Looked like it hung wide open

Related:
Create New Tag

8/15/2021 6:09 AM

Looked to me like Plessinger’s throttle got stuck wide open. Has anyone heard an explanation as to what happened?
I hope he is ok!

|

8/15/2021 6:29 AM

My wacky conspiracy theory, is that when he landed hard something broke -like the shock or subframe, which sent him into whiskey throttle. But it’s a pretty wild presumption…just glad he’s ok ! Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/15/2021 6:31 AM

At first, it looked like he couldn't get his left hand back on the bar after pulling that tear-off, kinda like the hand guard got in the way. Then after re-examining, I'm not sure if that was the case. May be a simple case getting off-balance leading to a whiskey throttle.

|

8/15/2021 7:10 AM

I did wonder if it was clutch, either it was smoked and didn't take the expected bite out of that factory 450 power or he just missed it entirely?

Whatever happened, it was savage, hope he's healed up fast and back on top of his game.
Was seriously moving prior to that wasn't he, love to see it.

|

8/15/2021 7:45 AM

I think the throttle stuck.

After the bike flips and lands back in its wheels it seems to accelerate more before it tips over again.

|

8/15/2021 7:52 AM

It certainly looked pretty flighty, definitely looked like it picked up once the back wheel touched down again like you say, but I'm not sure if it would have done that anyway, like without the throttle stuck, simply from being unloaded and the wheel being at speed?

|

8/15/2021 7:59 AM

Looked like he’s just tall, weight back, full gas, full compression and the front hits a little bump as it starts to rebound.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2021 9:15 AM

LungButter wrote:

I think the throttle stuck.

After the bike flips and lands back in its wheels it seems to accelerate more before it tips ...more

That was my instant assumption as well. Seems too violent to just be rebound. Someone show me a video of a factory bike rebounding into a loop out and I'll believe that's what happened. At this point it seems like we might not find out until Aaron says what it was.

|

8/15/2021 9:52 AM

Richy wrote:

I did wonder if it was clutch, either it was smoked and didn't take the expected bite out of that factory 450 power or he just ...more

Who is grabbing the clutch right at that point after landing from the jump??

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

8/15/2021 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2021 10:38 AM

I certainly wouldn't be, but I'm not fucking pinned on a 450... the reliance on the clutch to meter power is at a high for some of those guys.

Not a question of grabbing it, but a question of using it as part of your method of power delivery. Or if you have a finger on it to prevent exactly what happened there, but it doesn't behave as you'd expect due to heat / wear.

Not even saying it happened, just one of my personal initial thoughts of 'what if' mate.

|

8/15/2021 11:05 AM

Does AP run air forks? Maybe something happened internally and caused an extreme rebound? Either way I'm glad for the most part he's okay.

|

8/15/2021 11:22 AM

Crush wrote:

Looked like he’s just tall, weight back, full gas, full compression and the front hits a little bump as it starts to rebound.

I agree, he landed right in a bump and the bike compressed just right.

|

8/15/2021 11:23 AM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

Who is grabbing the clutch right at that point after landing from the jump??

Not anyone racing at Unadilla yesterday.

|

8/15/2021 1:44 PM

Looked like when he landed his shock compressed and when his front wheel hit the ground it was immediately followed by a braking bump while he landed on the throttle. Hence the violent slap back wheelie. Crazy wreck and glad he is ok. I thought he was going to win.

|

8/15/2021 3:44 PM

My observation: He was on the gas big time with all his weight over the rear for drive in the loose soil.

My guess: The soil and traction changed and the wheel suddenly hooked up.

My observation: He flipped it.

My hope: He's back at it real soon. Exiting guy to watch, great personality too.

|

8/15/2021 4:12 PM

felpro wrote:

My observation: He was on the gas big time with all his weight over the rear for drive in the loose soil.

My guess: The soil ...more

wink
|

Hello..Vital?..

8/15/2021 4:18 PM

Yeah, but y'all don't know shit.

|

8/15/2021 5:29 PM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/15/2021 6:24 PM

Is it possible that he just looped out?

|

8/15/2021 9:12 PM

The mechanic wheeling the bike away covered the throttle with his hand when he spotted the camera.
Apart from rider/suspension issues being the cause perhaps part of Star's weight reduction program is removing the pull return cable and associated and this has been involved. Perhaps also, there is no cable: throttle-by- wire and this jolted wfo

|

8/15/2021 9:17 PM

SilverSpurs wrote:

The mechanic wheeling the bike away covered the throttle with his hand when he spotted the camera.
Apart from rider/suspension ...more

yeah, no, for sure

|

8/15/2021 10:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2021 10:17 PM

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2021 10:43 PM

Love AP for being as real as it gets in this sport. American badass.

|

8/15/2021 11:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2021 11:45 PM

ktmwoods wrote:

LOL. Get real.

Being 'real' would include Plessinger giving a reasonably detailed explanation of why he crashed in such an unusual manner, not ignoring the [machine failure?] elephant in the room.

Saying; "happy with my riding" lets the cat out of the bag.

|

8/16/2021 12:45 AM

SilverSpurs wrote:

Apart from rider/suspension ...more

There’s 2 cables in the pic above.

|

8/16/2021 1:08 AM

ktmwoods wrote:

SilverSpurs wrote:

LOL. Get real.

Being 'real' would include Plessinger giving a reasonably detailed explanation of why he crashed in such an ...more

AP said in that video he landed in a hole which jarred his hand and caused him to go wide open. If that's the truth and you don't want to believe it nothing AP says will convince you otherwise. If it was a mechanical failure neither AP or Star will ever say

|

8/16/2021 1:16 AM

Richy wrote:

I certainly wouldn't be, but I'm not fucking pinned on a 450... the reliance on the clutch to meter power is at a high for ...more

Wouldn't be on the clutch at that moment.

|

Braaaaaaaap!!

8/16/2021 1:17 AM

Gravity Cavity is a major hard landing, my guess is he simply was fucking shredding and lost control. What's with all the conspiracy theories, this shit happens

|

Braaaaaaaap!!

8/16/2021 1:53 AM

He looped out because his chain was too tight.....because the drive sprocket was pulling on it.

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

8/16/2021 3:20 AM

Shit happens to the best of us….ask RV about loop outs.

|