Looking for advice - just had C5-C6-C7 vertebrae fusion should I ride anymore?

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 12:14am
The day before Thanksgiving last year I crashed on my mountain bike and ended up having to get my C5-C6-C7 vertebrae fused. At the moment after the crash I was paralyzed from my neck down and after about ten minutes I was able to start moving everything except I had massive tingling in my forearm and hands.

I am now 3 months post OP and I have most of my strength back in my hands (everything else is fine) but I still have tingling in my hands which I was told may or may not ever go away. But the fusion is healing like it should,

All I can think about is getting back on my dirt bike and going for a ride. My surgeon told me that I fall and hit my head a certain way it could be bad because with the fusion the other vertebrae in that area will have to soak up more of the shock.

As with many people here riding my bike is the thing I enjoy most in my life and now I am not sure if I should give it up?

Has anyone here had the same surgery and still ride?
|
TDeath21
3/6/2016 7:16pm
I am no doctor, so I will just leave it with one sentence. What kind of life are you living if you aren't doing what you love?
mxb2
3/6/2016 7:19pm
Medical advice on vital is a bad idea.
gharmon
3/6/2016 7:23pm
I had my C3-4-5 fused in april 2004 and it's been the best thing I ever done. Mine was from wear and tear though, not a wreck. I've been riding since.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/6/2016 7:41pm
mxb2 wrote:
Ha I hear ya but not always, I figured here I could find some people that have had the same operation and still ride.

The Shop

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/6/2016 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2016 7:42pm
gharmon wrote:
I had my C3-4-5 fused in april 2004 and it's been the best thing I ever done. Mine was from wear and tear though, not a...
I had my C3-4-5 fused in april 2004 and it's been the best thing I ever done. Mine was from wear and tear though, not a wreck. I've been riding since.
Thanks for the reply! Do you wear a Leatt brace now?
3/6/2016 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2016 7:44pm
I'd wait. I was uneasy about riding today over just a plated collarbone that sidelined me for 5 months. But it's a free life. You do whatever you want. But my surgeon did give me the ok to ride as well without restriction.....
knobby101
3/6/2016 7:46pm
I had c5 and 6 fused... I'm still eating pain killers an have my arms go numb to often... they want to do 6 and 7 but, I'm balking.. I was told I could have serious problems if I went with it.. But reality is I don't notice it other then a can't turn my head to look around like I did before... I still ride, But suck up a bunch of pain killers and ibuprofen every time I do.. it sucks horribly!
mxb2
3/6/2016 7:46pm
mxb2 wrote:
Myke wrote:
Ha I hear ya but not always, I figured here I could find some people that have had the same operation and still ride.
True, but at the end of the day, its your life.dont let strangers talk you in or out of anything. Because if something happens , they wont be around. If that makes sense. Get well .
RACERX69
3/6/2016 8:20pm
Myke,

Just out of curiosity, what are the details on your crash?

W2E5
3/6/2016 9:03pm
Here is my neck...

The injury was from a motocross accident.

Yes, I still ride. Took 3 years off during college and eased back in with off-road riding, however that turned into hare scramble racing within a year of being back on a bike. Now I ride MX tracks and dual sport as well.

Doctor told me to take up sailing after my injury.

Canerat
3/6/2016 9:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2016 9:40pm
gharmon wrote:
I had my C3-4-5 fused in april 2004 and it's been the best thing I ever done. Mine was from wear and tear though, not a...
I have chronic pain in exactly that area. Been suffering for about 4 years now and its getting progressively worse.

My neck/right shoulder are pretty much locked up this morning and I cant move my head without serious pain. In an hour or so I will be seeing my local GP who (hopefully) will steer me in the right direction. I'm 45yrs old and have had roughly 25 years riding/ racing behind me. I have a gut feeling something is really screwed up in my upper back / neck area. I can feel / hear grinding when I move my head.

How did you initially find out about your condition?

PS. I have had three serious dislocations of the right shoulder and on two occasions went in head and shoulder first.
race
3/6/2016 10:03pm
Canerat wrote:
I have chronic pain in exactly that area. Been suffering for about 4 years now and its getting progressively worse. My neck/right shoulder are pretty much...
I have chronic pain in exactly that area. Been suffering for about 4 years now and its getting progressively worse.

My neck/right shoulder are pretty much locked up this morning and I cant move my head without serious pain. In an hour or so I will be seeing my local GP who (hopefully) will steer me in the right direction. I'm 45yrs old and have had roughly 25 years riding/ racing behind me. I have a gut feeling something is really screwed up in my upper back / neck area. I can feel / hear grinding when I move my head.

PS. I have had three serious dislocations of the right shoulder and on two occasions went in head and shoulder first.
If you haven't had one recently, you need an MRI so that you don't have to guess at what is going on. Then I would review it with both an orthopedic surgeon and a chiropractor you trust.

Yes, like anything else, there are good, average and bad chiros. If you don't know of one you will need to put in the work to find a good one. (Trust me, a good one is worth their weight in gold.) They are basically your only alternative to an orthopedic surgeon ... who can only offer drugs and surgery. Save that as a last option as you can't go back.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/6/2016 10:19pm
mxb2 wrote:
So is life advice.
Canerat
3/6/2016 10:26pm
Canerat wrote:
I have chronic pain in exactly that area. Been suffering for about 4 years now and its getting progressively worse. My neck/right shoulder are pretty much...

race wrote:
If you haven't had one recently, you need an MRI so that you don't have to guess at what is going on. Then I would review...
If you haven't had one recently, you need an MRI so that you don't have to guess at what is going on. Then I would review it with both an orthopedic surgeon and a chiropractor you trust.

Yes, like anything else, there are good, average and bad chiros. If you don't know of one you will need to put in the work to find a good one. (Trust me, a good one is worth their weight in gold.) They are basically your only alternative to an orthopedic surgeon ... who can only offer drugs and surgery. Save that as a last option as you can't go back.

I'm sitting at the Doc now...they sending me to a Orthopaedic Surgeon who will in turn send me for a MRI...but your advice well noted..no one going going to take a knife to me until I've exhausted every other option
MotoX85
3/7/2016 12:36am
I had C5,6,7 disc replacement, not fusion. The only thing I did was go buy the lightest carbon fiber helmet I could afford.

The philosophy mentioned above. A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

I did stop racing but I have been riding like this since 2011 with no "major" problems yet. But you are going to be sore a lot more.
hillbilly
3/7/2016 5:29am
I broke c3 c4 and was neck down a little more than a day almost 2.

No operation but the tingling was bad. When I looked down it was like a cattle prod was stuck in my back,made my hands open and I would jerk just like you would when shocked.

Was working in my barn loft and stood ramming my head straight into a joist. Noticed a few days later the shock and tingling were gone,guess I lined myself back up.

Started racing again 3 yrs later I think,maybe 2,can't remember dates well.

Had a massive crash,just like the one that broke me neck but got up just like the dozens of others.

I know I'd race again if i was you,but that is me.
joe stanley
3/7/2016 5:34am
I have C4-5 fused due to a non-moto accident 4years ago. My surgeon recommended no moto, skiing etc. I elected to continue all activities I did pre accident (moto, snow skiing, water skiing, mountain bike etc). So far no issues although the first time I landed on my head with a moto crash and ski crash was a bit scary. I discountinued wearing a neck brace due to concerns of a fulcrum effect in a crash. I would also recommend the lightest helmet you can buy. You will do fine.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/7/2016 5:45am
RACERX69 wrote:
Myke,

Just out of curiosity, what are the details on your crash?

I was mountain biking at night and was just going down a small decent and the next thing i know I was laying on the ground all twisted up. I am not sure what exactly happened but I think I hit a hole and my front wheel tucked under. I landed face first and I was wearing a MTB helmet. The person I was with layed me flat and called 911, luckily the ambulance could drive right to my location.

I do know I will never MTB at night again, especially on trails I don't know.

Thanks for all the replies.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/7/2016 5:47am
W2E5 wrote:
Here is my neck... [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MotoX178/media/neck1_zpsjvxqbsst.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/MotoX178/neck1_zpsjvxqbsst.jpg[/IMG][/URL] The injury was from a motocross accident. Yes, I still ride. Took 3 years off during college and eased back in...
Here is my neck...

The injury was from a motocross accident.

Yes, I still ride. Took 3 years off during college and eased back in with off-road riding, however that turned into hare scramble racing within a year of being back on a bike. Now I ride MX tracks and dual sport as well.

Doctor told me to take up sailing after my injury.

Wow that is a lot of extra hardware.
pete24
3/7/2016 6:33am
you know i would ride again without even thinking of it, you can go ahead and be as careful as you can and still get killed by a drunk driver , mite as well do what ever makes you happy while your here
Sandberm
3/7/2016 7:12am
How old are you?

If riding your mx bike makes your spine deteriorate(deterate) faster then I would consider that. You'll end up spending years 50-80 in chronic pain...maybe...maybe not?

disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
3/7/2016 7:16am
Sounds like you need to bang your head into a joist...
smezmx
3/7/2016 7:19am
I've had c5-c6,c6-c-7 anterior cervical decompression with fusion.could'nt function properly or take the pain any longer so had to have the op.just curious as to how this one turns out.good luck either way.
DannoJ919
3/7/2016 7:33am
I had a c6 disc replacement a couple years ago and continue to ride. No issues with that at all. I would guess with the hardware in there you will transfer the load above or below it in the right crash. I would guess most of us have had a million crashes where you stood right back up and if it was an inch or two different we wouldn't have. I know I use docs that specialize in sports medicine, and they seem more willing to help you figure out the best way to keep doing what you want to and not just saying "No, never do that again"
Walter
3/7/2016 9:17am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 4:59am
I had L4, L5 and S1 fused about 4 years ago. I have had a great recovery. The problem is that you and I now have fewer vertebral spaces and discs to absorb shock. Any given shock will now be borne by few spaces that it turn will make them wear out much faster, triggering future issues.

I have no issues other than a little periodic numbness in my left leg that is probably due to some permanent nerve damage.

For me, the answer was easy: Avoid things that will lay me up sooner than if I did not do those things. I now ride road bicycles a lot.

As my doc told me..."Pick the hill you want to die on."

Underdog999
3/7/2016 9:50am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2016 9:52am
I have the exact fusion in my neck, but also had to have it through the back of the neck because the first time one of the bones didn't fuse properly. Having it done through the back of the neck was a zillion times worse! bleh!

Anyway, I ride all the time. I do have weakness in my right arm that was due to my car crash, so my grip strength isn't all there. I wear a Leatt. My fusion was done in '07. I have another friend who rides with a neck fusion also. Don't give up riding.
machine
3/7/2016 7:14pm
Theres life beyond mx...trust me. Its about the worst thing you can do if you want to enjoy life later on. I dont reget all my injuries, but if i had what you have, i would have quit long before i did. Im turning 50 this year and quit a year ago. Ive found other things to keep me busy and look forward to a quality life in retirement. Good luck with your decision.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/7/2016 8:03pm
Thanks for the replies. It's interesting to hear all of the views and stories.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/7/2016 8:04pm
pete24 wrote:
you know i would ride again without even thinking of it, you can go ahead and be as careful as you can and still get killed...
you know i would ride again without even thinking of it, you can go ahead and be as careful as you can and still get killed by a drunk driver , mite as well do what ever makes you happy while your here
I know you would ride again you have been through a lot.

Post a reply to: Looking for advice - just had C5-C6-C7 vertebrae fusion should I ride anymore?

The Latest