Local Racing... What really grinds my gears. (South Carolina)

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2021 6:22 PM

So I'm 19 right I listen to all sorts of media content and all I hear about is how good local racing used to be. It really disappoints me how bad local racing is in my area. Now I've only been racing for about 3-4 years now I started late. I hear all about these raining facilities killing local racing and what not, but I don't believe that is the case. I believe these promoters aren't willing to change with the times and cater to the riders. They want to follow the same format as all the big amateur nationals and give everybody their own special class. Which in turn kills the number of riders on the gate and kills the turnout because the average guy doesn't want to watch 20-30 classes run in between their moto's.

Now the number of riders in the area isn't the problem anybody in the area knows that mid east, sorcs, nshca, and pretty much any offroad race will pull a great turnout no matter the conditions. Due to that fact that the schedule is very time friendly, real racing actually happens (not a 4 lapper where whoever gets the start and has half a brain wins), and did I mention its cheaper.

My question is at what point will some of these local motocross promoters get with the times and try different formats and try to cater to the riders. Or are some of these local promoters just going to be satisfied with sub par turnouts and everyone feeling like they paid too much and rode too little. Its not like a good high seat time format is impossible. I hear nothing but good things about the othg races and the old timers races that I hear keefer promoting all the time.

And just to be clear I did post a post like this on the South Carolina motocross Facebook page trying to get the attention of some of the promoters and pretty much what i got from the one promoter who decided to throw his 2 cents in was that its the riders duty to promote the race and they don't have the staff that a mid east or a sorcs type race has. Which I found to be a bit frustration and why I'm making this post

I really don't know why Im posting this, maybe it will make me feel better idk. But if any of you guys know mx promoters in the south east sc/ga/nc area some of us are really wanting a halfway decent local motocross series. Honestly I feel like im missing out along with many others. Ive gotten to race on real 30 min moto in my short racing career and there where only 5 dudes in it and it was the best time ever ever had doing a moto race.

|

4/19/2021 6:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2021 3:26 PM

I’ve mentioned this before, too many classes result in a 12 hour long race day for maybe 15 to 20 minutes of track time.

In my opinion, trim it down to:
A
B
C
Vet
125 two stroke
Women's
85cc
65cc
50cc

Let the big bikes run two 15 minute motos + 1 lap.

The problem is all the promoters want the AMA sanctioned event which forces them to run all the other 20 classes

*Edit - forgot to include Women's class

|

4/19/2021 6:53 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

I’ve mentioned this before, too many classes result in a 12 hour long race day for maybe 15 to 20 minutes of track time.

In ...more

Our local outlaw series chooses to run 30 some odd classes. and when I asked him about it and how we need longer motos he just said they where following the Loretta's class list. Is the 20 classes really a requirement for an ama sanctioned event? all the motocross stuff I've ever done had been outlaw/non sanctioned.

I think a 2 day format could really work well. with maybe a 15 minute practice session and 2 20 minute motos. and maybe stagger them to where you are there no longer than 2.5-3 hours from when you do your first practice to your last moto. so maybe a 5 hour race day. Really all I want is a promoter to do something different. it blows me away how they can watch offroad run an event down the road with a 500 rider turnout and somehow thing the riders are the problem.

|

4/19/2021 7:01 PM

bh wrote:

Our local outlaw series chooses to run 30 some odd classes. and when I asked him about it and how we need longer motos he just ...more

Just depends. You have a small % of racers who are trying to qualify for LL’s and need the sanctioning to do so. Then there’s another % of guys who aren’t necessarily chasing the LL qualifying but DO care about the local District points championship. The rest of the racers are the ones who don’t care about District points or if the event is AMA sanction not.

I don’t think 2-day formats would work well. You need to think about the average racer (or racing family) who are time crunched already and find it difficult to dedicate an entire Saturday or Sunday to be gone at the track. The off-road guys have it figured out...show up, run a short practice, race, out in 5 to 7 hours.

|

4/19/2021 7:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2021 7:09 PM

We went to a small race yesterday had rained a bunch so that kept people away crowd was not very big. Everything started late then we run a 30 minute intermission at 3:00 that turned into at least 45 minutes. That is the 1 thing that really gets me is not starting on time and just dragging it out. Let's run this and get out of here long drives back home. Too many classes and it is out of control. I've almost quit racing myself just so we can get out earlier as vets are dead last it seems like.

|

4/19/2021 7:08 PM

We have a local promoter who runs over 60 classes.
SIXTY!

|

4/19/2021 7:14 PM

there is a huge speed diference from vet A to Vet B and C.....run vet A's with an expert class....

|

4/19/2021 7:25 PM

I usually do a couple races a year. When I’m not at the races I wonder what I miss. So I show up and as I’m sitting there waiting for my 10 minutes of track time I curse myself for showing up and tell myself I’m done going to these things. Then 3 months later I’m back at the races...

|

4/19/2021 8:18 PM

Totally agree that local mx needs to follow the offroad formula. I will never race mx again after racing harescrambles. I show up a half hour before my race, sign up, put in 90-120min, and go the fuck home. It's dope.

|

4/19/2021 8:19 PM

vetmxr wrote:

there is a huge speed diference from vet A to Vet B and C.....run vet A's with an expert class....

Agreed, but why do we need Vet A-B-C in the first place? This is exactly how you get back into the “everyone needs their own class to feel competitive” mentality.

The off-road community is proving the model works. I can’t understand why the moto community is so resistant to change.

|

4/20/2021 3:52 AM

yak651 wrote:

I usually do a couple races a year. When I’m not at the races I wonder what I miss. So I show up and as I’m sitting there ...more

I know what to expect now when I show up to these things I usually only race when it’s close by, a track I really like, or I just want to “support the sport”. Not to mention it’s a pretty shitty feeling to show up and race 2-3 classes and end up paying double what it cost to race an off-road race.

|

4/20/2021 4:01 AM

vetmxr wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:

Agreed, but why do we need Vet A-B-C in the first place? This is exactly how you get back into the “everyone needs their own ...more

Honestly I think with short motos the vet classes are needed, because only being a 4 lap races, guys gotta move really quick and make passes to get up front, but as we do longer motos I would think that sense of I need to go now will go away. But who knows.

I raced sportsman B at 3 of the gnccs last year. I lined up every weekend knowing I wasn’t going to win I was a 10-20th place guys in a class that always had 45-80 people. It was a blast. I feel like the only time the everyone needs their own class type deal rears it head is when there are 5 dudes on the gate and a speed difference will show. But make it 20 and chances are everyone will be battling and having a good time and won’t be thinking about being “competitive”

|

4/20/2021 4:14 AM

A few local tracks do OP and split up the classes from time to time. Mini's in the AM (50's, 65's, 85's), break for track prep, and big bike in the PM (Nov/Beg, AM, Ex). This is pretty nice as you can get your motos in and not wait over an hour to get back out on the track. Would be nice if tracks would experiment with doing this on race day. Mini's in the AM, big bike in the PM. and flip it. Problem is if a whole family is racing, its still an all day event. But it's easier for pops to chase around junior without his moto gear on.

|

4/20/2021 4:22 AM

In the uk we have a good mix of youth and adult events.
Most adult only events local to me will run expert/pro class, then A,B,C classes for the rest.
You get 15min timed practice/qualifying which they use to split you into groups A,B,C.
Then its 3 races per class, 15min motos for ABC & 20min for expert/pro.
each class is generally a full line up of 40 riders.

Youth events are generally split into 50cc, 65cc, 85cc small wheel, 85cc bigwheel (supermini) , youth 125/250f then normally and adult class of some sorts too.
Most classes will generally be full 40 rider gates or close too.

Never understand why you guys have to have sooo many classes in the states. It must suck racing against 5 people for just a few laps.

|

4/20/2021 4:30 AM

SoCal's REM is a good model for promoters. They run 7 races with mixed classes and 2 gates, 15 minute motos for am's and 20 minutes for pros, if you're in the last race, you are generally out of there by 2:00.

|

4/20/2021 5:10 AM

Bring back split programs, for the love of god

|

4/20/2021 7:18 AM

vetmxr wrote:

Just start Vet's at 50. Run them all together. Under 50 you run A,B or C.

|

4/20/2021 7:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2021 7:33 AM

vetmxr wrote:

dcg141 wrote:

So a 49 year old who went A at 17 has to race the fastest and bravest kids around. Good idea. I'm all for less classes... and more common sense.

|

4/20/2021 7:51 AM

vetmxr wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:

Agreed, but why do we need Vet A-B-C in the first place? This is exactly how you get back into the “everyone needs their own ...more

Not sure how off-road stuff is done in your area, but here even off-road vet classes are split up. They mix them in with other classes and start them on different lines.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/20/2021 8:30 AM

vetmxr wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Not sure how off-road stuff is done in your area, but here even off-road vet classes are split up. They mix them in with other ...more

I learned on Sunday when I got taken out in the first turn by a kid doing kid things that there is a good reason to split 40+ into a separate start from the 18-30 year olds in the C class. This was my first hare scramble where there was just one C class, and the start was a cluster. I have never seen that much carnage on a 40 C starting line.

I would like to try MX racing too, but I really don't want to sit around all day to run 2 10 minute races.

|

4/20/2021 8:45 AM

Photo

These are the local classes in south Ga/north Fl. Not sure you’ll get perfect structures but I think ama has the best classes.
|

4/20/2021 9:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2021 9:04 AM

byke wrote:

Totally agree that local mx needs to follow the offroad formula. I will never race mx again after racing harescrambles. I show ...more

Same here except that we race 1-2 motos/year just for the change. Otherwise, it's all enduros (some of them 2-day) and hare scrambles. When we do race MX, I race 2-3 classes: 50+ for sure and then whatever else I fit into... 250B, 40+, etc.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2019 Husqvarna TX300
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

4/20/2021 9:22 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Not sure how off-road stuff is done in your area, but here even off-road vet classes are split up. They mix them in with other ...more

If we must have Vet A-B-C, that's fine, but they should all run on the same gate drop. Sign up as Vet A - B or C to establish the classification, but it's then up to the scoring folks to figure out individual "class" placement as they cross the finish line.

Shouldn't be that hard....the Vet A guys are going to be up front during the moto, and then I would expect a few of the faster B guys to possibly mix in the with slower A guys and likewise with the fast and slow B-C guys. With this model, you have all the Vet guys racing at the same time so the time to get through the class is overall faster and the riders have more competition on the track to battle with. Win-win.

|

4/20/2021 9:54 AM

pelosi826 wrote:

A few local tracks do OP and split up the classes from time to time. Mini's in the AM (50's, 65's, 85's), break for track ...more

Yeah I like this idea a lot.

|

4/20/2021 9:56 AM

vetmxr wrote:

dcg141 wrote:

I'm against this because at 39 I want nothing to do with racing idiot teenagers. I have no problem with one vet class though. I don't care how I finish just want to battle with someone.

|

4/20/2021 10:14 AM

ElliotB16 wrote: Photo

These are the local classes in south Ga/north Fl. Not sure you’ll get perfect structures but I think ama has the best ...more

Pretty sure we don't need (5) 50cc classes (4) 65cc classes and (4) 85cc classes for local races (ok for a LL qualifier). Also Vet Open can go away, can maybe see a need for Vet Novice if there is no a & b/c for the age classes. Also what is Vet warrior??

|

4/20/2021 11:30 AM

yamahaha131 wrote:

We have a local promoter who runs over 60 classes.
SIXTY!

Sounds like Swapmoto series here in socal!

|

4/20/2021 11:39 AM

I have no problem with multiple classes. I'd like to have a shot at racing and maybe winning against guys who are about my speed. If I had to race the 450 B class, I'd get absolutely smoked. Let's face it, there's a good chance I'd get smoked in 450 C, too. In 50+ Intermediate, however, I'm competitive.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/20/2021 11:43 AM

Went to big PNW race last weekend. 23 classes but it seemed to go over pretty smooth/fast, had a good time.

|

4/20/2021 11:49 AM

mxtech1 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:

If we must have Vet A-B-C, that's fine, but they should all run on the same gate drop. Sign up as Vet A - B or C to establish ...more

Just so I follow you. Combine 30A, 30B/C, 40A, 40B, 45+, 50+ and 60+ into 1 gate drop.

That would take a 125+ man starting gate since these are some of the highest rider entry classes. First corner would be gnarly and the scoring protests would be epic.

I'm game.

|