Look past the stone cold killer in supercross, and see Cooper Webb for who he is as a person...

Ranman68
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2021 2:26am
Cooper Webb,........"Yeah Kenny passed me, i got knocked down, and my heat race sucked balls, but".....
|
downard254
3/21/2021 3:26am
It would appear to me that the guy in the picture is speaking like a stone cold killer. Not sure where you are seeing something different.
sporkfpoon
3/21/2021 4:55am
I think last night we crossed into that territory where it becomes clear that we’re watching someone truly special. The tip of the spear is so sharp in this sport that the 5th best guy in the world is a league below the 4th, and even inside the top 3, which includes Eli freakin’ Tomac and Ken Roczen, one rider has elevated his game so much that he dominates them in every single area.
Mavetism
3/21/2021 5:10am
sporkfpoon wrote:
I think last night we crossed into that territory where it becomes clear that we’re watching someone truly special. The tip of the spear is so...
I think last night we crossed into that territory where it becomes clear that we’re watching someone truly special. The tip of the spear is so sharp in this sport that the 5th best guy in the world is a league below the 4th, and even inside the top 3, which includes Eli freakin’ Tomac and Ken Roczen, one rider has elevated his game so much that he dominates them in every single area.
Yea, I agree. And for fuck sake people gotta stop questioning about what's wrong with Kenny or Eli. They are riding insane right now, this is probably even the best Roczen we've seen in Supercross yet, it's just that Webb is better by a slight margin.

The Shop

piscokid
3/21/2021 7:10am
sporkfpoon wrote:
I think last night we crossed into that territory where it becomes clear that we’re watching someone truly special. The tip of the spear is so...
agreed. Coop had Tomac pressure and they both chased Kenny down! Amazing.....
FlaNard
3/21/2021 4:14pm
I’m still interested to see how the results change at a new venue. Ken runs all of the rounds at one stop, Eli gets the only Daytona win, and Cooper sweeps Texas. I wonder how much liking a particular venue and dirt has effected this championship.
cmotodad
3/21/2021 4:28pm
Not a Cooper fan but I think he will be the next SX champ. He is solid in all aspects at the races, physically he is healthy this year and his mental strength and race awareness is far beyond his competition. I think the drive to win, similar to RC's, gives him the edge that sets him apart from the others.
3/21/2021 4:33pm
sporkfpoon wrote:
We're talking jus sx then? Because he doesn't dominate them in the area of mx. They beat him pretty easily there.
sporkfpoon
3/21/2021 4:58pm
sporkfpoon wrote:
We're talking jus sx then? Because he doesn't dominate them in the area of mx. They beat him pretty easily there.
We’re talking this season of SX, yes.
wreckitrandy
3/21/2021 6:32pm
sporkfpoon wrote:
You may see a different Webb outdoors this year.
motodad312
3/22/2021 6:42am
I am a Roczen fan but after watching Webb Saturday night, I don't think there is any doubt Webb is the best guy out there and deserves this championship if he keeps it up. I was there and watched his ability to adapt all night. It's amazing. In the heat he was definitely losing time in the whoops and that long rhythm section. He adapted and figured it out. A quarter way through the main and he had the whoops down (and he was hitting the rhythm section at the end of the heat). And mistakes - he just doesn't make any. You can see Kenny and Eli with little mistakes here and there. Webb - same consistency lap after lap. What he's doing is impressive.
AxlBundy
3/22/2021 7:14am
The verge of something legendary. Could be very easily looking at the 3x SX champ minus a nasty get off last year.

garasaki
3/22/2021 8:04am
motodad312 wrote:
I am a Roczen fan but after watching Webb Saturday night, I don't think there is any doubt Webb is the best guy out there and...
I am a Roczen fan but after watching Webb Saturday night, I don't think there is any doubt Webb is the best guy out there and deserves this championship if he keeps it up. I was there and watched his ability to adapt all night. It's amazing. In the heat he was definitely losing time in the whoops and that long rhythm section. He adapted and figured it out. A quarter way through the main and he had the whoops down (and he was hitting the rhythm section at the end of the heat). And mistakes - he just doesn't make any. You can see Kenny and Eli with little mistakes here and there. Webb - same consistency lap after lap. What he's doing is impressive.
Hey I don't disagree with your assertion, but I would also point out that after watching the 3 Indy rounds, it would be pretty easy to make a similar conclusion that "I don't see how Roczen could be beat this year".

Apparently supercross is a game of streaks.

And while I agree with your point about how incredibly strong Webb looked at Dallas, another interesting point is that he is not winning by large margins. Look back at some of the history of SX, and certain racers were dominating by a landslide. This year, the top 4 are typically finishing races within seconds of each other, and at some rounds, the top 10 were within 10 seconds of the leader.

I think you could make a case that Webb's Dallas domination is MORE impressive because he's winning both convincingly, but by small margins of time. When the difference between 1st and 4th is so very slim, managing to consistently ride that razors edge (versus winning by a pure difference in speed/talent) is a helluva feat.
Homey55
3/22/2021 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2021 12:21pm
FlaNard wrote:
I’m still interested to see how the results change at a new venue. Ken runs all of the rounds at one stop, Eli gets the only...
I’m still interested to see how the results change at a new venue. Ken runs all of the rounds at one stop, Eli gets the only Daytona win, and Cooper sweeps Texas. I wonder how much liking a particular venue and dirt has effected this championship.
Hometown races coming up for Cooper. It will be hard to bet against him.
* close to hometown
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/22/2021 1:13pm
Imagine how Coop's rivalry with AC drove a chip coming out of amateurs; I think that fuel still burns pretty hot.
motomike137
3/22/2021 1:21pm
sporkfpoon wrote:
You may see a different Webb outdoors this year.
It's not like he isn't capable outdoors, just look at his 250 days. Once he put his mind to it he got it done (with a bum wrist if I recall). Let's say he goes on and wins this SX crown I have to believe he will want to put his stamp on the outdoors as well. Maybe he doesn't get it done this year but I think his ego probably wants him to be considered one of the greats when he is finished racing and I think he has to have at least one 450 MX title on his resume.
motomike137
3/22/2021 1:22pm
Imagine how Coop's rivalry with AC drove a chip coming out of amateurs; I think that fuel still burns pretty hot.
Even now everyone fawns over AC even though Coop has bettered him and then some. That is fuel for sure.
3/22/2021 1:49pm
It's not like he isn't capable outdoors, just look at his 250 days. Once he put his mind to it he got it done (with a...
It's not like he isn't capable outdoors, just look at his 250 days. Once he put his mind to it he got it done (with a bum wrist if I recall). Let's say he goes on and wins this SX crown I have to believe he will want to put his stamp on the outdoors as well. Maybe he doesn't get it done this year but I think his ego probably wants him to be considered one of the greats when he is finished racing and I think he has to have at least one 450 MX title on his resume.
That is going to be the most interesting storyline of the season for me. We know he's the top of the class in sx but does he bring it outdoors too? Like you said when you think of the greats they got it done in sx and mx
3/22/2021 1:58pm
Sorry guys, I acknowledge Cooper is on a streak, but for fuck sake he ain't slaughtering the field by 30 seconds or something, one bad moto and if either Ken or Eli step it up a notch, then this 2021 title is very much up for grabs.
visser62
3/22/2021 2:02pm
Coop is something special this year. It might be the perfect time, too. I think in the next few years we'll see Sexton, AC, and Ferrandis really push the level higher, and it's going to be hard to stop all three of them.
3/22/2021 2:14pm
Sorry guys, I acknowledge Cooper is on a streak, but for fuck sake he ain't slaughtering the field by 30 seconds or something, one bad moto...
Sorry guys, I acknowledge Cooper is on a streak, but for fuck sake he ain't slaughtering the field by 30 seconds or something, one bad moto and if either Ken or Eli step it up a notch, then this 2021 title is very much up for grabs.
It would take something catastrophic to happen to both Ken and Cooper for Eli to be in this. I really don't know why people still act like he has a realistic chance, in my opinion he hasn't since round 5 or 6.
ShawdowGlen
3/22/2021 2:58pm
Even now everyone fawns over AC even though Coop has bettered him and then some. That is fuel for sure.
So true.

I like AC....great kid, great personality....great talent. ...but he's cracked under pressure a number of times and he can't keep himself off the ground/off the injured list.

Weege mentions in one of his latest shows that Cooper doesn't seem to be a fan favorite. I assume it's due to his personality.

That's one of the things I like MOST about CW...he doesn't bullshit, he's not a kiss-ass, he tells it like it is, he takes blame when it's on him....no excuses. He's a scrapper. He's tenacious.

Sadly, people like CW are frowned on in today's pussified social media "likes" world we live in.

I'll take a DV or CW type personality any day of the week. Those are the kind of people I want to surround myself with.

3/22/2021 3:24pm
Sorry guys, I acknowledge Cooper is on a streak, but for fuck sake he ain't slaughtering the field by 30 seconds or something, one bad moto...
It would take something catastrophic to happen to both Ken and Cooper for Eli to be in this. I really don't know why people still act...
It would take something catastrophic to happen to both Ken and Cooper for Eli to be in this. I really don't know why people still act like he has a realistic chance, in my opinion he hasn't since round 5 or 6.
Really, many years we have seen failures where riders lose 25 points in a single night.
Early in the year we saw Kenny peak, now we are seeing Cooper peak, whos to know if Eli is at a peak now or will peak higher soon?
We have heard opinions in the past how and when riders try to peak at a certain time.
Cooper is only winning by small margins, I would be better convinced if he was winning by 10 seconds or more.
motomike137
3/22/2021 3:31pm
So true. I like AC....great kid, great personality....great talent. ...but he's cracked under pressure a number of times and he can't keep himself off the ground/off...
So true.

I like AC....great kid, great personality....great talent. ...but he's cracked under pressure a number of times and he can't keep himself off the ground/off the injured list.

Weege mentions in one of his latest shows that Cooper doesn't seem to be a fan favorite. I assume it's due to his personality.

That's one of the things I like MOST about CW...he doesn't bullshit, he's not a kiss-ass, he tells it like it is, he takes blame when it's on him....no excuses. He's a scrapper. He's tenacious.

Sadly, people like CW are frowned on in today's pussified social media "likes" world we live in.

I'll take a DV or CW type personality any day of the week. Those are the kind of people I want to surround myself with.

This is exactly why I loved Bob Hannah back in the day Smile
Kasims
Fantasy
3964th
3/22/2021 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2021 2:26am
Really, many years we have seen failures where riders lose 25 points in a single night. Early in the year we saw Kenny peak, now we...
Really, many years we have seen failures where riders lose 25 points in a single night.
Early in the year we saw Kenny peak, now we are seeing Cooper peak, whos to know if Eli is at a peak now or will peak higher soon?
We have heard opinions in the past how and when riders try to peak at a certain time.
Cooper is only winning by small margins, I would be better convinced if he was winning by 10 seconds or more.
Exactly, even Herlings said being up by 160pts over second place in MXGP doesn’t mean a jack shit sometimes, when everybody else thought its already in the bag for him.
3/22/2021 3:51pm
So true. I like AC....great kid, great personality....great talent. ...but he's cracked under pressure a number of times and he can't keep himself off the ground/off...
So true.

AC has 10x the personality and charisma than Webb. And really anyone on the gate that's why he's a fan favorite. And Webb is infinitely the better racer so I doubt he's bothered by it
ShawdowGlen
3/22/2021 3:57pm
This is exactly why I loved Bob Hannah back in the day Smile
The world would go all head-explody if Hannah was on the scene today.

Hannah is on my Mt Rushmore.
3/22/2021 5:05pm
Really, many years we have seen failures where riders lose 25 points in a single night. Early in the year we saw Kenny peak, now we...
Tomac could gain a race worth of points on both Roczen and Webb and he would still only be tied for second place, fifteen points down from Webb. Sure anything can happen but I think it’s safe to say he isn’t defending his title.

Post a reply to: Look past the stone cold killer in supercross, and see Cooper Webb for who he is as a person...

The Latest