Looking for info about GLAMIS

Sixeightone
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2018 2:45pm
I'm from the east coast trying to plan out a trip to GLAMIS. I know there are certain times of the year to head there that are better than others. So if anyone out west can give me some advice it would be much appreciated!!

-Time of year?
-Where to stay?
-Do I need a flag?
-Where are the big booters
-Anywhere else close worth riding?

Thanks in advance!

|
8/9/2018 8:08am
Stay on gecko road not the washes.

Don’t go on holiday weekends way too many people.

Flags are required but I just break a flag off in my axel nut flag holder Incase the cops get at you. ran flags before but they constantly break.

Find jumps all day everywhere especially by comp hill area.

Super bowl weekend is the best time to go because it’s dead out there.

Ocotillo is close to glamis lots of good trail riding and jumps everyone around pole line road.

Glamis to me way more fun though hope this helps
TSCHAM101
8/9/2018 8:32am
Glamis is awesome.

Depends on your agenda, if you want to have the best riding go on off weekends, and stay away from holiday weekends. You can find massive hits pretty much everywhere if you are creative enough.

run a flag, and drill out a small hole on your rear fender to put flag through and use a flag holder that can bolt to axle, will save you from breaking flags every 10 minutes.

If you are looking for the Glamis party experience, get a side by side to bring with you for the night parties at Olds or Comp Hill, and go on a major weekend if you can.. You will see some wild stuff happening, and be safe.
whyZ
8/9/2018 10:18am
There's forum called glamisdunes.com If you haven't already, check it out. Everything you need to know.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/9/2018 10:25am
You should run a paddle tire if you go to Glamis. Even on a 450, the sand sucks so much power that the paddle is a necessity.

X2 on going to Ocotillo Wells. You should try them both as long as you're here. (Knobby tire for Ocotillo Wells.)
SBD
8/9/2018 12:31pm
how many lugs do I want on this paddle tire?
8-10 scoops, 8 will turn and slide better, 10 scoop wants to go in a straight line a little more.
Either will work fine.
Porch32
8/9/2018 1:22pm
1) Definitely go on an off weekend. Glamis gets so busy on holiday weekends, I personally think it is way too dangerous.
2) Stay on gecko road, way cleaner than the washes. Staying on gecko will put you closer to the larger dunes, where as staying on the washes, youre closer to the small dunes.
3) Run a flag. You can buy them right at the entrance to gecko road if you forget before you get there. I ran my flag off my axle one time, and it broke instantly. Ran one off a mount that attached at my side panel, and it constantly slid backwards so the flag was just horizontal. What I started doing that is easiest and causes the least damage, is I cut the flag down and stick it in my camelbak. Have yet to break one since doing that.
4) 8-paddle tire if youre on a 450.
5) ALWAYS be aware of what is going on around you. There will always be some jackass in a sand rail that has no idea what hes doing. I remember going down sand highway on my 450 one time, came over a crest on the far right side of the road, and almost got hit by a dually truck coming up the other side.

Oh, and be prepared to fall. A lot. Haha
bvm111
8/9/2018 10:21pm
Glamis all about the party, not the riding... it's lame and you are surrounded with idiots slamming beers, smoking weed, and taking who knows what and then go out and rip it up. Last time I was there was over twenty years ago I watched 3 life flights go out and watched two other people get paralyzed... yeah man it's real cool!

If you want to ride dunes and a more relaxed atmosphere go to butter cup off of I8... way cool experience!
SPODEBOY
8/10/2018 8:10am

For a first timer know that no matter how good you are you need to approach Glamis with caution and if possible ride with someone who has experience there. It is very easy to misread something for a split second (specially at high noon) and then find yourself falling head first 40 feet to flat. Happens way too often.

Although Gecko is cleaner & easier to get to you are riding in the bigger dunes right off the bat. When I take first timers I take them to Wash 9 or so and get them riding in the smaller stuff and work our way up into the bigger stuff.

When you are riding through flat ALWAYS keep your eyes up for kiddy ATV tracks worn into the dirt. I have seen so many dudes WFO across the flat trying to impress their buddies only to hit one of these and crash bad.

I ride both Ocotillo and Glamis. If you have never been to the dunes you will love it. it is like Disneyland for dirt bikes.

Have fun and be safe bro. Get some video and share with us.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/10/2018 4:53pm
Keep in mind that sand was BLOWN into the shapes it is in now... not pulled by gravity. Something can have a nice, even slope upward on one side and be a sheer cliff on the other. Ask me, or any other Glamis-goer, how we know. Grinning
SteezGeez
Fantasy
553rd
8/10/2018 4:56pm
I'm from the east coast trying to plan out a trip to GLAMIS. I know there are certain times of the year to head there that...
I'm from the east coast trying to plan out a trip to GLAMIS. I know there are certain times of the year to head there that are better than others. So if anyone out west can give me some advice it would be much appreciated!!

-Time of year?
-Where to stay?
-Do I need a flag?
-Where are the big booters
-Anywhere else close worth riding?

Thanks in advance!

Hit me up when you wanna go. I sadly don't have a bike anymore but I do have a UTV and there are a few guy in my group that still have bikes. They love to haul ass and hit big booters though.
wacker
8/10/2018 8:56pm
Falcon wrote:
You should run a paddle tire if you go to Glamis. Even on a 450, the sand sucks so much power that the paddle is a...
You should run a paddle tire if you go to Glamis. Even on a 450, the sand sucks so much power that the paddle is a necessity.

X2 on going to Ocotillo Wells. You should try them both as long as you're here. (Knobby tire for Ocotillo Wells.)
Ironically, I prefer a regular sand tire over the paddle on a 450. Only noticeable difference was off a dead start and the handling once you get going and are on top doesn't even compare.
KMC440
8/11/2018 5:42am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2018 5:45am
Prep your air filter with a pre-filter. Don't have one ... use a dry womens leg from a set of nylons. Yes you'll look like a creep buying it but it's better than a smoked motor.
mxnick
8/11/2018 6:52am
Glamis is cool, but Dumont is more spectacular. It is out in Death Valley and closer to Vegas. Much more remote and much much steeper dunes.
cwtoyota
8/11/2018 7:54am
If you've never been in big dunes, watch out for the drops. The big razorbacks drop off super steep on the back. Sometimes you're cruising along and everything looks relatively flat, but there's a 50 foot drop right in front of you. The sand kinda blends together visually, after a while you get used to that and learn to spot these hazards.

It's a shitload of fun, you'll have a blast.

Someone said pre-filters above, that's a good suggestion. Bring a couple of those throw away pre-oiled filters too, or pre-oil a handful of your filters and stick them in freezer bags.

Number of paddles depends on bike size.
125 (don't waste your time on a 125 in the dunes).
250F 6 paddles
250 Smoker (6 or 8 scoop)
450F (8 scoop handles better than 10)
Quad (you probably already own a leather suit, chains, whips and a ball gag, so just do what you bros do).

firemedic301
8/11/2018 2:09pm
Have ridden Glamis for 40 years it is awesome. Winter and mid-week days are phenomenal.

blusmbl
8/11/2018 2:45pm
Porch32 wrote:
1) Definitely go on an off weekend. Glamis gets so busy on holiday weekends, I personally think it is way too dangerous. 2) Stay on gecko...
1) Definitely go on an off weekend. Glamis gets so busy on holiday weekends, I personally think it is way too dangerous.
2) Stay on gecko road, way cleaner than the washes. Staying on gecko will put you closer to the larger dunes, where as staying on the washes, youre closer to the small dunes.
3) Run a flag. You can buy them right at the entrance to gecko road if you forget before you get there. I ran my flag off my axle one time, and it broke instantly. Ran one off a mount that attached at my side panel, and it constantly slid backwards so the flag was just horizontal. What I started doing that is easiest and causes the least damage, is I cut the flag down and stick it in my camelbak. Have yet to break one since doing that.
4) 8-paddle tire if youre on a 450.
5) ALWAYS be aware of what is going on around you. There will always be some jackass in a sand rail that has no idea what hes doing. I remember going down sand highway on my 450 one time, came over a crest on the far right side of the road, and almost got hit by a dually truck coming up the other side.

Oh, and be prepared to fall. A lot. Haha
I haven't been to Glamis but go to Silver Lake in Michigan several times a year, both in trucks and on dirtbikes. Silver Lake requires a flag on everything and it has to be 10' off the ground.

I've never broken a flag mounted to the axle, but maybe the flags here are heavier duty? The shops near the entrance sold 2 L shaped pieces that bolted together, one attaching underneath the axle nut. It seemed to space the flag away from the bike enough that it wasn't an issue. Would also attach the bracket so the flag was on the left side of the bike, opposite of the silencer. Most of my friends that broke them would not bother to flip the axle, leave the nut and the bracket on the silencer side, and then the flag would break from hitting the silencer repeatedly.

Post a reply to: Looking for info about GLAMIS

The Latest