one weekend a month just north of Wildwood. Find Walter...
Michael Ashe has Atmore MX on the other side of Mobile. Rock Hill is open again one weekend a month just north of Wildwood. Find Walter Bartran on Fbook or Insta and connect with him, he has a track at his house they ride almost daily
Is that Tony’s kid running Atmore now? I haven’t ridden there since 2009. Good on him if so!
mister2dt
4/17/2020 12:57pm
mister2dt wrote:
Michael Ashe has Atmore MX on the other side of Mobile. Rock Hill is open again one weekend a month just north of Wildwood. Find Walter...
chasetwo79 wrote:
Is that Tony’s kid running Atmore now? I haven’t ridden there since 2009. Good on him if so!
It is. Tony runs the new Milton track in town. Your dad ran Emerald? I raced there in the 90's. Tony used to maintain it
chasetwo79
4/17/2020 1:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2020 10:24am
mister2dt wrote:
chasetwo79 wrote:
mister2dt wrote:
It is. Tony runs the new Milton track in town. Your dad ran Emerald? I raced there in the 90's. Tony used to maintain it
I knew Tony well as did my parents. We owed West Florida MX for over two decades. My dad moved down to south Florida and I moved out here.
brocster
4/18/2020 9:23am
chasetwo79 wrote:
mister2dt wrote:
chasetwo79 wrote:
I knew Tony well as did my parents. We owed West Florida MX for over two decades. My dad moved down to south Florida and I...
I knew Tony well as did my parents. We owed West Florida MX for over two decades. My dad moved down to south Florida and I moved out here.
Your dad Craig Woolard? I raced there heavily through the 90’s as well. Many of good times were had there. Dirt stained the shit out of everything you owned though.
chasetwo79
4/18/2020 10:23am
brocster wrote:
93/94 ish I think. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/18/421130/s1200_E0E3A8EE_AFC5_4B34_9E85_82BB5CD4C670.jpg[/img]
93/94 ish I think.

Rad photo. And yes, Craig is my dad. Here’s somewhere around 2004 or so. Also someone recently mailed my dad this old sign they had taken when we closed way back!

Post a reply to: Looking for some advice from riders local or close to New Orleans.

The Latest