Litpro vs crossbox

pietscher
5/11/2020 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 10:57pm
Hey! Always keep in mind that the watches only record 1 position sample per second (at maximum) and additionally the positioning accuracy is not as good...
Hey!

Always keep in mind that the watches only record 1 position sample per second (at maximum) and additionally the positioning accuracy is not as good as higher-definition gps systems (like the Crossbox CBX20), because the antenna is much smaller. This can lead to lap time deviations of 1-2 seconds which is not accurate enough for me (if you are a more advanced rider, then 1-2 seconds up and down make a huge difference, you will never be able to seriously work on lowering your times because you never know if you really had a progress or the times were just wrong.

Best,
Nino
pietscher wrote:
That's not quite right, Nino ;) It is true that most GPS watches only deliver one position per second, but the lap time deviations are [b]usually...
That's not quite right, Nino Wink It is true that most GPS watches only deliver one position per second, but the lap time deviations are usually in the range of less than 0.3 seconds. If you define your finish line in the middle of a straightaway, you can interpolate very well. See this blog post on my website:
Blog Post on mxbuddyapp.com "Oldie but a goldie"

I analyzed a lot of race and practice lap times and saw very few riders whose lap times were so consistant that they were consistently in this area. Motocross is not karting or Formula 1. The accuracy of a GPS watch is sufficient for most riders.

For analyzes on a short supercross track it is important to be very accurate! That’s for sure. Also for analyzes of short sections. Then a GPS device with higher precision and which provides data with >=10Hz(like the XGPS160) is necessary. If you want to know what to expect from a device like the XGPS for analyzing faster lines, read this post: Finding faster lines

Riders who are only interested in lap times (and possibly also section times) can work very well with a GPS watch. In good conditions, you can even (very) roughly analyze line selection. See the first blog post.

One more thing to keep in mind when analyzing lines. You need to carry devices like LITPro, XGPS or the CBX on the helmet for them to work well. If the device is mounted on the helmet, the GPS positions can easily deviate >= 1m from the position your tires were at! This is due to different lean angles of your bike and body. It is therefore almost impossible to tell which exact line or rut you were taking.

Apart from that, hats off the performance of Nino and his crew! The community has been waiting a long time for an Android app. Smile

Cheers,
Chris
Hey Chris! You are right, interpolating works pretty well - if the position accuracy is perfect, and you had the exact speed at point A and...
Hey Chris! You are right, interpolating works pretty well - if the position accuracy is perfect, and you had the exact speed at point A and point B (before and after the start/finish line) - only then you can achieve very little deviation. But neither the positioning accuracy nor the speed is pretty accurate with the watches and their small GPS antennas. It might be possible that in rare cases, if the weather is perfect and if there are no trees or anything that bulk off the GPS signal, you achieve one run out of 10 where you only have an average deviation of 0,3 seconds. But it is for sure not a reliable timing system. And if you ask me, if I want to time myself, I want to rely on my timing tool, otherwise it is useless. Even if 1 lap out of 10 is showing deviations of 1,5 seconds (which is highly possible with the watch), it would be too much for a serious training. But this is just my opinion, I am sure that the watch in combination with apps like mxbuddy might be the right choice for people that just ride for fun and want to have basic statistics of their moto day. PS: Thanks Chris, yes, we spent a lot of time in the past years to develop our CBX20 device and the iOS & Android app, we hope you all love it!

Best,
Nino
I don't want to argue with you, but I've never seen any deviations in lap times of 1s and more with my Garmin or Polar watches / GPS devices! Mostly the deviations are well under half a second or even less. You will hardly ever see bigger zigzags on straight lines even with a GPS watch. Where you ride straight and have approximately the same speed over a few meters, you will get good results. That’s why you’re totally fine with a GPS watch for motocross lap timing.

If you want to do deeper analyzes and have fun with technology in general (like I do Wink ), then LITPro, XGPS, CBX, Garmin GLO, etc. are the right choice for you!

Weather, tree cover and other disruptive factors will have a huge impact on devices like LITPro, CBX, etc. too! See this image from the Blog Post

I will do a few more comparisons as soon as I’m able to ride again and post the results on my blog.

Don't get me wrong! I know how much time you spent to develop Crossbox, I really do! And I also like the new developments. Just some tech talk that may help people with well-founded decisions...
FortyHat
5/12/2020 12:07am
I've shaved the most time off of laps on days when I decided to not be a bitch. I love my Litpro too though.
JoePit
2/21/2021 5:12am
I bought the CBX20 last week and got to use it over the weekend and it worked flawlessly. The only complaint I have and it's not a huge issue at all is the jump data reads in meters. I'm sure they could easily add this feature to the app like they did with KMPH to MPH. Couple of my friends have Litpro and the latest model is missing a couple features that the previous model has.

The upfront cost is a little more than Litpro but the yearly is a lot cheaper and they have a option to purchase a lifetime subscription. Cost really doesn't matter though if the product doesn't work but I've used Litpro and I believe this to be a superior product. Asides from all the data you get the download is super fast (under a minute) and you don't need internet.

I honestly would have bought a Litpro but I use android and I've been waiting years for Litpro to cover our with something and they failed. Call it a blessing though as I'm real happy with the Crossbox 20.

eddievee783
5/17/2021 7:03pm
I just received my Crossbox about 2 weeks ago. Something I should have ordered a while ago! Works great! Breaks down your laps and segments really well. I personally have not owned a Litpro but have some friends at that the track that use them and without knowing all the technical stuff seem to be similar. Crossbox is Euro based but you can see there is a good following here in the US as well and you can put any track anywhere on the app if it isnt there. One more cool feature is your able to synch your heart rate monitor with the unit as well. Moto download times go pretty quick as well! I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a lap timer, and if you were like me waiting for litpro to make something for andriod, this thing works great.

The Shop

kNewc
5/19/2021 7:34am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 7:37am
Guys that are just happening upon this thread I really hope you take a look at MXBuddy that user Pietcher created. It's very similar to the features of CrossBox (I've had a subscription) and it's a 1 time fee. You guys already have the devices set up, so it'll take you a second to try out MXBuddy.
adamdf
5/19/2021 8:20am
I see that GoPro can now sync its GPS data to the LitPro app so you dont need the Litpro hardware.

Its a bit finicky to setup so far but i will test it out more thoroughly next weekend and report my findings on whether or not this is a useful alternative.
kNewc
5/19/2021 9:47am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 10:27am
adamdf wrote:
I see that GoPro can now sync its GPS data to the LitPro app so you dont need the Litpro hardware. Its a bit finicky to...
I see that GoPro can now sync its GPS data to the LitPro app so you dont need the Litpro hardware.

Its a bit finicky to setup so far but i will test it out more thoroughly next weekend and report my findings on whether or not this is a useful alternative.
I posted in another thread but I literally just ordered a GoPro Hero 7 Black just for this reason. I was shopping all over for an XGPS160 and found the 7 Black for $200 and got that instead. Although it looks like we'll need to use a PC to actually sync the data. Which isn't a huge loss since I generally have time between motos but that's a pain. I'm going to see if there's a way you just extract the gps data from the GoPro on my phone.
5/20/2021 4:17am
adamdf wrote:
I see that GoPro can now sync its GPS data to the LitPro app so you dont need the Litpro hardware. Its a bit finicky to...

kNewc wrote:
I posted in another thread but I literally just ordered a GoPro Hero 7 Black just for this reason. I was shopping all over for an...
I posted in another thread but I literally just ordered a GoPro Hero 7 Black just for this reason. I was shopping all over for an XGPS160 and found the 7 Black for $200 and got that instead. Although it looks like we'll need to use a PC to actually sync the data. Which isn't a huge loss since I generally have time between motos but that's a pain. I'm going to see if there's a way you just extract the gps data from the GoPro on my phone.
Hey!
Crossbox CBX20 is available for €229 and gets shipped to the US as well, the accuracy of the GPS is much better compared to the Gopro and also slightly better than the Dual XGPS160. Additionally, the CBX20 records acceleration forces, heart rates, and is 100% waterproof.
5/20/2021 4:27am
kNewc wrote:
Guys that are just happening upon this thread I really hope you take a look at MXBuddy that user Pietcher created. It's very similar to the...
Guys that are just happening upon this thread I really hope you take a look at MXBuddy that user Pietcher created. It's very similar to the features of CrossBox (I've had a subscription) and it's a 1 time fee. You guys already have the devices set up, so it'll take you a second to try out MXBuddy.
Thanks for your input. But there is definitely a big difference between the two systems ... MXBuddy is cheaper, but once you really tested Crossbox in combination with the CBX20 you will know why there is a difference in price ... the app features are NOT the same ... plus, the Dual XGPS160 (which is required for the MXBuddy App) is a really low quality device. We sold hundreds of those devices and got so many customer complains that we decided to develop our own GPS hardware, the Crossbox CBX20. 30% of the Dual XGPS160 broke after 6 months and the customer support from Dual is the worst. The GPS doesn't aquire a GPS signal anymore, draines battery though it is turned off, can not be powered on anymore, just to name a few issues that we always had with this device. In my opinion, if you really want to have a high quality product and want to have it for a long period of time, Crossbox is the only way to go. And believe me, I am also a MX rider that tested everything on the market inside out.
Cheers!

kNewc
5/20/2021 4:39am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2021 5:02am
kNewc wrote:
Guys that are just happening upon this thread I really hope you take a look at MXBuddy that user Pietcher created. It's very similar to the...
Thanks for your input. But there is definitely a big difference between the two systems ... MXBuddy is cheaper, but once you really tested Crossbox in...
Thanks for your input. But there is definitely a big difference between the two systems ... MXBuddy is cheaper, but once you really tested Crossbox in combination with the CBX20 you will know why there is a difference in price ... the app features are NOT the same ... plus, the Dual XGPS160 (which is required for the MXBuddy App) is a really low quality device. We sold hundreds of those devices and got so many customer complains that we decided to develop our own GPS hardware, the Crossbox CBX20. 30% of the Dual XGPS160 broke after 6 months and the customer support from Dual is the worst. The GPS doesn't aquire a GPS signal anymore, draines battery though it is turned off, can not be powered on anymore, just to name a few issues that we always had with this device. In my opinion, if you really want to have a high quality product and want to have it for a long period of time, Crossbox is the only way to go. And believe me, I am also a MX rider that tested everything on the market inside out.
Cheers!

I would say that the Apps are similar (I've used them both..) but your GPS is better. That is obviously your bread and butter. I completely agree, pairing a GoPro and/or CrossBox or LITPro to any GPS app will gain you better results.

The best thing I liked about MXBuddy was the file import support. As you know, not all devices are supported by CrossBox and LITPro. Yet with MXBuddy I can use ANY gps that exports a gpx file. Including a $40 Chinese GPS fitness watch (That will give you terrible, terrible results lmao). Also including arduino's, rasberry pi's, I said any, right? I'm not a typical user obviously.

I also stated that they should check it out. They already have the devices, the app is cheap and made by a guy on the Forums as well. Support errbody! I've had a CrossBox subscription many times. For less than a Month of LITPro or CrossBox you can OWN MXBuddy and the dude here on the forums get's $7. How bout dat!?

I would be interested. How is your CrossBox device better than a GoPro (GPS wise)? I agree, the acceleration/gforce sensors will be better on your unit. Can I get a GPX example file from the CrossBox? I've had them from pretty much every other device including a LITPro. LITPro, GoPro, both work at 20hz. Same with an arduino/gps combo you can purchase anywhere online. For some reason manufacturers do not make these 20hz GPS units in "Dongle" form, like the XGPS160. I believe it needs the "computer" part (like the arduino I mentioned) to bring all the necessary sensors together and it's too large to be a dongle, and turns into something like your CrossBox device.
5/20/2021 5:29am
kNewc wrote:
Thanks for your input. But there is definitely a big difference between the two systems ... MXBuddy is cheaper, but once you really tested Crossbox in...
Cheers!

kNewc wrote:
I would say that the Apps are similar (I've used them both..) but your GPS is better. That is obviously your bread and butter. I completely...
I would say that the Apps are similar (I've used them both..) but your GPS is better. That is obviously your bread and butter. I completely agree, pairing a GoPro and/or CrossBox or LITPro to any GPS app will gain you better results.

The best thing I liked about MXBuddy was the file import support. As you know, not all devices are supported by CrossBox and LITPro. Yet with MXBuddy I can use ANY gps that exports a gpx file. Including a $40 Chinese GPS fitness watch (That will give you terrible, terrible results lmao). Also including arduino's, rasberry pi's, I said any, right? I'm not a typical user obviously.

I also stated that they should check it out. They already have the devices, the app is cheap and made by a guy on the Forums as well. Support errbody! I've had a CrossBox subscription many times. For less than a Month of LITPro or CrossBox you can OWN MXBuddy and the dude here on the forums get's $7. How bout dat!?

I would be interested. How is your CrossBox device better than a GoPro (GPS wise)? I agree, the acceleration/gforce sensors will be better on your unit. Can I get a GPX example file from the CrossBox? I've had them from pretty much every other device including a LITPro. LITPro, GoPro, both work at 20hz. Same with an arduino/gps combo you can purchase anywhere online. For some reason manufacturers do not make these 20hz GPS units in "Dongle" form, like the XGPS160. I believe it needs the "computer" part (like the arduino I mentioned) to bring all the necessary sensors together and it's too large to be a dongle, and turns into something like your CrossBox device.
The Crossbox CBX20 has a very large antenna implemented and you definetely need that flat space to achieve really good accuracy results from the GPS. If I have time in the next week, I would like to make a comparison video with Gopro and Crossbox to really determine the differences. In this video you can see how accurate Crossbox is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKOX2NzGE_0

kNewc
5/20/2021 5:42am
Cheers!

kNewc wrote:
I would say that the Apps are similar (I've used them both..) but your GPS is better. That is obviously your bread and butter. I completely...

The Crossbox CBX20 has a very large antenna implemented and you definetely need that flat space to achieve really good accuracy results from the GPS. If...
The Crossbox CBX20 has a very large antenna implemented and you definetely need that flat space to achieve really good accuracy results from the GPS. If I have time in the next week, I would like to make a comparison video with Gopro and Crossbox to really determine the differences. In this video you can see how accurate Crossbox is:

Yessss!!! That would be cool. I wonder why LITPro considers the GoPro the same as an "HD GPS". (Also what is an HD GPS lol?)

Which GoPro will you use?

I don't have my GoPro yet so I have nothing to back it up. I got a file from a guy on some other forums and we both confirmed they were 20hz gpx files. 20hz files look similar in the GPX file programs we use when comparing my arduino 20hz units and the GoPro files. Of course you can always get better GPS units. I wouldn't think 50hz would be useful as a lot of old forums point to, but scaling it down to 25hz may get you even better results than 20hz obviously.

My wife decided last night that the GoPro should be last and I need to focus on a new truck so I think I need to step away from these things for awhile lol. But she also said I should get an Apple Watch Silly

5/20/2021 6:13am
kNewc wrote:

The Crossbox CBX20 has a very large antenna implemented and you definetely need that flat space to achieve really good accuracy results from the GPS. If...

kNewc wrote:
Yessss!!! That would be cool. I wonder why LITPro considers the GoPro the same as an "HD GPS". (Also what is an HD GPS lol?) Which...
Yessss!!! That would be cool. I wonder why LITPro considers the GoPro the same as an "HD GPS". (Also what is an HD GPS lol?)

I don't have my GoPro yet so I have nothing to back it up. I got a file from a guy on some other forums and we both confirmed they were 20hz gpx files. 20hz files look similar in the GPX file programs we use when comparing my arduino 20hz units and the GoPro files. Of course you can always get better GPS units. I wouldn't think 50hz would be useful as a lot of old forums point to, but scaling it down to 25hz may get you even better results than 20hz obviously.

My wife decided last night that the GoPro should be last and I need to focus on a new truck so I think I need to step away from these things for awhile lol. But she also said I should get an Apple Watch Silly

Well, the Hz are not telling anything regarding the accuracy, just the amount of data samples per second. F.e. 20Hz is useless if you have inaccurate positioning. The most import thing is the accuracy of each positioning sample. We even made some tests with top level skiing teams and the accuracy of the CBX20 is insane compared to light barrier timing systems.

kNewc
5/20/2021 6:16am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2021 6:22am

kNewc wrote:
Yessss!!! That would be cool. I wonder why LITPro considers the GoPro the same as an "HD GPS". (Also what is an HD GPS lol?) Which...

Well, the Hz are not telling anything regarding the accuracy, just the amount of data samples per second. F.e. 20Hz is useless if you have inaccurate...
Well, the Hz are not telling anything regarding the accuracy, just the amount of data samples per second. F.e. 20Hz is useless if you have inaccurate positioning. The most import thing is the accuracy of each positioning sample. We even made some tests with top level skiing teams and the accuracy of the CBX20 is insane compared to light barrier timing systems.

Can you give me some sort of hardware comparison? Your hz rates? Your antenna?
I go by hardware data not what the ski team says!
JoePit
5/20/2021 7:38am
Using the CBX20 in the US and we love it. I was a little worried about customer service but these guys always answer my questions. I made a request for a change in the app and it was implemented in the next update a week later.
5/20/2021 8:52am
I've just discovered Crossbox after I lost my LITPro last week and haven't been able to buy a replacement LITPro that does everything I want (overlaying laps, accel/decel analysis, HR measurement and airtime analytics. It looks like Crossbox is also a subscription service, but cheaper than LITPro and the device doesn't look like a brick and I don;t have to mess around with GoPros and Apple watches to make it work.

The only thing I was thinking is if there's any way of tethering it to the helmet so if it gets knocked off the velcro it'll stay attached and I won't lose it? My LITPro fell off three times in the five years I had it, and the last time I didn't realise and I lost it. Would like to not repeat this expensive mistake if at all possible.

Cheers
Simon
pietscher
5/20/2021 10:37am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2021 12:28am
Hey there. I’m Chris, the developer of the MX Buddy app. And there are a couple of things I need to correct.

1. The XGPS160 is NOT required to use the MX Buddy app. You can use every GPS device you want (e.g. Polar, Garmin), except the CBX20 (and the old LITPro device which is not produced anymore). The Crossbox is designed to just work with the Crossbox app, to avoid people buying the device and then use another app without the Crossbox subscription. That's a shame, but it absolutely makes sense for their business.

2. The XGPS160 is not that bad in terms of quality and stability. I own several devices for testing different firmware and stuff. One of these devices I use for my personal riding all the time. Bought it from Crossbox-Nino years ago ;-) All devices still work like the first day. I also hardly get any reports from customers about broken devices.

3. The XGPS160 was the device Crossbox was selling itself a while ago. They stated at their website, that this device is the future of Motocross analytics and has superb accuracy and only 0.05s deviation in time. Many of the world’s top riders, like Jordi Tixier, where using it to improve their lap times. Now that Crossbox has built their own device, the XGPS160 is crap. Alright, I get it…

4. Now a little more on timing accuracy. Riding an oval on a flat surface with clear view to the sky (see video on „How accurate is Crossbox“) is a very trivial task for any GPS sensor. Even a cheap GPS watch will be pretty accurate (in terms of timing) in this case (due to interpolation). The XGPS160 delivers positions at 10Hz. That is more than enough even for analyzing short segments and line choices. (See my comparison at the end of this post for a real life example.)

5. Now let’s take a look at position accuracy. What accuracy do we actually need? 50cm? 10cm or even 1cm? All the apps mentioned show the lines as an overlay on a map (Google, Apple, etc.). These maps are updated every now and then and will more or less represent the real track layout and of course not the ruts that developed the day you were riding. So will you see the exact line you were riding on the track? Think about it. In addition the device is mounted on top of the helmet (or the front fender), which is more than 1m over the ground. So what happens if you lean your bike in a corner? The position of your device will be nowhere near your tires (when projected onto the ground). If you just lean your bike 30° the deviation is already 50cm (!) when mounted to the fender (on the helmet even more). So again, how much accuracy do you need?

6. App Features. The CBX20 has an internal sensor that records acceleration and forces. So if you want to know how far you jumped (for whatever reason) or want to get more insight into your braking and acceleration, the CBX20 is one device that is capable of such things. The XGPS160 is not directly, only braking and acceleration via speed values, which is less accurate. MX Buddy has more features than Crossbox, like multiple data sources, live timing, a bike setups log, bike maintenance and a lot more. Not everyone needs all this stuff, I know. But it’s there ;-) On the other hand, Crossbox is available for Android, which is pretty cool! I know many riders were waiting for that for a very long time.

I was at my local track today and recorded with my Garmin Instinct and the XGPS160. To give you guys an impression of what is possible with the devices, here is comparison from within MX Buddy:

Cheers,
Chris 🤙

Tim507
5/20/2021 10:44am
MX Buddy is I Phone only?
Tim507
5/20/2021 10:47am
This thread (based in HR Analysis) is very interesting as I'm interested in knowing where on the track and what I am doing when my HR spikes. Thus I can amend my activity via knowledge. What say the App Developers?
pietscher
5/20/2021 11:02am
Tim507 wrote:
This thread (based in HR Analysis) is very interesting as I'm interested in knowing where on the track and what I am doing when my HR...
This thread (based in HR Analysis) is very interesting as I'm interested in knowing where on the track and what I am doing when my HR spikes. Thus I can amend my activity via knowledge. What say the App Developers?
This thread is about LITPro vs Crossbox 😉

If your HR spikes in specific regions on the track, you are maybe holding your breath. You could set yourself “breathing reminders” on jumps or straightaways.
Tim507
5/20/2021 11:03am
Tim507 wrote:
MX Buddy is I Phone only?
pietscher wrote:
Yes
Any future applications for Android?
ricozinn
5/20/2021 11:14am
Hi from LITPro! We're here just enjoying the conversation. We've got a bigger team of people working on LITPro than we've ever had in our 9 year history and are excited for what we've got in the works. It's also cheaper than it's ever been to get lap times with LITPro (including completely free if you already have a Garmin or Polar watch). If you are new to tracking lap times we'd recommend you start there. And if you are interested in more advanced features and analytics including comparing against riding buddies or seeing leaderboards at your track then we think we offer the absolute best platform at a great price.

Most of all we want you to get hooked on timing your laps. It makes your day at the track so much more enjoyable and purposeful. Good job Crossbox and MXBuddy for helping us bring attention to this and helping us grow the market!
MDana87
5/20/2021 12:27pm
Tim507 wrote:
This thread (based in HR Analysis) is very interesting as I'm interested in knowing where on the track and what I am doing when my HR...
Also, heart rate spikes generally aren't immediate. During a moto, if you have a sketchy moment or hold your breath for example, it might take 5sec or so for your heart rate to spike. 5sec at 25mph is just over 180feet. So, when analyzing heart rate spikes on a GPS based location trace, you probably want to be looking some time or distance behind the spike for a more accurate location of the cause.
kNewc
5/21/2021 7:13am
ricozinn wrote:
Hi from LITPro! We're here just enjoying the conversation. We've got a bigger team of people working on LITPro than we've ever had in our 9...
Hi from LITPro! We're here just enjoying the conversation. We've got a bigger team of people working on LITPro than we've ever had in our 9 year history and are excited for what we've got in the works. It's also cheaper than it's ever been to get lap times with LITPro (including completely free if you already have a Garmin or Polar watch). If you are new to tracking lap times we'd recommend you start there. And if you are interested in more advanced features and analytics including comparing against riding buddies or seeing leaderboards at your track then we think we offer the absolute best platform at a great price.

Most of all we want you to get hooked on timing your laps. It makes your day at the track so much more enjoyable and purposeful. Good job Crossbox and MXBuddy for helping us bring attention to this and helping us grow the market!
Do you think you'll be making your own devices again in the future? Or has the proprietary software game sailed?
ricozinn
5/21/2021 7:36am
ricozinn wrote:
Hi from LITPro! We're here just enjoying the conversation. We've got a bigger team of people working on LITPro than we've ever had in our 9...

kNewc wrote:
Do you think you'll be making your own devices again in the future? Or has the proprietary software game sailed?
Yeah, we are really happy with this strategy and we're finding other electronics manufacturers are able to develop much better electronics than we are and at a much better consumer price point. Since we've moved to this strategy we've been able to add support for Garmin, Polar and Apple watches, plus the XGPS and GoPro devices. And we've got more in the works coming out soon that are going to be amazing that will dramatically broaden the LITPro moto community and add to our capabilities. I'd hesitate to describe it as "sailed", but our team is growing and we're really excited about what's coming. Thanks for asking!
5/21/2021 8:29am
pietscher wrote:
Hey there. I’m Chris, the developer of the MX Buddy app. And there are a couple of things I need to correct. [b]1.[/b] The [b]XGPS160 is...
Hey there. I’m Chris, the developer of the MX Buddy app. And there are a couple of things I need to correct.

1. The XGPS160 is NOT required to use the MX Buddy app. You can use every GPS device you want (e.g. Polar, Garmin), except the CBX20 (and the old LITPro device which is not produced anymore). The Crossbox is designed to just work with the Crossbox app, to avoid people buying the device and then use another app without the Crossbox subscription. That's a shame, but it absolutely makes sense for their business.

2. The XGPS160 is not that bad in terms of quality and stability. I own several devices for testing different firmware and stuff. One of these devices I use for my personal riding all the time. Bought it from Crossbox-Nino years ago ;-) All devices still work like the first day. I also hardly get any reports from customers about broken devices.

3. The XGPS160 was the device Crossbox was selling itself a while ago. They stated at their website, that this device is the future of Motocross analytics and has superb accuracy and only 0.05s deviation in time. Many of the world’s top riders, like Jordi Tixier, where using it to improve their lap times. Now that Crossbox has built their own device, the XGPS160 is crap. Alright, I get it…

4. Now a little more on timing accuracy. Riding an oval on a flat surface with clear view to the sky (see video on „How accurate is Crossbox“) is a very trivial task for any GPS sensor. Even a cheap GPS watch will be pretty accurate (in terms of timing) in this case (due to interpolation). The XGPS160 delivers positions at 10Hz. That is more than enough even for analyzing short segments and line choices. (See my comparison at the end of this post for a real life example.)

5. Now let’s take a look at position accuracy. What accuracy do we actually need? 50cm? 10cm or even 1cm? All the apps mentioned show the lines as an overlay on a map (Google, Apple, etc.). These maps are updated every now and then and will more or less represent the real track layout and of course not the ruts that developed the day you were riding. So will you see the exact line you were riding on the track? Think about it. In addition the device is mounted on top of the helmet (or the front fender), which is more than 1m over the ground. So what happens if you lean your bike in a corner? The position of your device will be nowhere near your tires (when projected onto the ground). If you just lean your bike 30° the deviation is already 50cm (!) when mounted to the fender (on the helmet even more). So again, how much accuracy do you need?

6. App Features. The CBX20 has an internal sensor that records acceleration and forces. So if you want to know how far you jumped (for whatever reason) or want to get more insight into your braking and acceleration, the CBX20 is one device that is capable of such things. The XGPS160 is not directly, only braking and acceleration via speed values, which is less accurate. MX Buddy has more features than Crossbox, like multiple data sources, live timing, a bike setups log, bike maintenance and a lot more. Not everyone needs all this stuff, I know. But it’s there ;-) On the other hand, Crossbox is available for Android, which is pretty cool! I know many riders were waiting for that for a very long time.

I was at my local track today and recorded with my Garmin Instinct and the XGPS160. To give you guys an impression of what is possible with the devices, here is comparison from within MX Buddy:

Cheers,
Chris 🤙

Chris, I am talking about the manufacturing quality of the Dual XGPS160. I never said the accuracy is bad, I am still saying it is good, this is exactly how we advertised the product years ago (and I want to correct you, we mentioned 0,05s not 0,01s). And at the beginning we also didn't know how bad the product was designed and how many issues we would have.

If you inspect the XGPS160, you will notice that it is using cheapest components and it is not designed in a good way. Additonally, the customer support from Dual was bad, they were not willing to cover all the costs that came up to replace the defect devices that we sold for them. We replaced them to satisfy our customers and covered all the costs including shipping from the customer to us, to Dual, from Dual back to our store and back to the customer.
Mateu28
6/3/2021 10:25pm
Hi!! Someone knows if it is possible with a crossbox device to attach and use with the litpro app? Thank you!!
pietscher
6/5/2021 1:05am
Mateu28 wrote:
Hi!! Someone knows if it is possible with a crossbox device to attach and use with the litpro app? Thank you!!
If you have the old Crossbox device (the XGPS160), then you can use it with apps like MX Buddy and LITPro. If you have the new device (the CBX20) you can't.

Post a reply to: Litpro vs crossbox

The Latest