Looking for mmi intern

rrdecals
Edited Date/Time 6/21/2013 9:15am
MMI Kids, do you want the glory of being a supercross mechanic? Here's your chance.

Internship: long hours no pay but all the glory. Contact me if interested and you are in the Socal area.
|
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
12/7/2012 12:25pm
you should charge them to work for you
moto314
12/7/2012 12:36pm
I'd do it if I was 20 years younger, Killy would be a good rider to work with. Let me know if you need a man-friend Smile
mtl
12/7/2012 1:08pm
A guy just got into debt (or spent $20k) to get a certification from MMI and now he is expected to work for free?

Am I the only one that sees this as a problem?
rrdecals
12/7/2012 1:14pm
It's motocross. The riders ride for free.

The Shop

CrashMaster
12/7/2012 1:18pm
mtl wrote:
A guy just got into debt (or spent $20k) to get a certification from MMI and now he is expected to work for free? Am I...
A guy just got into debt (or spent $20k) to get a certification from MMI and now he is expected to work for free?

Seriously what the F#CK! But you will meet great people....Woohoo
newmann
12/7/2012 1:47pm
mtl wrote:
A guy just got into debt (or spent $20k) to get a certification from MMI and now he is expected to work for free? Am I...

If you have ever dealt with kids out of trades schools such as that and the autobody courses, you would understand. He should make them put up a $10,000.00 retainer for the damage they are about to do. Some of these kids have no business whatsoever having a wrench in their hand, let along getting near a vehicle with that wrench. Two year course and 24 grand of mom's money (or in the case of UTI Houston, student loans) and these idiots don't know the difference between 80 grit and 180 grit. They don't pass a phase of the course, they just advance them to the next 6 week segment and take the money. Make them retake a session and the money stops flowing. It is mind boggling the level of stupidity that UTI puts their stamp of approval on. They have certification for advanced suspension and steering yet they lay a loaded strut on the ground and zap the nut off the top without putting it in the spring compressor mounted on the wall directly behind them.

No way in hell I'd ride or let my hired gun ride a bike around on a SX track that had been touched on by an MMI intern without him putting some serious effort in proving himself. Scary situation.
4stroke4DWIN
12/7/2012 1:52pm
mtl wrote:

Seriously what the F#CK! But you will meet great people....Woohoo
Have you ever worked with them? I worked at a shop before I opened my own and those kids lasted about a week. If they don't have a book to refer to they are lost. My buddy finally added in the help needed add "MMI need not apply"
MT MX
12/7/2012 2:08pm
mtl wrote:

It costs 20 Grand to go to MMI?! Holy Shit!
12/7/2012 3:06pm
One time I tried to be nice and let an MMI student fix my leaking fork seal on my street bike. By the time he was done I had two leaking fork seals...All those trade schools are a joke. I took a tour of one when I was looking at nursing schools and I could smell the BS as I walked in the door. They take your money and give you a piece of paper that's worth nothing.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
12/7/2012 3:24pm
So what you are all saying is, an MMI graduate could really benefit from some on the job training and a recommendation from a known racer/team?

I'm not sure all MMI students suck either.

Rob, you may be able to get support straight from MMI on this, I am sure they are always looking for programs to get their students hands on experience in a real world environment, especially with a racer/team.
moto314
12/7/2012 3:37pm
I don't think he's going to be rebuilding the motor or suspension. I would guess washing the bike, changing oil, cleaning air filter, grips, levers, pit board, lap times... maybe a clutch or tires might be the most. You gotta get your foot in the door somewhere.
newmann
12/7/2012 3:41pm
So what you are all saying is, an MMI graduate could really benefit from some on the job training and a recommendation from a known racer/team...
So what you are all saying is, an MMI graduate could really benefit from some on the job training and a recommendation from a known racer/team?

I'm not sure all MMI students suck either.

Rob, you may be able to get support straight from MMI on this, I am sure they are always looking for programs to get their students hands on experience in a real world environment, especially with a racer/team.
What would actually benefit an MMI student (or other trade school) best would be to get a feel for that type of work before going to MMI. Start out sweeping floors or washing bikes just to get in the door and see if it is even something that remotely interests them. If they have an inkling of how things in school will relate to what goes on in the shop they will be miles ahead.

The one local MMI guy who I consider to have been a standout is now (and has been for a good while)an insurance adjuster! Works on bikes an a hobby now since he found out there isn't much to be made at the local dealerships. He was an extremely sharp guy before he went and had worked in motorcycling several years as well. He learned a lot and took shit tons of notes.
DA498
12/7/2012 3:42pm
I went to MMI back in 81 or so. At the time I felt it was a good base to get your foot in the door. Worked at a franchise dealer as an entry level tech and then for White Brothers as a suspension tech for a couple years. My buddy Willy Musgrave attended at the same time and worked together at the franchise and he later got on at the Bros. Ive been a suspension tech for a Pro Action franchise, and have worked for a professional snowcross team. (Judnick Motorsports) Willys accomplishments speak for themselves.
Just saying, you get what you put in, and that you cant put a blanket statement out there dissing MMI
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
12/7/2012 4:04pm
DA498 wrote:
I went to MMI back in 81 or so. At the time I felt it was a good base to get your foot in the door...
I went to MMI back in 81 or so. At the time I felt it was a good base to get your foot in the door. Worked at a franchise dealer as an entry level tech and then for White Brothers as a suspension tech for a couple years. My buddy Willy Musgrave attended at the same time and worked together at the franchise and he later got on at the Bros. Ive been a suspension tech for a Pro Action franchise, and have worked for a professional snowcross team. (Judnick Motorsports) Willys accomplishments speak for themselves.
Just saying, you get what you put in, and that you cant put a blanket statement out there dissing MMI
How did you like working for the Judnick family? Used to see them at the motos up here all the time before they got big in Snocross. Used to love watching that rig pull into Millville on a D23 weekend. Do you keep in touch with them at all?

And I have a buddy that went to MMI. He was a really good auto mechanic before he went on. He was always really mechanically inclined. Unfortunately he was pretty turned off by MMI, but did end up finishing. He realized soon after that there was no money/future as a pro mechanic and went and got a full time job. The plus is I can usually talk him into fixing my shit, and he keeps his snap on tools in my shop! He built me a badass CRF 250 this past winter. So I agree a blanket statement doesnt work. As with anything you get out of it what you put into it...
DA498
12/7/2012 4:14pm
Scott and Colleen are great people and loved every minute working with them. Haven't talked in awhile, but my son is good friends with their boys and I get my updates from him. I miss those Millville weekends too.
Husqerdo
12/7/2012 4:47pm
newmann wrote:
If you have ever dealt with kids out of trades schools such as that and the autobody courses, you would understand. He should make them put...
If you have ever dealt with kids out of trades schools such as that and the autobody courses, you would understand. He should make them put up a $10,000.00 retainer for the damage they are about to do. Some of these kids have no business whatsoever having a wrench in their hand, let along getting near a vehicle with that wrench. Two year course and 24 grand of mom's money (or in the case of UTI Houston, student loans) and these idiots don't know the difference between 80 grit and 180 grit. They don't pass a phase of the course, they just advance them to the next 6 week segment and take the money. Make them retake a session and the money stops flowing. It is mind boggling the level of stupidity that UTI puts their stamp of approval on. They have certification for advanced suspension and steering yet they lay a loaded strut on the ground and zap the nut off the top without putting it in the spring compressor mounted on the wall directly behind them.

No way in hell I'd ride or let my hired gun ride a bike around on a SX track that had been touched on by an MMI intern without him putting some serious effort in proving himself. Scary situation.
Not sure what your gig is and I really couldn't care less, but to trash ALL trade school grads just shows how fricken ignorant you are. In this day and age it is more difficult for young people to get a start then when you were 16. Going to a trade school is one avenue that a dedicated young person can most likely succeed and build a future but yes it is up to them. For a guy who can't figure out what parts washer to buy, I think you should just STFU.
MR. X
12/7/2012 4:52pm
I took machine tool 1 and 2 in high school and was very thankful that there was shops willing to work with someone new to a trade, we were paid minimum wageso it was like getting paid to got to class .
newmann
12/7/2012 5:58pm
newmann wrote:
If you have ever dealt with kids out of trades schools such as that and the autobody courses, you would understand. He should make them put...

Husqerdo wrote:
Not sure what your gig is and I really couldn't care less, but to trash ALL trade school grads just shows how fricken ignorant you are...
Not sure what your gig is and I really couldn't care less, but to trash ALL trade school grads just shows how fricken ignorant you are. In this day and age it is more difficult for young people to get a start then when you were 16. Going to a trade school is one avenue that a dedicated young person can most likely succeed and build a future but yes it is up to them. For a guy who can't figure out what parts washer to buy, I think you should just STFU.
Where did I say "all"?
SunComfort
12/7/2012 8:07pm
You mad bro?Wink
newmann wrote:
MMI took his money?
Husqerdo wrote:
Electrical Engineer my friend
with a huge chip!! Seriuously wtf did newman say that was that bad?
its full of truth.. Most of the MMI, ITT, bullshit placs along with a shitload of college's are building false hope and empty dreams
to alot of people, just to heavily line their already huge pockets. Are you an investor in one of these scams?!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/7/2012 8:14pm
I had two good techs who went through MMI and both said it was a waste of time and money and they knew more than the instructors and both of them had shop experience before they went, all the others we hired wasted their money and were not even qualified to do bike set ups and made minimum wage until I fired them for screwing things up. I had one MMI grad who complained we were wasting his education and his answer to every bike problem was checking spark plug gap. We tried to teach him the big three, Fuel , Air , Spark and all he could come up with is spark plug gap must be wrong. Pinch
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/7/2012 8:16pm
Husqerdo wrote:
Not sure what your gig is and I really couldn't care less, but to trash ALL trade school grads just shows how fricken ignorant you are...
You must have wasted 20k at MMI
Husqerdo
12/7/2012 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2012 8:23pm
Husqerdo wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Learn to read, look above
The school and instruction may not be the greatest but that doesn't mean you should write off every kid that goes there, It's up to them to to learn the skills they will utilize while on the job.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/7/2012 8:26pm
Newmann is correct , the Autobody trade school grads and just as stupid as the MMI grads. A few might get something out of it but more than likley they had some experience before they wasted their money at the "school" and would have been better off spending the money on tools and not the over priced tool kit you get from the school.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
12/7/2012 8:50pm
you can't put a price on "all the glory"
SunComfort
12/7/2012 8:52pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
you can't put a price on "all the glory"
some of these deals are more like the gloryhole!!
newmann
12/7/2012 9:00pm
Husqerdo wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Husqerdo wrote:
Learn to read, look above The school and instruction may not be the greatest but that doesn't mean you should write off every kid that goes...
Learn to read, look above
The school and instruction may not be the greatest but that doesn't mean you should write off every kid that goes there, It's up to them to to learn the skills they will utilize while on the job.
Oh the irony....learn to read. Again, where did I say "all"? I clearly said "some".

I had one autobody tech from TSTC who was quite good. Went on to open his own shop and is doing quite well.. Had another who was a total flop. Cost me thousands of dollars but I was convinced I could teach him what they could not. I was wrong. Had one from Wyo Tech that was completely clueless of the basics of prepping a panel for priming, refinishing or blending. Couldn't use masking tape properly. And the one from UTI literally could not find his way to work. 22 years old and his mother was bringing him to work and picking him up. Zero basic skills and was oblivious to the two years of training he had recieved. But they got him through on a grant or loan. They stole that money and taught him absolutely nothing. Just funneled him through and took advantage of him. Was quite disgusting and everyone associated with that school should be ashamed of themselves.

So, one good and three clueless. My experience.

Post a reply to: Looking for mmi intern

The Latest